Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Orange Maramlade

I am waiting for the dishwasher to finish (or get close) to put the
Temple orange making on to boil. Marmalades take a lot of time for
prep, especially when the recipe calls for 4 quarts each of orange
peel and pulp. Did that yesterday and actually making it today.
Praying that it will set or at least not too runny.

After being out of commission for about 6 months last year I get tired
easily. I also have to really think about what I need to do. Hope I
don't forget something important. If I am going to cook something
with more than 2 ingredients I have to get everything out and measured
before I actually start. And even that is not a 100% guaranteed.

Will let you know tomorrow whether I have marmalade or syrup.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/6/2015 10:24 AM, The Cook wrote:
> I am waiting for the dishwasher to finish (or get close) to put the
> Temple orange making on to boil. Marmalades take a lot of time for
> prep, especially when the recipe calls for 4 quarts each of orange
> peel and pulp. Did that yesterday and actually making it today.
> Praying that it will set or at least not too runny.
>
> After being out of commission for about 6 months last year I get tired
> easily. I also have to really think about what I need to do. Hope I
> don't forget something important. If I am going to cook something
> with more than 2 ingredients I have to get everything out and measured
> before I actually start. And even that is not a 100% guaranteed.
>
> Will let you know tomorrow whether I have marmalade or syrup.

I see you're using the elder citizen approach. Once I got past 70 I
started measuring all ingredients for anything I am making. Still have
to refer back to the recipe to be sure.

I made some lemon marmalade a while back and it set up perfect. I
usually don't open a new jar until it has set for two weeks. Made some
basil jelly and it turned out as basil syrup. Oh well, works good on
waffles and pancakes. <G>

I generally do the drip from the stirring spoon method and also the
spoon in the freezer method to ensure I am at least close to jelling. In
some cases when I've been distracted I end up with jars of fruit leather.

It's good to see you up and about Susan and glad you're doing better. I
have some days that I would rather just go ahead and die instead of
feeling bad for days at a time. I guess with heart problems, diabetes,
and several other problems from not taking care of my body when I was
young I am lucky to be around still. Stay cool as we hipsters used to
say and keep on preserving. I may try some orange marmalade when the
fresh crops come in around here and the prices drop some.

George, arranging and gathering tax info for the CPA, a true PITA
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 11:24:06 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

>I am waiting for the dishwasher to finish (or get close) to put the
>Temple orange making on to boil. Marmalades take a lot of time for
>prep, especially when the recipe calls for 4 quarts each of orange
>peel and pulp. Did that yesterday and actually making it today.
>Praying that it will set or at least not too runny.
>
>After being out of commission for about 6 months last year I get tired
>easily. I also have to really think about what I need to do. Hope I
>don't forget something important. If I am going to cook something
>with more than 2 ingredients I have to get everything out and measured
>before I actually start. And even that is not a 100% guaranteed.
>
>Will let you know tomorrow whether I have marmalade or syrup.

This morning it looks more like orange syrup. Will see if it firms up
later. If not we will have 14 1/2 pint jars of orange syrup.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/7/2015 8:53 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 11:24:06 -0500, The Cook >
> wrote:
>
>> I am waiting for the dishwasher to finish (or get close) to put the
>> Temple orange making on to boil. Marmalades take a lot of time for
>> prep, especially when the recipe calls for 4 quarts each of orange
>> peel and pulp. Did that yesterday and actually making it today.
>> Praying that it will set or at least not too runny.
>>
>> After being out of commission for about 6 months last year I get tired
>> easily. I also have to really think about what I need to do. Hope I
>> don't forget something important. If I am going to cook something
>> with more than 2 ingredients I have to get everything out and measured
>> before I actually start. And even that is not a 100% guaranteed.
>>
>> Will let you know tomorrow whether I have marmalade or syrup.

> This morning it looks more like orange syrup. Will see if it firms up
> later. If not we will have 14 1/2 pint jars of orange syrup.

