Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Steam Canner

My new steam canner has changed everything. Used to dread the water bath stuff because of how long it took the water to start boiling even, but the steam canner is up to processing speed in about 10 minutes now. I motored through processing 4 full rounds of dill pickles tonight, 4 x 7 quarts, in under 2 hours, with just one steam canner.

You can use it for anything high acid approved for water bath canning; pickles, relishes, chutneys, jams, fruits, tomatoes, etc. The high acid stuff that you'd water bath, because the steam only gets to 100 C (212 F). Everything else that needs pressure canning, still needs a proper pressure canner. Steam canning got approved at the end of June this summer based on Wisconsin Extension research led by Barbara Ingham, and I had one in my hands a week later from Amazon.

I got the Vittorio stainless steam canner, that has the gauge on the top that tells you when to start counting your processing time. My only wish would be that it would dingle or whistle or whoo-hoo or something when it's at temperature for when you have your head turned chopping something else, but it doesn't.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-08-27 04:03:21 +0000, Randal Oulton said:

> My new steam canner has changed everything. Used to dread the water
> bath stuff because of how long it took the water to start boiling even,
> but the steam canner is up to processing speed in about 10 minutes now.
> I motored through processing 4 full rounds of dill pickles tonight, 4 x
> 7 quarts, in under 2 hours, with just one steam canner.
> You can use it for anything high acid approved for water bath canning;
> pickles, relishes, chutneys, jams, fruits, tomatoes, etc. The high acid
> stuff that you'd water bath, because the steam only gets to 100 C (212
> F). Everything else that needs pressure canning, still needs a proper
> pressure canner. Steam canning got approved at the end of June this
> summer based on Wisconsin Extension research led by Barbara Ingham, and
> I had one in my hands a week later from Amazon.
>
> I got the Vittorio stainless steam canner, that has the gauge on the
> top that tells you when to start counting your processing time. My only
> wish would be that it would dingle or whistle or whoo-hoo or something
> when it's at temperature for when you have your head turned chopping
> something else, but it doesn't.

Aw, c'mon, Randall --- is it so tough to turn around and look at the
temp? <grin> Mine came last week and I, too, love it. I haven't used
it on my induction burner yet, though.

Though my UMN extension people are good with the asc (atmospheric steam
canner), the NCHFP isn't on board.

I'm not crazy about the rack but that's only because of the kind of
canning I do -- 95% is in half pint jars.

Rock on!
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/27/2015 6:18 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-08-27 04:03:21 +0000, Randal Oulton said:
>
>> My new steam canner has changed everything. Used to dread the water
>> bath stuff because of how long it took the water to start boiling
>> even, but the steam canner is up to processing speed in about 10
>> minutes now. I motored through processing 4 full rounds of dill
>> pickles tonight, 4 x 7 quarts, in under 2 hours, with just one steam
>> canner.
>> You can use it for anything high acid approved for water bath canning;
>> pickles, relishes, chutneys, jams, fruits, tomatoes, etc. The high
>> acid stuff that you'd water bath, because the steam only gets to 100 C
>> (212 F). Everything else that needs pressure canning, still needs a
>> proper pressure canner. Steam canning got approved at the end of June
>> this summer based on Wisconsin Extension research led by Barbara
>> Ingham, and I had one in my hands a week later from Amazon.
>>
>> I got the Vittorio stainless steam canner, that has the gauge on the
>> top that tells you when to start counting your processing time. My
>> only wish would be that it would dingle or whistle or whoo-hoo or
>> something when it's at temperature for when you have your head turned
>> chopping something else, but it doesn't.

> Aw, c'mon, Randall --- is it so tough to turn around and look at the
> temp? <grin> Mine came last week and I, too, love it. I haven't used
> it on my induction burner yet, though.
>
> Though my UMN extension people are good with the asc (atmospheric steam
> canner), the NCHFP isn't on board.
>
> I'm not crazy about the rack but that's only because of the kind of
> canning I do -- 95% is in half pint jars.
>
> Rock on!

Canner racks are my main problem. For the usual canner rack is made of
carbon steel and begins to rust almost immediately. A stainless steel
rack costs more than I want to spend.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/27/2015 9:14 AM, George Shirley wrote:

> Canner racks are my main problem. For the usual canner rack is made of
> carbon steel and begins to rust almost immediately. A stainless steel
> rack costs more than I want to spend.

