Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Jelly, jelly & more jelly.

About the only crops of any consequence so far this hot dry summer
have been red currants and red raspberries.
Today we steam juiced some of each then proceeded to make jelly.
Some straight red currant jelly, some spiced red currant jelly and two
different blends of red currant & red raspberry jelly. A grand total
of 36-250ml jars.
For some reason one batch of the blended juice didn't jell properly so
it's either label it as syrup or dump them and try to fix it. We'll
make that decision after tomorrow morning's coffee.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/19/2012 10:47 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> About the only crops of any consequence so far this hot dry summer
> have been red currants and red raspberries.
> Today we steam juiced some of each then proceeded to make jelly.
> Some straight red currant jelly, some spiced red currant jelly and two
> different blends of red currant & red raspberry jelly. A grand total
> of 36-250ml jars.
> For some reason one batch of the blended juice didn't jell properly so
> it's either label it as syrup or dump them and try to fix it. We'll
> make that decision after tomorrow morning's coffee.
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

Used to have a friend, Bill Loke, up in your area. I would trade him
gumbo file and bay leaves for dried black currants. Do wish the things
would grow down here.

Your jelly sounds nice Ross, it's always satisfying to make your own food.

George, Southwest Louisiana, US of A
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, Ross@home
wrote:

> About the only crops of any consequence so far this hot dry summer
> have been red currants and red raspberries.
> Today we steam juiced some of each then proceeded to make jelly.
> Some straight red currant jelly, some spiced red currant jelly and two
> different blends of red currant & red raspberry jelly. A grand total
> of 36-250ml jars.
> For some reason one batch of the blended juice didn't jell properly so
> it's either label it as syrup or dump them and try to fix it. We'll
> make that decision after tomorrow morning's coffee.
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

I vote for syrup -- you've already put enough into those currants and
berries.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of June 6, 2012
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 19:11:20 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, Ross@home
>wrote:
>
>> About the only crops of any consequence so far this hot dry summer
>> have been red currants and red raspberries.
>> Today we steam juiced some of each then proceeded to make jelly.
>> Some straight red currant jelly, some spiced red currant jelly and two
>> different blends of red currant & red raspberry jelly. A grand total
>> of 36-250ml jars.
>> For some reason one batch of the blended juice didn't jell properly so
>> it's either label it as syrup or dump them and try to fix it. We'll
>> make that decision after tomorrow morning's coffee.
>>
>> Ross.
>> Southern Ontario, Canada

>I vote for syrup -- you've already put enough into those currants and
>berries.

It was a toss up.
We finally dumped the syrup back into the jelly pot, brought it to the
boil and kept checking the temperature with an instant read
thermometer. Turned off the heat when it reached 220ºF. Ladled back
into clean hot jars. Being of Scots heritage, I re-used the old lids.
BWB again for 10 minutes and we now have 8-250ml jars of nicely set
jelly.
Hope the kids & grandkids appreciate the work involved ;-).

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, Ross@home
wrote:

> We finally dumped the syrup back into the jelly pot, brought it to the
> boil and kept checking the temperature with an instant read
> thermometer. Turned off the heat when it reached 220ºF. Ladled back
> into clean hot jars. Being of Scots heritage, I re-used the old lids.
> BWB again for 10 minutes and we now have 8-250ml jars of nicely set
> jelly.
> Hope the kids & grandkids appreciate the work involved ;-).

Dreamer. They only notice the work when you want them to do it.

--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of July 25, 2012

I Like Jelly Pie [email protected] General Cooking 1 20-01-2006 08:22 PM
Jelly The Cook Preserving 5 11-10-2005 07:34 PM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Beer 3 27-01-2005 04:03 AM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Chocolate 0 25-01-2005 05:00 PM
Jelly Palm jelly? TM Preserving 8 26-07-2004 10:47 PM