Or you can redo it, have had to do that a time or two when I misjudged
setting time.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 07 Feb 2015 09:03:31 -0600, George Shirley >
wrote:

>On 2/7/2015 8:53 AM, The Cook wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 11:24:06 -0500, The Cook >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am waiting for the dishwasher to finish (or get close) to put the
>>> Temple orange making on to boil. Marmalades take a lot of time for
>>> prep, especially when the recipe calls for 4 quarts each of orange
>>> peel and pulp. Did that yesterday and actually making it today.
>>> Praying that it will set or at least not too runny.
>>>
>>> After being out of commission for about 6 months last year I get tired
>>> easily. I also have to really think about what I need to do. Hope I
>>> don't forget something important. If I am going to cook something
>>> with more than 2 ingredients I have to get everything out and measured
>>> before I actually start. And even that is not a 100% guaranteed.
>>>
>>> Will let you know tomorrow whether I have marmalade or syrup.

>> This morning it looks more like orange syrup. Will see if it firms up
>> later. If not we will have 14 1/2 pint jars of orange syrup.
>>

>Or you can redo it, have had to do that a time or two when I misjudged
>setting time.

Me too.

If you put it back on to boil and watch it closely, the nature of the
boil changes almost becoming foamy.

I have had a couple of batches that I was too hasty with.

JB

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-02-07 14:53:36 +0000, The Cook said:

> On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 11:24:06 -0500, The Cook >
> wrote:
>
>> I am waiting for the dishwasher to finish (or get close) to put the
>> Temple orange making on to boil. Marmalades take a lot of time for
>> prep, especially when the recipe calls for 4 quarts each of orange
>> peel and pulp. Did that yesterday and actually making it today.
>> Praying that it will set or at least not too runny.
>>
>> After being out of commission for about 6 months last year I get tired
>> easily. I also have to really think about what I need to do. Hope I
>> don't forget something important. If I am going to cook something
>> with more than 2 ingredients I have to get everything out and measured
>> before I actually start. And even that is not a 100% guaranteed.
>>
>> Will let you know tomorrow whether I have marmalade or syrup.

> This morning it looks more like orange syrup. Will see if it firms up
> later. If not we will have 14 1/2 pint jars of orange syrup.

Will you give it a couple weeks to set?

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/11/2015 6:08 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-02-07 14:53:36 +0000, The Cook said:
>
>> On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 11:24:06 -0500, The Cook >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am waiting for the dishwasher to finish (or get close) to put the
>>> Temple orange making on to boil. Marmalades take a lot of time for
>>> prep, especially when the recipe calls for 4 quarts each of orange
>>> peel and pulp. Did that yesterday and actually making it today.
>>> Praying that it will set or at least not too runny.
>>>
>>> After being out of commission for about 6 months last year I get tired
>>> easily. I also have to really think about what I need to do. Hope I
>>> don't forget something important. If I am going to cook something
>>> with more than 2 ingredients I have to get everything out and measured
>>> before I actually start. And even that is not a 100% guaranteed.
>>>
>>> Will let you know tomorrow whether I have marmalade or syrup.

>> This morning it looks more like orange syrup. Will see if it firms up
>> later. If not we will have 14 1/2 pint jars of orange syrup.

> Will you give it a couple weeks to set?

Wow! I had about given you up for dead Barb. Anne and I were talking
about you today, were your ears burning? How's things in Minnehaha land
other than snow and ice? Did you show at the fair last year?

