Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Victorio VKP 1130 Stainless Steel multi use canner

Any of you ever use or buy one of these canners. Looks very good and
rugged with lots of positive reviews. Been looking at them for a good
while and really getting tired of my old aluminum canners with the rusty
racks.

If you have one is the rack actually stainless steel?

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/22/2013 11:56 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> Any of you ever use or buy one of these canners. Looks very good and
> rugged with lots of positive reviews. Been looking at them for a good
> while and really getting tired of my old aluminum canners with the rusty
> racks.
>
> If you have one is the rack actually stainless steel?
>
> George

Amazon says the canner and rack are stainless:

http://tinyurl.com/n35qj9j

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:56:12 -0500, George Shirley >
wrote:

>Any of you ever use or buy one of these canners. Looks very good and
>rugged with lots of positive reviews. Been looking at them for a good
>while and really getting tired of my old aluminum canners with the rusty
>racks.
>
>If you have one is the rack actually stainless steel?
>
>George

Hi George,

Do you have a 12 inch stockpot?
We don't have one of those Victorio canners but, since we got rid of
the old enameled one with the rusty rack we've been using one of our
12 inch stainless stock pots and a stainless rack we got at Lee Valley
Tools.
Works like a charm, you just use your jar lifter to put the jars in
and get them out.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2120,33279
Even when we had the flimsy wire rack I never tried lifting jars out
with those stupid hook-over-the-edge handles.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, Ross@home
wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:56:12 -0500, George Shirley >
> wrote:
>
> >Any of you ever use or buy one of these canners. Looks very good and
> >rugged with lots of positive reviews. Been looking at them for a good
> >while and really getting tired of my old aluminum canners with the rusty
> >racks.
> >
> >If you have one is the rack actually stainless steel?
> >
> >George

> Hi George,
>
> Do you have a 12 inch stockpot?
> We don't have one of those Victorio canners but, since we got rid of
> the old enameled one with the rusty rack we've been using one of our
> 12 inch stainless stock pots and a stainless rack we got at Lee Valley
> Tools.
> Works like a charm, you just use your jar lifter to put the jars in
> and get them out.
> http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2120,33279
> Even when we had the flimsy wire rack I never tried lifting jars out
> with those stupid hook-over-the-edge handles.
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

Nice rack, Ross. :-) If it were 9" diameter, I'd get one. I have
other round racks I use, one an adapted cake-cooling rack, one a mesh
pizza-baking sheet. I cant find a cake rack like the one I have -- I
had two at one time and I haven't seen it in years. I like it because
it is reinforced in 6 places from the center to the perimeter--very
sturdy!
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 21:55:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, Ross@home
>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:56:12 -0500, George Shirley >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Any of you ever use or buy one of these canners. Looks very good and
>> >rugged with lots of positive reviews. Been looking at them for a good
>> >while and really getting tired of my old aluminum canners with the rusty
>> >racks.
>> >
>> >If you have one is the rack actually stainless steel?
>> >
>> >George

>> Hi George,
>>
>> Do you have a 12 inch stockpot?
>> We don't have one of those Victorio canners but, since we got rid of
>> the old enameled one with the rusty rack we've been using one of our
>> 12 inch stainless stock pots and a stainless rack we got at Lee Valley
>> Tools.
>> Works like a charm, you just use your jar lifter to put the jars in
>> and get them out.
>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2120,33279
>> Even when we had the flimsy wire rack I never tried lifting jars out
>> with those stupid hook-over-the-edge handles.
>>
>> Ross.
>> Southern Ontario, Canada

>Nice rack, Ross. :-) If it were 9" diameter, I'd get one. I have
>other round racks I use, one an adapted cake-cooling rack, one a mesh
>pizza-baking sheet. I cant find a cake rack like the one I have -- I
>had two at one time and I haven't seen it in years. I like it because
>it is reinforced in 6 places from the center to the perimeter--very
>sturdy!

I too wish it were smaller. I am using an old pressure cooking rack
in my 12 quart pot.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/22/2013 4:12 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:56:12 -0500, George Shirley >
> wrote:
>
>> Any of you ever use or buy one of these canners. Looks very good and
>> rugged with lots of positive reviews. Been looking at them for a good
>> while and really getting tired of my old aluminum canners with the rusty
>> racks.
>>
>> If you have one is the rack actually stainless steel?
>>
>> George

> Hi George,
>
> Do you have a 12 inch stockpot?
> We don't have one of those Victorio canners but, since we got rid of
> the old enameled one with the rusty rack we've been using one of our
> 12 inch stainless stock pots and a stainless rack we got at Lee Valley
> Tools.
> Works like a charm, you just use your jar lifter to put the jars in
> and get them out.
> http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2120,33279
> Even when we had the flimsy wire rack I never tried lifting jars out
> with those stupid hook-over-the-edge handles.
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

Yup, got two of those, an aluminum BWB canner (holds seven pints or
quarts), a large pressure canner that holds about the same and can be
used as a BWB if needed. I'm just tired of replacing the racks that are
just chromed common steel every few years. I've got someone working on
building a stainless rack to my specifications also have him working on
a somewhat longer Grip-Tite style jar lifter.

I was just wondering if anyone had used one. The cheap twelve inch
stainless stock pots generally have the handles pop riveted on and they
tend to leak at the rivets. I can only do pints or less in mine without
water running out onto the stove.

I used to use the racks to lift out a full set of jars but, as I age,
I'm finding that old muscles don't do well with seven quart jars full of
anything so I use the jar lifter too. Sometimes I use the rack to put
the jars in the canner but not often.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/24/2013 9:55 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, Ross@home
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:56:12 -0500, George Shirley >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Any of you ever use or buy one of these canners. Looks very good and
>>> rugged with lots of positive reviews. Been looking at them for a good
>>> while and really getting tired of my old aluminum canners with the rusty
>>> racks.
>>>
>>> If you have one is the rack actually stainless steel?
>>>
>>> George

>> Hi George,
>>
>> Do you have a 12 inch stockpot?
>> We don't have one of those Victorio canners but, since we got rid of
>> the old enameled one with the rusty rack we've been using one of our
>> 12 inch stainless stock pots and a stainless rack we got at Lee Valley
>> Tools.
>> Works like a charm, you just use your jar lifter to put the jars in
>> and get them out.
>> http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...t=2,2120,33279
>> Even when we had the flimsy wire rack I never tried lifting jars out
>> with those stupid hook-over-the-edge handles.
>>
>> Ross.
>> Southern Ontario, Canada

> Nice rack, Ross. :-) If it were 9" diameter, I'd get one. I have
> other round racks I use, one an adapted cake-cooling rack, one a mesh
> pizza-baking sheet. I cant find a cake rack like the one I have -- I
> had two at one time and I haven't seen it in years. I like it because
> it is reinforced in 6 places from the center to the perimeter--very
> sturdy!

I've got three or four stainless racks varying from 6" to 10", mostly
from defunct rice cookers or something similar and the big one I found
at a church sale. Don't forget to go to church sales near you. Several
years ago I bought several boxes of genuine canning jars, from half
pints through quarts. 10 cents each for quarts, 5 cents each for the
others. Only had to cull three or four mayo jars out. I also have a good
many 26-ounce Classico genuine fruit jars, friends who don't make their
own sauce saved them for me. Unfortunately Classico went the route of
the commercial lids so I don't get them anymore.

I found that the Kary's Dry Roux, fat and salt free jars are also
genuine canning jars. Lids match and they come from the store with a
plastic lid that also fits. Like the Ball plastic lids. You Northern
folks may or may not be able to find them, it's made in Ville Platte,
LA. Beats spending time making my own roux.

George