Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Instant dill pickle slices.

Well, almost instant.
A couple of days ago we made a 7 liter batch of fresh pack dills but
still had some cukes left. I wanted to use these cukes while still
nice and fresh but didn't want to run the canner for 1 or 2 jars.
I've used our vacuum sealer to quick marinate beef and chicken so I
started thinking why not dill pickles?
I put about 2-1/2 cups of our vinegar/water/salt liquid in a pot,
added two heads of fresh dill from the garden along with some mustard
seeds, 2 sliced garlic cloves and a large dried hot red pepper.
Brought it to a boil then simmered for a few minutes. Turned off the
heat, let it cool a bit then put it in the fridge to cool completely.
Fished the dill heads out of the cooled brine, put them into the
bottom of a vacuum canister, poured in about half the brine. Used a
"V" slicer to cut the extra cukes into ~1/4 inch slices. Added the
sliced cukes to the canister and topped it up with brine.
Put on the lid and used the 20 minute marinate setting on the sealer.
When it finished I was amazed at how much dill flavour had been
infused and how good the slices tasted, super crunchy too.
It's now been two days since I did the experiment and I could sit and
eat a lot of these just on their own.
I know they can't be stored on the pantry shelf but as refrigerator
pickles they are great. Probably make more before the cukes are over
but with our lack of rain that'll be way too soon.
If you have a vacuum sealer, accompanying canister(s) and a few spare
fresh picked cukes, it's worth a try, IMO anyway.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/26/2013 3:51 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> Well, almost instant.
> A couple of days ago we made a 7 liter batch of fresh pack dills but
> still had some cukes left. I wanted to use these cukes while still
> nice and fresh but didn't want to run the canner for 1 or 2 jars.
> I've used our vacuum sealer to quick marinate beef and chicken so I
> started thinking why not dill pickles?
> I put about 2-1/2 cups of our vinegar/water/salt liquid in a pot,
> added two heads of fresh dill from the garden along with some mustard
> seeds, 2 sliced garlic cloves and a large dried hot red pepper.
> Brought it to a boil then simmered for a few minutes. Turned off the
> heat, let it cool a bit then put it in the fridge to cool completely.
> Fished the dill heads out of the cooled brine, put them into the
> bottom of a vacuum canister, poured in about half the brine. Used a
> "V" slicer to cut the extra cukes into ~1/4 inch slices. Added the
> sliced cukes to the canister and topped it up with brine.
> Put on the lid and used the 20 minute marinate setting on the sealer.
> When it finished I was amazed at how much dill flavour had been
> infused and how good the slices tasted, super crunchy too.
> It's now been two days since I did the experiment and I could sit and
> eat a lot of these just on their own.
> I know they can't be stored on the pantry shelf but as refrigerator
> pickles they are great. Probably make more before the cukes are over
> but with our lack of rain that'll be way too soon.
> If you have a vacuum sealer, accompanying canister(s) and a few spare
> fresh picked cukes, it's worth a try, IMO anyway.
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

Got ever thing but the cukes and there are some coming on soon. Might
try that one Ross, I do like fresh pickles and this would be the way to
do them without having to wait a week.

We received a little Blessing today, about a quarter inch of rain fell
this morning. The gardens really perked up and there is hope of more
rain the remainder of this week.

We've been busy "sealing" the grout in the new tile floors. Mostly got
all of them with the first coat yesterday and today we will have the
second coat on all but the art room. We will have to move some stuff
around to do that busy room. I've been doing so much squatting and
kneeling that my thighs are really sore as is my behind. Doing more of
the same today seems to help along with Biofreeze on everything
yesterday and the use of the TENS unit last evening. That's what happens
when old people just lay around and eat bonbons and drink George Dickel
on the rocks.

George