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:08:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>On 2015-02-07 14:53:36 +0000, The Cook said:
>
>> On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 11:24:06 -0500, The Cook >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am waiting for the dishwasher to finish (or get close) to put the
>>> Temple orange making on to boil. Marmalades take a lot of time for
>>> prep, especially when the recipe calls for 4 quarts each of orange
>>> peel and pulp. Did that yesterday and actually making it today.
>>> Praying that it will set or at least not too runny.
>>>
>>> After being out of commission for about 6 months last year I get tired
>>> easily. I also have to really think about what I need to do. Hope I
>>> don't forget something important. If I am going to cook something
>>> with more than 2 ingredients I have to get everything out and measured
>>> before I actually start. And even that is not a 100% guaranteed.
>>>
>>> Will let you know tomorrow whether I have marmalade or syrup.

>> This morning it looks more like orange syrup. Will see if it firms up
>> later. If not we will have 14 1/2 pint jars of orange syrup.

>Will you give it a couple weeks to set?
>
>--

Yes. The one I put in the refrigerator was still pretty syrupy
yesterday and the others are sitting in the kitchen without labels. I
am waiting to see if they will firm up. I think they are looking
better. I am not looking for rock hard, just not too runny. No
labels since I don't want to waste them if I decide to recook.

Glad to see you back here. Hope you will stay a while.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-02-12 01:27:17 +0000, George Shirley said:

> On 2/11/2015 6:08 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> On 2015-02-07 14:53:36 +0000, The Cook said:

>>> This morning it looks more like orange syrup. Will see if it firms up
>>> later. If not we will have 14 1/2 pint jars of orange syrup.

>> Will you give it a couple weeks to set?
>>

> Wow! I had about given you up for dead Barb. Anne and I were talking
> about you today, were your ears burning? How's things in Minnehaha land
> other than snow and ice? Did you show at the fair last year?
>
> George

Oh, George. . . .I'm hanging in there, sometimes by a fingernail. I
lost four family members and a very dear friend last summer starting
end of June when my elderly SIL passed. Friend in July. Elderly sister
in August. Niece (younger than I) in Sept (she was the daughtr of the
SIL who passed in June. . . unrelated deaths. Elderly sister in
October. Of 13 of us, we are now 6 €” lost four siblings in the last
3-1/2 years. Harder than I ever would have thought, inasmuch as I'm
the youngest and have always figured I'd bury all of them. We're not a
close family and I think I decided it's been hard because we shared
history. AND there are only two pretty old ones who know some of the
family history. And I continue to watch over my brother's care.
psp.org. Read it and weep.

I had 7 blue ribbons at the fair last summer and was whomped by a guy
who had 11. I bow to his expertise! Wish I could meet him.

Not so much snow here though it's cold today. We have nothhing like
the schlubs in New England. Uffda. Say hey to Miz Anne! I ran across
your Christmas card and figured I needed to write y'all. This might
have been it. '-)
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-02-12 12:10:20 +0000, The Cook said:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:08:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-02-07 14:53:36 +0000, The Cook said:
>>
>>> On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 11:24:06 -0500, The Cook >
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> This morning it looks more like orange syrup. Will see if it firms up
>>> later. If not we will have 14 1/2 pint jars of orange syrup.

>> Will you give it a couple weeks to set?
>>
>> --

> Yes. The one I put in the refrigerator was still pretty syrupy
> yesterday and the others are sitting in the kitchen without labels. I
> am waiting to see if they will firm up. I think they are looking
> better. I am not looking for rock hard, just not too runny. No
> labels since I don't want to waste them if I decide to recook.
>
> Glad to see you back here. Hope you will stay a while.

I waste an inordinate amount of time on Facebook.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/12/2015 9:00 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-02-12 01:27:17 +0000, George Shirley said:

>>> Will you give it a couple weeks to set?
>>>

>> Wow! I had about given you up for dead Barb. Anne and I were talking
>> about you today, were your ears burning? How's things in Minnehaha
>> land other than snow and ice? Did you show at the fair last year?
>>
>> George

