Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Putting it by

Chopped or sliced two fairly large bun trays of sweet chiles today,
froze them, then vacuum bagged them for later use.

Cut a few Japanese eggplant into sticks and then dipped and fried them
for a side at dinner. Miz Anne made a container of finely chopped fresh
cucumbers then mixed sour cream and ranch dressing, with dill weed, into
a cold sauce and mixed them together. Were right tasty too.

Not a lot coming from the garden for preserving at the moment. We're
hitting the low nineties nearly every day now and not getting as much
rain as before. Beans and peas are hardly producing, cukes are about
gone, tomatoes have been heavily pruned but are starting to produce
again. Sweet chiles, naturally, are producing heavily as are the
eggplant. Figs are about done, this year we got roughly four pints, last
year it was one pint. Of course the tree is still small, about five feet
tall and maybe four in diameter.

Miz Anne did hit a blueberry farm last week and we put up about a half
gallon of frozen berries and made four quarts of pie filling. Some we're
just eating out of hand. She had picked right at ten lbs in half a
morning so she did well. At $2.50 a lb they were a lot cheaper than the
other UPick farms here and much cheaper than store bought.

George