Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Dilly beans

As I had mentioned previously, with the few decent rains we've had
over the last couple of weeks, the beans have really showed their
appreciation for the moisture. We've blanched, vac-packed and frozen
quite a few.
The green and yellow beans Gerry picked earlier today we've now
transformed into twelve 500ml jars of dilly beans with enough nice
beans left for a side dish with the pecan crusted haddock I'm doing
for supper tonight.
Everything that went into the dilly beans except the vinegar was
produced here on the property including beans, garlic, dill, hot
peppers and water (we have our own well).
Life is good.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/7/2012 5:04 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> As I had mentioned previously, with the few decent rains we've had
> over the last couple of weeks, the beans have really showed their
> appreciation for the moisture. We've blanched, vac-packed and frozen
> quite a few.
> The green and yellow beans Gerry picked earlier today we've now
> transformed into twelve 500ml jars of dilly beans with enough nice
> beans left for a side dish with the pecan crusted haddock I'm doing
> for supper tonight.
> Everything that went into the dilly beans except the vinegar was
> produced here on the property including beans, garlic, dill, hot
> peppers and water (we have our own well).
> Life is good.
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

And you can enjoy those beans all winter, both frozen and pickled. It
always reminds me of the fun we had growing, picking, and then
preserving those beans.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ross@home wrote:

> As I had mentioned previously, with the few decent rains we've had
> over the last couple of weeks, the beans have really showed their
> appreciation for the moisture. We've blanched, vac-packed and frozen
> quite a few.
> The green and yellow beans Gerry picked earlier today we've now
> transformed into twelve 500ml jars of dilly beans with enough nice
> beans left for a side dish with the pecan crusted haddock I'm doing
> for supper tonight.
> Everything that went into the dilly beans except the vinegar was
> produced here on the property including beans, garlic, dill, hot
> peppers and water (we have our own well).
> Life is good.

and more rain is on the way.

i need more dry and sunny weather here
for a few more weeks. my dry beans are
coming along and i want to get them picked
before they sprout in the pods. i picked
buckets of them the past three days in
between bouts of rain. some sunshine
yesterday helped. been shelling what i
can to make more space in the trays to dry
more pods.

that all said...

yes, it's great to have most of the
ingredients grown here too for the salsa
we've been putting up. the tomatoes this
year have not been great so they are best
used with something else.

we need a new roof. ugh. but yes, life
is good here too.

songbird

Dilly beans George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 7 26-06-2012 05:08 PM
Dilly beans Ross@home Preserving 1 06-08-2011 02:42 PM
Dilly beans George Shirley Preserving 14 01-03-2010 03:31 PM
Dilly beans Dwayne Preserving 15 25-07-2004 05:19 PM
Dilly Beans Wayne Boatwright Preserving 2 23-02-2004 12:44 AM