> Oh, George. . . .I'm hanging in there, sometimes by a fingernail. I
> lost four family members and a very dear friend last summer starting end
> of June when my elderly SIL passed. Friend in July. Elderly sister in
> August. Niece (younger than I) in Sept (she was the daughtr of the SIL
> who passed in June. . . unrelated deaths. Elderly sister in October.
> Of 13 of us, we are now 6 €” lost four siblings in the last 3-1/2 years.
> Harder than I ever would have thought, inasmuch as I'm the youngest and
> have always figured I'd bury all of them. We're not a close family and
> I think I decided it's been hard because we shared history. AND there
> are only two pretty old ones who know some of the family history. And I
> continue to watch over my brother's care. psp.org. Read it and weep.
>
> I had 7 blue ribbons at the fair last summer and was whomped by a guy
> who had 11. I bow to his expertise! Wish I could meet him.
>
> Not so much snow here though it's cold today. We have nothhing like the
> schlubs in New England. Uffda. Say hey to Miz Anne! I ran across your
> Christmas card and figured I needed to write y'all. This might have
> been it. '-)

You're in our minds quite often. Sometimes we will be in the kitchen
together and one of us will say, "Wonder what Barb's doing today?"
Particularly if we're canning something or the other.

Most of my beloved family members are long gone but the memories exist.
And we're finally organizing all the photos of family on both sides and
of our world traveling period in our life. Sorrow heals eventually but
memories remain and pop up in your mind when you see or do something
that triggers those good memories.

Stay well and keep on cooking.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-02-13 15:55:44 +0000, George Shirley said:

> On 2/12/2015 9:00 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> On 2015-02-12 01:27:17 +0000, George Shirley said:
>>
>> Oh, George. . . .I'm hanging in there, sometimes by a fingernail. I
>> lost four family members and a very dear friend last summer starting end
>> of June when my elderly SIL passed. Friend in July. Elderly sister in
>> August. Niece (younger than I) in Sept (she was the daughtr of the SIL
>> who passed in June. . . unrelated deaths. Elderly sister in October.
>> Of 13 of us, we are now 6 €” lost four siblings in the last 3-1/2 years.
>> Harder than I ever would have thought, inasmuch as I'm the youngest and
>> have always figured I'd bury all of them. We're not a close family and
>> I think I decided it's been hard because we shared history. AND there
>> are only two pretty old ones who know some of the family history. And I
>> continue to watch over my brother's care. psp.org. Read it and weep.
>>
>> I had 7 blue ribbons at the fair last summer and was whomped by a guy
>> who had 11. I bow to his expertise! Wish I could meet him.
>>
>> Not so much snow here though it's cold today. We have nothhing like the
>> schlubs in New England. Uffda. Say hey to Miz Anne! I ran across your
>> Christmas card and figured I needed to write y'all. This might have
>> been it. '-)

> You're in our minds quite often. Sometimes we will be in the kitchen
> together and one of us will say, "Wonder what Barb's doing today?"
> Particularly if we're canning something or the other.
>
> Most of my beloved family members are long gone but the memories exist.
> And we're finally organizing all the photos of family on both sides and
> of our world traveling period in our life. Sorrow heals eventually but
> memories remain and pop up in your mind when you see or do something
> that triggers those good memories.
>
> Stay well and keep on cooking.

Our local PBS tv station has a big project underway €” a documentary
about the Minnesota State Fair. I was interviewed for it at last
year's fair and they're editing €” I believe they want it ready this
year €” and asked if I have any video of me canning when I was a kid, or
other kitchen pictures from my youth. Uh, no. People didn't own movie
cameras or even still camers in the 1940s and '50s the way they do
today. THAT said, I tagged a nephew who has scanned a shipload of his
dad's (my 91-year-old brother) military pictures from WWII (I guess he
had a camera). There are some that are really special. I did send the
TPT folks some pics of me and my mom when I was about a year old and a
pic of our house (still standing) where I grew up. They hope to make
the program available to other public tv stations around the country.
No idea how that works or who would be interested in seeing it. If it
works out, I'll give you a shout.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/13/2015 5:24 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-02-13 15:55:44 +0000, George Shirley said:
>
>> On 2/12/2015 9:00 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> On 2015-02-12 01:27:17 +0000, George Shirley said:
>>>
>>> Oh, George. . . .I'm hanging in there, sometimes by a fingernail. I
>>> lost four family members and a very dear friend last summer starting end
>>> of June when my elderly SIL passed. Friend in July. Elderly sister in
>>> August. Niece (younger than I) in Sept (she was the daughtr of the SIL
>>> who passed in June. . . unrelated deaths. Elderly sister in October.
>>> Of 13 of us, we are now 6 €” lost four siblings in the last 3-1/2 years.
>>> Harder than I ever would have thought, inasmuch as I'm the youngest and
>>> have always figured I'd bury all of them. We're not a close family and
>>> I think I decided it's been hard because we shared history. AND there
>>> are only two pretty old ones who know some of the family history. And I
>>> continue to watch over my brother's care. psp.org. Read it and weep.
>>>
>>> I had 7 blue ribbons at the fair last summer and was whomped by a guy
>>> who had 11. I bow to his expertise! Wish I could meet him.
>>>
>>> Not so much snow here though it's cold today. We have nothhing like the
>>> schlubs in New England. Uffda. Say hey to Miz Anne! I ran across your
>>> Christmas card and figured I needed to write y'all. This might have
>>> been it. '-)

>> You're in our minds quite often. Sometimes we will be in the kitchen
>> together and one of us will say, "Wonder what Barb's doing today?"
>> Particularly if we're canning something or the other.
>>
>> Most of my beloved family members are long gone but the memories
>> exist. And we're finally organizing all the photos of family on both
>> sides and of our world traveling period in our life. Sorrow heals
>> eventually but memories remain and pop up in your mind when you see or
>> do something that triggers those good memories.
>>
>> Stay well and keep on cooking.

> Our local PBS tv station has a big project underway €” a documentary
> about the Minnesota State Fair. I was interviewed for it at last year's
> fair and they're editing €” I believe they want it ready this year €” and
> asked if I have any video of me canning when I was a kid, or other
> kitchen pictures from my youth. Uh, no. People didn't own movie
> cameras or even still camers in the 1940s and '50s the way they do
> today. THAT said, I tagged a nephew who has scanned a shipload of his
> dad's (my 91-year-old brother) military pictures from WWII (I guess he
> had a camera). There are some that are really special. I did send the
> TPT folks some pics of me and my mom when I was about a year old and a
> pic of our house (still standing) where I grew up. They hope to make
> the program available to other public tv stations around the country. No
> idea how that works or who would be interested in seeing it. If it
> works out, I'll give you a shout.

We watch PBS frequently, mostly the Antiques Roadshow, both American and
British. Otherwise it's just another liberal mouthpiece television
channel. Will keep an eye on what's coming up. Will you still talk to us
poor folks that have to put up their own food when you go nationwide and
become a star? (Ducking and running)
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-02-14 01:05:01 +0000, George Shirley said:

> On 2/13/2015 5:24 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> You're in our minds quite often. Sometimes we will be in the kitchen
>>> together and one of us will say, "Wonder what Barb's doing today?"
>>> Particularly if we're canning something or the other.
>>>
>>> Most of my beloved family members are long gone but the memories
>>> exist. And we're finally organizing all the photos of family on both
>>> sides and of our world traveling period in our life. Sorrow heals
>>> eventually but memories remain and pop up in your mind when you see or
>>> do something that triggers those good memories.
>>>
>>> Stay well and keep on cooking.

