Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Re-process chicken stock if I didn't do it long enough the first time?

I just processed 6 quarters of chicken stock at 11 pounds of pressure for about 15 minutes. I should have done it 25 minutes but got the time mixed up with the pressure. It actually processed at over 11 pounds (maybe up to 15) for part of that time.

First, is it safe or should I re-process.

Second, how do I re-process. The lids are sealing as I write. Would I just put them back in the pressure cooker and process. They are still very hot and my second batch (processed for the right length of time) is almost done.

If for some reason they do cool down before I hear back from anyone, do I re-process by opening all the jars, heating up the stock, refilling in newly sterilized jars with new lids and process appropriately.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

hi,

sorry, didn't see this earlier. i suppose by now you've
already taken care of things...

for only a few quarts i'd just keep them in the fridge
until i needed them (using within the next few weeks).
likely they are ok, but i would be surer by keeping them
cold.

did you reprocess them?

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I ended up reprocessing the six quarts immediately after my last batch was done. They were still very hot, so I just placed them in the canner, which already had the hot water from the last batch, and re-processed them at 11 pounds for 25 minutes. I didn't have any breakage, so I think the fact they were still very hot jars was the key. My plan B was to put them to empty them and freeze the stock.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 12:14:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> I ended up reprocessing the six quarts immediately after my last batch was done. They were still very hot, so I just placed them in the canner, which already had the hot water from the last batch, and re-processed them at 11 pounds for 25 minutes. I didn't have any breakage, so I think the fact they were still very hot jars was the key. My plan B was to put them to empty them and freeze the stock.

you did fine. that will be safe.