Could you take a new canner rack to a plating company and have it chrome
plated?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/27/2015 3:40 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 8/27/2015 9:14 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Canner racks are my main problem. For the usual canner rack is made of
>> carbon steel and begins to rust almost immediately. A stainless steel
>> rack costs more than I want to spend.

> Could you take a new canner rack to a plating company and have it chrome
> plated?
>
> gloria p

Would cost ten times the cost of a stainless steel one. Chrome plating
is expensive nowadays. I even thought of putting a high temp plastic on
the racks but finally figured out that wouldn't work either. Definitely
don't want to paint them. I may just end up buying a single stainless
rack and use it where ever needed.

The rack in our early sixties pressure canner is also rusty but I don't
worry so much about that.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 18:05:21 -0500, George Shirley >
wrote:

>On 8/27/2015 3:40 PM, gloria p wrote:
>> On 8/27/2015 9:14 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> Canner racks are my main problem. For the usual canner rack is made of
>>> carbon steel and begins to rust almost immediately. A stainless steel
>>> rack costs more than I want to spend.

>> Could you take a new canner rack to a plating company and have it chrome
>> plated?
>>
>> gloria p

>Would cost ten times the cost of a stainless steel one. Chrome plating
>is expensive nowadays. I even thought of putting a high temp plastic on
>the racks but finally figured out that wouldn't work either. Definitely
>don't want to paint them. I may just end up buying a single stainless
>rack and use it where ever needed.
>
>The rack in our early sixties pressure canner is also rusty but I don't
>worry so much about that.

Are these racks any good?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16630625?reviews_limit=7&
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/27/2015 6:41 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 18:05:21 -0500, George Shirley >
> wrote:

>>> Could you take a new canner rack to a plating company and have it chrome
>>> plated?
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Would cost ten times the cost of a stainless steel one. Chrome plating
>> is expensive nowadays. I even thought of putting a high temp plastic on
>> the racks but finally figured out that wouldn't work either. Definitely
>> don't want to paint them. I may just end up buying a single stainless
>> rack and use it where ever needed.
>>
>> The rack in our early sixties pressure canner is also rusty but I don't
>> worry so much about that.

> Are these racks any good?
>
> http://www.walmart.com/ip/16630625?reviews_limit=7&

Wouldn't have any idea, I use racks with side rails and handles to make
it easier to get jars out of the canner pot. That one looks to be common
steel and would rust.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-08-27 23:48:19 +0000, George Shirley said:

> On 8/27/2015 6:41 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 18:05:21 -0500, George Shirley >
>> wrote:

>>> Would cost ten times the cost of a stainless steel one. Chrome plating
>>> is expensive nowadays. I even thought of putting a high temp plastic on
>>> the racks but finally figured out that wouldn't work either. Definitely
>>> don't want to paint them. I may just end up buying a single stainless
>>> rack and use it where ever needed.
>>>
>>> The rack in our early sixties pressure canner is also rusty but I don't
>>> worry so much about that.

>> Are these racks any good?
>>
>> http://www.walmart.com/ip/16630625?reviews_limit=7&
>>

> Wouldn't have any idea, I use racks with side rails and handles to make
> it easier to get jars out of the canner pot. That one looks to be
> common steel and would rust.

Steel? You sue about that. I think they use aluminum for those racks.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/27/2015 8:03 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-08-27 23:48:19 +0000, George Shirley said:
>
>> On 8/27/2015 6:41 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> Are these racks any good?
>>>
>>> http://www.walmart.com/ip/16630625?reviews_limit=7&
>>>

>> Wouldn't have any idea, I use racks with side rails and handles to
>> make it easier to get jars out of the canner pot. That one looks to be
>> common steel and would rust.

> Steel? You sue about that. I think they use aluminum for those racks.