>> Our local PBS tv station has a big project underway €” a documentary
>> about the Minnesota State Fair. I was interviewed for it at last year's
>> fair and they're editing €” I believe they want it ready this year €” and
>> asked if I have any video of me canning when I was a kid, or other
>> kitchen pictures from my youth. Uh, no. People didn't own movie
>> cameras or even still camers in the 1940s and '50s the way they do
>> today. THAT said, I tagged a nephew who has scanned a shipload of his
>> dad's (my 91-year-old brother) military pictures from WWII (I guess he
>> had a camera). There are some that are really special. I did send the
>> TPT folks some pics of me and my mom when I was about a year old and a
>> pic of our house (still standing) where I grew up. They hope to make
>> the program available to other public tv stations around the country. No
>> idea how that works or who would be interested in seeing it. If it
>> works out, I'll give you a shout.

> We watch PBS frequently, mostly the Antiques Roadshow, both American
> and British. Otherwise it's just another liberal mouthpiece television
> channel. Will keep an eye on what's coming up. Will you still talk to
> us poor folks that have to put up their own food when you go nationwide
> and become a star? (Ducking and running)

Hey, I may have put a curse on it, talking about it before it actually
happened. I was interviewed for a story in the NYT the year the
Republican party held its nationall convention in the Twin Cities €” and
the story was shortened and left me out. LOL!! It's always curious to
me to see how the interviews translate to what is published or
broadcast. Everyone has their own agenda. (And you can't run fast
enough!!)

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/14/2015 10:22 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-02-14 01:05:01 +0000, George Shirley said:

>>> Our local PBS tv station has a big project underway €” a documentary
>>> about the Minnesota State Fair. I was interviewed for it at last year's
>>> fair and they're editing €” I believe they want it ready this year €” and
>>> asked if I have any video of me canning when I was a kid, or other
>>> kitchen pictures from my youth. Uh, no. People didn't own movie
>>> cameras or even still camers in the 1940s and '50s the way they do
>>> today. THAT said, I tagged a nephew who has scanned a shipload of his
>>> dad's (my 91-year-old brother) military pictures from WWII (I guess he
>>> had a camera). There are some that are really special. I did send the
>>> TPT folks some pics of me and my mom when I was about a year old and a
>>> pic of our house (still standing) where I grew up. They hope to make
>>> the program available to other public tv stations around the country. No
>>> idea how that works or who would be interested in seeing it. If it
>>> works out, I'll give you a shout.

>> We watch PBS frequently, mostly the Antiques Roadshow, both American
>> and British. Otherwise it's just another liberal mouthpiece television
>> channel. Will keep an eye on what's coming up. Will you still talk to
>> us poor folks that have to put up their own food when you go
>> nationwide and become a star? (Ducking and running)

> Hey, I may have put a curse on it, talking about it before it actually
> happened. I was interviewed for a story in the NYT the year the
> Republican party held its nationall convention in the Twin Cities €” and
> the story was shortened and left me out. LOL!! It's always curious to
> me to see how the interviews translate to what is published or
> broadcast. Everyone has their own agenda. (And you can't run fast
> enough!!)

I can't run at all anymore, barely can walk most of the time. The
strokes years ago have pretty much done in my right leg. I'm tempted to
have it cut off and get a peg and a eye patch and walk around singing
pirate songs. Between the right leg and the right arm it's a wonder I
can still type.

I was interviewed a few times when I was still doing corporate safety. I
was always amazed that some **** ant reporter who had his or her own
agenda would try to get me to say something that was wrong. I walked
away from several of those and, generally, the camera person smiled and
waved at me. I guess there are many reporters who are basically disliked
by the people who work with them. Probably not as much as I disliked them.

One very small male reporter kept adjusting the distance between us so
he would look taller on the camera. I just kept getting closer and
closer until he cancelled the interview. About a month later he was
fired from his job for similar shenanigans involving a mayor and a state
representative, both over six feet tall.

One of the major companies I worked for had sent myself and our chief
engineer to interview school in Houston for two weeks and those folks
really taught us how to handle the reporters. I appreciated that class
very much.

Just in your honor Barb I am putting up pickled dirt clods today, with
cinnamon and cloves. <BSEG>