Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Green beans

Just turned off the pressure canner with nine pints of freshly harvested
this morning beans. With a light drizzle falling all morning I suspect
there will be about as many green beans to pick tomorrow afternoon. The
Kentucky Blue beans we bought from Territorial Seed are prolific
bearers. They are a cross between Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake, both
old friends of ours over the years. Looks like their offspring is a
winner too, end of season this coming fall should tell us the truth on
them plus the first ones we eat fresh tonight should give us a heads up.

Squash, sweet chiles, and eggplant are going well and we still don't
have any tomatoes ripening. About a half dozen four inch long cukes on
the vines and many more coming along. Our days up until now have been
coolish, with sixty or seventy degrees F in the morning and up into
mid-eighties in the afternoon. I think we've about hit our annual quota
for squash but will continue putting it up in the freezer or making
pickles out of them until they croak in August if the heat keeps climbing.

Had a time adjusting the heat for the pressure canner. First time we've
actually run it since 2012. The big burners on the stove here are to hot
even at lowest setting to actually hold the canner on 11 lbs, keeps
creeping up. Exercised my biceps and shoulders just moving the canner
around on the stove to find a burner that would work. Luckily the middle
burner is just right and did the job for me. Made a note in my canning
book as to use that burner for pressure canning, makes it easier on old
muscles.

If the rain stops anytime soon we will be going out to the pick and pay
farms for blueberries, blackberries, figs, pears, and anything else that
catches our eyes. I'm totally out of fig jam, two jars of kumquat
marmalade left, no pear sauce but about a dozen pints of pear jelly left
from 2012 picking. We do still have a nice supply of blackberry jam and
jelly from last year and plenty of pickles as yet.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 11 May 2015 15:57:08 -0500, George Shirley >
wrote:

>Just turned off the pressure canner with nine pints of freshly harvested
>this morning beans. With a light drizzle falling all morning I suspect
>there will be about as many green beans to pick tomorrow afternoon. The
>Kentucky Blue beans we bought from Territorial Seed are prolific
>bearers. They are a cross between Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake, both
>old friends of ours over the years. Looks like their offspring is a
>winner too, end of season this coming fall should tell us the truth on
>them plus the first ones we eat fresh tonight should give us a heads up.
>
>Squash, sweet chiles, and eggplant are going well and we still don't
>have any tomatoes ripening. About a half dozen four inch long cukes on
>the vines and many more coming along. Our days up until now have been
>coolish, with sixty or seventy degrees F in the morning and up into
>mid-eighties in the afternoon. I think we've about hit our annual quota
>for squash but will continue putting it up in the freezer or making
>pickles out of them until they croak in August if the heat keeps climbing.
>
>Had a time adjusting the heat for the pressure canner. First time we've
>actually run it since 2012. The big burners on the stove here are to hot
>even at lowest setting to actually hold the canner on 11 lbs, keeps
>creeping up. Exercised my biceps and shoulders just moving the canner
>around on the stove to find a burner that would work. Luckily the middle
>burner is just right and did the job for me. Made a note in my canning
>book as to use that burner for pressure canning, makes it easier on old
>muscles.
>
>If the rain stops anytime soon we will be going out to the pick and pay
>farms for blueberries, blackberries, figs, pears, and anything else that
>catches our eyes. I'm totally out of fig jam, two jars of kumquat
>marmalade left, no pear sauce but about a dozen pints of pear jelly left
>from 2012 picking. We do still have a nice supply of blackberry jam and
>jelly from last year and plenty of pickles as yet.
>
>George

We finally got a bit rain this afternoon. Set out tomato plants this
past Thursday. Harvested rhubarb on Saturday. My hip and knee are
not happy with me. Still have to set out peppers. Just started
cucumbers, zucchinis, butternut and acorn squash and watermelon in the
greenhouse a few days ago. They will have to go out before long.

Our blueberry plants are covered with fruit. Just have to get DH to
get the netting over them before the birds discover them. Wild
blackberries are in bloom all over the place. Our black raspberries
are also blooming. Strawberries are getting ripe. Don't know what
our fruit trees will do this year. If the cherry tree doesn't produce
or the birds peat us to them, I am planning to head to Virginia to a
fruit farm. Will buy already picked.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/11/2015 6:10 PM, The Cook wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2015 15:57:08 -0500, George Shirley >
> wrote:
>
>> Just turned off the pressure canner with nine pints of freshly harvested
>> this morning beans. With a light drizzle falling all morning I suspect
>> there will be about as many green beans to pick tomorrow afternoon. The
>> Kentucky Blue beans we bought from Territorial Seed are prolific
>> bearers. They are a cross between Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake, both
>> old friends of ours over the years. Looks like their offspring is a
>> winner too, end of season this coming fall should tell us the truth on
>> them plus the first ones we eat fresh tonight should give us a heads up.
>>
>> Squash, sweet chiles, and eggplant are going well and we still don't
>> have any tomatoes ripening. About a half dozen four inch long cukes on
>> the vines and many more coming along. Our days up until now have been
>> coolish, with sixty or seventy degrees F in the morning and up into
>> mid-eighties in the afternoon. I think we've about hit our annual quota
>> for squash but will continue putting it up in the freezer or making
>> pickles out of them until they croak in August if the heat keeps climbing.
>>
>> Had a time adjusting the heat for the pressure canner. First time we've
>> actually run it since 2012. The big burners on the stove here are to hot
>> even at lowest setting to actually hold the canner on 11 lbs, keeps
>> creeping up. Exercised my biceps and shoulders just moving the canner
>> around on the stove to find a burner that would work. Luckily the middle
>> burner is just right and did the job for me. Made a note in my canning
>> book as to use that burner for pressure canning, makes it easier on old
>> muscles.
>>
>> If the rain stops anytime soon we will be going out to the pick and pay
>> farms for blueberries, blackberries, figs, pears, and anything else that
>> catches our eyes. I'm totally out of fig jam, two jars of kumquat
>> marmalade left, no pear sauce but about a dozen pints of pear jelly left
>>from 2012 picking. We do still have a nice supply of blackberry jam and
>> jelly from last year and plenty of pickles as yet.
>>
>> George

> We finally got a bit rain this afternoon. Set out tomato plants this
> past Thursday. Harvested rhubarb on Saturday. My hip and knee are
> not happy with me. Still have to set out peppers. Just started
> cucumbers, zucchinis, butternut and acorn squash and watermelon in the
> greenhouse a few days ago. They will have to go out before long.
>
> Our blueberry plants are covered with fruit. Just have to get DH to
> get the netting over them before the birds discover them. Wild
> blackberries are in bloom all over the place. Our black raspberries
> are also blooming. Strawberries are getting ripe. Don't know what
> our fruit trees will do this year. If the cherry tree doesn't produce
> or the birds peat us to them, I am planning to head to Virginia to a
> fruit farm. Will buy already picked.

Welcome to the pain world for senior citizens, mine is right leg and arm
and, recently, problems with bone spurs in both shoulders. Right side of
my face, right arm, right leg and foot are trouble due to strokes many
years ago. I can get around pretty good as long as have something to
hang on to. Canes don't work to well for me so reckon before long I will
have to get one of those walkers with a seat. A real problem for me
since I was always a long distance walker but never was much of a
runner. I miss taking long walks and going hunting and fishing alone in
the woods. Guess you have to give something up if you want to keep going
on. I need to repair my garden scooter as the plastic top is starting to
cave in. Got it as a present from daughter shortly after the strokes in
2005 so guess it is really old for plastic stuff. Have been looking at
those neat tractor looking steel garden seats. I'm a nut on reviews so
have to read a lot of them before I buy something on line and none of
the big box stores around here stock them.

It's still raining off and on and I'm worried that the zucchini are
still growing out there after I just put up so much of that vegetable. I
guess I could build a canoe out of one if I needed a canoe. <G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Monday, 11 May 2015 20:00:39 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
> [...]

> since I was always a long distance walker but never was much of a
> runner. I miss taking long walks and going hunting and fishing alone in
> the woods. Guess you have to give something up if you want to keep going
> on. I need to repair my garden scooter as the plastic top is starting to
> cave in. Got it as a present from daughter shortly after the strokes in
> 2005 so guess it is really old for plastic stuff. Have been looking at
> those neat tractor looking steel garden seats. I'm a nut on reviews so
> have to read a lot of them before I buy something on line and none of
> the big box stores around here stock them.
>
> It's still raining off and on and I'm worried that the zucchini are
> still growing out there after I just put up so much of that vegetable. I
> guess I could build a canoe out of one if I needed a canoe. <G>