I don't know, never saw one up close. Aluminum can corrode too. I'll
have to look them up online.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thursday, 27 August 2015 07:18:41 UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-08-27 04:03:21 +0000, Randal Oulton said:
>
> > My new steam canner has changed everything. Used to dread the water
> > bath stuff because of how long it took the water to start boiling even,
> > but the steam canner is up to processing speed in about 10 minutes now.
> > I motored through processing 4 full rounds of dill pickles tonight, 4 x
> > 7 quarts, in under 2 hours, with just one steam canner.
> > You can use it for anything high acid approved for water bath canning;
> > pickles, relishes, chutneys, jams, fruits, tomatoes, etc. The high acid
> > stuff that you'd water bath, because the steam only gets to 100 C (212
> > F). Everything else that needs pressure canning, still needs a proper
> > pressure canner. Steam canning got approved at the end of June this
> > summer based on Wisconsin Extension research led by Barbara Ingham, and
> > I had one in my hands a week later from Amazon.
> >
> > I got the Vittorio stainless steam canner, that has the gauge on the
> > top that tells you when to start counting your processing time. My only
> > wish would be that it would dingle or whistle or whoo-hoo or something
> > when it's at temperature for when you have your head turned chopping
> > something else, but it doesn't.

> Aw, c'mon, Randall --- is it so tough to turn around and look at the
> temp? <grin> Mine came last week and I, too, love it. I haven't used
> it on my induction burner yet, though.
>
> Though my UMN extension people are good with the asc (atmospheric steam
> canner), the NCHFP isn't on board.
>
> I'm not crazy about the rack but that's only because of the kind of
> canning I do -- 95% is in half pint jars.
>
> Rock on!
> Barb
> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Word on the street is that the NCHFP is / will be on board.

I put my Presto rack in on top the rack to give it a steadier / flatter surface for the smaller jars.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 20:03:04 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>On 2015-08-27 23:48:19 +0000, George Shirley said:
>
>> On 8/27/2015 6:41 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> Are these racks any good?
>>>
>>> http://www.walmart.com/ip/16630625?reviews_limit=7&
>>>

>> Wouldn't have any idea, I use racks with side rails and handles to make
>> it easier to get jars out of the canner pot. That one looks to be
>> common steel and would rust.

>Steel? You sue about that. I think they use aluminum for those racks.
>
>--

I think it is aluminum, too, which means it'll get nice and gray-yuk
looking, but I take my jars out one at a time. I do not trust the
handles.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 10:14:43 -0500, George Shirley >
wrote:

>On 8/27/2015 6:18 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> On 2015-08-27 04:03:21 +0000, Randal Oulton said:
>>
>>> My new steam canner has changed everything. Used to dread the water
>>> bath stuff because of how long it took the water to start boiling
>>> even, but the steam canner is up to processing speed in about 10
>>> minutes now. I motored through processing 4 full rounds of dill
>>> pickles tonight, 4 x 7 quarts, in under 2 hours, with just one steam
>>> canner.
>>> You can use it for anything high acid approved for water bath canning;
>>> pickles, relishes, chutneys, jams, fruits, tomatoes, etc. The high
>>> acid stuff that you'd water bath, because the steam only gets to 100 C
>>> (212 F). Everything else that needs pressure canning, still needs a
>>> proper pressure canner. Steam canning got approved at the end of June
>>> this summer based on Wisconsin Extension research led by Barbara
>>> Ingham, and I had one in my hands a week later from Amazon.
>>>
>>> I got the Vittorio stainless steam canner, that has the gauge on the
>>> top that tells you when to start counting your processing time. My
>>> only wish would be that it would dingle or whistle or whoo-hoo or
>>> something when it's at temperature for when you have your head turned
>>> chopping something else, but it doesn't.

>> Aw, c'mon, Randall --- is it so tough to turn around and look at the
>> temp? <grin> Mine came last week and I, too, love it. I haven't used
>> it on my induction burner yet, though.
>>
>> Though my UMN extension people are good with the asc (atmospheric steam
>> canner), the NCHFP isn't on board.
>>
>> I'm not crazy about the rack but that's only because of the kind of
>> canning I do -- 95% is in half pint jars.
>>
>> Rock on!

>Canner racks are my main problem. For the usual canner rack is made of
>carbon steel and begins to rust almost immediately. A stainless steel
>rack costs more than I want to spend.

