Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default 24 oz jars

Oh hooray... I finally received my 3 cases of 24 oz jars today. Only 9 to a case (go figure) but I am so happy to have found these again. I was unable to get them for at least a couple decades so I assumed they stopped making them. No one carried them locally. I love these jars for certain things.

The cukes have slowed down, though we do have later plantings coming along. My family has always enjoyed Barb Schaller's B&B pickles so much; I can never put up enough it seems. The Kentucky Wonders are finally flowering--- the latest of all our pole bean varieties. Extremely late. DH thinned the black-eye peas over the weekend. If the deer don't break in and eat them, we will have lots to freeze this year. They will be flowering soon and swarming with wasps. No, the wasps don't bother us. They are too busy feasting on all that sweet black-eye pea flower nectar.

We had to put out the Have-a-Heart trap last night for whatever is eating my deck tomatoes--- especially my favorite heirloom yellow pears. Some of the sweet chiles are starting to color now. I used a lot of them, green, in the B&Bs so far and they are delicious. I will chop and freeze them in packets for later use in chili, pasta, jambalaya, etc. I have also been sautéing them in EVO until they start to caramelize. That is one technique I wish I had known about earlier--- for peppers that is.

So far I've put up 24 pints of B&Bs, 7 quarts of beans and 4 quarts of dills. We've given away at least a bushel of beans. For a few years, I was unable to preserve anything so this year is really special.

Isabella
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/5/2014 12:56 PM, Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

> Oh hooray... I finally received my 3 cases of 24 oz jars today. Only 9 to a case (go figure) but I am so happy to have found these again. I was unable to get them for at least a couple decades so I assumed they stopped making them. No one carried them locally. I love these jars for certain things.
>
> The cukes have slowed down, though we do have later plantings coming along. My family has always enjoyed Barb Schaller's B&B pickles so much; I can never put up enough it seems. The Kentucky Wonders are finally flowering--- the latest of all our pole bean varieties. Extremely late. DH thinned the black-eye peas over the weekend. If the deer don't break in and eat them, we will have lots to freeze this year. They will be flowering soon and swarming with wasps. No, the wasps don't bother us. They are too busy feasting on all that sweet black-eye pea flower nectar.
>
> We had to put out the Have-a-Heart trap last night for whatever is eating my deck tomatoes--- especially my favorite heirloom yellow pears. Some of the sweet chiles are starting to color now. I used a lot of them, green, in the B&Bs so far and they are delicious. I will chop and freeze them in packets for later use in chili, pasta, jambalaya, etc. I have also been sautéing them in EVO until they start to caramelize. That is one technique I wish I had known about earlier--- for peppers that is.
>
> So far I've put up 24 pints of B&Bs, 7 quarts of beans and 4 quarts of dills. We've given away at least a bushel of beans. For a few years, I was unable to preserve anything so this year is really special.
>
> Isabella

Sounds like it's all coming together Isabella. I have lots of 26 ounce
jars, a dear friend evidently liked a name brand pasta sauce and she
saved all the jars for us. Unfortunately the company went to a common
jar a few years ago.

I did find another source of pint jars. Kory's Roux, made in Louisiana,
has both the dried and wet roux and the jars are Mason and the plastic
lids fit any Mason type jar. So we get a free jar and a free lid that
will cover the product after the Mason lid is removed.

George

Jars & best before NT Preserving 5 12-08-2012 09:19 PM
Jars George Shirley Preserving 15 23-06-2009 01:22 PM
The jars are in!! Ted Mittelstaedt Preserving 39 19-02-2008 03:26 PM
Jars, jars, jars Puester Preserving 2 27-06-2005 02:53 AM
More jars! Elizabeth Naime Preserving 7 01-10-2004 10:49 PM