Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default [OT] the zombie apocolypse

from another thread...

these random comments about zombies are
pretty interesting. i know there are more
movies coming along or a t.v. series is
popular or something, but to me this is
nudging at some other things...

remember before when you'd see the once in a
while vampire or monster movie, but they were
not constantly put out, so it was like the
monsters were not that prevalent? things like
the Japanese monster movies don't count do they?

then several years ago, we had this huge upsurge
in books/movies about vampires, werewolves and
other creatures. almost all young adult books and
many adult books also had some angle on vampires,
or the occult. this was for some years, it may
even still be going on, i've not checked the
stacks as much these past few years as compared
to when i worked at the library...

so is this a way of starting to talk about
what may be coming for the world? a way to have
the conversation without really having it? an
indirect way of talking about potentially tough
or troubling things/times, but since we are
talking about zombies it's not quite so scary
and we can laugh a bit? the monsters are getting
to look more and more like regular folks, getting
closer to reality.

*nom nom* brainz... *nom nom* <-- sorry, i
just hadda put that in there...

i'm not one of those people who can see what
might be coming and not start to try to prepare
in some ways. as i have plenty of time it's a
useful way to keep me pondering. the more i can
grow and store foods the better off we are
anyways -- i like knowing where my food comes
from and how it was grown. if i can also build
a useful library and be a resource for others
(seeds and gardening help) that's all good.
that and making the site as plant/critter
friendly as possible. if we don't make it at
least the critters will be ok and most of them
will recover as if we weren't even here...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/17/2014 5:12 PM, songbird wrote:
> from another thread...
>
> these random comments about zombies are
> pretty interesting. i know there are more
> movies coming along or a t.v. series is
> popular or something, but to me this is
> nudging at some other things...
>
> remember before when you'd see the once in a
> while vampire or monster movie, but they were
> not constantly put out, so it was like the
> monsters were not that prevalent? things like
> the Japanese monster movies don't count do they?
>
> then several years ago, we had this huge upsurge
> in books/movies about vampires, werewolves and
> other creatures. almost all young adult books and
> many adult books also had some angle on vampires,
> or the occult. this was for some years, it may
> even still be going on, i've not checked the
> stacks as much these past few years as compared
> to when i worked at the library...
>
> so is this a way of starting to talk about
> what may be coming for the world? a way to have
> the conversation without really having it? an
> indirect way of talking about potentially tough
> or troubling things/times, but since we are
> talking about zombies it's not quite so scary
> and we can laugh a bit? the monsters are getting
> to look more and more like regular folks, getting
> closer to reality.
>
> *nom nom* brainz... *nom nom* <-- sorry, i
> just hadda put that in there...
>
> i'm not one of those people who can see what
> might be coming and not start to try to prepare
> in some ways. as i have plenty of time it's a
> useful way to keep me pondering. the more i can
> grow and store foods the better off we are
> anyways -- i like knowing where my food comes
> from and how it was grown. if i can also build
> a useful library and be a resource for others
> (seeds and gardening help) that's all good.
> that and making the site as plant/critter
> friendly as possible. if we don't make it at
> least the critters will be ok and most of them
> will recover as if we weren't even here...
>

> songbird

I think it's young people wanting some "escape" movies that spurred this
on. Most of we old people just don't believe in those critters, probably
because we've always been working to get ahead and secure a future. I
worry more about our economy tanking and leaving all of us broke and
dependent upon the gubmint for food and shelter. I was born shortly
after the Great Depression ended and my folks and elder sisters lived
through that. They were always poor but not destitute and worked hard to
get ahead in their world. I graduated from college in 1976 and was born
in 1939, do the math. I am thankful for the Vietnam Veteran GI bill
because we prospered somewhat after I went to college on that one. I was
also the first of my extended family to go to college, my Mom quit the
third grade when she was fourteen because she had to go to work. Prior
to that she was doing stoop labor all of her childhood. Dad dropped out
of the seventh grade when he was twelve due to his father having a heart
attack and Dad was the oldest of five kids at the time, two more came
along later. My folks pulled themselves out of poverty through hard work
and being self-sufficient. I don't worry to much about survival because
I am sure we can make it and we have taught our extended family that
they can make it.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, songbird
> wrote:

> so is this a way of starting to talk about
> what may be coming for the world? a way to have
> the conversation without really having it? an
> indirect way of talking about potentially tough
> or troubling things/times, but since we are
> talking about zombies it's not quite so scary
> and we can laugh a bit? the monsters are getting
> to look more and more like regular folks, getting
> closer to reality.

If you look at recent elections it could be argued that the zombies
have already won.

;-)

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes