Old 26-04-2019, 03:49 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pickle Crisp and Fermented pickles

On Thursday, 25 April 2019 08:54:03 UTC-4, notbob wrote:
On 4/25/2019 5:28 AM, songbird wrote:

it would seem rather strange to me to call a calcium
chloride solution by the name pickle crisp if i were
actually meaning to use the generic chemical food grade
version.

Using a name of "Pickle Crisp" is a no-brainer fer someone. I mean, why
NOT re-name an existing item for profit. It's the American Way.

nb

Yes, imagine renaming something generic and trying to sell it to people for ten times the price, next thing you know they'll be trying to bottle water and do the same -- lol.

Old 27-04-2019, 04:43 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

My mother used lime in her pickles. She'd stopped making pickles by
the time I was old enough to be useful, so the only way I know this is
from a story she told about the first pickle season after she got
married. She went to -- I think it was a hardware store -- and asked
for a quarter's worth of lime. The clerk said "lady, you couldn't
*lift* a quarter's worth of lime," and gave her enough to make
pickles.

For reference, more than twenty years after that incident, fountain
drinks, candy bars, and ice-cream cones were five cents each. And if
I had a whole dime, I could have a funny book.

Pickle Crisp ads suggest strongly that liming was a prolonged and
laborious procedure.

When I make bread-and-butter pickles I put a pinch in the bottom of
each jar and they come out crisp. But I haven't tried it without the
calcium chloride. They also came out crisp when Mom made them, and
her recipe doesn't say a word about lime. But one does have to be
very careful not to let the vegetables boil. Also helps if the
cucumbers were picked soon enough and haven't developed seeds.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old 27-04-2019, 12:27 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Joy Beeson wrote:
When I make bread-and-butter pickles I put a pinch in the bottom of
each jar and they come out crisp. But I haven't tried it without the
calcium chloride. They also came out crisp when Mom made them, and
her recipe doesn't say a word about lime. But one does have to be
very careful not to let the vegetables boil. Also helps if the
cucumbers were picked soon enough and haven't developed seeds.

we've never limed any of our pickles and they
are fine if eaten within a year (almost all of
them are). after a year it can get iffy especially
if you use different kinds of cucumbers. some of
the kinds for fresh eating just turned to mush.

we've never used PC or the generic version.

my prep is to put the dill in the bottom of the
jar, pack the jar full of slices/spears and whatever
chunks i may have left to fit in there. when i have
all the jars done i fill them with water and dump
that water in the pot. this way i do not have to
waste much if any brine because i know how much i
need to make.

then i make the brine and bring it to a boil but
i don't cook the cucumbers at all, just dump the
brine in the jars, wipe the rim and put a lid on
and then process as quick as possible to get them
sealed. the lids are warmed up in some hot water
first.

songbird
Old 27-04-2019, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

On 4/27/2019 5:27 AM, songbird wrote:

then i make the brine and bring it to a boil but
i don't cook the cucumbers at all, just dump the
brine in the jars, wipe the rim and put a lid on
and then process as quick as possible to get them
sealed. the lids are warmed up in some hot water
first.

Kinda agree. I don't always know what is normal, so don't argue much on
this subject.

I DO know that Claussen Dills go "soggy" if I buy the "1/4 cut
(lengthwise)" spears. I now only buy the "Whole" dill pickles. Izzat
part of the problem? Whole versus cut?

nb
Old 28-04-2019, 12:04 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 07:27:32 -0400, songbird
wrote:

then i make the brine and bring it to a boil but
i don't cook the cucumbers at all, just dump the
brine in the jars, wipe the rim and put a lid on
and then process as quick as possible to get them
sealed. the lids are warmed up in some hot water
first.

I never "process" a pickle. Processing is cooking.

I pour boiling syrup over the vegetables in the jar and seal at once.
Since we make very few pickles and have lots of refrigerator space, I
store them chilled, but Mom kept hers in the cellar and never had any
spoil.

I've never attempted a fermented pickle. That was the kind Mom made
most; I once heard her complain to another mother that she couldn't
fob off store-bought pickles on her children. I think she gave it up
in the late forties, though.

The recipe for fermented pickles wasn't in the hand-written book she
left us; I think that that was just something everybody knew. All I
remember of the procedure was that it called for big stone crocks and
brine strong enough to float an egg. Since we had our own hens, that
would have been a new-laid egg. And she put a grape leaf in to make
them crisp.