Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Canning BBQ Sauce

I have a friend who caters part time and makes his own sauce for ribs.
When he found out I have a canner and interest in learning how to use
it he asked if we could get together and make a bunch of it so he
didn't have to make it each time he gets a gig. So this will get me
motivated to finally start. I've got to spend some time with the Blue
Book because I don't know anything and I've forgot some of the things
I read a few weeks ago. Simple stuff like is the water supposed to be
boiling when you lower the jars in. And when do you hear that
clinking lid sound I read about here.

Is there anything in this list of ingredients that would cause a
problem? Also how much head space and how long should I prosess it
for.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

32 oz ketchup
1 c molasses
1 1/2 T tabasco
1 c onion chopped fine
1/2 c lemon juice
1 t minced garlic
2 1/2 T dry mustard
3 T white vinegar
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c water to rinse out ketchup bottle
1/4 c worchester sauce
4-5 habeneros minced
12 oz mango chutney or mango based preserves
1 T liquid smoke

mix above ingredients in double boiler for appox 2-3 hours

Lou
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/18/2011 6:53 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

> I have a friend who caters part time and makes his own sauce for ribs.
> When he found out I have a canner and interest in learning how to use
> it he asked if we could get together and make a bunch of it so he
> didn't have to make it each time he gets a gig. So this will get me
> motivated to finally start. I've got to spend some time with the Blue
> Book because I don't know anything and I've forgot some of the things
> I read a few weeks ago. Simple stuff like is the water supposed to be
> boiling when you lower the jars in. And when do you hear that
> clinking lid sound I read about here.
>
> Is there anything in this list of ingredients that would cause a
> problem? Also how much head space and how long should I prosess it
> for.
>
> Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
>

> 32 oz ketchup
> 1 c molasses
> 1 1/2 T tabasco
> 1 c onion chopped fine
> 1/2 c lemon juice
> 1 t minced garlic
> 2 1/2 T dry mustard
> 3 T white vinegar
> 3/4 c brown sugar
> 1/2 c water to rinse out ketchup bottle
> 1/4 c worchester sauce
> 4-5 habeneros minced
> 12 oz mango chutney or mango based preserves
> 1 T liquid smoke
>
> mix above ingredients in double boiler for appox 2-3 hours
>
> Lou

Lou, you might want to do some reading at the National Center for Food
Preservation site, here's the URL: http://tinyurl.com/9fy34

I don't think very many folks on this newsgroup use their pressure
canners for sauces but I could be mistaken. Looks like a fairly acidic
mix but I wouldn't tell you you could do anything other than pressure
canning as I don't do sauces myself. Best hint is in the first
paragraph. Those folks have a lot of knowledge at their site. Good luck.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> I have a friend who caters part time and makes his own sauce for ribs.
> When he found out I have a canner and interest in learning how to use
> it he asked if we could get together and make a bunch of it so he
> didn't have to make it each time he gets a gig. So this will get me
> motivated to finally start. I've got to spend some time with the Blue
> Book because I don't know anything and I've forgot some of the things
> I read a few weeks ago. Simple stuff like is the water supposed to be
> boiling when you lower the jars in. And when do you hear that
> clinking lid sound I read about here.
>
> Is there anything in this list of ingredients that would cause a
> problem? Also how much head space and how long should I prosess it
> for.
>
> Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
>

> 32 oz ketchup
> 1 c molasses
> 1 1/2 T tabasco
> 1 c onion chopped fine
> 1/2 c lemon juice
> 1 t minced garlic
> 2 1/2 T dry mustard
> 3 T white vinegar
> 3/4 c brown sugar
> 1/2 c water to rinse out ketchup bottle
> 1/4 c worchester sauce
> 4-5 habeneros minced
> 12 oz mango chutney or mango based preserves
> 1 T liquid smoke
>
> mix above ingredients in double boiler for appox 2-3 hours
>
> Lou

Personally, I think it's borderline: I don't know the pH of ketchup or
molasses; and the onion, garlic, and peppers are low-acid vegetables. I
don't know if you can count on the chutney to supply enough acid for
safe waterbath processing. I don't think I'd do it, Lou. I haven't
read George's reply yet and will be curious about what he says.

