FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Treasure Found! (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/423812-treasure-found.html)

Melba's Jammin' 23-04-2013 05:33 PM

Treasure Found!

Today I struck gold.

Going through some old canning books, I found Mom's recipe for bread and
butter pickles.

Written in her own hand.

It's the recipe that has won nine blue ribbons (and six of other colors)
for me at the Minnesota State Fair. Handwritten! I can tell that she
copied it from something - the spelling and punctuation were correct.
(Usually when she wrote, the first word began with a capital letter and
the document ended with a period. In between, you were on your own.)
Vi?naja pamjat', Matka.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

George Shirley[_3_] 23-04-2013 07:18 PM

Treasure Found!

On 4/23/2013 11:33 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Today I struck gold.
>
> Going through some old canning books, I found Mom's recipe for bread and
> butter pickles.
>
> Written in her own hand.
>
> It's the recipe that has won nine blue ribbons (and six of other colors)
> for me at the Minnesota State Fair. Handwritten! I can tell that she
> copied it from something - the spelling and punctuation were correct.
> (Usually when she wrote, the first word began with a capital letter and
> the document ended with a period. In between, you were on your own.)
> Vi?naja pamjat', Matka.

It's always great to find an heirloom recipe. My mother and yours must
have had a connection, Mom's spelling was, at best, a wild guess and she
didn't know what punctuation was.

What's the language, looks Finnish?

George, resting up from a strenuous trip to the supermarket. Oy vey! the
prices nowadays.

Moe DeLoughan 24-04-2013 03:00 PM

Treasure Found!

On 4/23/2013 11:33 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Today I struck gold.
>
> Going through some old canning books, I found Mom's recipe for bread and
> butter pickles.
>
> Written in her own hand.
>
> It's the recipe that has won nine blue ribbons (and six of other colors)
> for me at the Minnesota State Fair. Handwritten! I can tell that she
> copied it from something - the spelling and punctuation were correct.
> (Usually when she wrote, the first word began with a capital letter and
> the document ended with a period. In between, you were on your own.)
> Vi?naja pamjat', Matka.

I had a recipe treasure find a few years ago. My favorite cookies are
salted peanut cookies, a treat from my childhood. I have the recipe
as written down by my mom (and I've tweaked it a bit), but to my joy I
found inside mom's old recipe box the original recipe clipped from the
Pioneer Press newspaper column. I discovered the original recipe
included cornflakes, which mom never bothered with.

Melba's Jammin' 29-04-2013 11:30 PM

Treasure Found!

In article >,
Moe DeLoughan > wrote:

Great nickname. :-)

Moe DeLoughan 02-05-2013 08:05 PM

Treasure Found!

On 4/29/2013 5:30 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Moe DeLoughan > wrote:
>
> Great nickname. :-)

So far, you're the only one who caught it.

zxcvbob 08-05-2013 03:03 AM

Treasure Found!

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Today I struck gold.
>
> Going through some old canning books, I found Mom's recipe for bread and
> butter pickles.
>
> Written in her own hand.
>
> It's the recipe that has won nine blue ribbons (and six of other colors)
> for me at the Minnesota State Fair. Handwritten! I can tell that she
> copied it from something - the spelling and punctuation were correct.
> (Usually when she wrote, the first word began with a capital letter and
> the document ended with a period. In between, you were on your own.)
> Vi?naja pamjat', Matka.

That's pretty cool. I should write out some of my favorite recipes by
hand for my daughter to find someday. (a computer printout just isn't
the same)

Bob

Melba's Jammin' 10-05-2013 06:11 PM

Treasure Found!

In article >,
Moe DeLoughan > wrote:

> On 4/29/2013 5:30 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Moe DeLoughan > wrote:
> >
> > Great nickname. :-)
> >

> So far, you're the only one who caught it.

Or the only one who has remarked about it. :-)