Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default ring popped off

hi everyone
just canned 7 qts of tomato juice in my pressure canner. one of the
rings and lids popped off the jar, while it was canning. the jar did
not break and the ring was not bent or misshaped, I was able to screw it
back onto the same jar and it screwed on tight. I of course threw away
the lid and ring. has this happened to anyone else?? does anyone know
why this would happen??
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/18/2012 8:05 PM, dave wrote:
> hi everyone
> just canned 7 qts of tomato juice in my pressure canner. one of the
> rings and lids popped off the jar, while it was canning. the jar did
> not break and the ring was not bent or misshaped, I was able to screw it
> back onto the same jar and it screwed on tight. I of course threw away
> the lid and ring. has this happened to anyone else?? does anyone know
> why this would happen??

Never had that happen, only thing I can think of is the ring was put on
a little crooked and the internal pressure of the jar finally blew it
off. I would use that jar first and keep it in the fridge until you do.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

dave wrote:

> hi everyone
> just canned 7 qts of tomato juice in my pressure canner. one of the
> rings and lids popped off the jar, while it was canning. the jar did
> not break and the ring was not bent or misshaped, I was able to screw it
> back onto the same jar and it screwed on tight. I of course threw away
> the lid and ring. has this happened to anyone else?? does anyone know
> why this would happen??

i suspect you put the lid/ring on too tight to
begin with. i'm not a pressure canner expert
though, so the others here may have better ideas...

songbird