Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Dilly beans

Just took four pints of dilly beans with garlic out of the BWB pot.
Looks like we will be getting about four pints of snapped beans every
three days or so. The great grands will be happy that we are making
their favorite pickles. Between home grown and canned dilly beans and
dilly carrots we're getting them to eat some vegetables other than pork
and beans.

We have been getting rain about every other day, from one-half inch to
two-inches each time. The lawn is growing faster than two old people can
mow it, may have to get the young man down the street in again. Of
course the garden is outdoing itself.

Our much depleted fig tree is giving us a pint of ripe figs about every
other day also. We lost more than half of the tree to a freeze in winter
2010. The tree is coming along nicely but has a way to go to return to
its previous splendor.

We lost the peach tree and the quince tree to peach borer's. Anyone need
wood for smoking meat? Come on down. I will be using the sawzall pretty
soon to take both down. I still have plenty of pear wood for smoking
from a few years ago when frost got the pear tree and the lemon tree.
The lemon tree has regrown from the stump and is about six-feet tall and
blooming. The Ponderosa lemon, a natural cross between a grapefruit and
a lemon, grows true from either seed or root. Have probably given away
more than a hundred scions to local friends over the last twenty-two years.

We are going to Houston area Sunday to take a preliminary look at houses
we might want to live in. We had our realtor over yesterday and she has
started the process but will hold off advertising until we have a house
we want in the process of being bought. Seems the housing boom has hit
our area again with $12 billion in new projects due to kick off this
fall and next spring. I had guesstimated the value of our home and was
pretty much spot on from what the realtor says. Luckily the area we want
to move to is in a slump so we may get the house we want quickly.

Off to haul another load of "stuff" to the storage locker, we make
headway slowly.

George

Father Confessor, HOSSPOJ
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George....I've not heard of dilly beans and carrots before you mentioned
them....do you eat them cold or heat them up?.....a dumb question I
know...Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Carol S wrote:

> George....I've not heard of dilly beans and carrots before you mentioned
> them....do you eat them cold or heat them up?.....a dumb question I
> know...Carol

I saw "gilly beans" mentioned in one of the Harry Potter books so I
looked up "dilly beans". First I'd heard the name. UK useage I take it.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jun 20, 11:19*am, George Shirley > wrote:
> Just took four pints of dilly beans with garlic out of the BWB pot.
> Looks like we will be getting about four pints of snapped beans every
> three days or so. The great grands will be happy that we are making
> their favorite pickles. Between home grown and canned dilly beans and
> dilly carrots we're getting them to eat some vegetables other than pork
> and beans.
>
> We have been getting rain about every other day, from one-half inch to
> two-inches each time. The lawn is growing faster than two old people can
> mow it, may have to get the young man down the street in again. Of
> course the garden is outdoing itself.
>
> Our much depleted fig tree is giving us a pint of ripe figs about every
> other day also. We lost more than half of the tree to a freeze in winter
> 2010. The tree is coming along nicely but has a way to go to return to
> its previous splendor.
>
> We lost the peach tree and the quince tree to peach borer's. Anyone need
> wood for smoking meat? Come on down. I will be using the sawzall pretty
> soon to take both down. I still have plenty of pear wood for smoking
> from a few years ago when frost got the pear tree and the lemon tree.
> The lemon tree has regrown from the stump and is about six-feet tall and
> blooming. The Ponderosa lemon, a natural cross between a grapefruit and
> a lemon, grows true from either seed or root. Have probably given away
> more than a hundred scions to local friends over the last twenty-two years.
>
> We are going to Houston area Sunday to take a preliminary look at houses
> we might want to live in. We had our realtor over yesterday and she has
> started the process but will hold off advertising until we have a house
> we want in the process of being bought. Seems the housing boom has hit
> our area again with $12 billion in new projects due to kick off this
> fall and next spring. I had guesstimated the value of our home and was
> pretty much spot on from what the realtor says. Luckily the area we want
> to move to is in a slump so we may get the house we want quickly.
>
> Off to haul another load of "stuff" to the storage locker, we make
> headway slowly.
>
> George
>
> Father Confessor, HOSSPOJ

mmmmmmmm dilly beans. My family likes dilly carrots too

Kathi
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi wrote:

> On Jun 20, 11:19 am, George Shirley >
> wrote:
>> Just took four pints of dilly beans with garlic out of the BWB
>> pot. Looks like we will be getting about four pints of snapped
>> beans every three days or so. The great grands will be happy
>> that we are making their favorite pickles. Between home grown
>> and canned dilly beans and dilly carrots we're getting them to
>> eat some vegetables other than pork and beans.
>>
>> We have been getting rain about every other day, from one-half
>> inch to two-inches each time. The lawn is growing faster than
>> two old people can mow it, may have to get the young man down
>> the street in again. Of course the garden is outdoing itself.
>>
>> Our much depleted fig tree is giving us a pint of ripe figs
>> about every other day also. We lost more than half of the tree
>> to a freeze in winter 2010. The tree is coming along nicely
>> but has a way to go to return to its previous splendor.
>>
>> We lost the peach tree and the quince tree to peach borer's.
>> Anyone need wood for smoking meat? Come on down. I will be
>> using the sawzall pretty soon to take both down. I still have
>> plenty of pear wood for smoking from a few years ago when
>> frost got the pear tree and the lemon tree. The lemon tree has
>> regrown from the stump and is about six-feet tall and
>> blooming. The Ponderosa lemon, a natural cross between a
>> grapefruit and a lemon, grows true from either seed or root.
>> Have probably given away more than a hundred scions to local
>> friends over the last twenty-two years.
>>
>> We are going to Houston area Sunday to take a preliminary look
>> at houses we might want to live in. We had our realtor over
>> yesterday and she has started the process but will hold off
>> advertising until we have a house we want in the process of
>> being bought. Seems the housing boom has hit our area again
>> with $12 billion in new projects due to kick off this fall and
>> next spring. I had guesstimated the value of our home and was
>> pretty much spot on from what the realtor says. Luckily the
>> area we want to move to is in a slump so we may get the house
>> we want quickly.
>>
>> Off to haul another load of "stuff" to the storage locker, we
>> make headway slowly.
>>
>> George
>>
>> Father Confessor, HOSSPOJ