Tell your friend to freeze the sauce. It would be faster and safer in
the face of insufficient information and knowledge.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> I have a friend who caters part time and makes his own sauce for ribs.
>> When he found out I have a canner and interest in learning how to use
>> it he asked if we could get together and make a bunch of it so he
>> didn't have to make it each time he gets a gig. So this will get me
>> motivated to finally start. I've got to spend some time with the Blue
>> Book because I don't know anything and I've forgot some of the things
>> I read a few weeks ago. Simple stuff like is the water supposed to be
>> boiling when you lower the jars in. And when do you hear that
>> clinking lid sound I read about here.
>>
>> Is there anything in this list of ingredients that would cause a
>> problem? Also how much head space and how long should I prosess it
>> for.
>>
>> Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>> 32 oz ketchup
>> 1 c molasses
>> 1 1/2 T tabasco
>> 1 c onion chopped fine
>> 1/2 c lemon juice
>> 1 t minced garlic
>> 2 1/2 T dry mustard
>> 3 T white vinegar
>> 3/4 c brown sugar
>> 1/2 c water to rinse out ketchup bottle
>> 1/4 c worchester sauce
>> 4-5 habeneros minced
>> 12 oz mango chutney or mango based preserves
>> 1 T liquid smoke
>>
>> mix above ingredients in double boiler for appox 2-3 hours
>>
>> Lou

> Personally, I think it's borderline: I don't know the pH of ketchup or
> molasses; and the onion, garlic, and peppers are low-acid vegetables. I
> don't know if you can count on the chutney to supply enough acid for
> safe waterbath processing. I don't think I'd do it, Lou. I haven't
> read George's reply yet and will be curious about what he says.
>
> Tell your friend to freeze the sauce. It would be faster and safer in
> the face of insufficient information and knowledge.

i'd say it's likely to be ok as ketchup has vinegar in
it enough that we don't ever worry about it spoiling.
adding the extra lemon juice and vinegar and the molasses
should do in about anything else. the mango chutney or
preserves are likely to have their own preservatives in
there or tons of sugars. same with worschesterchire sauce.

if you want to be on the safer side add another
cup or so of vinegar (probably won't notice it that much
with all that sugar and spices in there).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/19/2011 7:50 AM, songbird wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> Tell your friend to freeze the sauce. It would be faster and safer in
>> the face of insufficient information and knowledge.

> i'd say it's likely to be ok as ketchup has vinegar in
> it enough that we don't ever worry about it spoiling.
> adding the extra lemon juice and vinegar and the molasses
> should do in about anything else. the mango chutney or
> preserves are likely to have their own preservatives in
> there or tons of sugars. same with worschesterchire sauce.
>
> if you want to be on the safer side add another
> cup or so of vinegar (probably won't notice it that much
> with all that sugar and spices in there).
> songbird

Sorry, but I agree with George and Barb. If you don't know FOR SURE,
please don't make recommendations for what may make people quite sick
if your hunch is incorrect.

Lou: Urge your friend to err on the side of caution if he values his
reputation and his friends/customers. Nothing is safe in a bwb unless
it is very high in sugar (like jam) or very low (acid) pH. Even then,
if a good seal isn't achieved, you'll get molds or spoilage.
Refrigerator space is cheap and safe.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/19/2011 3:03 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> gloria.p wrote:
>>
>> Lou: Urge your friend to err on the side of caution if he values his
>> reputation and his friends/customers. Nothing is safe in a bwb unless
>> it is very high in sugar (like jam) or very low (acid) pH. Even then,
>> if a good seal isn't achieved, you'll get molds or spoilage.
>> Refrigerator space is cheap and safe.

> Is that thing about high in sugar why all or almost all bottled BBQ
> sauces are so nasty sweet to me? They are like ketchup they have so
> much sugar in them.

Commercially bottled/canned products are subject to proper
vacuum processing which is not usually available to home cooks.
Sugar, salt, acid (vinegar), various chemical preservatives, and
refrigeration help to prevent spoilage for a while after the seal is
broken, but not forever.

