Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default One More Fermented Pickle Question, Please

One more pickle question, if anyone can advise. I'm following SETP's
fermented pickle recipe and they've been in the brine for just over
two weeks. Temperatures have been 62-79F and I've been skimming them
every few days.

Today I moved them into the kitchen to make it easier to skim the
surface. In the process, I sloshed the liquid around more than I
intended and the whitish scum on the top kind of mixed into the liquid
and then settled onto the bottom. Various sources including UGA, OSU
and other fermented food sites have conflicting information on this.
Some say the white sediment is fine some say it is yeast that will
increase the pH of the brine and spoil the pickles.

Can anyone weigh in with their experiences? Thanks!