Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default How to buy book - "So Easy to Preserve"

Pardon me for barging in here, but I am hoping for guidance. Barb
(JamLady) is on vacation and only iPoding, so I don't want to bother
her with anything. She recommended that I begin my learn about
canning and pickling by poking around online at uga.edu/nchfp where I
found this book that I'd like the printed hard copy of:

So Easy to Preserve, 5th Edition, University of Georgia
The Book. So Easy to Preserve books are now IN STOCK. Pricing and
ordering instructions are found on the printable order form; there is
no online ordering. setp.uga.edu

Trying to read it, or most anything of an education value at the
website is a bit difficult for me, Barnes & Noble doesn't seem to have
the book, and I am wondering if anyone here can lead me to a purchase
link for it.

Thank you so, JeanineAlyse
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/10/2012 3:04 PM, PickyJeanineAlyse wrote:
> Pardon me for barging in here, but I am hoping for guidance. Barb
> (JamLady) is on vacation and only iPoding, so I don't want to bother
> her with anything. She recommended that I begin my learn about
> canning and pickling by poking around online at uga.edu/nchfp where I
> found this book that I'd like the printed hard copy of:
>
> So Easy to Preserve, 5th Edition, University of Georgia
> The Book. So Easy to Preserve books are now IN STOCK. Pricing and
> ordering instructions are found on the printable order form; there is
> no online ordering. setp.uga.edu
>
> Trying to read it, or most anything of an education value at the
> website is a bit difficult for me, Barnes& Noble doesn't seem to have
> the book, and I am wondering if anyone here can lead me to a purchase
> link for it.
>
> Thank you so, JeanineAlyse

I don't know about that particular book, but this one is considered the
bible. (JamLady would probably agree). Start he

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Book.../dp/0972753702

Here is a 3rd edition:
http://tinyurl.com/88g2mjy
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/10/2012 3:04 PM, PickyJeanineAlyse wrote:
> Pardon me for barging in here, but I am hoping for guidance. Barb
> (JamLady) is on vacation and only iPoding, so I don't want to bother
> her with anything. She recommended that I begin my learn about
> canning and pickling by poking around online at uga.edu/nchfp where I
> found this book that I'd like the printed hard copy of:
>
> So Easy to Preserve, 5th Edition, University of Georgia
> The Book. So Easy to Preserve books are now IN STOCK. Pricing and
> ordering instructions are found on the printable order form; there is
> no online ordering. setp.uga.edu
>
> Trying to read it, or most anything of an education value at the
> website is a bit difficult for me, Barnes& Noble doesn't seem to have
> the book, and I am wondering if anyone here can lead me to a purchase
> link for it.
>
> Thank you so, JeanineAlyse

Basically you have to print out the order form and mail it, along with a
check for $18.00 to the address on the form. Go to
http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_uga.html
click on the form at the right, if you have the latest free edition of
Adobe Reader on your computer you can then print out the form and just
follow the directions. I ordered two that way when SETP first came out
and got them in no time at all.

It is a really valuable asset for any home food preserver. If you need
further help with the book or anything else feel free to ask here.

George

Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/10/2012 2:34 PM, Shawn Martin wrote:
> On 2/10/2012 3:04 PM, PickyJeanineAlyse wrote:
>> Pardon me for barging in here, but I am hoping for guidance. Barb
>> (JamLady) is on vacation and only iPoding, so I don't want to bother
>> her with anything. She recommended that I begin my learn about
>> canning and pickling by poking around online at uga.edu/nchfp where I
>> found this book that I'd like the printed hard copy of:
>>
>> So Easy to Preserve, 5th Edition, University of Georgia
>> The Book. So Easy to Preserve books are now IN STOCK. Pricing and
>> ordering instructions are found on the printable order form; there is
>> no online ordering. setp.uga.edu

Amazon has it for $28.99. I know JamLady (Barb) also swears by the Ball
Blue Book. It's available widely, in bookstores and almost always
wherever canning supplies are sold.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Feb 10, 2:18*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> Basically you have to print out the order form and mail it, along with a
> check for $18.00 to the address on the form. Go tohttp://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_uga.html
> click on the form at the right, if you have the latest free edition

Thank you so, Sir. I went to the link, found the book and clicked on
the Order Form to print it. As stated there, I had to install the
Adobe Reader in order to print it, which I then did. However, that
was ten over minutes ago and nothing has printed so I called them at
the number provided and left my contact information for a call-back.
If they require their own ordering form, perhaps they will mail me
one. I also have a planned Barnes & Noble trip soon, where I'm sure I
can also buy the Ball book as well.

I am in no real rush, I've just retired from 31 years of work with the
USMC and have plenty of time to begin learning to pickle, preserve and
can. I do trust that I may pop in here on my learning path, as
advised by Barb and by having "read" this group of so helpful people
for a few years now.

Thank you so, JeanineAlyse

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Jeanine:

If you have a half-decent library nearby you can probably find
preserving books for temporary use.

If they are more than a few years old, check the directions against the
UGA website. Procedures that used to be standard (like paraffin wax to
seal jams or boiling water bath for non-acid vegetables) have been
proven dangerous.

Most of the posters on rfp are very helpful, patient, and knowledgeable.
Ignore the occasional cranks who migrate here from rfc.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
PickyJeanineAlyse > wrote:

> Pardon me for barging in here, but I am hoping for guidance. Barb
> (JamLady) is on vacation and only iPoding, so I don't want to bother
> her with anything. She recommended that I begin my learn about
> canning and pickling by poking around online at uga.edu/nchfp where I
> found this book that I'd like the printed hard copy of:
>
> So Easy to Preserve, 5th Edition, University of Georgia
> The Book. So Easy to Preserve books are now IN STOCK. Pricing and
> ordering instructions are found on the printable order form; there is
> no online ordering. setp.uga.edu
>
> Trying to read it, or most anything of an education value at the
> website is a bit difficult for me, Barnes & Noble doesn't seem to have
> the book, and I am wondering if anyone here can lead me to a purchase
> link for it.
>
> Thank you so, JeanineAlyse

What is the problem you're having with getting the info online, Miss
Jeanine? The notion of heaving reading on a screen or is it something
else? Check around your local community education folks to see if they
have a class on safe food preservation. Or try a cooking store if
there's one around.

This section of the NCHFP site is a good place to begin:
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/general.html Plan to *study* the info. And
read it until you 'get' the particulars of the science behind it ‹ and
DO ask here for clarification of a point.

--
Barb, back from 11 days in Hawai'i. Aloha!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
PickyJeanineAlyse > wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2:18*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> > Basically you have to print out the order form and mail it, along with a
> > check for $18.00 to the address on the form. Go
> > tohttp://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_uga.html
> > click on the form at the right, if you have the latest free edition

> Thank you so, Sir. I went to the link, found the book and clicked on
> the Order Form to print it. As stated there, I had to install the
> Adobe Reader in order to print it, which I then did. However, that
> was ten over minutes ago and nothing has printed so I called them at
> the number provided and left my contact information for a call-back.
> If they require their own ordering form, perhaps they will mail me
> one. I also have a planned Barnes & Noble trip soon, where I'm sure I
> can also buy the Ball book as well.
>
> I am in no real rush, I've just retired from 31 years of work with the
> USMC and have plenty of time to begin learning to pickle, preserve and
> can. I do trust that I may pop in here on my learning path, as
> advised by Barb and by having "read" this group of so helpful people
> for a few years now.
>
> Thank you so, JeanineAlyse

Glad to hear you have the book on order!
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Shawn Martin > wrote:

> On 2/10/2012 3:04 PM, PickyJeanineAlyse wrote:
> > Pardon me for barging in here, but I am hoping for guidance. Barb
> > (JamLady) is on vacation and only iPoding, so I don't want to bother
> > her with anything. She recommended that I begin my learn about
> > canning and pickling by poking around online at uga.edu/nchfp where I
> > found this book that I'd like the printed hard copy of:
> >
> > So Easy to Preserve, 5th Edition, University of Georgia
> > The Book. So Easy to Preserve books are now IN STOCK. Pricing and
> > ordering instructions are found on the printable order form; there is
> > no online ordering. setp.uga.edu
> >
> > Trying to read it, or most anything of an education value at the
> > website is a bit difficult for me, Barnes& Noble doesn't seem to have
> > the book, and I am wondering if anyone here can lead me to a purchase
> > link for it.
> >
> > Thank you so, JeanineAlyse

> I don't know about that particular book, but this one is considered the
> bible. (JamLady would probably agree). Start he
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Book.../dp/0972753702
>
> Here is a 3rd edition:
> http://tinyurl.com/88g2mjy

Within about the last 10 years or so, a big overhaul was done on some
processing times and information. I think I'd steer clear of that 3rd
edition ‹ I'd be curious, though, to know what it says about acidifying
tomatoes for canning.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
gloria p > wrote:

> On 2/10/2012 2:34 PM, Shawn Martin wrote:
> > On 2/10/2012 3:04 PM, PickyJeanineAlyse wrote:
> >> Pardon me for barging in here, but I am hoping for guidance. Barb
> >> (JamLady) is on vacation and only iPoding, so I don't want to bother
> >> her with anything. She recommended that I begin my learn about
> >> canning and pickling by poking around online at uga.edu/nchfp where I
> >> found this book that I'd like the printed hard copy of:
> >>
> >> So Easy to Preserve, 5th Edition, University of Georgia
> >> The Book. So Easy to Preserve books are now IN STOCK. Pricing and
> >> ordering instructions are found on the printable order form; there is
> >> no online ordering. setp.uga.edu

> Amazon has it for $28.99. I know JamLady (Barb) also swears by the Ball
> Blue Book. It's available widely, in bookstores and almost always
> wherever canning supplies are sold.
>
> gloria p

Boy, that's expensive. I don't think I paid more than about $15-18 for
it direct from the fine folks at the U of Georgia. Yikes!
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Feb 18, 6:30Â*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> What is the problem you're having with getting the info online, Miss
> Jeanine? Â*The notion of heaving reading on a screen or is it something
> else? Â*Check around your local community education folks to see if they
> have a class on safe food preservation. Â*Or try a cooking store if
> there's one around.
>
> This section of the NCHFP site is a good place to begin:http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/general.htmlÂ* Â*Plan to *study* the info. Â*And
> read it until you 'get' the particulars of the science behind it €¹ and
> DO ask here for clarification of a point.

I do not like having to screen read at all, and I sure don't want to
have to look online for whatever refresh-answer from a book I may need
as I get along. I did look into the college nearby, as well as into
other places near eniough that may, but no one has any preservation
classes scheduled, and may never have.

I do intend to study before I begin anything, that's why I want the
books. I'm not buying any jars or equipment at all until I feel a
comfy enough knowledge to begin any process, been there, done that.
And I know from browsing here that people are kind and quick to lend a
hand with their own knowledge, plus I feel a special closeness with
one of the proven best that I will not hesitate to call in a later on
mid-cook pinch if need be.

I now have the NCHFP site short-cutted and will spend time there as
well, thank you mommie!
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
PickyJeanineAlyse > wrote:

> On Feb 18, 6:30Â*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > What is the problem you're having with getting the info online, Miss
> > Jeanine? Â*The notion of heaving reading on a screen or is it something
> > else? Â*Check around your local community education folks to see if they
> > have a class on safe food preservation. Â*Or try a cooking store if
> > there's one around.
> >
> > This section of the NCHFP site is a good place to
> > begin:http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/general.htmlÂ* Â*Plan to *study* the info.
> > Â*And
> > read it until you 'get' the particulars of the science behind it €¹ and
> > DO ask here for clarification of a point.

> I do not like having to screen read at all,

I "get" that, Kiddo. I'm okay with it for some things, not for others.
I have no problem reading books on my iPad, but doing heavy reading of a
technical-type subject might be difficult.

> and I sure don't want to have to look online for whatever
> refresh-answer from a book I may need as I get along.

See, now that doesn't bother me at all. :-) I like being able to
reference a couple different sources for corroboration of whatever I
think I know. :-0)

> I did look into the college nearby, as well as into
> other places near eniough that may, but no one has any preservation
> classes scheduled, and may never have.

Da bums!!

> I do intend to study before I begin anything, that's why I want the
> books. I'm not buying any jars or equipment at all until I feel a
> comfy enough knowledge to begin any process, been there, done that.

C'mon, Girlfriend!! Dip your toe in! Everybody starts with strawberry
jam. And if it flops, you just pour it on ice cream and call it a
sundae. You are an experienced cooker and baker. Know that you're not
going to kill anyone with a jar of less-than-perfect jam or jelly.

> And I know from browsing here that people are kind and quick to lend a
> hand with their own knowledge, plus I feel a special closeness with
> one of the proven best that I will not hesitate to call in a later on
> mid-cook pinch if need be.

<Jumps up and wildly waves arms!!> LOL!!

> I now have the NCHFP site short-cutted and will spend time there as
> well, thank you mommie!
> ...Picky

Gotta find you a local consultant, Miss Jeanine. '-)

--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Feb 21, 7:43*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> C'mon, Girlfriend!! *Dip your toe in! *Everybody starts with strawberry
> jam. *And if it flops, you just pour it on ice cream and call it a
> sundae. *You are an experienced cooker and baker. *Know that you're not
> going to kill anyone with a jar of less-than-perfect jam or jelly.
> Gotta find you a local consultant, Miss Jeanine. *'-)

I may dip deez toes in, but it sure will not be with strawberries. I
do not like 'em at all, they're like chewing sand. Funny thing may be
that I love blackberries. While others complain of the hard seeds, I
simply do not bite through them. Raspberries are a favorite,
boysenberries, too.

Reminds me...I have not noticed any comment or resource for making
Lemon Marmalade. Why not? If it's because of the tartness, it seems
to me such could have many savory uses, such as tumbling crispy fried
chicken in it. Is it because of the acididity lemons impart?
....PickyPonders
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Feb 22, 9:28*am, PickyJeanineAlyse > wrote:
> On Feb 21, 7:43*am, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:> C'mon, Girlfriend!! *Dip your toe in! *Everybody starts with strawberry
> > jam. *And if it flops, you just pour it on ice cream and call it a
> > sundae. *You are an experienced cooker and baker. *Know that you're not
> > going to kill anyone with a jar of less-than-perfect jam or jelly.
> > Gotta find you a local consultant, Miss Jeanine. *'-)

> I may dip deez toes in, but it sure will not be with strawberries. *I
> do not like 'em at all, they're like chewing sand. *Funny thing may be
> that I love blackberries. *While others complain of the hard seeds, I
> simply do not bite through them. *Raspberries are a favorite,
> boysenberries, too.
>
> Reminds me...I have not noticed any comment or resource for making
> Lemon Marmalade. *Why not? *If it's because of the tartness, it seems
> to me such could have many savory uses, such as tumbling crispy fried
> chicken in it. *Is it because of the acididity lemons impart?

Nevermind, I googled to find that both marmalades and jellies are made
with lemons, though the Meyers seem to be suggested most. Hah! My
lemon tree will have me trying both marmalades and jellies one day.
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
PickyJeanineAlyse > wrote:

> On Feb 21, 7:43*am, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > C'mon, Girlfriend!! *Dip your toe in! *Everybody starts with strawberry
> > jam. *And if it flops, you just pour it on ice cream and call it a
> > sundae. *You are an experienced cooker and baker. *Know that you're not
> > going to kill anyone with a jar of less-than-perfect jam or jelly.
> > Gotta find you a local consultant, Miss Jeanine. *'-)

> I may dip deez toes in, but it sure will not be with strawberries. I
> do not like 'em at all, they're like chewing sand. Funny thing may be
> that I love blackberries. While others complain of the hard seeds, I
> simply do not bite through them. Raspberries are a favorite,
> boysenberries, too.
>
> Reminds me...I have not noticed any comment or resource for making
> Lemon Marmalade. Why not? If it's because of the tartness, it seems
> to me such could have many savory uses, such as tumbling crispy fried
> chicken in it. Is it because of the acididity lemons impart?
> ...PickyPonders

Lemon marmalade is possible; I don't make marmalades, but Jorge does.
He's made some killer grapefruit marmalade in his day, too.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/22/2012 11:28 AM, PickyJeanineAlyse wrote:
> On Feb 21, 7:43 am, Melba's >
> wrote:
>> C'mon, Girlfriend!! Dip your toe in! Everybody starts with strawberry
>> jam. And if it flops, you just pour it on ice cream and call it a
>> sundae. You are an experienced cooker and baker. Know that you're not
>> going to kill anyone with a jar of less-than-perfect jam or jelly.
>> Gotta find you a local consultant, Miss Jeanine. '-)

> I may dip deez toes in, but it sure will not be with strawberries. I
> do not like 'em at all, they're like chewing sand. Funny thing may be
> that I love blackberries. While others complain of the hard seeds, I
> simply do not bite through them. Raspberries are a favorite,
> boysenberries, too.

Make that two of us that don't like strawberries, loved them when I was
a kid more than sixty years ago, modern ones have no flavor to me and
just look nice. My loverly wife loves the things, particularly dipped
into chocolate.

> Reminds me...I have not noticed any comment or resource for making
> Lemon Marmalade. Why not? If it's because of the tartness, it seems
> to me such could have many savory uses, such as tumbling crispy fried
> chicken in it. Is it because of the acididity lemons impart?
> ...PickyPonders

I make kumquat marmalade every year, we have a plethora of the things
what with two trees, one sweet, one tart. Have made marmalade from
lemons before Mother Nature froze out lemon tree, which, by the way, has
sent up scions from the roots and this variety runs true from seed or
root. You can pretty much adapt any marmalade recipe to lemons, I've
probably got one in one of my many preserving books, will see if I can
find it and post it for you. Hang in there, it will all fall into place
one day soon. None of us were born as jammers, well, maybe Barb. I
started as a child helping my mother and grandmother to put up food.
Back in the day when jams and jellies were sealed with paraffin and
there was lots of waste.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/22/2012 3:51 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Feb 21, 7:43 am, Melba's >
>> wrote:
>>> C'mon, Girlfriend!! Dip your toe in! Everybody starts with strawberry
>>> jam. And if it flops, you just pour it on ice cream and call it a
>>> sundae. You are an experienced cooker and baker. Know that you're not
>>> going to kill anyone with a jar of less-than-perfect jam or jelly.
>>> Gotta find you a local consultant, Miss Jeanine. '-)

>> I may dip deez toes in, but it sure will not be with strawberries. I
>> do not like 'em at all, they're like chewing sand. Funny thing may be
>> that I love blackberries. While others complain of the hard seeds, I
>> simply do not bite through them. Raspberries are a favorite,
>> boysenberries, too.
>>
>> Reminds me...I have not noticed any comment or resource for making
>> Lemon Marmalade. Why not? If it's because of the tartness, it seems
>> to me such could have many savory uses, such as tumbling crispy fried
>> chicken in it. Is it because of the acididity lemons impart?
>> ...PickyPonders

> Lemon marmalade is possible; I don't make marmalades, but Jorge does.
> He's made some killer grapefruit marmalade in his day, too.

Yes, but, "SOB", I'm not allowed to eat grapefruit, drink the juice,
etc. reacts with my blood pressure meds in a bad way. Loved the stuff
when I could still eat. Lots of our friends around here grow grapefruit,
Miz Anne deliberately eats it in front of me too.

Two years ago I made some killer lemon marmalade from our Ponderosa
lemon. My grands and great grands hauled it off home with them when I
wasn't watching. Once we move back to Tejas I'm planting the trees I
want and will hunt for ones big enough to bear fruit before I go into
the ground. Fruit trees and a Doyle thornless blackberry plant will
allow me to continue preserving stuff.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/22/2012 11:28 AM, PickyJeanineAlyse wrote:
> On Feb 21, 7:43 am, Melba's >
> wrote:
>> C'mon, Girlfriend!! Dip your toe in! Everybody starts with strawberry
>> jam. And if it flops, you just pour it on ice cream and call it a
>> sundae. You are an experienced cooker and baker. Know that you're not
>> going to kill anyone with a jar of less-than-perfect jam or jelly.
>> Gotta find you a local consultant, Miss Jeanine. '-)

> I may dip deez toes in, but it sure will not be with strawberries. I
> do not like 'em at all, they're like chewing sand. Funny thing may be
> that I love blackberries. While others complain of the hard seeds, I
> simply do not bite through them. Raspberries are a favorite,
> boysenberries, too.
>
> Reminds me...I have not noticed any comment or resource for making
> Lemon Marmalade. Why not? If it's because of the tartness, it seems
> to me such could have many savory uses, such as tumbling crispy fried
> chicken in it. Is it because of the acididity lemons impart?
> ...PickyPonders

Hey Picky, one of these puppies can strip the seeds right out of both
strawberries, and blackberries.

http://tinyurl.com/7xoelxx
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Feb 24, 2:09*pm, Shawn Martin > wrote:
> Hey Picky, one of these puppies can strip the seeds right out of both
> strawberries, and blackberries.

Thank you, Shawn. Such a gadget may be of good use when wanting
blackberries to make a jelly. I don't know that it is necessary to
soften, or to remove their seeds when preserving by any method...yet.
However, even after big sis' taught me to simply mash the berry with
my tongue against the roof of my mouth when eating strawberries to
avoid those sandy seeds, their taste does not at all appeal.
I have saved the link, though, and I thank you!
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2/24/2012 4:09 PM, Shawn Martin wrote:
> On 2/22/2012 11:28 AM, PickyJeanineAlyse wrote:
>> On Feb 21, 7:43 am, Melba's >
>> wrote:
>>> C'mon, Girlfriend!! Dip your toe in! Everybody starts with strawberry
>>> jam. And if it flops, you just pour it on ice cream and call it a
>>> sundae. You are an experienced cooker and baker. Know that you're not
>>> going to kill anyone with a jar of less-than-perfect jam or jelly.
>>> Gotta find you a local consultant, Miss Jeanine. '-)

>> I may dip deez toes in, but it sure will not be with strawberries. I
>> do not like 'em at all, they're like chewing sand. Funny thing may be
>> that I love blackberries. While others complain of the hard seeds, I
>> simply do not bite through them. Raspberries are a favorite,
>> boysenberries, too.
>>
>> Reminds me...I have not noticed any comment or resource for making
>> Lemon Marmalade. Why not? If it's because of the tartness, it seems
>> to me such could have many savory uses, such as tumbling crispy fried
>> chicken in it. Is it because of the acididity lemons impart?
>> ...PickyPonders

> Hey Picky, one of these puppies can strip the seeds right out of both
> strawberries, and blackberries.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7xoelxx

I've got one similar that I've had for years now. Made a few
modifications of my own, as in replacing the knurled pot metal threaded
cap for the handle with a nylon fitted real steel nut. Got tired of the
handle nut loosening up as I was putting stuff through the sieve.

Was in the local thrift store one day several years ago and found three
more screens that exactly fit my sieve, including a berry sieve. Takes
the seeds right out of the berry and dumps them in the compost bucket
while the good stuff goes into another bucket.

Have a large, manual juicer I got at a local bar supply place that was
going out of business. Base was pot metal so I filled it with two-part
resin and that made it more sturdy, has lasted several years now and has
pushed out a lot of lemon juice. I think if we get another lemon tree I
shall use my steam juicer and see what happens.

If you're going to be a serious food preserver you've got to have the
toys for it.

Speaking of toys, anyone interested in a "Little Chief" cream separator?
My FIL gave it to me about thirty-five years ago and he found it in the
Amish market at Mechanicsburg, MD. Bowls need re-tinning but otherwise
works well.

George, finished with custom cutting and sanding a beveled baseboard
corner next to the master shower. Thank goodness for Dremel tools.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> If you're going to be a serious food preserver you've got to have the
> toys for it.

Amen, Brudder!

--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/7/2012 9:33 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> George > wrote:
>
>> If you're going to be a serious food preserver you've got to have the
>> toys for it.

> Amen, Brudder!

My loverly wife says I am the king of food preserving toys, got a pantry
full of them. All useful at the time I need them. I think I will have
them buried with me when it's my time, none of my kids are interested. <G>

It's getting hotter here way to early, we put in the spring garden
yesterday, tomatoes, sweet chiles, eggplant, green beans, and some other
sort of red-striped bean Miz Anne found at Lowes. The early lettuce is
bigger than a mouse ear now and we actually salvaged a tomato plant from
last year, it's already blooming again. Got to check my jar and lid
inventory.