FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Pickle Crisp and Fermented pickles (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/424498-pickle-crisp-fermented-pickles.html)

Mark Curry 18-06-2013 09:49 PM

Pickle Crisp and Fermented pickles

Hi all - regular lurker here with a question.

Last year took I took a dive into making various pickles with mostly
success. Dilled Carrots, Olive Oil Pickles, and a few quick pickles
were a great hit.

The Half-Sours that I tried tasted ok, but were mushy.
Most are still sitting in the fridge waiting some kind of
use as a relish or chutney, where the texture won't be noticed.

Found out about Pickle Crisp in this newsgroup, and want to
give it a try. I'm not sure on the use for fermented pickles
however - should I add the Pickle Crisp before fermentation or
after? It's just another salt, so I think it shouldn't affect
the fermentation too much. The package doesn't help much.
Most of the recipes I'm using are from The Joy of Pickling
by Linda Ziedrich

Looking for suggestions from the more experienced folks here.

The garden just gave us about 5 lbs of cukes - kids can only
eat soo many fresh. There's a few quarts worth ready to go...

Thanks,

Mark

George Shirley[_3_] 19-06-2013 03:18 AM

On 6/18/2013 3:49 PM, Mark Curry wrote:
[...]

Fermented pickles don't do well at all with Pickle Crisp Mark, PC is
primarily for making fresh pickles and, even then, they need to sit in a
dark place for a few weeks in order to be crisp.

Found out about Pickle Crisp in this newsgroup, and want to
give it a try. I'm not sure on the use for fermented pickles
however - should I add the Pickle Crisp before fermentation or
after? It's just another salt, so I think it shouldn't affect
the fermentation too much. The package doesn't help much.
Most of the recipes I'm using are from The Joy of Pickling
by Linda Ziedrich

Pickle Crisp is calcium chloride and, if I remember correctly, is made
by treating limestone, in the instance I'm aware of it was Texas caliche
rock, of which we Texans have a lot of. Primary use for calcium chloride
is for road "salt." A road salt that doesn't rust your car out. Jarden
(Ball) dropped the PC for awhile but brought it back in a more efficient
form, larger pieces.

Looking for suggestions from the more experienced folks here.

The garden just gave us about 5 lbs of cukes - kids can only
eat soo many fresh. There's a few quarts worth ready to go...

Thanks,

Mark

Best advice I can give you for fermented pickles is to keep them in ice
water, very near freezing for a lengthy time and then ferment them. Lots
of recipes for fermented pickles on the web and how to keep them crisp.
Hope this helps.

George

Mark Curry 19-06-2013 04:12 PM

Pickle Crisp and Fermented pickles

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:
On 6/18/2013 3:49 PM, Mark Curry wrote:
Hi all - regular lurker here with a question.

Last year took I took a dive into making various pickles with mostly
success. Dilled Carrots, Olive Oil Pickles, and a few quick pickles
were a great hit.

The Half-Sours that I tried tasted ok, but were mushy.
Most are still sitting in the fridge waiting some kind of
use as a relish or chutney, where the texture won't be noticed.

Fermented pickles don't do well at all with Pickle Crisp Mark, PC is
primarily for making fresh pickles and, even then, they need to sit in a
dark place for a few weeks in order to be crisp.

snip
Best advice I can give you for fermented pickles is to keep them in ice
water, very near freezing for a lengthy time and then ferment them. Lots
of recipes for fermented pickles on the web and how to keep them crisp.
Hope this helps.

Thanks - this sort of advice is exactly what I was looking for. Putting them
up tonight, will let everyone know in a few weeks how things turn out.

--Mark

George Shirley[_3_] 23-06-2013 08:31 PM

[...]

I thought I had sent this earlier but never saw it show up.

Wilson[_6_] 26-06-2013 09:52 PM

OT Pickle Crisp and Fermented pickles

On 06/23/13 3:31 PM, sometime in the recent past George Shirley posted this:
[...]

George, I think your comment that calcium chloride doesn't rust your car out
is in error. Here in the northeast they have been using it as a liquid
slurry to treat the roads before snow or icing can be packed down by
traffic. The result is a lot of premature break-lines rusting out and other
forms of accelerated rusting even greater than NaCl - regular salt. Just
saying :)

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3

George Shirley[_3_] 27-06-2013 12:53 AM

On 6/26/2013 3:52 PM, Wilson wrote:
[...]

You could be right Wilson, I did some work for a client in Louisiana a
number of years ago who made the "road salt" and I got the info from
them. Fortunately, this far south we've had no need for salting the
roads. Did experience that when I was in the Navy fifty-five years ago
and was stationed in the NE US. Sure rusted out my 1953 Ford flat head
eight cylinder. Haven't researched it since. Lots of caliche in Texas,
most goes for gravel the rest for road salt and Pickle Crisp I guess.

