Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Yay!

lol, ocd isn't a bad thing if its in the context of prepareing and safety,
most things the medical world calls mental illness or worse, is on a bell
curve, and in small doses is a good thing for survival... on the extreme end
is that tv show monk, on the other end is checking doors/windows once before
leaving the house, Lee
"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. com...

>>> Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view) I'm really the
>>> only one who cooks in the house. My Beloved just stands back and lets
>>> me organize everything. Which suits me just fine. :-)
>>>
>>> I second the inventory list. I finally did that this spring and it
>>> really makes a difference.

>> Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to do that. I've never done it
>> before, but I'll give it a try.
>>
>> Serene
>>

> It works to a certain extent in our home, I follow the list, wife doesn't.
> So, periodically I re-inventory both freezers and the pantry. We live in
> hurricane territory so have extra stocks of food that doesn't need a lot
> of preparation. Starting in December we will eat those up and then restock
> next June.
>
> I'm not OCD Lee, just like to know what I have on hand at any given time.
> When She Who Must Be Obeyed was in charge of the kitchen I would sometimes
> find three or four boxes of the same item in the pantry, she didn't use a
> shopping list. My shopping list is set up each aisle at the local Kroger
> store and has the named items that we use the most plus blank spaces for
> occasional use items. Computer generated and religiously followed. When
> she goes with me to shop, a rare thing, I find stuff that wasn't on my
> list in the basket, she is an impulse shopper. If I have coupon for an
> item that is marked on the list with a "C." Since Kroger puts special
> coupons I have selected online on my shopper card I have to double check
> before I go shopping.
>
> Well, maybe I am OCD after all. <G>
>
> Do any of you inventory your home preserved goodies? I do, way to many
> descendants not to keep track.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 09/28/2011 03:21 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> another added benifit is a reminder of when you put in bulk items, and for
> us a reminder the bulk item is in fact in there lurking, lol, Lee

Yeah. I'll definitely be happy to know how much, for example, oatmeal I
have on hand.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene Vannoy View Post
I just bought a new freezer! Now I can take advantage of big sales, and
do a big freezing session every month without loading my littletiny
fridge's littletiny freezer to the max. Yay!

Serene
That's really good to hear, Serene! What are you gonna do with it BTW? Just curious...
Posted to rec.food.preserving

before we started it i can't tell you how much sage came into our house...
we would be at the store, wanting dressing/turkey or chicken... and ok lets
get one just incase... good thing we like it, lol, Lee
"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> On 09/28/2011 03:21 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> another added benifit is a reminder of when you put in bulk items, and
>> for
>> us a reminder the bulk item is in fact in there lurking, lol, Lee

> Yeah. I'll definitely be happy to know how much, for example, oatmeal I
> have on hand.
>
> Serene
>
> --
> http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Yes I keep an inventory list of the home canned items becaue sometimes I
give some as gifts and I want to be sure there are some left for
me....Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/28/2011 8:37 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> lol, ocd isn't a bad thing if its in the context of prepareing and safety,
> most things the medical world calls mental illness or worse, is on a bell
> curve, and in small doses is a good thing for survival... on the extreme end
> is that tv show monk, on the other end is checking doors/windows once before
> leaving the house, Lee

Yeah, know a lot about that. My Mom was bipolar to the nth degree, my
best friends middle son is OCD but now has it under control. We see lots
of folks with varying degrees of mental illness as one of my former
clients handled a lot of them in a workshop. Miz Anne's best friend has
a nearly fifty-year old son who is paranoid schizophrenic and won't take
the meds that help him as "them make me feel funny." Brilliant man but
so sad, in and out of the mental hospitals when he goes over the edge.
Latest deal was he believes he is God Incarnate. Poor soul. He does love
my jellies and jams though. Send some to him every once in awhile via
his Mom.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Congrats Serene!!! You are gunna love having it. It'll be full before
you know it. Both of my small chest freezers and my big drawer freezer
connected to the fridge are groaning they are so full. Not complaining
though, thankful for full freezers. Need to get some fruit out of them
this weekend and do some canning.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

p/s is one of the saddest of all, because the bigest hold up is not wnting
to take the meds. Lee
"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 9/28/2011 8:37 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> lol, ocd isn't a bad thing if its in the context of prepareing and
>> safety,
>> most things the medical world calls mental illness or worse, is on a bell
>> curve, and in small doses is a good thing for survival... on the extreme
>> end
>> is that tv show monk, on the other end is checking doors/windows once
>> before
>> leaving the house, Lee