Have you looked at Nordic Walking, George? (Hi by the way.) I'm a huge fan of it, and they say that the poles give a lot of support. I live on the boardwalk in Toronto and used to be a jogger but a teenager knee injury has put paid to that, so I have taken up Nordic Walking instead.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Monday, 11 May 2015 16:57:11 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
> Just turned off the pressure canner with nine pints of freshly harvested
> this morning beans. With a light drizzle falling all morning I suspect
> there will be about as many green beans to pick tomorrow afternoon. The
> Kentucky Blue beans we bought from Territorial Seed are prolific
> bearers. They are a cross between Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake, both
> old friends of ours over the years. Looks like their offspring is a
> winner too, end of season this coming fall should tell us the truth on
> them plus the first ones we eat fresh tonight should give us a heads up.
>
> Squash, sweet chiles, and eggplant are going well and we still don't
> have any tomatoes ripening. About a half dozen four inch long cukes on
> the vines and many more coming along. Our days up until now have been
> coolish, with sixty or seventy degrees F in the morning and up into
> mid-eighties in the afternoon. I think we've about hit our annual quota
> for squash but will continue putting it up in the freezer or making
> pickles out of them until they croak in August if the heat keeps climbing..
>
> Had a time adjusting the heat for the pressure canner. First time we've
> actually run it since 2012. The big burners on the stove here are to hot
> even at lowest setting to actually hold the canner on 11 lbs, keeps
> creeping up. Exercised my biceps and shoulders just moving the canner
> around on the stove to find a burner that would work. Luckily the middle
> burner is just right and did the job for me. Made a note in my canning
> book as to use that burner for pressure canning, makes it easier on old
> muscles.
>
> If the rain stops anytime soon we will be going out to the pick and pay
> farms for blueberries, blackberries, figs, pears, and anything else that
> catches our eyes. I'm totally out of fig jam, two jars of kumquat
> marmalade left, no pear sauce but about a dozen pints of pear jelly left
> from 2012 picking. We do still have a nice supply of blackberry jam and
> jelly from last year and plenty of pickles as yet.
>
> George

Good gravy, where are you that you got all that stuff coming along already, Australia??? I'm in Toronto and we just only got the fiddleheads ready for picking, though all the tomato, bean, cuke, etc, seedlings are going in the ground now. When the time comes, report back on how the Kentucky Blue can up, and are they a pole or a bush bean?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/11/2015 10:46 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> On Monday, 11 May 2015 20:00:39 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
>> On 5/11/2015 6:10 PM, The Cook wrote:

>>> We finally got a bit rain this afternoon. Set out tomato plants this
>>> past Thursday. Harvested rhubarb on Saturday. My hip and knee are
>>> not happy with me. Still have to set out peppers. Just started
>>> cucumbers, zucchinis, butternut and acorn squash and watermelon in the
>>> greenhouse a few days ago. They will have to go out before long.
>>>
>>> Our blueberry plants are covered with fruit. Just have to get DH to
>>> get the netting over them before the birds discover them. Wild
>>> blackberries are in bloom all over the place. Our black raspberries
>>> are also blooming. Strawberries are getting ripe. Don't know what
>>> our fruit trees will do this year. If the cherry tree doesn't produce
>>> or the birds peat us to them, I am planning to head to Virginia to a
>>> fruit farm. Will buy already picked.
>>>

>> Welcome to the pain world for senior citizens, mine is right leg and arm
>> and, recently, problems with bone spurs in both shoulders. Right side of
>> my face, right arm, right leg and foot are trouble due to strokes many
>> years ago. I can get around pretty good as long as have something to
>> hang on to. Canes don't work to well for me so reckon before long I will
>> have to get one of those walkers with a seat. A real problem for me
>> since I was always a long distance walker but never was much of a
>> runner. I miss taking long walks and going hunting and fishing alone in
>> the woods. Guess you have to give something up if you want to keep going
>> on. I need to repair my garden scooter as the plastic top is starting to
>> cave in. Got it as a present from daughter shortly after the strokes in
>> 2005 so guess it is really old for plastic stuff. Have been looking at
>> those neat tractor looking steel garden seats. I'm a nut on reviews so
>> have to read a lot of them before I buy something on line and none of
>> the big box stores around here stock them.
>>
>> It's still raining off and on and I'm worried that the zucchini are
>> still growing out there after I just put up so much of that vegetable. I
>> guess I could build a canoe out of one if I needed a canoe. <G>

> Have you looked at Nordic Walking, George? (Hi by the way.) I'm a huge fan of it, and they say that the poles give a lot of support. I live on the boardwalk in Toronto and used to be a jogger but a teenager knee injury has put paid to that, so I have taken up Nordic Walking instead.