That's why you always get the advice to make sure the top of a
bottled lid hasn't popped before you open it, and that cans aren't
dented or leaking, to make sure the vacuum seal has been preserved.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> I have a friend who caters part time and makes his own sauce for ribs.
>> When he found out I have a canner and interest in learning how to use
>> it he asked if we could get together and make a bunch of it so he
>> didn't have to make it each time he gets a gig. So this will get me
>> motivated to finally start. I've got to spend some time with the Blue
>> Book because I don't know anything and I've forgot some of the things
>> I read a few weeks ago. Simple stuff like is the water supposed to be
>> boiling when you lower the jars in. And when do you hear that
>> clinking lid sound I read about here.
>>
>> Is there anything in this list of ingredients that would cause a
>> problem? Also how much head space and how long should I prosess it
>> for.
>>
>> Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>> 32 oz ketchup
>> 1 c molasses
>> 1 1/2 T tabasco
>> 1 c onion chopped fine
>> 1/2 c lemon juice
>> 1 t minced garlic
>> 2 1/2 T dry mustard
>> 3 T white vinegar
>> 3/4 c brown sugar
>> 1/2 c water to rinse out ketchup bottle
>> 1/4 c worchester sauce
>> 4-5 habeneros minced
>> 12 oz mango chutney or mango based preserves
>> 1 T liquid smoke
>>
>> mix above ingredients in double boiler for appox 2-3 hours
>>
>> Lou

> Personally, I think it's borderline: I don't know the pH of ketchup or
> molasses; and the onion, garlic, and peppers are low-acid vegetables. I
> don't know if you can count on the chutney to supply enough acid for
> safe waterbath processing. I don't think I'd do it, Lou. I haven't
> read George's reply yet and will be curious about what he says.
>
> Tell your friend to freeze the sauce. It would be faster and safer in
> the face of insufficient information and knowledge.

It looks on the "safe" side of the line to me, but I don't know.
Better not.

It could always be pressure canned. The trick would be figuring out a
processing time. The good news is nothing there should be hurt by
overcooking unless you want the onions to still have some texture.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Nad Nad is offline

"gloria.p" > wrote:
> On 9/19/2011 3:03 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> gloria.p wrote:
>>>
>>> Lou: Urge your friend to err on the side of caution if he values his
>>> reputation and his friends/customers. Nothing is safe in a bwb unless
>>> it is very high in sugar (like jam) or very low (acid) pH. Even then,
>>> if a good seal isn't achieved, you'll get molds or spoilage.
>>> Refrigerator space is cheap and safe.

>> Is that thing about high in sugar why all or almost all bottled BBQ
>> sauces are so nasty sweet to me? They are like ketchup they have so
>> much sugar in them.
>>

> Commercially bottled/canned products are subject to proper
> vacuum processing which is not usually available to home cooks.
> Sugar, salt, acid (vinegar), various chemical preservatives, and
> refrigeration help to prevent spoilage for a while after the seal is
> broken, but not forever.
>
> That's why you always get the advice to make sure the top of a
> bottled lid hasn't popped before you open it, and that cans aren't
> dented or leaking, to make sure the vacuum seal has been preserved.
>
> gloria p

Commercially bottled products probably has every chemical preservative
known to mankind ( humankind Homemade food stuff tends not to have all
those nitrates and nitrites and the list goes on.

I do not think those flimsy plastic BBQ bottles in the supermarkets are
subject to pressure canning. I think they have lots of chemicals that
destroy everything including the taste.

--
Nad
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default BBQ Sauce - SETP recipe?

On a similar note, has anyone tried the BBQ sauce recipe in SETP? I
have some extra tomatoes this year and I wanted to put up some sauce.
The Ball recipe calls for celery and that isn't something I normally
put in my sauce. I tend to like mild and pretty sweet sauce - I buy
Bullseye when I buy store-bought. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Beti
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/25/2011 1:49 PM, Beti wrote:
> On a similar note, has anyone tried the BBQ sauce recipe in SETP? I
> have some extra tomatoes this year and I wanted to put up some sauce.
> The Ball recipe calls for celery and that isn't something I normally
> put in my sauce. I tend to like mild and pretty sweet sauce - I buy
> Bullseye when I buy store-bought. Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Beti

I've not tried it but you can be assured the recipe will be safe as
houses as long as you follow the directions. I would make a very small
batch and try it out to see if you like prior to making a canner full of
the sauce. I have had good luck doing that with some SETP recipes. A
little math and you can down or up size the recipes.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sep 25, 2:49*pm, Beti > wrote:
> On a similar note, has anyone tried the BBQ sauce recipe in SETP? *I
> have some extra tomatoes this year and I wanted to put up some sauce.
> The Ball recipe calls for celery and that isn't something I normally
> put in my sauce. *I tend to like mild and pretty sweet sauce - I buy
> Bullseye when I buy store-bought. *Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Beti