> Yeah, know a lot about that. My Mom was bipolar to the nth degree, my best
> friends middle son is OCD but now has it under control. We see lots of
> folks with varying degrees of mental illness as one of my former clients
> handled a lot of them in a workshop. Miz Anne's best friend has a nearly
> fifty-year old son who is paranoid schizophrenic and won't take the meds
> that help him as "them make me feel funny." Brilliant man but so sad, in
> and out of the mental hospitals when he goes over the edge. Latest deal
> was he believes he is God Incarnate. Poor soul. He does love my jellies
> and jams though. Send some to him every once in awhile via his Mom.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/28/2011 8:34 PM, Mimi wrote:
> Congrats Serene!!! You are gunna love having it. It'll be full before
> you know it. Both of my small chest freezers and my big drawer freezer
> connected to the fridge are groaning they are so full. Not complaining
> though, thankful for full freezers. Need to get some fruit out of them
> this weekend and do some canning.

Okay Mimi, what are you canning now? Curious minds and all that.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 09/28/2011 07:21 AM, haleymcadams1 wrote:
> Serene Vannoy;1664060 Wrote:
>> I just bought a new freezer! Now I can take advantage of big sales, and
>>
>> do a big freezing session every month without loading my littletiny
>> fridge's littletiny freezer to the max. Yay!
>>
>> Serene
>>

> That's really good to hear, Serene! What are you gonna do with it BTW?
> Just curious...

Well, today, I'm renting a car (we don't own one) and going to Costco,
Grocery Outlet, and the produce store. I'm buying a bunch of food, and
then tomorrow, I'm making a month or so's worth of dinners to put into
the freezer, because I've gone back to school, and it really helped this
month to have the frozen items for my partner and kid to just pop into
the oven or microwave if I was not up to cooking (and some of the items
were also great for lunches, like the burritos).

What I ended up with last month:

27 bean burritos
8 quarts (2 gallons) potato soup
29 twice-baked potato halves (I made 15 large potatoes; one half broke)
Around 100 chicken potstickers (made with home-ground chicken thigh meat)
4 quarter-pound burgers made from the leftover potsticker meat (so
they've got scallions and ginger and garlic and stuff in them)
8 or 9 baked chicken thighs
4 or so frozen plain chicken thighs
a bag each of skin/fat for schmaltz, veggie scraps for stock, and
chicken bones for stock
2 quarts of really good refried beans (would've made more burritos, but
I'd only bought 30 tortillas, and three tore because they got too dry)
A quart of leftover kimchi soup (that's what we had for lunch)

All that's left from last month's big cook is a couple twice-baked
potatoes and 2 quarts of potato soup.

This month, the plan is:

Bean burritos (a favorite; I'm going to make more like 4 dozen this time)
Chicken enchiladas
4 dozen oatmeal cookies (the kid's request)
Tuna casserole
Chicken pot pies
A couple quarts of Kim chi (fermented Korean cabbage thing; I made some
last month and we really liked it; it lasted around 2 weeks)
Pork potstickers

Today, I'll do the shopping; tomorrow the cooking.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 09/28/2011 06:34 PM, Mimi wrote:
> Congrats Serene!!! You are gunna love having it. It'll be full before
> you know it. Both of my small chest freezers and my big drawer freezer
> connected to the fridge are groaning they are so full. Not complaining
> though, thankful for full freezers. Need to get some fruit out of them
> this weekend and do some canning.

:-) I'm hoping that the fact that we only do a big shopping trip once a
month (we don't have a car) will keep me from overfilling it. Hoping, I
said. We'll see how it really goes. :-)

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

i want updates!!! Lee
"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> On 09/28/2011 07:21 AM, haleymcadams1 wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy;1664060 Wrote:
>>> I just bought a new freezer! Now I can take advantage of big sales, and
>>>
>>> do a big freezing session every month without loading my littletiny
>>> fridge's littletiny freezer to the max. Yay!
>>>
>>> Serene
>>>

>> That's really good to hear, Serene! What are you gonna do with it BTW?
>> Just curious...