Dukalin 12-07-2013 08:28 AM

Pickle Crisp and Fermented pickles

watch the whole movie of White House Down, 'Where To Buy White House
Down The Film' (http://tinyurl.com/m576sok), Download Divx White House
Down Full Lenght, download divx White House Down full lenght.
Download The Bling Ring The Film Online, 'Legal The Bling Ring Movie
Download' (http://tinyurl.com/kxu3bd3), The The Bling Ring Film, Where
Can Buy A The Bling Ring.

Fast & Furious 6 movie full hd, 'I Want To Watch The Full Movie Of Fast
& Furious 6 online' (http://tinyurl.com/lq73yly), Fast & Furious 6 Movie
Full Movie, Download Divx Fast & Furious 6 Movie.
World War Z Film Hd Download, 'Hd Quality World War Z Watch'
(http://tinyurl.com/n87zb2b), Download World War Z Movies, World War Z
movies.

--
Dukalin
Dukalin's Profile: http://www.cookingjunkies.com/member.php?userid=44965

[email protected] 22-04-2019 06:28 PM

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 at 4:49:07 PM UTC-4, Mark Curry wrote:
[...]

Hi Mark,

My grandmother soaked her cucumbers (and other veg) overnight in a picklecrisp solution (not sure what the ratio was). Then she rinsed them off and put them in fermenting crocks with regular salt, spices, garlic and dill. They came out real crisp and she didn't have to cut the blossom end off either..

notbob[_7_] 23-04-2019 05:16 PM

On 4/22/2019 11:28 AM, wrote:

Hi Mark,

My grandmother soaked her cucumbers (and other veg) overnight in a picklecrisp solution (not sure what the ratio was).

I've never heard of it!

As a newbie, here, I need all the info I can get fer this Summer's crop.
What is a "picklecrisp solution"? ;)

nb

songbird 23-04-2019 11:08 PM

notbob wrote:
On 4/22/2019 11:28 AM, wrote:

Hi Mark,

My grandmother soaked her cucumbers (and other veg) overnight in a picklecrisp solution (not sure what the ratio was).

I've never heard of it!

As a newbie, here, I need all the info I can get fer this Summer's crop.
What is a "picklecrisp solution"? ;)

https://www.freshpreserving.com/ball...1034061VM.html

not sure what kathkwilts is referencing if
not this.

songbird

notbob[_7_] 24-04-2019 03:16 PM

On 4/23/2019 4:08 PM, songbird wrote:

https://www.freshpreserving.com/ball...1034061VM.html

not sure what kathkwilts is referencing if
not this.

Thank for the link, sb. I didn't realize it was a commercial product.

I'll check it out. Again, thank you. ;)

nb

Randal Oulton 24-04-2019 03:26 PM

Pickle Crisp is a commercial name for what is also a generic product, calcium chloride (food grade.) Full info is he https://www.healthycanning.com/calcium-chloride/

notbob[_7_] 24-04-2019 04:47 PM

On 4/24/2019 8:26 AM, Randal Oulton wrote:

Pickle Crisp is a commercial name for what is also a generic product, calcium chloride (food grade.) Full info is he https://www.healthycanning.com/calcium-chloride/

Thnx, Randal.

I didn't know there was a generic brand, but that's cuz I've yet to
research it.

Again, thnx fer doing the work for me. ;)

nb

songbird 25-04-2019 12:28 PM

Randal Oulton wrote:
Pickle Crisp is a commercial name for what is also a generic product, calcium chloride (food grade.) Full info is he https://www.healthycanning.com/calcium-chloride/

it would seem rather strange to me to call a calcium
chloride solution by the name pickle crisp if i were
actually meaning to use the generic chemical food grade
version. but that's just me. :)

hope the pickles work out. we usually put up about
100 quarts a year of simple dill pickles. my brother
said that he wants more dill in them. no problem. i
love dill. actually part of the reason some of it may
be lacking is that i sometimes eat it as i'm making
pickles. oops... we'll put in a few more plants this
year - they're not hard to grow.

songbird

notbob[_7_] 25-04-2019 01:53 PM

On 4/25/2019 5:28 AM, songbird wrote:

it would seem rather strange to me to call a calcium
chloride solution by the name pickle crisp if i were
actually meaning to use the generic chemical food grade
version.

Using a name of "Pickle Crisp" is a no-brainer fer someone. I mean, why
NOT re-name an existing item for profit. It's the American Way. ;)

nb