Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Putting it by

Harvested the last of the crowder peas today, rinsed, dried, now on a
pan in the freezer. Total crop for the year is eight bags, two cups to
the bag, of nice black crowder peas. Will pull the vines if it gets a
bit cooler this evening. Will add more compost to the raised bed and
plant something else.

Figs are done, we put up about two dozen pints of fig jam, that should
last until the next crop. Blueberries never grew a berry this year so
we're working on last years pick them yourself, frozen berries. The
kumquat and the pear trees are loaded with fruit. Will be harvesting
pears later this month or early next month. Kumquat come into ripening
in the fall and, generally, we put up a lot of them as "chopped" fruit
for use in compotes, etc. during the year plus a lot of kumquat jelly
and jam. The pears can be eaten out of hand, put up as jelly, sliced
pears in syrup, and, my favorite, pear sauce.

It is literally hot as Hades here, we're getting heat indices in the 101
to 108F range almost daily. There is a small hope of rain today and
we're really hoping it comes true. The rest of our garden is about done
in, cukes are dying, tomatoes aren't producing, only the sweet chilies
are going on but not getting very large. Doesn't matter, we've put up
about forty bags of sliced and/or chopped chilies already. You can guess
that we eat a lot of chilies in most dishes, good vitamins in those rascals.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> It is literally hot as Hades here, we're getting heat indices in the 101
> to 108F range almost daily. There is a small hope of rain today and
> we're really hoping it comes true. The rest of our garden is about done
> in, cukes are dying, tomatoes aren't producing, only the sweet chilies
> are going on but not getting very large. Doesn't matter, we've put up
> about forty bags of sliced and/or chopped chilies already. You can guess
> that we eat a lot of chilies in most dishes, good vitamins in those rascals.

yeah, good eats, i love red peppers.

doing cucumbers later today.

maybe take a nap in a bit. don't think i
slept well last night.

songbird