> Well, today, I'm renting a car (we don't own one) and going to Costco,
> Grocery Outlet, and the produce store. I'm buying a bunch of food, and
> then tomorrow, I'm making a month or so's worth of dinners to put into the
> freezer, because I've gone back to school, and it really helped this month
> to have the frozen items for my partner and kid to just pop into the oven
> or microwave if I was not up to cooking (and some of the items were also
> great for lunches, like the burritos).
>
> What I ended up with last month:
>
> 27 bean burritos
> 8 quarts (2 gallons) potato soup
> 29 twice-baked potato halves (I made 15 large potatoes; one half broke)
> Around 100 chicken potstickers (made with home-ground chicken thigh meat)
> 4 quarter-pound burgers made from the leftover potsticker meat (so they've
> got scallions and ginger and garlic and stuff in them)
> 8 or 9 baked chicken thighs
> 4 or so frozen plain chicken thighs
> a bag each of skin/fat for schmaltz, veggie scraps for stock, and chicken
> bones for stock
> 2 quarts of really good refried beans (would've made more burritos, but
> I'd only bought 30 tortillas, and three tore because they got too dry)
> A quart of leftover kimchi soup (that's what we had for lunch)
>
> All that's left from last month's big cook is a couple twice-baked
> potatoes and 2 quarts of potato soup.
>
> This month, the plan is:
>
> Bean burritos (a favorite; I'm going to make more like 4 dozen this time)
> Chicken enchiladas
> 4 dozen oatmeal cookies (the kid's request)
> Tuna casserole
> Chicken pot pies
> A couple quarts of Kim chi (fermented Korean cabbage thing; I made some
> last month and we really liked it; it lasted around 2 weeks)
> Pork potstickers
>
> Today, I'll do the shopping; tomorrow the cooking.
>
> Serene
> --
> http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

<snip> Okay Mimi, what are you canning now? Curious minds and all
that. <snip>

Actually George, <hanging my head in shame> I've been so busy, haven't
had time to do any canning lately--unless you count making pesto and
freezing it??? I planted a lot of basil and it's still going even
without much rain. Between visiting grandsons every chance we get,
taking fuzzies to the vet and work, I just haven't had the time
lately. I will just have to bite the bullet and make the time.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/24/2011 8:38 PM, Mimi wrote:
> <snip> Okay Mimi, what are you canning now? Curious minds and all
> that.<snip>
>
> Actually George,<hanging my head in shame> I've been so busy, haven't
> had time to do any canning lately--unless you count making pesto and
> freezing it??? I planted a lot of basil and it's still going even
> without much rain. Between visiting grandsons every chance we get,
> taking fuzzies to the vet and work, I just haven't had the time
> lately. I will just have to bite the bullet and make the time.

Don't be ashamed, we're not canning much this year either. What with the
drought the gardens and fruit trees have failed. With an incipient move
back to Texas we are busy painting, fixing up, and generally trying to
get this old house fixed up to sell. You can't hire a contractor for any
amount of money as they only want to work new construction, of which
there is not much of around here.

There is some hope for the local economy as at least two large companies
are breaking ground for about 3 billion bucks in new construction and a
number of smaller companies are doing the same to add another 2 billion
to the local pot. Fortunately we are both retired now and semi-healthy
so we're doing the work. Miz Anne still gets out to work the vegetable
garden and we do appear to have a bumper crop of kumquats growing. The
only fruit the squirrels don't even try to eat.

We planted little basil this year but had a lot come up volunteer from
last years crop, some of which we allowed to go to seed. I lost my leaf
or cutting celery this year to drought and it had been reseeding and
growing for at least fifteen years. The bay tree is growing by leaps and
bounds so if anyone needs bay leaves drop me an email with a mailing
address and I will dehydrate some to send out.

I harvest about a half bushel of sassafras leaves this year and turned
them into gumbo file' that we gave to our Cajun friends locally. You
would think I gifted them lots of money. A very small jar lasts us about
two years but our friends use it in great heaps. We just don't eat that
much gumbo ourselves.

By tomorrow noon we will have the dining room ready to put on primer and
then paint. I purchased a wallpaper steamer and discovered how easy it
is to take wallpaper off. Then searched the net for an easy way to get
the !@#$% glue off the wall that the original builder didn't bother to
skim coat. Used about 8 ounces of cheap liquid fabric softener to 24
ounces of tap water, sprayed it on lightly, let sit for two minutes and
then used one of those Scotch brand sponges with the scratchy side to
take it off. Followed that with a plastic scraper that took even more
off and tomorrow I will lightly sand the rest, probably take about an
hour (it's a small dining room) and then vacuum then paint.

For the first time in years I've been going up and down a step ladder,
first day my legs hurt something awful but I'm used to it now. Do okay
as long as I don't look up then my sense of balance goes. Doctor says it
has to do with the position of the lesions in my brain from strokes in
2005. I learn quickly so I sort of look up in slow steps, beats hitting
the floor several times. <G>

I'm monitoring the kumquat crop carefully, adding water as necessary to
plump them up. We're about out of kumquat marmalade and the descendants
are getting hungry again.

We hope all have visions of fall crops, jams, jellies, and various and
sundry goodies to preserve. And yes Mimi, as far as I'm concerned
freezing stuff is preserving. Otherwise I wouldn't have any pesto or
chopped kumquats in the freezer to make goodies with.

George