> mmmmmmmm dilly beans. My family likes dilly carrots too
>
> Kathi

George, do you put Pickle Crisp in the jars for dilly beans and
carrots? Or do you just follow the recipe in the BBB?

I've been getting a good crop of green beans (which may not continue
if some rain doesn't appear soon), and dilly beans might be worth
a try once my neighbors and I are stuffed to the gills with beans.

Nyssa, who could almost live on green beans, but even she has a limit

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 6/23/2012 8:55 AM, Carol S wrote:
> George....I've not heard of dilly beans and carrots before you mentioned
> them....do you eat them cold or heat them up?.....a dumb question I
> know...Carol

They're pickles Carol, pickled carrots or green beans, with dill weed
and garlic. We eat them cold.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 6/23/2012 3:20 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Carol S wrote:
>>
>> George....I've not heard of dilly beans and carrots before you mentioned
>> them....do you eat them cold or heat them up?.....a dumb question I
>> know...Carol

> I saw "gilly beans" mentioned in one of the Harry Potter books so I
> looked up "dilly beans". First I'd heard the name. UK useage I take it.

Nope, American usage Doug, been making them for about fifty years and
they're in most American pickling recipe books.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 6/26/2012 9:52 AM, Nyssa wrote:
> Kathi wrote:
>
>> On Jun 20, 11:19 am, George >
>> wrote:
>>> Just took four pints of dilly beans with garlic out of the BWB
>>> pot. Looks like we will be getting about four pints of snapped
>>> beans every three days or so. The great grands will be happy
>>> that we are making their favorite pickles. Between home grown
>>> and canned dilly beans and dilly carrots we're getting them to
>>> eat some vegetables other than pork and beans.
>>>
>>> We have been getting rain about every other day, from one-half
>>> inch to two-inches each time. The lawn is growing faster than
>>> two old people can mow it, may have to get the young man down
>>> the street in again. Of course the garden is outdoing itself.
>>>
>>> Our much depleted fig tree is giving us a pint of ripe figs
>>> about every other day also. We lost more than half of the tree
>>> to a freeze in winter 2010. The tree is coming along nicely
>>> but has a way to go to return to its previous splendor.
>>>
>>> We lost the peach tree and the quince tree to peach borer's.
>>> Anyone need wood for smoking meat? Come on down. I will be
>>> using the sawzall pretty soon to take both down. I still have
>>> plenty of pear wood for smoking from a few years ago when
>>> frost got the pear tree and the lemon tree. The lemon tree has
>>> regrown from the stump and is about six-feet tall and
>>> blooming. The Ponderosa lemon, a natural cross between a
>>> grapefruit and a lemon, grows true from either seed or root.
>>> Have probably given away more than a hundred scions to local
>>> friends over the last twenty-two years.
>>>
>>> We are going to Houston area Sunday to take a preliminary look
>>> at houses we might want to live in. We had our realtor over
>>> yesterday and she has started the process but will hold off
>>> advertising until we have a house we want in the process of
>>> being bought. Seems the housing boom has hit our area again
>>> with $12 billion in new projects due to kick off this fall and
>>> next spring. I had guesstimated the value of our home and was
>>> pretty much spot on from what the realtor says. Luckily the
>>> area we want to move to is in a slump so we may get the house
>>> we want quickly.
>>>
>>> Off to haul another load of "stuff" to the storage locker, we
>>> make headway slowly.
>>>
>>> George
>>>
>>> Father Confessor, HOSSPOJ

>> mmmmmmmm dilly beans. My family likes dilly carrots too
>>
>> Kathi

> George, do you put Pickle Crisp in the jars for dilly beans and
> carrots? Or do you just follow the recipe in the BBB?
>
> I've been getting a good crop of green beans (which may not continue
> if some rain doesn't appear soon), and dilly beans might be worth
> a try once my neighbors and I are stuffed to the gills with beans.
>
> Nyssa, who could almost live on green beans, but even she has a limit

I use Pickle Crisp in all my pickles except for Pickled Boiled Dirt
Chunks, aka pickled beets. I like my pickles crisp, used to lime them
but PC is so much easier.

Dilly beans Ross@home Preserving 2 08-09-2012 02:41 AM
Dilly beans Ross@home Preserving 1 06-08-2011 02:42 PM
Dilly beans George Shirley Preserving 14 01-03-2010 03:31 PM
Dilly beans Dwayne Preserving 15 25-07-2004 05:19 PM
Dilly Beans Wayne Boatwright Preserving 2 23-02-2004 12:44 AM