Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Hot sauce

I'm looking to make a hot sauce can you give me some hints as to what I should put in it? I would greatly appreciate it TY
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Not in Texas or Louisiana Geoff. Around here that's not technically a
> hot sauce but a sweet sauce with the ketchup in it. Hot sauce down here
> has no sugar in it at all. The sauce is fermented in barrels or crocks
> and then diluted a bit with 5% USP white vinegar so it will keep. What
> you described is considered a make it now "dipping" sauce for shrimp,
> etc. I enjoy those myself and make my own for use on shrimp and fish.
> Never did care for that white stuff other people put on fish, nasty
> tasting. <G>

Hi George,

That was my first reaction too, but I figured that was far beyond a simple
usenet answer. Anyone can mix ketchup and chilli and get a resonable sauce,
while brewing anything is not a simple game, and one little mistake can
leave you with your own private "bilogical weapon" :-(

> Good to hear from you again.

You too, I hope spring is upon you. We go from winter (40-50 days,
35-45 nights) to summer (80+ days, 70+ nights) in a matter of 3 to 4 weeks,
and it's not gradual, it's a mix of hot days and cold ones, and not much
in between.

Geoff.