Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Looks like fall, maybe!

Got up this morning to 66F and a nice breeze blowing out of the north.
Opened the doors and windows to let the summer funk from the AC running
since March. Air smells sweet as we received 4.5 inches of rain over the
past two days. The gardens are smiling too.

Fall pole beans are about three feet long now, the few remaining
cucumber plants are blooming and producing just enough cukes for one or
two each day. Squash are done, we've planted the fall leaf lettuce, some
crowder peas that are up and climbing, two cabbage plants are in and
another row of chard is up in mouse ears. Beets and carrots go in
tomorrow if it's not raining again and maybe if it is raining.

One of our grandsons helped me with installing the new range vent hood
this morning and it is nice to have the cook stove back in working
condition again. We're enjoying all the new appliances we bought to
replace the seven-year old builder junk that was in the kitchen. None of
the old stuff was wasted, old stove and dishwasher went to a young
couple fixing up an old house, the old fridge, a long time companion of
ours, has retired to being a "garage" fridge. Probably to hold some beer
and cold drinks. That one went to the helpful grandson, he says to hold
excess meat that won't fit in his big fridge. Ha! We were young once too.

George

Fall Foliage Brooklyn1 General Cooking 11 29-10-2014 04:04 AM
It's fall already George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 2 15-10-2014 04:34 PM
Fall is in the Air sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 27-09-2010 04:51 AM
Fall is in the Air aem General Cooking 2 27-09-2010 12:39 AM
Fall Q-Fest Big Jim Barbecue 110 07-08-2006 07:22 PM