Posted to rec.food.cooking, rec.food.preserving

Default The 20th Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
LAST year!!

THIS was a good year! I am happy.

Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
with 7 blues! W00t!

So, the blues were for
Blackberry Jelly
Cherry Jelly
Raspberry Jelly
Nectarine Jam
Strawberry Jam
Apricot Butter
Stewed Tomatoes

Second place for
Peach Jam
Watermelon Pickles

Third place for
Strawberry Jelly
Apricot Jam
Cherry Jam

AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
Show for Jellies and Jams.

Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
Hear me roar! ;-)

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On 8/21/2014 7:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
> LAST year!!
>
> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons, two
> second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for being
> better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in town who
> kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy with 7
> blues! W00t!
>
> So, the blues were for
> Blackberry Jelly
> Cherry Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Nectarine Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Apricot Butter
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Second place for
> Peach Jam
> Watermelon Pickles
>

> Third place for
> Strawberry Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Cherry Jam
>
> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
> Show for Jellies and Jams.
>
> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman! Hear
> me roar! ;-)

You go Girl! Glad to hear from you again and that you're still taking
names and kicking butt.

I've done a little preserving this year but not nearly as much as when
we had the much larger garden and mature fruit trees. Let us hear from
you more often.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On 8/21/2014 8:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
> LAST year!!
>
> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons, two
> second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for being
> better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in town who
> kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy with 7
> blues! W00t!

We'll get Tanya Harding to fix that situation for you next year.
Meantime, congrats on a great showing.

> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman! Hear
> me roar! ;-)

Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets better soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On 8/21/2014 7:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
> LAST year!!
>
> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons, two
> second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for being
> better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in town who
> kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy with 7
> blues! W00t!
>
> So, the blues were for
> Blackberry Jelly
> Cherry Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Nectarine Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Apricot Butter
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Second place for
> Peach Jam
> Watermelon Pickles
>

> Third place for
> Strawberry Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Cherry Jam
>
> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
> Show for Jellies and Jams.
>
> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman! Hear
> me roar! ;-)

Congratulations, Barb!

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

On 8/21/2014 8:28 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
> LAST year!!
>
> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons, two
> second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for being
> better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in town who
> kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy with 7
> blues! W00t!
>
> So, the blues were for
> Blackberry Jelly
> Cherry Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Nectarine Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Apricot Butter
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Second place for
> Peach Jam
> Watermelon Pickles
>

> Third place for
> Strawberry Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Cherry Jam
>
> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
> Show for Jellies and Jams.
>
> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman! Hear
> me roar! ;-)

I look forward to the ribbon report every year, but I'm very
sorry to hear about your rough times.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
> two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
> being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
> town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
> with 7 blues! W00t!

So, still no Barb's Beety Beauty? No wonder you ended up with a
miserable failure yet again!

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Wait, that was
> LAST year!!
>
> THIS was a good year! I am happy.
>
> Of 19 entries at the Great Minnesota Get-Together, our state fair,
> opening today and continuing until Labor Day, I have 7 blue ribbons,
> two second place, and three thirds. I will not receive the plaque for
> being better at it than anyone else (there's a relative newcomer in
> town who kicked a** with 11 first place ribbons) and I'm really happy
> with 7 blues! W00t!

congratulations!

> So, the blues were for
> Blackberry Jelly
> Cherry Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Nectarine Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Apricot Butter
> Stewed Tomatoes
>
> Second place for
> Peach Jam
> Watermelon Pickles
>

> Third place for
> Strawberry Jelly
> Apricot Jam
> Cherry Jam

Strawberry Jelly? really? wow...

does anyone do wine or spirits based jellies
or are they banned?

> AND the Mrs. Wages (preserving products) Blue Ribbon Award for Best in
> Show for Jellies and Jams.
>
> Life has been hard on me the last year -- sibling deaths, good friend
> death, declining health of my brother, etc. But, hey, I Am Woman!
> Hear me roar! ;-)

aw, it's tough to lose a good friend or family
member. impossible to replace that depth and
history. one foot in front of the other...
if i hear roaring i put those foots in front
of each other a bit faster.

songbird