There's nothing wrong with following the recipe and leaving out the
celery if you don't like it. or substituting onions if desired.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:56:06 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>>
>>> I have a friend who caters part time and makes his own sauce for ribs.
>>> When he found out I have a canner and interest in learning how to use
>>> it he asked if we could get together and make a bunch of it so he
>>> didn't have to make it each time he gets a gig. So this will get me
>>> motivated to finally start. I've got to spend some time with the Blue
>>> Book because I don't know anything and I've forgot some of the things
>>> I read a few weeks ago. Simple stuff like is the water supposed to be
>>> boiling when you lower the jars in. And when do you hear that
>>> clinking lid sound I read about here.
>>>
>>> Is there anything in this list of ingredients that would cause a
>>> problem? Also how much head space and how long should I prosess it
>>> for.
>>>
>>> Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
>>>

>>> 32 oz ketchup
>>> 1 c molasses
>>> 1 1/2 T tabasco
>>> 1 c onion chopped fine
>>> 1/2 c lemon juice
>>> 1 t minced garlic
>>> 2 1/2 T dry mustard
>>> 3 T white vinegar
>>> 3/4 c brown sugar
>>> 1/2 c water to rinse out ketchup bottle
>>> 1/4 c worchester sauce
>>> 4-5 habeneros minced
>>> 12 oz mango chutney or mango based preserves
>>> 1 T liquid smoke
>>>
>>> mix above ingredients in double boiler for appox 2-3 hours
>>>
>>> Lou

>> Personally, I think it's borderline: I don't know the pH of ketchup or
>> molasses; and the onion, garlic, and peppers are low-acid vegetables. I
>> don't know if you can count on the chutney to supply enough acid for
>> safe waterbath processing. I don't think I'd do it, Lou. I haven't
>> read George's reply yet and will be curious about what he says.
>>
>> Tell your friend to freeze the sauce. It would be faster and safer in
>> the face of insufficient information and knowledge.

>It looks on the "safe" side of the line to me, but I don't know.
>Better not.
>
>It could always be pressure canned. The trick would be figuring out a
>processing time. The good news is nothing there should be hurt by
>overcooking unless you want the onions to still have some texture.

Thanks. I now have a 16 qt. pressure canner. I wasn't all that sure
I was impressed with his recipe but that's what he wanted to do. I
told him what you all said and he went out and got the canner. I paid
for it so it's mine now. We processed for 20 minutes so hopefully
that was enough. We got 5 pints out of it and used the rest for
pulled pork sandwiches from a butt I had smoked during the day. It
was wonderful. We opened a pint the next day and it was sealed tight.
My friend took the other 4 pints and I haven't heard back if he's used
any yet. Hopefully we did it right.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Lou Decruss" wrote in message

> >It could always be pressure canned. The trick would be figuring out a
> >processing time. The good news is nothing there should be hurt by
> >overcooking unless you want the onions to still have some texture.

> Thanks. I now have a 16 qt. pressure canner. I wasn't all that sure
> I was impressed with his recipe but that's what he wanted to do. I
> told him what you all said and he went out and got the canner. I paid
> for it so it's mine now. We processed for 20 minutes so hopefully
> that was enough. We got 5 pints out of it and used the rest for
> pulled pork sandwiches from a butt I had smoked during the day. It
> was wonderful. We opened a pint the next day and it was sealed tight.
> My friend took the other 4 pints and I haven't heard back if he's used
> any yet. Hopefully we did it right.

Excellent! Both on scoring the pressure canner AND in using that sauce with
pulled pork...I'm envious...(:-o)! Now I'm gonna hafta try it...

L8r,
Dusty
--
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails
of the last priest." - Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I have tried several times to pressure can pulled pork in BBQ sauce. Every time it ends up burning. My only take is the sugars in the sauce scorches at the high temps required for the canning process.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a work around?

My only idea is to can the puled pork either in broth or water separate from sauce.

Thoughts or ideas?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
John Ginsberg > wrote:

> Thoughts or ideas?

I don't understand how something can burn in an environment full of
steam... Is the canner boiling dry somehow?

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Not boiling dry but the color changes to darker brown and tastes like the sauce is burnt. Only think I could figure is the 250 degrees (or whatever it is at that pressure) is making the sugars burn.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >
John Ginsberg > writes:
>I have tried several times to pressure can pulled pork in BBQ
>sauce. Every time it ends up burning. My only take is the
>sugars in the sauce scorches at the high temps required for the canning process.

I don't know what is in your sauce, but I can say from experience
that tomato sauce with stewed ground beef pressure cans just fine
without tasting burned at all.

Not to insult you, but you don't have the jars sitting on the bottom
(floor) of the canner, do you?

--
Drew Lawson | Though it's just a memory,