Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default St. Pectina of Jella would be pleased

Went down to Northfield yesterday and picked up a couple pounds of
pectin (powder) for next year's efforts. $6.51/lb. At ~$2.59/box, the
equivalent amount of Sure€˘Jell would run to nearly $24.

Feeling smug.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/12/2015 8:03 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Went down to Northfield yesterday and picked up a couple pounds of
> pectin (powder) for next year's efforts. $6.51/lb. At ~$2.59/box, the
> equivalent amount of Sure€˘Jell would run to nearly $24.
>
> Feeling smug.

Braggart! I've not even looked for pectin recently as I still have a
number of packages of Sure Jell that I bought at a store going of
business. Got some nice lids there too.

Cooling off a bit here in the Deep Souf', woke up to 73F this morning. I
see on the weather app that y'all are hitting the low fifties already,
guess it's getting comfy now for you folk in the frozen No'th.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 20:03:07 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Went down to Northfield yesterday and picked up a couple pounds of
>pectin (powder) for next year's efforts. $6.51/lb. At ~$2.59/box, the
>equivalent amount of Sure•Jell would run to nearly $24.
>
>Feeling smug.
>--

I used up the last of my Certo Friday making 2 batches (4 cups each
batch) of pepper jelly. Stopped in the grocery store to pick up some
more. Certo is $4.98 for a box of 2 envelopes and Sure-Jel is $3.08
for a box. Thank goodness my grocery store keeps canning supplies on
hand year around. Yesterday we picked about 5 cups of blueberries and
4 pounds of Muscadine grapes. Made the recipe for "Blueberry Pudding
Cake" that I believe you furnished. We do like it. I'm thinking
about blueberry muffins for some of the rest.

Today the Mehu Liisa comes back out of the box (fortunately it was not
back in the basement) to make juice out of the grapes. Hope to make
jelly tomorrow. I can't manage more than two projects in one day. And
one of them better not take too much energy or brains.

I may still get around to canning those dried pinto beans. If I soak
them tonight I will be forced to can them tomorrow. Will see if I can
manage that. May have to put off the jelly for another day.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> On 9/12/2015 8:03 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Went down to Northfield yesterday and picked up a couple pounds of
>> pectin (powder) for next year's efforts. $6.51/lb. At ~$2.59/box, the
>> equivalent amount of Sure€˘Jell would run to nearly $24.
>>
>> Feeling smug.

have you ever extracted your own pectin?

do they have liquid pectin in bulk?

> Braggart! I've not even looked for pectin recently as I still have a
> number of packages of Sure Jell that I bought at a store going of
> business. Got some nice lids there too.
>
> Cooling off a bit here in the Deep Souf', woke up to 73F this morning. I
> see on the weather app that y'all are hitting the low fifties already,
> guess it's getting comfy now for you folk in the frozen No'th.

we made it down to 40F last night... looks like that was the
last of the really cool nights for a bit, but sooner or later
Jack Frost is gonna make his appearance.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 20:03:07 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
>>Went down to Northfield yesterday and picked up a couple pounds of
>>pectin (powder) for next year's efforts. $6.51/lb. At ~$2.59/box, the
>>equivalent amount of Sure•Jell would run to nearly $24.
>>
>>Feeling smug.

> I used up the last of my Certo Friday making 2 batches (4 cups each
> batch) of pepper jelly. Stopped in the grocery store to pick up some
> more. Certo is $4.98 for a box of 2 envelopes and Sure-Jel is $3.08
> for a box. Thank goodness my grocery store keeps canning supplies on
> hand year around.

the price is getting way out of hand. our local small
store is the same way so for that price it makes sense to
hold off until we run further for other errands/supplies.
luckily i'm not using it that much.

i hope some of the apple tree saplings will survive
being transplanted and deer predation so that in a few
years i'll have some sour apples out back that can be
processed for pectin.

