FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Jelly Making (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/417218-jelly-making.html)

The Cook 22-04-2012 09:12 PM

Jelly Making

I started some orange marmalade a month or so ago that did not set. It
is sitting on the counter waiting for me to recook the stuff. One
batch did set. I made 51/2 pints of Rhubarb and blood orange. Looks
neat. My next project was rhubarb jelly. Got 7 1/2 pints of that.
Right now I have rhubarb and strawberries dripping for jelly.

Can you guess that I am trying to use up my strawberries and rhubarb.
I also made the rhubarb cake from the recipe that Barb Schaller has
posted several time. This time I added strawberries. I was great.
--
Susan N.

RussianFoodDire 24-04-2012 05:48 AM

My favorite varieties for jam & jelly are Seneca, GW5, and Niagara for white jelly, and Price, NY Muscat, Buffalo, Concord and Steuben for red jelly.

Melba's Jammin' 26-04-2012 05:27 PM

Jelly Making

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> I started some orange marmalade a month or so ago that did not set. It
> is sitting on the counter waiting for me to recook the stuff. One
> batch did set. I made 51/2 pints of Rhubarb and blood orange. Looks
> neat. My next project was rhubarb jelly. Got 7 1/2 pints of that.
> Right now I have rhubarb and strawberries dripping for jelly.
>
> Can you guess that I am trying to use up my strawberries and rhubarb.
> I also made the rhubarb cake from the recipe that Barb Schaller has
> posted several time. This time I added strawberries. I was great.

Sounds like you cook the rhubarb and strawberries together, Susan? What
ratio do you use?
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011

The Cook 26-04-2012 07:33 PM

Jelly Making

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 11:27:49 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> I started some orange marmalade a month or so ago that did not set. It
>> is sitting on the counter waiting for me to recook the stuff. One
>> batch did set. I made 51/2 pints of Rhubarb and blood orange. Looks
>> neat. My next project was rhubarb jelly. Got 7 1/2 pints of that.
>> Right now I have rhubarb and strawberries dripping for jelly.
>>
>> Can you guess that I am trying to use up my strawberries and rhubarb.
>> I also made the rhubarb cake from the recipe that Barb Schaller has
>> posted several time. This time I added strawberries. I was great.

>Sounds like you cook the rhubarb and strawberries together, Susan? What
>ratio do you use?

No, the fruit is not cooked before juicing. The recipe is from So
Easy to Preserve, page 205. Mine is a little soft but not too bad. I
will open one and try it as soon as I finish a couple of other ones.

BTW I made the rhubarb cake and also used strawberries, about half and
half. Very good.
--
Susan N.

Melba's Jammin' 27-04-2012 11:09 PM

Jelly Making

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 11:27:49 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > The Cook > wrote:
> >
> >> I started some orange marmalade a month or so ago that did not set. It
> >> is sitting on the counter waiting for me to recook the stuff. One
> >> batch did set. I made 51/2 pints of Rhubarb and blood orange. Looks
> >> neat. My next project was rhubarb jelly. Got 7 1/2 pints of that.
> >> Right now I have rhubarb and strawberries dripping for jelly.
> >>
> >> Can you guess that I am trying to use up my strawberries and rhubarb.
> >> I also made the rhubarb cake from the recipe that Barb Schaller has
> >> posted several time. This time I added strawberries. I was great.

> >Sounds like you cook the rhubarb and strawberries together, Susan? What
> >ratio do you use?

> No, the fruit is not cooked before juicing. The recipe is from So
> Easy to Preserve, page 205. Mine is a little soft but not too bad. I
> will open one and try it as soon as I finish a couple of other ones.
>
> BTW I made the rhubarb cake and also used strawberries, about half and
> half. Very good.

Okay, I just looked at the recipe. Wow! Does it take forever and two
days to drip through? Do you grind or blend it? Seems like blending it
would render it thick mush that wouldn't drain. IMWTK.

The Cook 27-04-2012 11:36 PM

Jelly Making

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 17:09:40 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 11:27:49 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>> >Sounds like you cook the rhubarb and strawberries together, Susan? What
>> >ratio do you use?

>> No, the fruit is not cooked before juicing. The recipe is from So
>> Easy to Preserve, page 205. Mine is a little soft but not too bad. I
>> will open one and try it as soon as I finish a couple of other ones.
>>
>> BTW I made the rhubarb cake and also used strawberries, about half and
>> half. Very good.

>Okay, I just looked at the recipe. Wow! Does it take forever and two
>days to drip through? Do you grind or blend it? Seems like blending it
>would render it thick mush that wouldn't drain. IMWTK.

I put the rhubarb through the grinder and got plenty of juice.. I
mashed the strawberries, but the results weren't too good. I was
wishing I had put them in the blender and maybe then mashed. Both
were fresh from the garden.
--
Susan N.