Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Yay!

I just bought a new freezer! Now I can take advantage of big sales, and
do a big freezing session every month without loading my littletiny
fridge's littletiny freezer to the max. Yay!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G1

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

remember to inventory as you put in and mark off as you take out, item, date
made and how many... helps not only in avoiding letting it get old, really
helps to grab it when making shopping lists as you know you already have xxx
in there, Lee, pleased for you
"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>I just bought a new freezer! Now I can take advantage of big sales, and do
>a big freezing session every month without loading my littletiny fridge's
>littletiny freezer to the max. Yay!
>
> http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G1
>
> Serene
> --
> http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/24/2011 8:17 AM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> I just bought a new freezer! Now I can take advantage of big sales, and
> do a big freezing session every month without loading my littletiny
> fridge's littletiny freezer to the max. Yay!
>
> http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G1
>

> Serene

That's a nice looking freezer Serene, I wouldn't be without one, ours
is, I think, a 15 cubic foot freezer. Right now it is jam packed full of
garden stuff and the one over the freezer is full of beef, pork, and
chicken. On top of that I found some NY strips and ribeyes in the used
meat bin today so have to vacuum seal them and find someplace to stash them.

I was totally shocked at seeing a $3.39 price tag on a loaf of
multigrain bread at the market. I am getting ready to make another loaf
of my own whole wheat and am thinking of buying some bulk rice, whole
wheat, bread, and all-purpose flour to have on hand. With drought, a La
Nina year, and inflation it might be a smart move. Brown rice was over
$3.00 for a two-lb bag, that's getting ridiculous. Or maybe it's because
I'm so old I can remember cheap prices.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bread prices (was Yay!)

On 9/24/2011 9:31 AM, George Shirley wrote:

> I was totally shocked at seeing a $3.39 price tag on a loaf of
> multigrain bread at the market. I am getting ready to make another loaf
> of my own whole wheat and am thinking of buying some bulk rice, whole
> wheat, bread, and all-purpose flour to have on hand. With drought, a La
> Nina year, and inflation it might be a smart move. Brown rice was over
> $3.00 for a two-lb bag, that's getting ridiculous. Or maybe it's because
> I'm so old I can remember cheap prices.

Yeah, I can remember bread at 15 cents a loaf in the 50s so it pains me
to see it at $3.50-$4.99 for a fairly ordinary loaf. I may have to
start baking sandwich bread again, too. Right now I make zucchini bread
or Grandma's citron-and-almond bread 2-4 loaves at a time for breakfast.
It keeps well in the freezer and is handy to have. Sandwich
bread may be next. Barb's state fair loaf sounds good.

Keep on baking and I hope your weather has cooled off enough to make it
sound reasonable to light the oven.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

i started wanting to bake bread for the health reasons, prices are keeping
me looking forward to it again, Lee
"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 9/24/2011 9:31 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>

>> I was totally shocked at seeing a $3.39 price tag on a loaf of
>> multigrain bread at the market. I am getting ready to make another loaf
>> of my own whole wheat and am thinking of buying some bulk rice, whole
>> wheat, bread, and all-purpose flour to have on hand. With drought, a La
>> Nina year, and inflation it might be a smart move. Brown rice was over
>> $3.00 for a two-lb bag, that's getting ridiculous. Or maybe it's because
>> I'm so old I can remember cheap prices.

> Yeah, I can remember bread at 15 cents a loaf in the 50s so it pains me to
> see it at $3.50-$4.99 for a fairly ordinary loaf. I may have to start
> baking sandwich bread again, too. Right now I make zucchini bread or
> Grandma's citron-and-almond bread 2-4 loaves at a time for breakfast. It
> keeps well in the freezer and is handy to have. Sandwich
> bread may be next. Barb's state fair loaf sounds good.
>
> Keep on baking and I hope your weather has cooled off enough to make it
> sound reasonable to light the oven.
>
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/24/2011 10:59 AM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 9/24/2011 9:31 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>

>> I was totally shocked at seeing a $3.39 price tag on a loaf of
>> multigrain bread at the market. I am getting ready to make another loaf
>> of my own whole wheat and am thinking of buying some bulk rice, whole
>> wheat, bread, and all-purpose flour to have on hand. With drought, a La
>> Nina year, and inflation it might be a smart move. Brown rice was over
>> $3.00 for a two-lb bag, that's getting ridiculous. Or maybe it's because
>> I'm so old I can remember cheap prices.

> Yeah, I can remember bread at 15 cents a loaf in the 50s so it pains me
> to see it at $3.50-$4.99 for a fairly ordinary loaf. I may have to start
> baking sandwich bread again, too. Right now I make zucchini bread or
> Grandma's citron-and-almond bread 2-4 loaves at a time for breakfast. It
> keeps well in the freezer and is handy to have. Sandwich
> bread may be next. Barb's state fair loaf sounds good.
>
> Keep on baking and I hope your weather has cooled off enough to make it
> sound reasonable to light the oven.
>
> gloria p

If we worried about that we would never use the oven. I make my bread
with a bread machine, much easier, makes a nice loaf, takes less time.
Our house is air conditioned about ten months out of the year, the other
two months we have to turn the heat on. Most of our problem is humidity,
today the humidity at 0700 was 100% while the temperature was in the low
sixties at that time. Right now it is well over 80F outside and still
have 100% humidity.

It's a big house, there's always someplace in it that is cool when I
have to use the oven. Plus we have a gas stove, required to have a stove
vent that is through the roof, ours will suck the hat off your head if
you're not careful. <G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 09:36:15 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>remember to inventory as you put in and mark off as you take out, item, date
>made and how many... helps not only in avoiding letting it get old, really
>helps to grab it when making shopping lists as you know you already have xxx
>in there, Lee, pleased for you

That only works if the other people who use the freezer are willing to
do that. At one time I had our chest freezer organized with like
things in a plastic basket. Now things just get tossed into it. I am
sure that we have a number of things in there, but they are probably
in the bottom. Since it needs to be defrosted maybe I can start
organizing again.

>"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>>I just bought a new freezer! Now I can take advantage of big sales, and do
>>a big freezing session every month without loading my littletiny fridge's
>>littletiny freezer to the max. Yay!
>>
>> http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G1
>>
>> Serene
>> --
>> http://www.momfoodproject.com

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

yes it does take cooperation, and it works so well to avoid waste, and
sitting at the table with the list makes putting together the grocry list
easier than running to it to check for xxx, Lee
"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 09:36:15 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>remember to inventory as you put in and mark off as you take out, item,
>>date
>>made and how many... helps not only in avoiding letting it get old, really
>>helps to grab it when making shopping lists as you know you already have
>>xxx
>>in there, Lee, pleased for you

> That only works if the other people who use the freezer are willing to
> do that. At one time I had our chest freezer organized with like
> things in a plastic basket. Now things just get tossed into it. I am
> sure that we have a number of things in there, but they are probably
> in the bottom. Since it needs to be defrosted maybe I can start
> organizing again.
>

>>"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>>>I just bought a new freezer! Now I can take advantage of big sales, and
>>>do
>>>a big freezing session every month without loading my littletiny fridge's
>>>littletiny freezer to the max. Yay!
>>>
>>> http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G1
>>>
>>> Serene
>>> --
>>> http://www.momfoodproject.com

> --
> Susan N.
>
> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Nad Nad is offline

The Cook > wrote:

> That only works if the other people who use the freezer are willing to
> do that. At one time I had our chest freezer organized with like
> things in a plastic basket. Now things just get tossed into it. I am
> sure that we have a number of things in there, but they are probably
> in the bottom. Since it needs to be defrosted maybe I can start
> organizing again.

I do not believe the new owner will have your organizational problem.

I have your problem in which I regret, you may not, my "Chest" freezer that
is located in my basement. It is next to impossible to organize it.
Eventually what you want is in the bottom.

They were smarter than us, they purchased an "Upright" freezer. I have had
an upright in the past, when I moved Years ago I left that upright freezer
and bought a chest freezer for the new home. It is much easier to organize
foods items in an Upright. Lots of shelves in an upright.

What I do is keep a small variety of foods in the small freezer section of
the kitchen refrigerator. When it needs restocking I end-up down stairs
emptying have the freezer to look for what I want and putting it all back.

--
Nad
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/24/2011 2:42 PM, Nad wrote:
> The > wrote:
>
>> That only works if the other people who use the freezer are willing to
>> do that. At one time I had our chest freezer organized with like
>> things in a plastic basket. Now things just get tossed into it. I am
>> sure that we have a number of things in there, but they are probably
>> in the bottom. Since it needs to be defrosted maybe I can start
>> organizing again.

> I do not believe the new owner will have your organizational problem.
>
> I have your problem in which I regret, you may not, my "Chest" freezer that
> is located in my basement. It is next to impossible to organize it.
> Eventually what you want is in the bottom.

Many years ago we had a 30 cubic foot chest freezer. Purchased some wire
baskets to go on the bottom of the freezer, it already had wire baskets
for the top row. That saved a lot of problems. I hunted and fished a lot
back then plus we had a few acres under cultivation all the time. Not to
mention, the cow and calf, milk and meat goats, chickens, ducks, pigs,
and a fish pond. The baskets helped us stay organized. We could slide a
top basket aside and reach the bottom ones. We also had a 15 cubic foot
upright, like you said, lots of shelves. We would often move things from
the chest storage to the upright. The top freezer on the refrigerator
was reserved for things we need on a daily/weekly basis.

Nowadays we have a fifteen cubic foot upright and the one over the
fridge, both are full at the moment but will empty out fairly quickly.

> They were smarter than us, they purchased an "Upright" freezer. I have had
> an upright in the past, when I moved Years ago I left that upright freezer
> and bought a chest freezer for the new home. It is much easier to organize
> foods items in an Upright. Lots of shelves in an upright.
>
> What I do is keep a small variety of foods in the small freezer section of
> the kitchen refrigerator. When it needs restocking I end-up down stairs
> emptying have the freezer to look for what I want and putting it all back.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Storrmmee wrote:
> i started wanting to bake bread for the health reasons, prices are keeping
> me looking forward to it again, Lee
> "gloria.p" > wrote in message
>> On 9/24/2011 9:31 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>>
>>> I was totally shocked at seeing a $3.39 price tag on a loaf of
>>> multigrain bread at the market. I am getting ready to make another loaf
>>> of my own whole wheat and am thinking of buying some bulk rice, whole
>>> wheat, bread, and all-purpose flour to have on hand. With drought, a La
>>> Nina year, and inflation it might be a smart move. Brown rice was over
>>> $3.00 for a two-lb bag, that's getting ridiculous. Or maybe it's because
>>> I'm so old I can remember cheap prices.

>> Yeah, I can remember bread at 15 cents a loaf in the 50s so it pains me to
>> see it at $3.50-$4.99 for a fairly ordinary loaf. I may have to start
>> baking sandwich bread again, too. Right now I make zucchini bread or
>> Grandma's citron-and-almond bread 2-4 loaves at a time for breakfast. It
>> keeps well in the freezer and is handy to have. Sandwich
>> bread may be next. Barb's state fair loaf sounds good.
>>
>> Keep on baking and I hope your weather has cooled off enough to make it
>> sound reasonable to light the oven.
>>
>> gloria p

I just got my sourdough starter out of the fridge a couple of days ago
to start baking my own bread again. I think the starter might be dead
(was left alone in there for 3 months) I fed it and not much has
happened. It smells like it might still be alive, but no bubbles yet.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

give it a bit, i know little about sours but boron does she is in the bread
group and rfc, i swear she knows everything, Lees
"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> i started wanting to bake bread for the health reasons, prices are
>> keeping me looking forward to it again, Lee

>>> Yeah, I can remember bread at 15 cents a loaf in the 50s so it pains me
>>> to see it at $3.50-$4.99 for a fairly ordinary loaf. I may have to
>>> start baking sandwich bread again, too. Right now I make zucchini bread
>>> or Grandma's citron-and-almond bread 2-4 loaves at a time for breakfast.
>>> It keeps well in the freezer and is handy to have. Sandwich
>>> bread may be next. Barb's state fair loaf sounds good.
>>>
>>> Keep on baking and I hope your weather has cooled off enough to make it
>>> sound reasonable to light the oven.
>>>
>>> gloria p

> I just got my sourdough starter out of the fridge a couple of days ago to
> start baking my own bread again. I think the starter might be dead (was
> left alone in there for 3 months) I fed it and not much has happened. It
> smells like it might still be alive, but no bubbles yet.
>
> -Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Storrmmee wrote:
> give it a bit, i know little about sours but boron does she is in the bread
> group and rfc, i swear she knows everything, Lees

Even if it is dead, it'll start growing again eventually -- from the
critters in the rye flour that I sometimes feed it with. (yeast and
bacteria critters, not, you know, moth and weevil critters) ;-)

BTW, I remember 3 loaves of bread for $1, and that was big loaves of
decent white bread. Mrs. Baird's, I think. Roman Meal™ cost a little
more. There weren't a lot of choices.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

since i never met bread i didn't like i often got aldi bread for 24 cents,
now i think that loaf is almost a dollar but haven't been there in a while,
Lee
"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> give it a bit, i know little about sours but boron does she is in the
>> bread group and rfc, i swear she knows everything, Lees

> Even if it is dead, it'll start growing again eventually -- from the
> critters in the rye flour that I sometimes feed it with. (yeast and
> bacteria critters, not, you know, moth and weevil critters) ;-)
>
> BTW, I remember 3 loaves of bread for $1, and that was big loaves of
> decent white bread. Mrs. Baird's, I think. Roman Meal™ cost a little
> more. There weren't a lot of choices.
>
> -Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/24/2011 6:16 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> give it a bit, i know little about sours but boron does she is in the
>> bread group and rfc, i swear she knows everything, Lees

> Even if it is dead, it'll start growing again eventually -- from the
> critters in the rye flour that I sometimes feed it with. (yeast and
> bacteria critters, not, you know, moth and weevil critters) ;-)
>
> BTW, I remember 3 loaves of bread for $1, and that was big loaves of
> decent white bread. Mrs. Baird's, I think. Roman Meal™ cost a little
> more. There weren't a lot of choices.
>
> -Bob

You're right. If you wanted good or what's now called "artisan" bread,
you had to go to an ethnic bakery. There were lots of them,
hole-in-the-wall places. I still can't believe the variety of pastries
they made. Those poor bakers must have worked 24 hours a day.

gloria

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/24/2011 7:16 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> give it a bit, i know little about sours but boron does she is in the
>> bread group and rfc, i swear she knows everything, Lees

> Even if it is dead, it'll start growing again eventually -- from the
> critters in the rye flour that I sometimes feed it with. (yeast and
> bacteria critters, not, you know, moth and weevil critters) ;-)

Think of them as extra protein. <G>

> BTW, I remember 3 loaves of bread for $1, and that was big loaves of
> decent white bread. Mrs. Baird's, I think. Roman Meal™ cost a little
> more. There weren't a lot of choices.
>
> -Bob

I'm a good bit older than you Bob and I can remember bread that was
about fifteen cents a loaf or less. When Miz Anne and I married
fifty-one years ago we could go to the supermarket and fill two carts
completely full of food for about fifty bucks. I was making $3.50 an
hour back then with lots of overtime, shift differential, and holiday
pay. We thought we were really well off if we had thirty cents left over
after we paid the bills.

I hit the used bread store down the street frequently now. Generally on
a Monday I can buy Nature's Own and other brands of bread for roughly a
buck a loaf. Buy two or three at a time and freeze them. Beats paying
over three bucks for a staple.

I made a loaf of whole wheat, totally whole wheat, no bread flour in it
at all. Came out great, will be making that recipe again in the bread
machine. One loaf is to much for the two of us so I cut them in half,
bag, and freeze half of it. If it don't the loaf will mold, even in a
bag, as our humidity lately has been somewhere between 80 and 100% most
of the time.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/24/2011 8:30 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 9/24/2011 6:16 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> Storrmmee wrote:
>>> give it a bit, i know little about sours but boron does she is in the
>>> bread group and rfc, i swear she knows everything, Lees

>> Even if it is dead, it'll start growing again eventually -- from the
>> critters in the rye flour that I sometimes feed it with. (yeast and
>> bacteria critters, not, you know, moth and weevil critters) ;-)
>>
>> BTW, I remember 3 loaves of bread for $1, and that was big loaves of
>> decent white bread. Mrs. Baird's, I think. Roman Meal™ cost a little
>> more. There weren't a lot of choices.
>>
>> -Bob

> You're right. If you wanted good or what's now called "artisan" bread,
> you had to go to an ethnic bakery. There were lots of them,
> hole-in-the-wall places. I still can't believe the variety of pastries
> they made. Those poor bakers must have worked 24 hours a day.
>
> gloria

One I went to in my hometown started baking at about 2 am each day
except Sunday when they were closed. The bake shop generally closed
about 3 pm each day. A twelve-hour day of baking never appealed to me.

During WWII my mother's "war job" was working in a bakery in Beaumont,
TX. She went to work at 2 pm and we picked her up each night at 10 pm.
She always brought a fresh loaf of bread out with her and we would put a
stick of margarine inside the loaf and then eat it on the way home. Best
bread in the world back then. Of course I was very small but my two
elder sisters could eat half the loaf quickly. That bakery finally
closed in the mid-sixties, bought out by a chain who trucked bread in
from Houston. Not the same bread either.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 09/24/2011 07:36 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> remember to inventory as you put in and mark off as you take out, item, date
> made and how many... helps not only in avoiding letting it get old, really
> helps to grab it when making shopping lists as you know you already have xxx
> in there,

It's a good idea; not sure I can get the locusts to comply. ;-)

(Kidding; I plan to actually forbid them from going in the freezer. I'll
put stuff they're allowed to use into the smaller one above the fridge.)

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

and put that list on the front of the frig... for two reasons...

first they can decide what they want out before opening and scavenging thus
thawing half of it, and

second, about the third time they comply scrutinize the list, and open to
search and its not there they "MIGHT" get the value of marking it off...
well it sounds good anyway.

Lee
"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> On 09/24/2011 07:36 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> remember to inventory as you put in and mark off as you take out, item,
>> date
>> made and how many... helps not only in avoiding letting it get old,
>> really
>> helps to grab it when making shopping lists as you know you already have
>> xxx
>> in there,

> It's a good idea; not sure I can get the locusts to comply. ;-)
>
> (Kidding; I plan to actually forbid them from going in the freezer. I'll
> put stuff they're allowed to use into the smaller one above the fridge.)
>
> Serene
> --
> http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 09/25/2011 10:35 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> and put that list on the front of the frig... for two reasons...
>
> first they can decide what they want out before opening and scavenging thus
> thawing half of it, and
>
> second, about the third time they comply scrutinize the list, and open to
> search and its not there they "MIGHT" get the value of marking it off...
> well it sounds good anyway.

No, I was serious. They're not allowed in the new freezer. It even has a
lock on it. :-)

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

lol that works too, Lee
"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> On 09/25/2011 10:35 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> and put that list on the front of the frig... for two reasons...
>>
>> first they can decide what they want out before opening and scavenging
>> thus
>> thawing half of it, and
>>
>> second, about the third time they comply scrutinize the list, and open to
>> search and its not there they "MIGHT" get the value of marking it off...
>> well it sounds good anyway.

> No, I was serious. They're not allowed in the new freezer. It even has a
> lock on it. :-)
>
> Serene
> --
> http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> No, I was serious. They're not allowed in the new freezer. It even has a
> lock on it. :-)

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view) I'm really the
only one who cooks in the house. My Beloved just stands back and lets
me organize everything. Which suits me just fine. :-)

I second the inventory list. I finally did that this spring and it
really makes a difference.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/25/2011 11:53 AM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> On 09/24/2011 07:36 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> remember to inventory as you put in and mark off as you take out,
>> item, date
>> made and how many... helps not only in avoiding letting it get old,
>> really
>> helps to grab it when making shopping lists as you know you already
>> have xxx
>> in there,

> It's a good idea; not sure I can get the locusts to comply. ;-)
>
> (Kidding; I plan to actually forbid them from going in the freezer. I'll
> put stuff they're allowed to use into the smaller one above the fridge.)
>
> Serene

When our kids were small and curious our freezers had keys, we kept them
locked. We both had these terrible visions of one falling in the chest
freezer and the lid dropping and latching them in. When they were teens
we had thoughts of putting them in the freezer until they grew up. Now
that they're both in their late fifties we rather enjoy them all grown
up and kids of their own to torment them.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I am not sure if i like the fact we eat more variety or if we waste less to
freezer burn, or if the quickness of the grocery list is my favorite... and
the energy savings of not standing there with it open for eons helps too,
Lee
"Beti" > wrote in message
>> No, I was serious. They're not allowed in the new freezer. It even has a
>> lock on it. :-)

> Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view) I'm really the
> only one who cooks in the house. My Beloved just stands back and lets
> me organize everything. Which suits me just fine. :-)
>
> I second the inventory list. I finally did that this spring and it
> really makes a difference.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/25/2011 1:47 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> I am not sure if i like the fact we eat more variety or if we waste less to
> freezer burn, or if the quickness of the grocery list is my favorite... and
> the energy savings of not standing there with it open for eons helps too,
> Lee
> > wrote in message
>>> No, I was serious. They're not allowed in the new freezer. It even has a
>>> lock on it. :-)

>> Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view) I'm really the
>> only one who cooks in the house. My Beloved just stands back and lets
>> me organize everything. Which suits me just fine. :-)
>>
>> I second the inventory list. I finally did that this spring and it
>> really makes a difference.

We quit experiencing freezer burn when we bought our first FoodSaver
some 20 years ago. I put meat, fruit, veggies, cooked meals, you name
it, in the freezer and it comes out as good as new. I don't own stock in
Tilia but sometimes wish I did.

My grocery list is computer generated and goes aisle by aisle at the
Kroger where I shop. Saves me time plus gives me a little extra to scout
for new stuff. I know the meat market and produce managers and they give
me some specials occasionally. They both know I can food and make
jellies and jams. The produce manager will tell me when certain fruits
are going on sale as they are getting older, most people won't buy fruit
with a spot on it unless they're home preservers. I can get a few lbs of
fruit in a net bag for a dollar when it is going "off." The butcher told
me the days and times when meat that is close to it's "sell by" date and
I can be there to dive into the used meat bin and stock up for half
price. Yesterday I got six ribeyes and six NY strips for about half
price. They were vacuum bagged, dated and identified, and into the
freezer as soon as I got home.

My Beloved started teaching again some years ago, about the time I
started working from home instead of an office somewhere. I do the
shopping, cooking, most of the home food preserving, and a good bit of
the housekeeping. Now that she is retired she's underfoot all the time
and in my way. I get upset when she dirties my kitchen or leave dishes
in the sink instead of putting them in the dishwasher. I even made a
magnetic sign that says "Clean" on one side and "Dirty" on the other.
I'm thinking of trying to get her another job. <G>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I also keep an inventory list of my canned goods....too many times I saw
sales and bought then found I already had those items......Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

my mom said "i married him for better or worse, but NOT for lunch every day"
Lees
"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 9/25/2011 1:47 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> I am not sure if i like the fact we eat more variety or if we waste less
>> freezer burn, or if the quickness of the grocery list is my favorite...
>> and
>> the energy savings of not standing there with it open for eons helps too,
>>>
>>> Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view) I'm really the
>>> only one who cooks in the house. My Beloved just stands back and lets
>>> me organize everything. Which suits me just fine. :-)
>>>
>>> I second the inventory list. I finally did that this spring and it
>>> really makes a difference.

> We quit experiencing freezer burn when we bought our first FoodSaver some
> 20 years ago. I put meat, fruit, veggies, cooked meals, you name it, in
> the freezer and it comes out as good as new. I don't own stock in Tilia
> but sometimes wish I did.
>
> My grocery list is computer generated and goes aisle by aisle at the
> Kroger where I shop. Saves me time plus gives me a little extra to scout
> for new stuff. I know the meat market and produce managers and they give
> me some specials occasionally. They both know I can food and make jellies
> and jams. The produce manager will tell me when certain fruits are going
> on sale as they are getting older, most people won't buy fruit with a spot
> on it unless they're home preservers. I can get a few lbs of fruit in a
> net bag for a dollar when it is going "off." The butcher told me the days
> and times when meat that is close to it's "sell by" date and I can be
> there to dive into the used meat bin and stock up for half price.
> Yesterday I got six ribeyes and six NY strips for about half price. They
> were vacuum bagged, dated and identified, and into the freezer as soon as
> I got home.
>
> My Beloved started teaching again some years ago, about the time I started
> working from home instead of an office somewhere. I do the shopping,
> cooking, most of the home food preserving, and a good bit of the
> housekeeping. Now that she is retired she's underfoot all the time and in
> my way. I get upset when she dirties my kitchen or leave dishes in the
> sink instead of putting them in the dishwasher. I even made a magnetic
> sign that says "Clean" on one side and "Dirty" on the other. I'm thinking
> of trying to get her another job. <G>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> give it a bit, i know little about sours but boron does she is in the
>> bread group and rfc, i swear she knows everything, Lees

> Even if it is dead, it'll start growing again eventually -- from the
> critters in the rye flour that I sometimes feed it with. (yeast and
> bacteria critters, not, you know, moth and weevil critters) ;-)
>
> BTW, I remember 3 loaves of bread for $1, and that was big loaves of
> decent white bread. Mrs. Baird's, I think. Roman Meal™ cost a little
> more. There weren't a lot of choices.

There will be now ... in your kitchen! Much better too
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> i started wanting to bake bread for the health reasons, prices are
>> keeping me looking forward to it again, Lee

>>> Yeah, I can remember bread at 15 cents a loaf in the 50s so it pains me
>>> to see it at $3.50-$4.99 for a fairly ordinary loaf. I may have to
>>> start baking sandwich bread again, too. Right now I make zucchini bread
>>> or Grandma's citron-and-almond bread 2-4 loaves at a time for breakfast.
>>> It keeps well in the freezer and is handy to have. Sandwich
>>> bread may be next. Barb's state fair loaf sounds good.
>>>
>>> Keep on baking and I hope your weather has cooled off enough to make it
>>> sound reasonable to light the oven.
>>>
>>> gloria p

> I just got my sourdough starter out of the fridge a couple of days ago to
> start baking my own bread again. I think the starter might be dead (was
> left alone in there for 3 months) I fed it and not much has happened. It
> smells like it might still be alive, but no bubbles yet.

Give it time Just keep feeding it until it does bubble.
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, gloria.p
> wrote:

> Yeah, I can remember bread at 15 cents a loaf in the 50s so it pains me
> to see it at $3.50-$4.99 for a fairly ordinary loaf.

I remember earning $0.65/hr. So a loaf of bread took about 15 minutes
to earn.

Average wage here is around $16/hr, and a commercial whole wheat loaf
is about $2.50.

Seems to me the price of bread has gone down...

--
Woodworking links and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> In >, gloria.p
> > wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I can remember bread at 15 cents a loaf in the 50s so it pains me
>> to see it at $3.50-$4.99 for a fairly ordinary loaf.

> I remember earning $0.65/hr. So a loaf of bread took about 15 minutes
> to earn.
>
> Average wage here is around $16/hr, and a commercial whole wheat loaf
> is about $2.50.
>
> Seems to me the price of bread has gone down...

It's all relative. That bread here is $3.49-4.99 and I am retired on a
fixed income that's less than a $6/hr. equivalent.

Inflation is a killer when you think you have saved more than enough for
retirement.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> In >, gloria.p
> > wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I can remember bread at 15 cents a loaf in the 50s so it pains me
>> to see it at $3.50-$4.99 for a fairly ordinary loaf.

> I remember earning $0.65/hr. So a loaf of bread took about 15 minutes
> to earn.
>
> Average wage here is around $16/hr, and a commercial whole wheat loaf
> is about $2.50.
>
> Seems to me the price of bread has gone down...

Average wage around here is around $21 to $25 an hour, lots of heavy
industry, commercial whole wheat loaf is now at $3.39. Of course we have
no large bakeries here so most of the bread is coming from Houston or
Baton Rouge, transportation adds to the cost nowadays.

I started at twelve years of age pumping gas, changing oil, greasing
cars, stocking shelves in the grocery, etc. for twenty-five cents an
hour and I thought I was rich. Plus I got a discount on gas for my car.
Yes, I had a "farm" license when I was twelve and at fourteen got my
regular operator's license. That's when the gubmit felt that if you were
old enough to own a car you should be able to drive it. Of course, as a
minor, the car was in my Mom's name with me noted as the driver as Mom
no longer drove by then. I often think I was very lucky to be born when
I was. Which was a very long time ago. <G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/25/2011 5:22 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 9/25/2011 3:45 PM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
>> In >, gloria.p
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, I can remember bread at 15 cents a loaf in the 50s so it pains me
>>> to see it at $3.50-$4.99 for a fairly ordinary loaf.

>> I remember earning $0.65/hr. So a loaf of bread took about 15 minutes
>> to earn.
>>
>> Average wage here is around $16/hr, and a commercial whole wheat loaf
>> is about $2.50.
>>
>> Seems to me the price of bread has gone down...
>>

> It's all relative. That bread here is $3.49-4.99 and I am retired on a
> fixed income that's less than a $6/hr. equivalent.
>
> Inflation is a killer when you think you have saved more than enough for
> retirement.
>
> gloria p

That's why I still do tech writing Gloria, can do it from home and send
it to the client by email. Beats going out to work. Miz Anne is now
retired from teaching and is paying more attention to her art, big sale
and show coming up next month at the local country club. People that can
afford that place should be able to cough up some good money for fine art.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 09/25/2011 11:42 AM, Beti wrote:
>> No, I was serious. They're not allowed in the new freezer. It even has a
>> lock on it. :-)

> Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view) I'm really the
> only one who cooks in the house. My Beloved just stands back and lets
> me organize everything. Which suits me just fine. :-)
>
> I second the inventory list. I finally did that this spring and it
> really makes a difference.

Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to do that. I've never done it
before, but I'll give it a try.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 09/25/2011 11:47 AM, George Shirley wrote:

> When our kids were small and curious our freezers had keys, we kept them
> locked. We both had these terrible visions of one falling in the chest
> freezer and the lid dropping and latching them in. When they were teens
> we had thoughts of putting them in the freezer until they grew up. Now
> that they're both in their late fifties we rather enjoy them all grown
> up and kids of their own to torment them.

My mom locked the freezer when we were kids, but we all knew how to get
into it.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I am really curious if it works for you, or if it just works for those of us
with a touch of ocd, lol, Lees
"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> On 09/25/2011 11:42 AM, Beti wrote:
>>> No, I was serious. They're not allowed in the new freezer. It even has a
>>> lock on it. :-)

>> Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view) I'm really the
>> only one who cooks in the house. My Beloved just stands back and lets
>> me organize everything. Which suits me just fine. :-)
>>
>> I second the inventory list. I finally did that this spring and it
>> really makes a difference.

> Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to do that. I've never done it
> before, but I'll give it a try.
>
> Serene
>
> --
> http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 09/26/2011 05:34 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> I am really curious if it works for you, or if it just works for those of us
> with a touch of ocd, lol, Lees

:-) Right now, all that's in there is 20 lbs. of flour and a couple
packages of pork belly, but I did make a sign and put it on the freezer.
It's a start. :-)

Saturday, I'm doing my big monthly shopping trip (usually Costco and
Grocery Outlet, but also Safeway if there's a big sale or I have the
right coupons) and it will be fuller after that. :-)

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

another added benifit is a reminder of when you put in bulk items, and for
us a reminder the bulk item is in fact in there lurking, lol, Lee
"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> On 09/26/2011 05:34 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> I am really curious if it works for you, or if it just works for those of
>> us
>> with a touch of ocd, lol, Lees

> :-) Right now, all that's in there is 20 lbs. of flour and a couple
> packages of pork belly, but I did make a sign and put it on the freezer.
> It's a start. :-)
>
> Saturday, I'm doing my big monthly shopping trip (usually Costco and
> Grocery Outlet, but also Safeway if there's a big sale or I have the right
> coupons) and it will be fuller after that. :-)
>
> Serene
>
> --
> http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/25/2011 8:54 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> On 09/25/2011 11:42 AM, Beti wrote:
>>> No, I was serious. They're not allowed in the new freezer. It even has a
>>> lock on it. :-)

>> Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view) I'm really the
>> only one who cooks in the house. My Beloved just stands back and lets
>> me organize everything. Which suits me just fine. :-)
>>
>> I second the inventory list. I finally did that this spring and it
>> really makes a difference.

> Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to do that. I've never done it
> before, but I'll give it a try.
>
> Serene

It works to a certain extent in our home, I follow the list, wife
doesn't. So, periodically I re-inventory both freezers and the pantry.
We live in hurricane territory so have extra stocks of food that doesn't
need a lot of preparation. Starting in December we will eat those up and
then restock next June.

I'm not OCD Lee, just like to know what I have on hand at any given
time. When She Who Must Be Obeyed was in charge of the kitchen I would
sometimes find three or four boxes of the same item in the pantry, she
didn't use a shopping list. My shopping list is set up each aisle at the
local Kroger store and has the named items that we use the most plus
blank spaces for occasional use items. Computer generated and
religiously followed. When she goes with me to shop, a rare thing, I
find stuff that wasn't on my list in the basket, she is an impulse
shopper. If I have coupon for an item that is marked on the list with a
"C." Since Kroger puts special coupons I have selected online on my
shopper card I have to double check before I go shopping.

Well, maybe I am OCD after all. <G>

Do any of you inventory your home preserved goodies? I do, way to many
descendants not to keep track.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/25/2011 10:12 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> On 09/25/2011 11:47 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>
>> When our kids were small and curious our freezers had keys, we kept them
>> locked. We both had these terrible visions of one falling in the chest
>> freezer and the lid dropping and latching them in. When they were teens
>> we had thoughts of putting them in the freezer until they grew up. Now
>> that they're both in their late fifties we rather enjoy them all grown
>> up and kids of their own to torment them.

> My mom locked the freezer when we were kids, but we all knew how to get
> into it.
>
> Serene

Whoops! Our kids are in their late forties. If they were in their
fifties they would be illegitimate as we have only been married fifty
years. <G>