> Yesterday we picked about 5 cups of blueberries and
> 4 pounds of Muscadine grapes. Made the recipe for "Blueberry Pudding
> Cake" that I believe you furnished. We do like it. I'm thinking
> about blueberry muffins for some of the rest.
>
> Today the Mehu Liisa comes back out of the box (fortunately it was not
> back in the basement) to make juice out of the grapes. Hope to make
> jelly tomorrow. I can't manage more than two projects in one day. And
> one of them better not take too much energy or brains.
>
> I may still get around to canning those dried pinto beans. If I soak
> them tonight I will be forced to can them tomorrow. Will see if I can
> manage that. May have to put off the jelly for another day.

yeah, sometimes you just gotta work around what the body
tells ya. i'm picking some of the pinto beans here already.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-09-13 03:08:12 +0000, George Shirley said:

> On 9/12/2015 8:03 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Went down to Northfield yesterday and picked up a couple pounds of
>> pectin (powder) for next year's efforts. $6.51/lb. At ~$2.59/box, the
>> equivalent amount of Sure€˘Jell would run to nearly $24.
>>
>> Feeling smug.

> Braggart! I've not even looked for pectin recently as I still have a
> number of packages of Sure Jell that I bought at a store going of
> business. Got some nice lids there too.
>
> Cooling off a bit here in the Deep Souf', woke up to 73F this morning.
> I see on the weather app that y'all are hitting the low fifties
> already, guess it's getting comfy now for you folk in the frozen No'th.

Been hot and muggy the last couple days with rain. Grass is bright
green with all the rain we've had.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-09-13 11:23:51 +0000, The Cook said:

> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 20:03:07 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> Went down to Northfield yesterday and picked up a couple pounds of
>> pectin (powder) for next year's efforts. $6.51/lb. At ~$2.59/box, the
>> equivalent amount of Sure•Jell would run to nearly $24.
>>
>> Feeling smug.
>> --

> I used up the last of my Certo Friday making 2 batches (4 cups each
> batch) of pepper jelly.

susan, do you ever have trouble with your pepper jelly setting?

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/18/2015 7:25 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-09-13 03:08:12 +0000, George Shirley said:
>
>> On 9/12/2015 8:03 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> Went down to Northfield yesterday and picked up a couple pounds of
>>> pectin (powder) for next year's efforts. $6.51/lb. At ~$2.59/box, the
>>> equivalent amount of Sure€˘Jell would run to nearly $24.
>>>
>>> Feeling smug.

>> Braggart! I've not even looked for pectin recently as I still have a
>> number of packages of Sure Jell that I bought at a store going of
>> business. Got some nice lids there too.
>>
>> Cooling off a bit here in the Deep Souf', woke up to 73F this morning.
>> I see on the weather app that y'all are hitting the low fifties
>> already, guess it's getting comfy now for you folk in the frozen No'th.

> Been hot and muggy the last couple days with rain. Grass is bright
> green with all the rain we've had.

Yeah, we follow the Minnehaha weather on One America News, what's hot
and muggy to you? It was 94F with high humidity today, THAT'S MUGGY.
Would like to get some rain as we're putting in the fall garden. Can't
really complain about the water bill, we get water, sewer, garbage
pick-up, and recycling pick-up for about $50 plus a little more in the
summer.

Watching the weather on OAN I can think of having a home in Hawaii for
the winter and Alaska for the summer. Yeah, dream on.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/18/2015 7:27 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-09-13 11:23:51 +0000, The Cook said:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 20:03:07 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Went down to Northfield yesterday and picked up a couple pounds of
>>> pectin (powder) for next year's efforts. $6.51/lb. At ~$2.59/box, the
>>> equivalent amount of Sure€˘Jell would run to nearly $24.
>>>
>>> Feeling smug.
>>> --

>> I used up the last of my Certo Friday making 2 batches (4 cups each
>> batch) of pepper jelly.

> susan, do you ever have trouble with your pepper jelly setting?

I'm not Susan but my basil jelly this summer completely failed to set.
Now it's basil syrup and not bad either.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 19:27:26 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>On 2015-09-13 11:23:51 +0000, The Cook said:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 20:03:07 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Went down to Northfield yesterday and picked up a couple pounds of
>>> pectin (powder) for next year's efforts. $6.51/lb. At ~$2.59/box, the
>>> equivalent amount of Sure•Jell would run to nearly $24.
>>>
>>> Feeling smug.
>>> --

>> I used up the last of my Certo Friday making 2 batches (4 cups each
>> batch) of pepper jelly.

>susan, do you ever have trouble with your pepper jelly setting?

Not recently. My recipe calls for Certo and it seems to have set the
last few times I have made it. If you are interested I will send you
the original recipe and my version.

--
Susan N.