Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default I see some familiar names!

Been away for a while, and thought I'd pop in and say hi. Nice to see
folks I recognize are still around.

There's usually not much preserving happening here in the frozen north
this time of year, but having started hunting this fall I have been
learning to make my own sausages, mixing venison and pork.

So far I've done snack sticks, jerky, breakfast sausages, Summer
sausage, and German sausage. The Summer and German sausages are the
best so far.

The trim scraps from the deer get dried as "dog jerky" and the mutts
love it.

I also cold-smoked venison tenderloin. SWMBO couldn't tell it from beef.

Next on my list is a garlic farmer's sausage.

And I'm going to try and fill an elk tag this month... Yum.

Dave

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Dave Balderstone wrote:

> Been away for a while, and thought I'd pop in and say hi. Nice to see
> folks I recognize are still around.
>
> There's usually not much preserving happening here in the frozen north
> this time of year, but having started hunting this fall I have been
> learning to make my own sausages, mixing venison and pork.
>
> So far I've done snack sticks, jerky, breakfast sausages, Summer
> sausage, and German sausage. The Summer and German sausages are the
> best so far.
>
> The trim scraps from the deer get dried as "dog jerky" and the mutts
> love it.
>
> I also cold-smoked venison tenderloin. SWMBO couldn't tell it from beef.
>
> Next on my list is a garlic farmer's sausage.
>
> And I'm going to try and fill an elk tag this month... Yum.

yeah, the winter months do keep things rather tame
around here too. we cooked a few more winter squash up
today and i have the seeds and innards drying. the
seeds i'll clean up a bit and the innards will get fed
to the worms.

dang if you don't have me drooling for a nice chunk of
smoked meat of almost any kind.

what is in garlic farmer's sausage? i have plenty of
garlic on hand.

good luck with the elk hunt,

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> Been away for a while, and thought I'd pop in and say hi. Nice to see
> folks I recognize are still around.
>
> There's usually not much preserving happening here in the frozen north
> this time of year, but having started hunting this fall I have been
> learning to make my own sausages, mixing venison and pork.
>
> So far I've done snack sticks, jerky, breakfast sausages, Summer
> sausage, and German sausage. The Summer and German sausages are the
> best so far.
>
> The trim scraps from the deer get dried as "dog jerky" and the mutts
> love it.
>
> I also cold-smoked venison tenderloin. SWMBO couldn't tell it from beef.
>
> Next on my list is a garlic farmer's sausage.
>
> And I'm going to try and fill an elk tag this month... Yum.
>
> Dave

Good to see you again Dave. Sounds like you're putting food by going
after it yourself.

I'm back home in Texas and have caught a few fish and my middle grandson
and I are planning some hunting trips for next fall, probably bow,
muzzle loading, and modern firearms too. No moose around here, just
white tail deer and maybe some exotics.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, songbird
> wrote:

> what is in garlic farmer's sausage? i have plenty of
> garlic on hand.

I'm ashamed to say I'm going to use a commercial mix... I'm not quite
at the point of mixing my own, but learning fast.

djb

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, George Shirley
> wrote:

> I'm back home in Texas and have caught a few fish and my middle grandson
> and I are planning some hunting trips for next fall, probably bow,
> muzzle loading, and modern firearms too. No moose around here, just
> white tail deer and maybe some exotics.

I'm hoping to do some ice fishing in the next couple of months... Pike,
walleye, perch... The burbot will be coming into the shallows to spawn
in a couple of weeks, and they is good eats. Ugly as a baboon's butt,
though.

Lots of moose in Saskatchewan, as well as mule and whitetail deer, and
elk. Wild boar are becoming a problem here too, and there are a few of
us talking about trying to get out and take a few (they're considered
vermin here, so it's open season, no tags required). Would love to try
making my own ham and bacon...

Spring goose season starts April 1, so will begin planning that son, as
well as possibly a spring bear hunt.

djb

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> In article >, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm back home in Texas and have caught a few fish and my middle grandson
>> and I are planning some hunting trips for next fall, probably bow,
>> muzzle loading, and modern firearms too. No moose around here, just
>> white tail deer and maybe some exotics.

> I'm hoping to do some ice fishing in the next couple of months... Pike,
> walleye, perch... The burbot will be coming into the shallows to spawn
> in a couple of weeks, and they is good eats. Ugly as a baboon's butt,
> though.
>
> Lots of moose in Saskatchewan, as well as mule and whitetail deer, and
> elk. Wild boar are becoming a problem here too, and there are a few of
> us talking about trying to get out and take a few (they're considered
> vermin here, so it's open season, no tags required). Would love to try
> making my own ham and bacon...
>
> Spring goose season starts April 1, so will begin planning that son, as
> well as possibly a spring bear hunt.
>
> djb

I've hunted both feral and ear-marked hogs most of my life. Still have
my own earmark registered in Texas, back from the days before livestock
laws and critters could roam. Usually pretty lean meat on the ferals but
they can get really fat if there is a good fall acorn crop. They will
eat acorns until they literally fall over.

I don't know about nowadays but when I was young we used to tan and sell
the hides and, on occasion you could get a really fine set of tusks off
a bag boar hog they would bring a pretty price for jewelry.

I'm not young enough anymore to run the woods on foot so probably will
use an ATV to hunt. Got a couple of healthy, very large, grandsons in
their early thirties to use as helpers.

Good Luck Dave.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2014-02-03 03:23:24 +0000, Dave Balderstone said:

> Been away for a while, and thought I'd pop in and say hi. Nice to see
> folks I recognize are still around.
>
> There's usually not much preserving happening here in the frozen north
> this time of year, but having started hunting this fall I have been
> learning to make my own sausages, mixing venison and pork.
>
> So far I've done snack sticks, jerky, breakfast sausages, Summer
> sausage, and German sausage. The Summer and German sausages are the
> best so far.
>
> The trim scraps from the deer get dried as "dog jerky" and the mutts
> love it.
>
> I also cold-smoked venison tenderloin. SWMBO couldn't tell it from beef.
>
> Next on my list is a garlic farmer's sausage.
>
> And I'm going to try and fill an elk tag this month... Yum.
>
> Dave

Long time no see, Dave.

--
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article <2014020517211719083-barbschaller@earthlinknet>, Melba's
Jammin' > wrote:

> Long time no see, Dave.

Yes, I think it's been a couple of years. How many ribbons have passed
your way since then, Barb?