Dwayne

Default Rose Hip Jelly

My wife made jelly from rose hips 28 years ago, and now we cant find the
recipe. Would you please give us yours? I remember a clear jelly that had
a rose flavor, she remembers mixing it with another fruit juice to make the
Jelly. We could both be right, but that is a long time to try to remember.
Thanks in advance.

Dwayne

The Joneses

Dwayne wrote:

> My wife made jelly from rose hips 28 years ago, and now we cant find the
> recipe. Would you please give us yours? I remember a clear jelly that had
> a rose flavor, she remembers mixing it with another fruit juice to make the
> Jelly. We could both be right, but that is a long time to try to remember.
> Thanks in advance.

In several of my herbals, it's mentioned that one could lay a leaf of rose
geranium (sp. Pelargonium) in the bottom of a jar and pour apple jelly over,
then can as usual. Some rose geraniums are so engineered that they don't smell
too rosy, ya gotta be picky about the variety you use. Regular geraniums won't
do it.
Edrena

Scott

In article >,
The Joneses > wrote:

> In several of my herbals, it's mentioned that one could lay a leaf of rose
> geranium (sp. Pelargonium) in the bottom of a jar and pour apple jelly over,
> then can as usual. Some rose geraniums are so engineered that they don't
> smell
> too rosy, ya gotta be picky about the variety you use. Regular geraniums
> won't
> do it.

Entirely different thing than what the OP was asking about. These are
rosehips:
<http://www.wildcrafting.com/OldWildCraft/album1/RoseHips.jpg>

In article >,
"Dwayne" > wrote:

> My wife made jelly from rose hips 28 years ago, and now we cant find the
> recipe. Would you please give us yours? I remember a clear jelly that had
> a rose flavor, she remembers mixing it with another fruit juice to make the
> Jelly. We could both be right, but that is a long time to try to remember.
> Thanks in advance.

There are many sorts of recipes. What my mother used to make was more of
a marmalade--a clear jelly (flavored from the rosehips) with chunks of
rosehips suspended in it.

As far as a jelly, is it possible that lemon juice was the added fruit
juice?
<http://www.recipegal.com/other/RoseHipJelly.htm>

Rose Hip Jelly
8 cups of rose hips
6 cups of water
1 box of certo
1/2 cup lemon juice
5 cups of sugar

Boil the rose hips for 10 - 15 min. until soft enough to crush. Crush
them and squeeze through cloth, to make juice. For every 4 cups of
juice add one box of certo and bring to a boil. Add the 1/2 cup of
lemon juice and 5 cups of sugar (1/2 tsp. of marg to prevent foam).
Buing to a boil and boil hard for 2 min. Remove from heat and pour into
sterilized jars and seal with caps and rings. The jelly has a wonderful
flavor and is the consistency of liguid honey.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

"Dwayne" > wrote:

> My wife made jelly from rose hips 28 years ago, and now we cant find the
> recipe. Would you please give us yours? I remember a clear jelly that had
> a rose flavor, she remembers mixing it with another fruit juice to make the
> Jelly. We could both be right, but that is a long time to try to remember.
> Thanks in advance.

There are many sorts of recipes. What my mother used to make was more of
a marmalade--a clear jelly (flavored from the rosehips) with chunks of
rosehips suspended in it.

As far as a jelly, is it possible that lemon juice was the added fruit
juice?
<http://www.recipegal.com/other/RoseHipJelly.htm>

Rose Hip Jelly
8 cups of rose hips
6 cups of water
1 box of certo
1/2 cup lemon juice
5 cups of sugar

Boil the rose hips for 10 - 15 min. until soft enough to crush. Crush
them and squeeze through cloth, to make juice. For every 4 cups of
juice add one box of certo and bring to a boil. Add the 1/2 cup of
lemon juice and 5 cups of sugar (1/2 tsp. of marg to prevent foam).
Buing to a boil and boil hard for 2 min. Remove from heat and pour into
sterilized jars and seal with caps and rings. The jelly has a wonderful
flavor and is the consistency of liguid honey.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
pennyaline

"Scott" wrote:

> Entirely different thing than what the OP was asking about. These are
> rosehips:
> <http://www.wildcrafting.com/OldWildCraft/album1/RoseHips.jpg>

<snip>

And speaking of rose hip jelly:

I was truly looking forward to making batches of it this year, and my roses
were cooperating with masses of blooms and gently alluring hips... until
mid-October when it inexplicably rained buckets here. Days and days, nights
and nights of rain. My rose bushes sagged to the ground, the flowers fell,
and the once seductive hips turned to mush.

I'm so mad I could spit.

<after a hard pruning, it seems that the bushes will recover>

pennyaline

"Scott" wrote:

> Entirely different thing than what the OP was asking about. These are
> rosehips:
> <http://www.wildcrafting.com/OldWildCraft/album1/RoseHips.jpg>

<snip>

And speaking of rose hip jelly:

I was truly looking forward to making batches of it this year, and my roses
were cooperating with masses of blooms and gently alluring hips... until
mid-October when it inexplicably rained buckets here. Days and days, nights
and nights of rain. My rose bushes sagged to the ground, the flowers fell,
and the once seductive hips turned to mush.

I'm so mad I could spit.

<after a hard pruning, it seems that the bushes will recover>

Henriette Kress

Scott > wrote:
> The Joneses > wrote:
>
> > In several of my herbals, it's mentioned that one could lay a leaf of rose
> > geranium (sp. Pelargonium) in the bottom of a jar and pour apple jelly over,
> > then can as usual. Some rose geraniums are so engineered that they don't smell
> > too rosy, ya gotta be picky about the variety you use. Regular geraniums won't
> > do it.

> Entirely different thing than what the OP was asking about. These are
> rosehips:
> <http://www.wildcrafting.com/OldWildCraft/album1/RoseHips.jpg>

An apple jelly with either rose petals or scented geraniums is very likely to
produce a clear jelly that tastes faintly of roses.

Rosehip jelly won't taste of roses - unless you add rose petals from one or the
other strongly scented rose (damascena, gallica, rugosa ...), or rose geranium
leaf ('Attar of Roses' after a summer in full sun, mmmmmm!), of course.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Henriette Kress

Scott > wrote:
> The Joneses > wrote:
>
> > In several of my herbals, it's mentioned that one could lay a leaf of rose
> > geranium (sp. Pelargonium) in the bottom of a jar and pour apple jelly over,
> > then can as usual. Some rose geraniums are so engineered that they don't smell
> > too rosy, ya gotta be picky about the variety you use. Regular geraniums won't
> > do it.

> Entirely different thing than what the OP was asking about. These are
> rosehips:
> <http://www.wildcrafting.com/OldWildCraft/album1/RoseHips.jpg>

An apple jelly with either rose petals or scented geraniums is very likely to
produce a clear jelly that tastes faintly of roses.

Rosehip jelly won't taste of roses - unless you add rose petals from one or the
other strongly scented rose (damascena, gallica, rugosa ...), or rose geranium
leaf ('Attar of Roses' after a summer in full sun, mmmmmm!), of course.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Henriette Kress

Scott > wrote:
> The Joneses > wrote:
>
> > In several of my herbals, it's mentioned that one could lay a leaf of rose
> > geranium (sp. Pelargonium) in the bottom of a jar and pour apple jelly over,
> > then can as usual. Some rose geraniums are so engineered that they don't smell
> > too rosy, ya gotta be picky about the variety you use. Regular geraniums won't
> > do it.

> Entirely different thing than what the OP was asking about. These are
> rosehips:
> <http://www.wildcrafting.com/OldWildCraft/album1/RoseHips.jpg>

An apple jelly with either rose petals or scented geraniums is very likely to
produce a clear jelly that tastes faintly of roses.

Rosehip jelly won't taste of roses - unless you add rose petals from one or the
other strongly scented rose (damascena, gallica, rugosa ...), or rose geranium
leaf ('Attar of Roses' after a summer in full sun, mmmmmm!), of course.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
William R. Watt

Scott ) writes:

>...the consistency of liguid honey.

that's the same problem I have trying to make rose hip jelly, getting it
to jell properly. I've found that rose hips, like other members of the
rose family such as apples and haws, are a good source of pectin. But I
don't know the acid content. That's why the recipe calls for added lemon
juice for the acid. I can get a rose and acid fruit jelly that almost
jells but it still won't hold it's shape like a good jelly should, so I've
not put a recipe on my website. I can make a good rose hip wine.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm