Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default The OLD Kraft Sour Cherry jelly recipe

Lost in the flood craze last summer was our reference for making
chokecherry jelly.

Figured no sweat, we'd just go to Kraft's website and find the Certo
recipe for Sour Cherry jelly.

It's changed.

The old one didn't have water or almond extract. Think worst comes to
worst we can get pretty close, but sure would like to get a copy of the
old version as it has worked for as long as we've done this.

Thanks

Mark
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:11:47 -0500, pheasant16 >
wrote:

>Lost in the flood craze last summer was our reference for making
>chokecherry jelly.
>
>Figured no sweat, we'd just go to Kraft's website and find the Certo
>recipe for Sour Cherry jelly.
>
>It's changed.
>
>The old one didn't have water or almond extract. Think worst comes to
>worst we can get pretty close, but sure would like to get a copy of the
>old version as it has worked for as long as we've done this.
>
>Thanks
>
>Mark

Is 1993 old enough? I have managed to keep some of the old ones
because I like the way they work better that some of the new ones.

Cherry (Sour) 3 1/2 lbs
Remove stems, pit and finely chop. Place in saucepan; add 1/2 cup
water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat: cover and simmer 10 minutes.

3 1/2 cups juice
7 cups sugar
2 pouches CERTO Liquid Fruit Pectin

I assume you know the rest of the drill.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/30/2012 8:11 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
> Lost in the flood craze last summer was our reference for making
> chokecherry jelly.
>
> Figured no sweat, we'd just go to Kraft's website and find the Certo
> recipe for Sour Cherry jelly.
>
> It's changed.
>
> The old one didn't have water or almond extract. Think worst comes to
> worst we can get pretty close, but sure would like to get a copy of the
> old version as it has worked for as long as we've done this.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

I suspect you can probably find the old recipe by Googling for it Mark.
Lots of folks use the older recipes and are prone to post them if
they're proud of their jellies. I noticed several said to be from Kraft
that didn't use almond extract but most used at least one cup of water.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:11:47 -0500, pheasant16 >
> wrote:
>
>> Lost in the flood craze last summer was our reference for making
>> chokecherry jelly.
>>
>> Figured no sweat, we'd just go to Kraft's website and find the Certo
>> recipe for Sour Cherry jelly.
>>
>> It's changed.
>>
>> The old one didn't have water or almond extract. Think worst comes to
>> worst we can get pretty close, but sure would like to get a copy of the
>> old version as it has worked for as long as we've done this.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mark

> Is 1993 old enough? I have managed to keep some of the old ones
> because I like the way they work better that some of the new ones.
>
> Cherry (Sour) 3 1/2 lbs
> Remove stems, pit and finely chop. Place in saucepan; add 1/2 cup
> water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat: cover and simmer 10 minutes.
>
> 3 1/2 cups juice
> 7 cups sugar
> 2 pouches CERTO Liquid Fruit Pectin
>
> I assume you know the rest of the drill.

BINGO!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!

That's what I remembered, but with advancing years, the memory isn't as
sharp as 30 years ago.

Found something on Kraft Canada that was similar too; 3c juice and 4
1/2c sugar. We may have to try it if we have any juice left.

Thanks again!

Mark
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> On 7/30/2012 8:11 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
>> Lost in the flood craze last summer was our reference for making
>> chokecherry jelly.
>>
>> Figured no sweat, we'd just go to Kraft's website and find the Certo
>> recipe for Sour Cherry jelly.
>>
>> It's changed.
>>
>> The old one didn't have water or almond extract. Think worst comes to
>> worst we can get pretty close, but sure would like to get a copy of the
>> old version as it has worked for as long as we've done this.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mark

> I suspect you can probably find the old recipe by Googling for it Mark.
> Lots of folks use the older recipes and are prone to post them if
> they're proud of their jellies. I noticed several said to be from Kraft
> that didn't use almond extract but most used at least one cup of water.

Mebbe that's why the farmers where I hunt look forward to mine; no apple
juice, pear juice or water. Have been told many times that's the one
treat they hope never stops coming.

Knew a gal that traveled the craft fair circuit, and paid for their
wintering in AZ with jelly. She said hers was 50% apple juice, and it
still sold well. Tried it; didn't like it. Truth in advertising? LOL

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/30/2012 11:13 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> On 7/30/2012 8:11 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
>>> Lost in the flood craze last summer was our reference for making
>>> chokecherry jelly.
>>>
>>> Figured no sweat, we'd just go to Kraft's website and find the Certo
>>> recipe for Sour Cherry jelly.
>>>
>>> It's changed.
>>>
>>> The old one didn't have water or almond extract. Think worst comes to
>>> worst we can get pretty close, but sure would like to get a copy of the
>>> old version as it has worked for as long as we've done this.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Mark

>> I suspect you can probably find the old recipe by Googling for it
>> Mark. Lots of folks use the older recipes and are prone to post them
>> if they're proud of their jellies. I noticed several said to be from
>> Kraft that didn't use almond extract but most used at least one cup of
>> water.

> Mebbe that's why the farmers where I hunt look forward to mine; no apple
> juice, pear juice or water. Have been told many times that's the one
> treat they hope never stops coming.
>
> Knew a gal that traveled the craft fair circuit, and paid for their
> wintering in AZ with jelly. She said hers was 50% apple juice, and it
> still sold well. Tried it; didn't like it. Truth in advertising? LOL

We have a lot of "artisans fairs" around here, lots of the jelly sold is
fifty percent water from the looks of it. I seldom buy jelly since we
make lots of our own. Never had chokecherry jelly but used to make
elderberry jelly. IMHO elderberry is best used to make wine. Hic!

Some folks will just buy homemade jelly because it is homemade. The
better sales people at the fairs around here will give you a bite on a
cracker or a wooden spoon, just so you know what it tastes like before
you spend from $5 to $8 for a half pint of whatever jelly.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

>Lost in the flood craze last summer was our reference for making
>chokecherry jelly.
>
>Figured no sweat, we'd just go to Kraft's website and find the Certo
>recipe for Sour Cherry jelly.

In my world, Choke cherries and Sour Cherries are a world apart.

The recipe for chokecherry jelly on this page seems like what I made
years ago-- It uses no pectin.
http://www.homefamily.net/?p=37

There is a picture on the top of the page that shows chokecherries as
I know them.

Sour cherries are much larger, hang one or two together-- and are one
tenth the tartness of chokecherries.

>It's changed.
>
>The old one didn't have water or almond extract. Think worst comes to
>worst we can get pretty close, but sure would like to get a copy of the
>old version as it has worked for as long as we've done this.

I suspect that the recipe I made in 75 or so was from Mother Earth
News, Putting Food By, or one of the Foxfire books.

I know there was no pectin involved.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/30/2012 5:00 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:11:47 -0500, pheasant16 >
> wrote:
>
>> Lost in the flood craze last summer was our reference for making
>> chokecherry jelly.
>>
>> Figured no sweat, we'd just go to Kraft's website and find the Certo
>> recipe for Sour Cherry jelly.

> In my world, Choke cherries and Sour Cherries are a world apart.
>
> The recipe for chokecherry jelly on this page seems like what I made
> years ago-- It uses no pectin.
> http://www.homefamily.net/?p=37
>
> There is a picture on the top of the page that shows chokecherries as
> I know them.
>
> Sour cherries are much larger, hang one or two together-- and are one
> tenth the tartness of chokecherries.
>

>> It's changed.
>>
>> The old one didn't have water or almond extract. Think worst comes to
>> worst we can get pretty close, but sure would like to get a copy of the
>> old version as it has worked for as long as we've done this.
>>

> I suspect that the recipe I made in 75 or so was from Mother Earth
> News, Putting Food By, or one of the Foxfire books.
>
> I know there was no pectin involved.

I don't like most jam and jelly recipes that call for added
(commercial) pectin. It's just a way to stretch the fruit to make more
product by adding a boatload of sugar. You end up with a colorful,
extremely sweet product with not much flavor.
I stay away from it. If I'm going to all the work and expense of
making homemade preserves, I want them to taste like fruit, not like
sugar with a breath of fruit flavor.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hell Toupee > wrote:

>On 7/30/2012 5:00 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

>> I suspect that the recipe I made in 75 or so was from Mother Earth
>> News, Putting Food By, or one of the Foxfire books.
>>
>> I know there was no pectin involved.

>I don't like most jam and jelly recipes that call for added
>(commercial) pectin. It's just a way to stretch the fruit to make more
>product by adding a boatload of sugar. You end up with a colorful,
>extremely sweet product with not much flavor.
>I stay away from it. If I'm going to all the work and expense of
>making homemade preserves, I want them to taste like fruit, not like
>sugar with a breath of fruit flavor.

Agree-- BTW- that chokecherry jelly was perfect. Crystal clear,
perfect 'jell', and a tartness bordering on too much.

I've probably only made 40-50 batches of jelly since then, but the
chokecherry still stands out as the best by far. [Rhubarb marmalade
is excellent, but a distant second.]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/31/2012 6:09 AM, Hell Toupee wrote:

> I don't like most jam and jelly recipes that call for added (commercial)
> pectin. It's just a way to stretch the fruit to make more product by
> adding a boatload of sugar. You end up with a colorful, extremely sweet
> product with not much flavor.
> I stay away from it. If I'm going to all the work and expense of making
> homemade preserves, I want them to taste like fruit, not like sugar with
> a breath of fruit flavor.

On the other hand, pectin shortens the cooking time quite a bit and
unless you are making fruit butter, pectin recipes taste more like
fresh fruit to me.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:11:47 -0500, pheasant16 >
> wrote:
>
>> Lost in the flood craze last summer was our reference for making
>> chokecherry jelly.
>>
>> Figured no sweat, we'd just go to Kraft's website and find the Certo
>> recipe for Sour Cherry jelly.

> In my world, Choke cherries and Sour Cherries are a world apart.
>
> The recipe for chokecherry jelly on this page seems like what I made
> years ago-- It uses no pectin.
> http://www.homefamily.net/?p=37
>
> There is a picture on the top of the page that shows chokecherries as
> I know them.
>
> Sour cherries are much larger, hang one or two together-- and are one
> tenth the tartness of chokecherries.

That's chokecherries.

Thanks for the recipe. Might have to give it a test if we have juice
left. May be like modifying Coke a few years back. Never know til you try.

In my mind cooking plant material tends to decrease the flavor of the
organics. I use our non cooked chokecherry syrup as a reference; tastes
much brighter than the jelly. Therefore adding Certo decreases the
cooking time; possibly leaving more of the organics intact. Plus less
work to boil for 1 minute than until spoon test applies.

My theory and jelly: stickin' by it.

Mark
Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria p wrote:

> On the other hand, pectin shortens the cooking time quite a bit and
> unless you are making fruit butter, pectin recipes taste more like
> fresh fruit to me.
>
> gloria p

Exactly!!!!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

pheasant16 > wrote:

>Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-

>> The recipe for chokecherry jelly on this page seems like what I made
>> years ago-- It uses no pectin.
>> http://www.homefamily.net/?p=37
>>
>> There is a picture on the top of the page that shows chokecherries as
>> I know them.

-snip-

>Thanks for the recipe. Might have to give it a test if we have juice
>left. May be like modifying Coke a few years back. Never know til you try.

After looking closer at that page, I'm pretty sure the no pectin
recipe is the one I used--- The test for natural pectin rings some
bells in my dusty old belfry. There is a lot of natural pectin
in just under-ripe choke cherries.

Now you've got me jonesin' for some chokecherry jelly. . . .

Jim
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/31/2012 10:24 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 7/31/2012 6:09 AM, Hell Toupee wrote:
>

>> I don't like most jam and jelly recipes that call for added
>> (commercial)
>> pectin. It's just a way to stretch the fruit to make more product by
>> adding a boatload of sugar. You end up with a colorful, extremely sweet
>> product with not much flavor.
>> I stay away from it. If I'm going to all the work and expense of making
>> homemade preserves, I want them to taste like fruit, not like sugar
>> with
>> a breath of fruit flavor.
>>

> On the other hand, pectin shortens the cooking time quite a bit and
> unless you are making fruit butter, pectin recipes taste more like
> fresh fruit to me.

Cooking time's not an issue if you use a large enough pan for rapid
reduction. That's also why the classic jam and jelly recipes have you
work with a small amount at a time. Smaller quantities reach jell
stage faster.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
pheasant16 > wrote:

> Lost in the flood craze last summer was our reference for making
> chokecherry jelly.
>
> Figured no sweat, we'd just go to Kraft's website and find the Certo
> recipe for Sour Cherry jelly.
>
> It's changed.
>
> The old one didn't have water or almond extract. Think worst comes to
> worst we can get pretty close, but sure would like to get a copy of the
> old version as it has worked for as long as we've done this.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

What's it worth to you, Mark? <SEG>

Chokecherry Jelly/Certo
Recipe By: posted to r.f.p. by Barb Schaller, 8-10-2012

3 cups chokecherry juice
6 1/2 cups sugar
1 bottle liquid fruit pectin (Certo) (2 foil pouches)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)

Pour juice into large kettle. Add sugar and stir to mix. Place over
high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin,
bring to a full rolling boil and boil hard 1 minute, stirring
constantly. Remove from heat and stir and skim for 5 minutes. Add
extract. Seal in hot jars. Makes about 9 half pints. Note: Almond
extract gives a stronger cherry taste.

Notes: Source: This one is from Farm Journal Freezing & Canning
Cookbook, page 216. Same recipe from General Foods (makes Certo and
Sure Jell) in about 1986.

--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of June 6, 2012

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:11:47 -0500, pheasant16 >
> wrote:
> >The old one didn't have water or almond extract. Think worst comes to
> >worst we can get pretty close, but sure would like to get a copy of the
> >old version as it has worked for as long as we've done this.
> >Mark

> Is 1993 old enough? I have managed to keep some of the old ones
> because I like the way they work better that some of the new ones.

BINGO!

--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of June 6, 2012
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
pheasant16 > wrote:

> Found something on Kraft Canada that was similar too; 3c juice and 4
> 1/2c sugar. We may have to try it if we have any juice left.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Mark

Those look more like the measures for using powdered pectin, Mark (I
have that recipe from Sure€Jell, about 1991. Just sayin'.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of June 6, 2012

Sour lemon flavor even better than sour cherry Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 5 18-12-2012 05:12 PM
Bing Cherry Jelly Marilyn[_3_] Preserving 10 13-08-2009 09:56 PM
sour cherry jam pbein Preserving 0 19-08-2008 12:34 AM
Sour Cherry Wine roger Winemaking 1 26-05-2007 12:42 PM
SOUR CHERRY CAKE Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-03-2005 05:02 AM