Hi George,

Do you use the rack to lift out the jars?
I'm gettin' too shaky to lift out a whole rack of quart jars in one of
those flimsy wire racks so a few years ago I bought a flat SS rack
from the Local Lee Valley Tools store. Use a jar lifter to take out
the jars one at a time.
It's this one:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2120,33279

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/28/2015 3:33 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 10:14:43 -0500, George Shirley >
> wrote:

>>> Aw, c'mon, Randall --- is it so tough to turn around and look at the
>>> temp? <grin> Mine came last week and I, too, love it. I haven't used
>>> it on my induction burner yet, though.
>>>
>>> Though my UMN extension people are good with the asc (atmospheric steam
>>> canner), the NCHFP isn't on board.
>>>
>>> I'm not crazy about the rack but that's only because of the kind of
>>> canning I do -- 95% is in half pint jars.
>>>
>>> Rock on!

>> Canner racks are my main problem. For the usual canner rack is made of
>> carbon steel and begins to rust almost immediately. A stainless steel
>> rack costs more than I want to spend.

> Hi George,
>
> Do you use the rack to lift out the jars?
> I'm gettin' too shaky to lift out a whole rack of quart jars in one of
> those flimsy wire racks so a few years ago I bought a flat SS rack
> from the Local Lee Valley Tools store. Use a jar lifter to take out
> the jars one at a time.
> It's this one:
> http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2120,33279
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

Depends on the jar size Ross, I'm old and decrepit too. Pints and
smaller I lift out with the rack, quarts get lifted with the antique jar
lifter made by Grip-Tite many years ago. I'm not shaky yet but a
partially paralyzed right arm and hand doesn't help matters so I'm a lot
more cautious then I used to be. I have several stainless racks, saved
from a long defunct microwave that will fit in most of my big pots. I
often use one or more when I'm doing small jars to get a full load going
to shorten the time at the stove.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-08-28 10:52:45 +0000, Boron Elgar said:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 20:03:04 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-08-27 23:48:19 +0000, George Shirley said:

(snip

>>> Wouldn't have any idea, I use racks with side rails and handles to make
>>> it easier to get jars out of the canner pot. That one looks to be
>>> common steel and would rust.

>> Steel? You sue about that. I think they use aluminum for those racks.
>>
>> --

> I think it is aluminum, too, which means it'll get nice and gray-yuk
> looking, but I take my jars out one at a time. I do not trust the
> handles.

Amen, Sistah!

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-08-28 20:33:52 +0000, Ross@home said:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 10:14:43 -0500, George Shirley >
> wrote:
>>>

>> Canner racks are my main problem. For the usual canner rack is made of
>> carbon steel and begins to rust almost immediately. A stainless steel
>> rack costs more than I want to spend.

> Hi George,
>
> Do you use the rack to lift out the jars?
> I'm gettin' too shaky to lift out a whole rack of quart jars in one of
> those flimsy wire racks so a few years ago I bought a flat SS rack
> from the Local Lee Valley Tools store. Use a jar lifter to take out
> the jars one at a time.
> It's this one:
> http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2120,33279
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

Dang, Ross, that's the bees' knees! I like the cross reinforcement. I
wonder if I could set that on top of the rack provided with my new
Victorio asc/bwb canner. Gotta do some measuring.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Friday, 28 August 2015 19:24:35 UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-08-28 20:33:52 +0000, Ross@home said:
>
> > On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 10:14:43 -0500, George Shirley <>
> > wrote:
> >>>
> >> Canner racks are my main problem. For the usual canner rack is made of
> >> carbon steel and begins to rust almost immediately. A stainless steel
> >> rack costs more than I want to spend.

> > Hi George,
> >
> > Do you use the rack to lift out the jars?
> > I'm gettin' too shaky to lift out a whole rack of quart jars in one of
> > those flimsy wire racks so a few years ago I bought a flat SS rack
> > from the Local Lee Valley Tools store. Use a jar lifter to take out
> > the jars one at a time.
> > It's this one:
> > http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2120,33279
> >
> > Ross.
> > Southern Ontario, Canada

> Dang, Ross, that's the bees' knees! I like the cross reinforcement. I
> wonder if I could set that on top of the rack provided with my new
> Victorio asc/bwb canner. Gotta do some measuring.

> Barb
> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

That is a good-looking rack. Darn good price too!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/27/2015 7:03 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-08-27 23:48:19 +0000, George Shirley said:
>
>> On 8/27/2015 6:41 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>> Are these racks any good?
>>>
>>> http://www.walmart.com/ip/16630625?reviews_limit=7&
>>>

>> Wouldn't have any idea, I use racks with side rails and handles to
>> make it easier to get jars out of the canner pot. That one looks to be
>> common steel and would rust.