Had not even thought of it, will take a look online. Thanks for the tip.
Big problem is lack of sensitivity in right foot. I have to watch it or
it points off in a different direction. It's a big PITA as I used to
march, walk, and do the typical Scout thing in the woods, walk, trot,
run, repeat several times. Never was much of a runner but could out walk
most folks.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/11/2015 10:49 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> On Monday, 11 May 2015 16:57:11 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
>> Just turned off the pressure canner with nine pints of freshly harvested
>> this morning beans. With a light drizzle falling all morning I suspect
>> there will be about as many green beans to pick tomorrow afternoon. The
>> Kentucky Blue beans we bought from Territorial Seed are prolific
>> bearers. They are a cross between Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake, both
>> old friends of ours over the years. Looks like their offspring is a
>> winner too, end of season this coming fall should tell us the truth on
>> them plus the first ones we eat fresh tonight should give us a heads up.
>>
>> Squash, sweet chiles, and eggplant are going well and we still don't
>> have any tomatoes ripening. About a half dozen four inch long cukes on
>> the vines and many more coming along. Our days up until now have been
>> coolish, with sixty or seventy degrees F in the morning and up into
>> mid-eighties in the afternoon. I think we've about hit our annual quota
>> for squash but will continue putting it up in the freezer or making
>> pickles out of them until they croak in August if the heat keeps climbing.
>>
>> Had a time adjusting the heat for the pressure canner. First time we've
>> actually run it since 2012. The big burners on the stove here are to hot
>> even at lowest setting to actually hold the canner on 11 lbs, keeps
>> creeping up. Exercised my biceps and shoulders just moving the canner
>> around on the stove to find a burner that would work. Luckily the middle
>> burner is just right and did the job for me. Made a note in my canning
>> book as to use that burner for pressure canning, makes it easier on old
>> muscles.
>>
>> If the rain stops anytime soon we will be going out to the pick and pay
>> farms for blueberries, blackberries, figs, pears, and anything else that
>> catches our eyes. I'm totally out of fig jam, two jars of kumquat
>> marmalade left, no pear sauce but about a dozen pints of pear jelly left
>> from 2012 picking. We do still have a nice supply of blackberry jam and
>> jelly from last year and plenty of pickles as yet.
>>
>> George

> Good gravy, where are you that you got all that stuff coming along already, Australia??? I'm in Toronto and we just only got the fiddleheads ready for picking, though all the tomato, bean, cuke, etc, seedlings are going in the ground now. When the time comes, report back on how the Kentucky Blue can up, and are they a pole or a bush bean?

In Harris County, Texas, look at a map and we live very near The
Woodlands, with Houston to the south of us. We live in USDA heat zone
8b, we're hitting 80F+ nearly every day now. We're on an ancient sand
dune that the stupid builder covered with five feet of Houston gumbo
clay so we would be well above the flood line. As a consequence we use
Square Foot Gardening and have 32 running feet of raised beds plus
flower and veggie beds around the back fence line that have been heavily
amended over the last two years. We moved from Louisiana in 2012 after
24 years there and came home to Texas to be close to our children,
grands, and great grands. This property is the smallest we have ever
lived on. Started marriage on ten acres, lived in Louisiana on a 14K
square foot property and then moved here. We grow Swiss chard behind the
flowers in the front flower garden as a back drop, the HOA directors
don't know we also eat the stuff. Took out a young live oak and replaced
it with a Tennousi pear tree and we grow calendula around the pear tree
because I make a healing salve from the calendula and petroleum jelly.
Have fig, kumquat, and bay trees in the backyard.

We moved from a small town in Louisiana with 12K people to a county with
several million people and what sounds like twice that in vehicles
running all night. SE Texas is where I was born and raised but it's not
so bucolic around here now. As a young man I deer hunted on the farm
that used to be where our subdivision is now.

Worked overseas a number of years and worked with a lot of Canadians,
mostly good people too.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

....nordic walking...
> Had not even thought of it, will take a look online. Thanks for the tip.
> Big problem is lack of sensitivity in right foot. I have to watch it or
> it points off in a different direction. It's a big PITA as I used to
> march, walk, and do the typical Scout thing in the woods, walk, trot,
> run, repeat several times. Never was much of a runner but could out walk
> most folks.

i didn't know there was such a name for walking with
a stick. when i lived in TN i'd walk at a park and one
of the other regular walkers there was a guy who'd been
in the Pacific theatre during WWII as a bulldozer driver.
very interesting stories he'd tell, but back to the point
which is that he walked using two longer poles like he
was cross-country skiing, the poles had rubber caps so
they didn't mark the trail or pavement. kept him steady.
we were talking about this the other day with someone
else, because they didn't want to have a walker or a
cane because it bent them over... a pole with a strap
just in case you lose your grip a moment. worked well
for him.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/12/2015 11:42 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
> In article >, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> Had not even thought of it, will take a look online. Thanks for the tip.
>> Big problem is lack of sensitivity in right foot. I have to watch it or
>> it points off in a different direction. It's a big PITA as I used to
>> march, walk, and do the typical Scout thing in the woods, walk, trot,
>> run, repeat several times. Never was much of a runner but could out walk
>> most folks.

> You and Bill Nye, George!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e6h4zLC5U8
>
> <grin>

Not hardly! I used to really like walking and marching, was on a drill
team for a good while and enjoyed that immensely. The Nye film was
pretty good, I wish I could walk that fast.

Still raining off and on here, just went to the library, five miles away
and it was raining heavily there. Went by to let daughter's dog out for
a walk in the yard and he looked at me like I was crazy. He settled for
getting his belly rubbed and his butt scratched,dog heaven with that.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-05-11 20:57:08 +0000, George Shirley said:

> Just turned off the pressure canner with nine pints of freshly
> harvested this morning beans. With a light drizzle falling all morning
> I suspect there will be about as many green beans to pick tomorrow
> afternoon. The Kentucky Blue beans we bought from Territorial Seed are
> prolific bearers. They are a cross between Kentucky Wonder and Blue
> Lake, both old friends of ours over the years. Looks like their
> offspring is a winner too, end of season this coming fall should tell
> us the truth on them plus the first ones we eat fresh tonight should
> give us a heads up.
>
> Squash, sweet chiles, and eggplant are going well and we still don't
> have any tomatoes ripening. About a half dozen four inch long cukes on
> the vines and many more coming along. Our days up until now have been
> coolish, with sixty or seventy degrees F in the morning and up into
> mid-eighties in the afternoon. I think we've about hit our annual quota
> for squash but will continue putting it up in the freezer or making
> pickles out of them until they croak in August if the heat keeps
> climbing.
>
> Had a time adjusting the heat for the pressure canner. First time we've
> actually run it since 2012. The big burners on the stove here are to
> hot even at lowest setting to actually hold the canner on 11 lbs, keeps
> creeping up. Exercised my biceps and shoulders just moving the canner
> around on the stove to find a burner that would work. Luckily the
> middle burner is just right and did the job for me. Made a note in my
> canning book as to use that burner for pressure canning, makes it
> easier on old muscles.
>
> If the rain stops anytime soon we will be going out to the pick and pay
> farms for blueberries, blackberries, figs, pears, and anything else
> that catches our eyes. I'm totally out of fig jam, two jars of kumquat
> marmalade left, no pear sauce but about a dozen pints of pear jelly
> left from 2012 picking. We do still have a nice supply of blackberry
> jam and jelly from last year and plenty of pickles as yet.
>
> George

Have you considered getting a weighted gauge for your canner, Jorge?
5-10-15psi. You'd probably have to run at 15psi.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/30/2015 7:36 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-05-11 20:57:08 +0000, George Shirley said:
>
>> Just turned off the pressure canner with nine pints of freshly
>> harvested this morning beans. With a light drizzle falling all morning
>> I suspect there will be about as many green beans to pick tomorrow
>> afternoon. The Kentucky Blue beans we bought from Territorial Seed are
>> prolific bearers. They are a cross between Kentucky Wonder and Blue
>> Lake, both old friends of ours over the years. Looks like their
>> offspring is a winner too, end of season this coming fall should tell
>> us the truth on them plus the first ones we eat fresh tonight should
>> give us a heads up.
>>
>> Squash, sweet chiles, and eggplant are going well and we still don't
>> have any tomatoes ripening. About a half dozen four inch long cukes on
>> the vines and many more coming along. Our days up until now have been
>> coolish, with sixty or seventy degrees F in the morning and up into
>> mid-eighties in the afternoon. I think we've about hit our annual
>> quota for squash but will continue putting it up in the freezer or
>> making pickles out of them until they croak in August if the heat
>> keeps climbing.
>>
>> Had a time adjusting the heat for the pressure canner. First time
>> we've actually run it since 2012. The big burners on the stove here
>> are to hot even at lowest setting to actually hold the canner on 11
>> lbs, keeps creeping up. Exercised my biceps and shoulders just moving
>> the canner around on the stove to find a burner that would work.
>> Luckily the middle burner is just right and did the job for me. Made a
>> note in my canning book as to use that burner for pressure canning,
>> makes it easier on old muscles.
>>
>> If the rain stops anytime soon we will be going out to the pick and
>> pay farms for blueberries, blackberries, figs, pears, and anything
>> else that catches our eyes. I'm totally out of fig jam, two jars of
>> kumquat marmalade left, no pear sauce but about a dozen pints of pear
>> jelly left from 2012 picking. We do still have a nice supply of
>> blackberry jam and jelly from last year and plenty of pickles as yet.
>>
>> George

> Have you considered getting a weighted gauge for your canner, Jorge?
> 5-10-15psi. You'd probably have to run at 15psi.

Nope, happy with what I've got. Get a new gauge every few years as I
can't find anyone here who can test them out (I have three gauges that
get swapped). Reckon I will have to make my own test system as I have an
air compressor it should be fairly easy.

Boy, you sure are catching up, keep it up, we missed you.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sunday, 30 August 2015 10:48:43 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
> On 8/30/2015 7:36 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > On 2015-05-11 20:57:08 +0000, George Shirley said:
> >
> >> Just turned off the pressure canner with nine pints of freshly
> >> harvested this morning beans. With a light drizzle falling all morning
> >> I suspect there will be about as many green beans to pick tomorrow
> >> afternoon. The Kentucky Blue beans we bought from Territorial Seed are
> >> prolific bearers. They are a cross between Kentucky Wonder and Blue
> >> Lake, both old friends of ours over the years. Looks like their
> >> offspring is a winner too, end of season this coming fall should tell
> >> us the truth on them plus the first ones we eat fresh tonight should
> >> give us a heads up.
> >>
> >> Squash, sweet chiles, and eggplant are going well and we still don't
> >> have any tomatoes ripening. About a half dozen four inch long cukes on
> >> the vines and many more coming along. Our days up until now have been
> >> coolish, with sixty or seventy degrees F in the morning and up into
> >> mid-eighties in the afternoon. I think we've about hit our annual
> >> quota for squash but will continue putting it up in the freezer or
> >> making pickles out of them until they croak in August if the heat
> >> keeps climbing.
> >>
> >> Had a time adjusting the heat for the pressure canner. First time
> >> we've actually run it since 2012. The big burners on the stove here
> >> are to hot even at lowest setting to actually hold the canner on 11
> >> lbs, keeps creeping up. Exercised my biceps and shoulders just moving
> >> the canner around on the stove to find a burner that would work.
> >> Luckily the middle burner is just right and did the job for me. Made a
> >> note in my canning book as to use that burner for pressure canning,
> >> makes it easier on old muscles.
> >>
> >> If the rain stops anytime soon we will be going out to the pick and
> >> pay farms for blueberries, blackberries, figs, pears, and anything
> >> else that catches our eyes. I'm totally out of fig jam, two jars of
> >> kumquat marmalade left, no pear sauce but about a dozen pints of pear
> >> jelly left from 2012 picking. We do still have a nice supply of
> >> blackberry jam and jelly from last year and plenty of pickles as yet.
> >>
> >> George

> > Have you considered getting a weighted gauge for your canner, Jorge?
> > 5-10-15psi. You'd probably have to run at 15psi.
> >

> Nope, happy with what I've got. Get a new gauge every few years as I
> can't find anyone here who can test them out (I have three gauges that
> get swapped). Reckon I will have to make my own test system as I have an
> air compressor it should be fairly easy.
>
> Boy, you sure are catching up, keep it up, we missed you.

What brand is your canner, a Presto?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/30/2015 10:56 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> On Sunday, 30 August 2015 10:48:43 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:

>>> Have you considered getting a weighted gauge for your canner, Jorge?
>>> 5-10-15psi. You'd probably have to run at 15psi.
>>>

>> Nope, happy with what I've got. Get a new gauge every few years as I
>> can't find anyone here who can test them out (I have three gauges that
>> get swapped). Reckon I will have to make my own test system as I have an
>> air compressor it should be fairly easy.
>>
>> Boy, you sure are catching up, keep it up, we missed you.

> What brand is your canner, a Presto?

It's a 1966 Sears pressure canner. Have maintained it fastidiously for
all these years. New gasket frequently, new dial gauge, new everything
that can be replaced. Parts are still available, mostly from Presto. A
good pressure canner can live through several generations if properly
cared for. Sometimes I yearn for one of the fancy shmancy new jobbies
until I see the price.

With just the two of us we don't do a lot of pressure canning anymore.
The three boiling water bath canners do still get a work out frequently.
Our kids, grands, great grands are all busy making a life so they don't
come by as often as before to get goodies from the canning pantry. We
see them often enough to keep us happy but not overwhelmed.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Monday, 31 August 2015 08:55:37 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
> On 8/30/2015 10:56 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:

> >> Nope, happy with what I've got. Get a new gauge every few years as I
> >> can't find anyone here who can test them out (I have three gauges that
> >> get swapped). Reckon I will have to make my own test system as I have an
> >> air compressor it should be fairly easy.
> >>
> >> Boy, you sure are catching up, keep it up, we missed you.

> > What brand is your canner, a Presto?
> >

> It's a 1966 Sears pressure canner. Have maintained it fastidiously for
> all these years. New gasket frequently, new dial gauge, new everything
> that can be replaced. Parts are still available, mostly from Presto. A
> good pressure canner can live through several generations if properly
> cared for. Sometimes I yearn for one of the fancy shmancy new jobbies
> until I see the price.
>
> With just the two of us we don't do a lot of pressure canning anymore.
> The three boiling water bath canners do still get a work out frequently.
> Our kids, grands, great grands are all busy making a life so they don't
> come by as often as before to get goodies from the canning pantry. We
> see them often enough to keep us happy but not overwhelmed.

hmmm, what is the name on that Sears one? I'd heard they sold one called the Kook Kwik from about 1910 to the early 1940s.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

>If the rain stops anytime soon we will be going out to the pick and pay
>farms for blueberries, blackberries, figs, pears, and anything else that
>catches our eyes. I'm totally out of fig jam, two jars of kumquat
>marmalade left, no pear sauce but about a dozen pints of pear jelly left
>from 2012 picking.

I've a small kumquat growing in a pot and this is the first year it
has flowered and set fruit. I am hoping I get enough to make some
marmalade.

I try to nurture some truly out-of-zone things here in NJ by over
wintering them inside. I've an arebequina olive (*very* small harvest,
but by the gods, I have gotten some olives out of it), bougainvillea,
kefir lime, Joshua tree and a couple of small sequoias.

The basement gets to be fun in January, as does the kitchen. And there
is the cactus collection and the euphorbias that come in, too.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/31/2015 11:11 PM, Randal Oulton wrote:
> On Monday, 31 August 2015 08:55:37 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:

>>> What brand is your canner, a Presto?
>>>

>> It's a 1966 Sears pressure canner. Have maintained it fastidiously for
>> all these years. New gasket frequently, new dial gauge, new everything
>> that can be replaced. Parts are still available, mostly from Presto. A
>> good pressure canner can live through several generations if properly
>> cared for. Sometimes I yearn for one of the fancy shmancy new jobbies
>> until I see the price.
>>
>> With just the two of us we don't do a lot of pressure canning anymore.
>> The three boiling water bath canners do still get a work out frequently.
>> Our kids, grands, great grands are all busy making a life so they don't
>> come by as often as before to get goodies from the canning pantry. We
>> see them often enough to keep us happy but not overwhelmed.

> hmmm, what is the name on that Sears one? I'd heard they sold one called the Kook Kwik from about 1910 to the early 1940s.

Maybe so, but this one was bought new from Sears in 1966 and the name on
it is SEARS. I was just a little kid in the early 1940's and my parents
weren't canning at that time.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/1/2015 5:25 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2015 15:57:08 -0500, George Shirley >
> wrote:
>

>> If the rain stops anytime soon we will be going out to the pick and pay
>> farms for blueberries, blackberries, figs, pears, and anything else that
>> catches our eyes. I'm totally out of fig jam, two jars of kumquat
>> marmalade left, no pear sauce but about a dozen pints of pear jelly left
>>from 2012 picking.
>>

> I've a small kumquat growing in a pot and this is the first year it
> has flowered and set fruit. I am hoping I get enough to make some
> marmalade.
>
> I try to nurture some truly out-of-zone things here in NJ by over
> wintering them inside. I've an arebequina olive (*very* small harvest,
> but by the gods, I have gotten some olives out of it), bougainvillea,
> kefir lime, Joshua tree and a couple of small sequoias.
>
> The basement gets to be fun in January, as does the kitchen. And there
> is the cactus collection and the euphorbias that come in, too.

You were obviously born to garden regardless of the climate. A basement
here in SE Texas is know as "the indoor swimming pool." Some of the big
buildings in Houston proper have basements but they have very large sump
pumps and sometimes they still flood. As the week there was eighteen
inches of rain earlier this year.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 01 Sep 2015 09:03:36 -0500, George Shirley >
wrote:

>On 9/1/2015 5:25 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 May 2015 15:57:08 -0500, George Shirley >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> If the rain stops anytime soon we will be going out to the pick and pay
>>> farms for blueberries, blackberries, figs, pears, and anything else that
>>> catches our eyes. I'm totally out of fig jam, two jars of kumquat
>>> marmalade left, no pear sauce but about a dozen pints of pear jelly left
>>>from 2012 picking.
>>>

>> I've a small kumquat growing in a pot and this is the first year it
>> has flowered and set fruit. I am hoping I get enough to make some
>> marmalade.
>>
>> I try to nurture some truly out-of-zone things here in NJ by over
>> wintering them inside. I've an arebequina olive (*very* small harvest,
>> but by the gods, I have gotten some olives out of it), bougainvillea,
>> kefir lime, Joshua tree and a couple of small sequoias.
>>
>> The basement gets to be fun in January, as does the kitchen. And there
>> is the cactus collection and the euphorbias that come in, too.
>>

>You were obviously born to garden regardless of the climate. A basement
>here in SE Texas is know as "the indoor swimming pool." Some of the big
>buildings in Houston proper have basements but they have very large sump
>pumps and sometimes they still flood. As the week there was eighteen
>inches of rain earlier this year.

I am next to a reservoir, between two rivers that flow into two lakes
and uphill of a stream Uphill is the operative in that sentence. I
live in a town notorious for flooding, but in one of those rare zones
in this place that isn't even considered in a 500 yr flood zone.

I will try to grow anything that has a seed or a pit.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/5/2015 7:54 AM, Lawrence wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 07:55:36 -0500, George Shirley >
> wrote:
>
>> we don't do a lot of pressure canning anymore.
>> The three boiling water bath canners do still get a work out frequently.

> It appears you prefer boiling water bath canning over pressure canning.
> Why??

You read my post wrong, we don't prefer bwb canning over pressure
canning we use both but in different ways. Certain foods MUST be
pressure canned, jams, jellies, pickles, etc. get boiling water bathed.

> Pressure canning is the only thing we do these days, as it seems to heat
> the kitchen less than boiling water bath canning. Canning times are
> typically shorter for pressure canning. It's "easier" to put the pressure
> canner on the back porch to cool (the description of "easier" is open to
> heated debate!).

Both put out a lot of heat, comes with canning, that and heavy lifting.
I never move the pressure canner off the stove until it is cooled
completely and is empty. BWB canner sometimes sits there for a few days
as in there's another batch coming down the road.

> My personal dilemma - the pressure canner is 60 miles away and I'm unable
> to regain custody. All my canning is done away from home. Am
> considering buying a boiling water bath canner for home because the
> initial cost is so much less than a pressure canner, but need to have the
> advantages of BWB explained.

Go he http://nchfp.uga.edu/ for info. The pressure canner is for
foods that MUST be pressure canned for a specific period, boiling water
bath is for jellies, jams, pickles, etc.

Big difference in usage.