Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default pbdc's finally done

we've been trying to get the beets done for
a month now and finally got to them today.

18 quarts should hold us for a year or two
even if we give most of them away. for some
reason, we both like them, but we don't often
remember to actually eat them.

today i remarked that they're so pretty in
the jars maybe that's why we don't eat them.

my brother really likes them so this year
he kept saying that he wanted to help which is
why it took us a while to get a day on the
weekend where he could come over. it does
help to have someone else scrub 'em while i'm
chopping.

only one of the three patches had any beets
in them. the other two were outside the fenced
garden and it looks like rabbits or some other
critter really liked them, because there wasn't
much left of most of them. ah, well, it was
ok with me, 18 quarts is plenty, i don't mind
sharing...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-11-08 21:43:01 +0000, songbird said:

> we've been trying to get the beets done for
> a month now and finally got to them today.
>
> 18 quarts should hold us for a year or two
> even if we give most of them away. for some
> reason, we both like them, but we don't often
> remember to actually eat them.

Can't imagine why. <snork>

> songbird

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/3/2016 7:37 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-11-08 21:43:01 +0000, songbird said:
>
>> we've been trying to get the beets done for
>> a month now and finally got to them today.
>>
>> 18 quarts should hold us for a year or two
>> even if we give most of them away. for some
>> reason, we both like them, but we don't often
>> remember to actually eat them.

> Can't imagine why. <snork>
>

>> songbird

Same here Barb, Miz Anne insists on growing beets so she gets to eat
them. I will only eat pickled beets, the vinegar hides the taste. Phew!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> songbird said:
>
>> we've been trying to get the beets done for
>> a month now and finally got to them today.
>>
>> 18 quarts should hold us for a year or two
>> even if we give most of them away. for some
>> reason, we both like them, but we don't often
>> remember to actually eat them.

> Can't imagine why. <snork>

love you too sweetcheeks!

mostly it's because our pantry is the front
closet and it's stacked full of boxes of quarts
and not shelved - makes access a challenge at
times. we made a nice dent in the stacks this
year by giving away about 100 quarts of stuff
and it's a little more accessible now. i'm
hoping we'll make a larger dent in it all in
the next few months.

finally coming up for air after the holidays?

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Same here Barb, Miz Anne insists on growing beets so she gets to eat
> them. I will only eat pickled beets, the vinegar hides the taste. Phew!

when people say they taste like dirt i agree and
then i say i like the taste of dirt.

songbird (the key is not to chew...

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/3/2016 11:01 AM, songbird wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> songbird said:
>>
>>> we've been trying to get the beets done for
>>> a month now and finally got to them today.
>>>
>>> 18 quarts should hold us for a year or two
>>> even if we give most of them away. for some
>>> reason, we both like them, but we don't often
>>> remember to actually eat them.

>> Can't imagine why. <snork>

> love you too sweetcheeks!
>
> mostly it's because our pantry is the front
> closet and it's stacked full of boxes of quarts
> and not shelved - makes access a challenge at
> times. we made a nice dent in the stacks this
> year by giving away about 100 quarts of stuff
> and it's a little more accessible now. i'm
> hoping we'll make a larger dent in it all in
> the next few months.
>
> finally coming up for air after the holidays?
>

> songbird

Our pantry is the closet for my office, I put in four more shelves and
it works fine. We don't can as much as you bird but it suffices for what
we need. Some half inch thick by one inch wide for holding the shelves
and several feet of one by twelve boards does the trick.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/3/2016 8:46 AM, George Shirley wrote:

> Same here Barb, Miz Anne insists on growing beets so she gets to eat
> them. I will only eat pickled beets, the vinegar hides the taste. Phew!

Butter does a good job, too, George, while they are warm, but pickled
beets are yummy.

I'll take all the beets and you and Barb can have all my sauerkraut (ugh.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Our pantry is the closet for my office, I put in four more shelves and
> it works fine. We don't can as much as you bird but it suffices for what
> we need. Some half inch thick by one inch wide for holding the shelves
> and several feet of one by twelve boards does the trick.

if it just had canned goods in it i could do shelves,
etc., but it also has my clothes that need hanging, and
the top shelf and the floor in front of the stacked
canned cases is where we keep our baking supplies.

it's a very well stocked closet.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/3/2016 3:30 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Our pantry is the closet for my office, I put in four more shelves and
>> it works fine. We don't can as much as you bird but it suffices for what
>> we need. Some half inch thick by one inch wide for holding the shelves
>> and several feet of one by twelve boards does the trick.

> if it just had canned goods in it i could do shelves,
> etc., but it also has my clothes that need hanging, and
> the top shelf and the floor in front of the stacked
> canned cases is where we keep our baking supplies.
>
> it's a very well stocked closet.
>

> songbird

Hanging up food is more important than clothes, clothes can be hung on
nails here and there, food needs a pantry. <G>

This closet is two feet deep, eight feet high, six feet wide. On the
floor is my gold panning equipment, vacuum sealer and bags and rolls,
food sieve, two large pots, etc. Top shelf is gun cases of several
kinds, second shelf is cases of canning jars, third shelf is plastic
boxes of lids, rings, food equipment, come canned goods and empty jars.
Lots of stuff in there. Have two large cabinets in the office, there's
five more cases of jars on top of those. A ten by ten room can hold lots
of stuff with planning. And, it's all MINE.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Hanging up food is more important than clothes, clothes can be hung on
> nails here and there, food needs a pantry. <G>

the manager would have serious objections.
it's the dress clothes that need hanging that
are in there. the rest of my stuff that i
wear day-to-day and for gardening are in here.
it takes me forever to wear out a shirt.

> This closet is two feet deep, eight feet high, six feet wide. On the
> floor is my gold panning equipment, vacuum sealer and bags and rolls,
> food sieve, two large pots, etc. Top shelf is gun cases of several
> kinds, second shelf is cases of canning jars, third shelf is plastic
> boxes of lids, rings, food equipment, come canned goods and empty jars.
> Lots of stuff in there. Have two large cabinets in the office, there's
> five more cases of jars on top of those. A ten by ten room can hold lots
> of stuff with planning. And, it's all MINE.

and it's all paid for!

everything i own other than the car fits in this room.
though it's a bit bigger than 10x10ft. some stuff in
here isn't mine and i'd like to get rid of it (management
says no). i really don't need a futon/couch in here...

songbird

pbdc's songbird Preserving 5 23-08-2012 12:52 AM
pbdc's 6 quarts songbird Preserving 5 28-07-2012 01:27 AM
PBDC Melba's Jammin' Preserving 5 13-07-2010 07:50 PM
Finally? cshenk General Cooking 0 12-10-2008 02:11 AM
I finally got a WSM JohnO Barbecue 14 25-06-2007 12:57 AM