> Steel? You sue about that. I think they use aluminum for those racks.

It's hard to tell. There's no information about the material in the ad.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-08-30 02:49:03 +0000, gloria p said:

> On 8/27/2015 7:03 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Wouldn't have any idea, I use racks with side rails and handles to
>>> make it easier to get jars out of the canner pot. That one looks to be
>>> common steel and would rust.

>> Steel? You sue about that. I think they use aluminum for those racks.
>>

> It's hard to tell. There's no information about the material in the ad.
>
> gloria p

I stand corrected. The one on Amazon says it's stainless steel.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/29/2015 9:49 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 8/27/2015 7:03 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Wouldn't have any idea, I use racks with side rails and handles to
>>> make it easier to get jars out of the canner pot. That one looks to be
>>> common steel and would rust.

>> Steel? You sue about that. I think they use aluminum for those racks.
>>

> It's hard to tell. There's no information about the material in the ad.
>
> gloria p

If you buy one put a magnet to it.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/30/2015 7:33 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-08-30 02:49:03 +0000, gloria p said:

>>> Steel? You sue about that. I think they use aluminum for those racks.
>>>

>> It's hard to tell. There's no information about the material in the ad.
>>
>> gloria p

> I stand corrected. The one on Amazon says it's stainless steel.

That's why I shop at Amazon, they give better details than most
retailers. Not to mention that I get discounts and free shipping with a
Prime account.

I miss living in Louisiana, that state had no deal with Amazon on state
sales tax so I paid no taxes then. Texas has a deal with them and now I
have to pay the 8.5% sales tax. Boo hoo!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-08-28 03:52:18 +0000, Randal Oulton said:

> On Thursday, 27 August 2015 07:18:41 UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> On 2015-08-27 04:03:21 +0000, Randal Oulton said:
>>
>> Though my UMN extension people are good with the asc (atmospheric steam
>> canner), the NCHFP isn't on board.
>>

> Word on the street is that the NCHFP is / will be on board.
>
> I put my Presto rack in on top the rack to give it a steadier / flatter
> surface for the smaller jars.

What street is that?
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thursday, 3 September 2015 11:03:29 UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-08-28 03:52:18 +0000, Randal Oulton said:
>
> > On Thursday, 27 August 2015 07:18:41 UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >> On 2015-08-27 04:03:21 +0000, Randal Oulton said:
> >>
> >> Though my UMN extension people are good with the asc (atmospheric steam
> >> canner), the NCHFP isn't on board.
> >>

> > Word on the street is that the NCHFP is / will be on board.
> >
> > I put my Presto rack in on top the rack to give it a steadier / flatter
> > surface for the smaller jars.

> What street is that?
> Barb
> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Rogers and Hammerstein street :}
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 23:26:59 -0700 (PDT), Randal Oulton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, 3 September 2015 11:03:29 UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> > Word on the street is that the NCHFP is / will be on board.
>> >
>> > I put my Presto rack in on top the rack to give it a steadier / flatter
>> > surface for the smaller jars.

>> What street is that?
>> --
>> --
>> Barb
>> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

>Rogers and Hammerstein street :}

If it were Lerner and Lowe street, it could be "On the Street Where
You Live"
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-09-04 11:23:17 +0000, Boron Elgar said:

> On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 23:26:59 -0700 (PDT), Randal Oulton
> > wrote:

>>> What street is that?
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Barb
>>> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

>> Rogers and Hammerstein street :}

> If it were Lerner and Lowe street, it could be "On the Street Where
> You Live"

LOL!! Thanks, Gloria.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-09-04 06:26:59 +0000, Randal Oulton said:

> On Thursday, 3 September 2015 11:03:29 UTC-4, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Word on the street is that the NCHFP is / will be on board.
>>>
>>> I put my Presto rack in on top the rack to give it a steadier / flatter
>>> surface for the smaller jars.

>> What street is that?
>> --
>> --
>> Barb
>> www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

> Rogers and Hammerstein street :}

Okay, smarty boots, let me put it differently. Where did you get the
info about the NCHFP p'raps giving it their stamp? C'mon! IMWTK!!