Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Scalet Runner Beans

Hi all, Has anyone grown Scarlet Runner Beans & if so what are the pros &
cons of growing them. Most important pro being do they taste good??. Thanks
for your input. John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 4/8/2012 9:34 AM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 00:08:32 GMT, wrote:
>
>> Hi all, Has anyone grown Scarlet Runner Beans& if so what are the pros&
>> cons of growing them. Most important pro being do they taste good??. Thanks
>> for your input. John

> My favourite "green bean". We grow them on several tepees made from
> six 8-foot bamboo stakes tied at the top. Not the greatest producer in
> our experience but, picked early, flavour makes up for that. Beans are
> more flat than round and not as smooth as regular green beans.
> Humminbirds love the blossoms.
> OB preserving. We blanch and freeze as many as we can after I've eaten
> my fill of fresh-picked.
>
> Ross.

I've done the scarlet runners that way and have also pressure canned
them, all with good results.

We're harvesting the last of the winter carrots today plus some spring
green peas. Easter dinner is a small ham with pineapple slices and
maraschino cherries (shades of the forties and fifties), carrots and
peas cooked together with carrots and dill, baked sweet potatoes and a
nice loaf of home made bread. We have ginger snaps I made two days ago
with fresh grated ginger, ground ginger, and candied ginger. In addition
my lovely wife made kumquat cookies yesterday. We have a friend coming
over at noon for our dinner so we put the festive table cloth on this
morning.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

http://tinypic.com/r/33za4j9/5

> Ross.

Are those price tags on the bamboo Ross? Around this part of the south
you just go by someone's bamboo patch and ask permission to cut poles.
My chiropractor has a patch behind his office. We get bean and tomato
poles there when we need them. Pull them out of the ground at the end of
the season and put them away for next use. We do have to dry them on a
rack before using as the green ones will make roots and start growing.

Lots of folks that live along busy highways plant them along their
frontage to cut down on traffic noise. Running bamboo can become very
invasive it you don't mow around it regularly and keep a watch for
runners sprouting.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Thanks for the help all. I'm heading to the seed store to get some right
now. John

Senior Member

Location: New York

The Scarlett Runner Beans I had last Summer bloomed all summer long, great flowers, so pretty. But no pods appeared until the weather started to get a little cooler near autumn.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
RussianFoodDire > wrote:

> The Scarlett Runner Beans I had last Summer bloomed all summer long,
> great flowers, so pretty. But no pods appeared until the weather started
> to get a little cooler near autumn.

I wonder if there was a problem with pollinators. Was there a lot of
pesticide spraying in your area?

--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com>

Runner (string) Beans alan[_2_] Vegetarian cooking 3 04-09-2009 02:50 AM
Runner Beans. May Preserving 10 02-08-2005 03:08 PM
Runner Bean........ Bez Preserving 6 13-09-2004 04:39 PM
Runner Bean Recipe. Bez Preserving 3 12-09-2004 06:56 PM