Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default pressure canner model 921 1\2

My son came across an All American pressure canner. The label says model number 921 1\2, yes one half. There is no jiggler, nor any place for it to mount. There is a guage and a device with a toggle that vents the canner. I ran it up to pressure and there appears to be no regulation method - it went to 19 psi and I shut it off.

I found the manual online for model 921, but it only references the use of the jiggler.

Does anyone know anything of this pot? Do you control the pressure just with heat? Can you retrofit a jiggler?

I've never used a pressure canner and would like to give it a try.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
> wrote:

> My son came across an All American pressure canner. The label says model
> number 921 1\2, yes one half. There is no jiggler, nor any place for it to
> mount. There is a guage and a device with a toggle that vents the canner. I
> ran it up to pressure and there appears to be no regulation method - it went
> to 19 psi and I shut it off.
>
> I found the manual online for model 921, but it only references the use of
> the jiggler.
>
> Does anyone know anything of this pot? Do you control the pressure just with
> heat? Can you retrofit a jiggler?
>
> I've never used a pressure canner and would like to give it a try.
>
> Thanks for any info you can provide.

Try http://www.allamericancanner.com/contact.htm

Get the answer from the horse's mouth.

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> Try http://www.allamericancanner.com/contact.htm
>

> Get the answer from the horse's mouth.
>

> --
>
> ³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
>
> sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes

will do. Thanks
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> Does it actually say 921 1/2 or is it 921.5? The 921 holds 21.5 quarts
>
> of water when completely full. It has no jiggler, it has a pressure
>
> gauge and a blow out device if it over pressures. The relief valve is
>
> round and is attached to the lid. I would go online and look for a
>
> complete manual if one didn't come with it.
>

> Pressure canning is fairly easy but YOU MUST FOLLOW THE MANUAL'S RULES
>
> at all times and you cannot walk away from the canner until it is off
>
> the fire and cooling down.
>

> All American is top of the line, I've been looking for one in thrift
>
> stores to give me a second canner to help out my early sixties Sears
>
> canner that I bought new. Here's the URL for the All American web site:
>
> http://www.allamericancooker.com/all...surecooker.htm
>

> In addition the canning book, "So Easy to Preserve," is available at a
>
> reasonable price from the University of Georgia food safety site, go
>
> he http://nchfp.uga.edu/
>

> Hope this helps,
>

> George Shirley

Yes, the model number says "921 1/2". Strange.

Thanks for the link and the tips.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 15:58:30 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>My son came across an All American pressure canner. The label says model number 921 1\2, yes one half. There is no jiggler, nor any place for it to mount. There is a guage and a device with a toggle that vents the canner. I ran it up to pressure and there appears to be no regulation method - it went to 19 psi and I shut it off.
>
>I found the manual online for model 921, but it only references the use of the jiggler.
>
>Does anyone know anything of this pot? Do you control the pressure just with heat? Can you retrofit a jiggler?
>
>I've never used a pressure canner and would like to give it a try.
>
>Thanks for any info you can provide.

Several years ago I managed to score an older All American Model 925
for a very low price. It was the type with the toggle valve and no
means for a pressure regulator weight.
I also have a Mirro pressure canner that uses the same pressure
regulator weight as the newer All American canners so I did some
retrofit checking on my 925.
I removed the vent pipe from the Mirro as well as the toggle valve
from the All American. The vent pipe from the Mirro had the same
thread as the toggle valve from the All American.
I ordered a new vent pipe (All American part number 69) and another
pressure regulator weight (All American part number 68).
The old toggle valve is now in a drawer somewhere in the workshop,
never to be found again.
My updated 925 with vent pipe and pressure regulator weight works like
a charm.
Just one caveat if you make this retrofit, there is no over pressure
safety plug on your 921 as the old toggle valve also acted as a safety
relief valve. With the vent pipe replacing the toggle valve, in the
event it becomes clogged, there is no over pressure safety relief
system. You will just have to keep a closer watch on the pressure
gauge.
Just did a quick search and both parts are available he
http://www.allamericancanner.com/all...annerparts.htm

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Thanks for the info and the heads up about the relief valve - don't think I'll tell my wife about that. She's already afraid of the thing.

There is another port on the lid. I thought it was the pressure relief valve. About a cm across with a 1 mm hole. The hole is blocked. ??

Mirro pressure canner Melba's Jammin' Preserving 1 28-08-2014 11:24 PM
question about getting a new pressure canner Mark Daniel Ward Preserving 19 22-07-2009 02:34 PM
Pressure Canner Al Reid Preserving 20 26-07-2006 02:25 PM
New (to me) Pressure Canner Keith Warren Preserving 33 08-08-2005 07:55 PM
Pressure Canner Andrew Valiukas Preserving 16 12-12-2003 10:43 AM