Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Question for the Group

Hi all, I would like to grow some Heirloom beans that I can let dry on the
plants for later usage. I live in southeastern Wisconsin. Can anyone
suggest what would grow well in my area? Any and all help will be
appreciated. Thanks. John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/22/2014 10:24 AM, wrote:
> Hi all, I would like to grow some Heirloom beans that I can let dry on the
> plants for later usage. I live in southeastern Wisconsin. Can anyone
> suggest what would grow well in my area? Any and all help will be
> appreciated. Thanks. John

Most any heirloom bean seed should grow in your area John. Here's a URL
for one company that handles such seeds:
http://www.cherrygal.com/vegetablesb...-12_44_94.html

A simple internet search for "heirloom bean seeds for Southeastern
Wisconsin" will give you many others to look at.

Pretty much any open pollinated bean seed can be saved and planted. We
grow crowder peas every year and have been using the same seeds for at
least twenty years. We choose the pods that are long and fat with seeds,
tie a colorful piece of rag around it and let it dry on the vine. Then
shell the peas and put them in small paper bags and keep in a container
in the fridge.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Thanks George. I did a google as you suggested & found a load of seed
suppliers. John

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Thank you for your kind offer Songbird. I will email you soon. Thanks again
John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Thanks for the suggestion Drew. I'll check it out John