Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default New plants

Hit one of the big and best nurseries in our area this morning. Visited
a good while with a retired ag agent and horticulture professor, he gave
me the answers I needed to purchase a good canning pear for this area
that is self fertile. In addition they had the dwarf Barbadoes cherry
plants I needed to replace the hedge by the front porch. Spent entirely
to much money for the four cherries and the pear tree but they are
guaranteed for the first year so it's not so bad.

The ex ag agent says the ten-foot tall pear tree will probably bear next
spring. The Barbadoes cherries are already in bloom and in fruit so I
have hopes for them too. The cherries are only about eighteen inches
tall and should not get bigger than four feet tall.

I'm doing my best not to anticipate bumper crops to can. <G>

I've been looking for those plants for nearly a year and, LO! there they
were, five miles from home.

George

what about the plants rights? [email protected] Vegan 14 19-11-2006 01:04 AM
what about the plants rights? Vegan 4 30-10-2006 02:54 PM
what about the plants rights? Vegan 2 27-10-2006 03:09 PM
what about the plants rights? Vegan 0 20-10-2006 07:32 PM
Good for Plants Ann Mclellan General Cooking 1 16-11-2003 12:23 PM