Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Zucchini recipe

This isn't jam or bottled, but it's a very good way to "preserve"
extra zucchihi. We have it for breakfast all year long from the freezer
and I have shredded zucchini frozen in 2 cup bags to make more in case
we run out! The recipe makes 2 loaves. I have made at least 6 batches
this summer and always send some home with my kids. 21 month old
grandson loves it.

On one of the hottest weekends of the year we found a huge Golden
Zucchini in the garden. This was worth heating the oven for:

Zucchini Bread, from (James) Beard on Bread Cookbook

3 eggs (or combination Egg Beaters and egg)
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar (has already been reduced from 2 cups)
1 c. vegetable oil (I use 1/2 cup plus 1/2 c. applesauce)
2 c. coarsely grated raw zucchini. If it's a big zucchini,
scoop out the seeds before grating; no need to peel.
3 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice
1 c. coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
(optional: handful of chocolate chips)

Grease well and flour two 9 inch loaf pans.
Sift together flour, baking powder and soda, and spices. Set aside.
Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, applesauce and
oil, mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to
combine. Add zucchini, mix well, then nuts. Pour into pans.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until a tester
comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan
and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely. Serve
sliced, spread with cream cheese.

This bread freezes VERY well.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> This isn't jam or bottled, but it's a very good way to "preserve"
> extra zucchihi. We have it for breakfast all year long from the freezer
> and I have shredded zucchini frozen in 2 cup bags to make more in case we
> run out! The recipe makes 2 loaves. I have made at least 6 batches
> this summer and always send some home with my kids. 21 month old grandson
> loves it.
>
> On one of the hottest weekends of the year we found a huge Golden Zucchini
> in the garden. This was worth heating the oven for:
>
> Zucchini Bread, from (James) Beard on Bread Cookbook
>
> 3 eggs (or combination Egg Beaters and egg)
> 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar (has already been reduced from 2 cups)
> 1 c. vegetable oil (I use 1/2 cup plus 1/2 c. applesauce)
> 2 c. coarsely grated raw zucchini. If it's a big zucchini,
> scoop out the seeds before grating; no need to peel.
> 3 tsp. vanilla extract
> 3 c. all purpose flour
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. baking soda
> 1/2 tsp. baking powder
> 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice
> 1 c. coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
> (optional: handful of chocolate chips)
>
> Grease well and flour two 9 inch loaf pans.
> Sift together flour, baking powder and soda, and spices. Set aside.
> Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, applesauce and
> oil, mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to
> combine. Add zucchini, mix well, then nuts. Pour into pans.
>
> Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until a tester
> comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan
> and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely. Serve
> sliced, spread with cream cheese.
>
> This bread freezes VERY well.

<saved> Thank you
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia wrote:

> "gloria.p" > wrote in message
>> This isn't jam or bottled, but it's a very good way to "preserve"
>> extra zucchihi. We have it for breakfast all year long from the freezer
>> and I have shredded zucchini frozen in 2 cup bags to make more in case
>> we run out! The recipe makes 2 loaves. I have made at least 6 batches
>> this summer and always send some home with my kids. 21 month old
>> grandson loves it.
>>
>> On one of the hottest weekends of the year we found a huge Golden
>> Zucchini in the garden. This was worth heating the oven for:
>>
>> Zucchini Bread, from (James) Beard on Bread Cookbook
>>
>> 3 eggs (or combination Egg Beaters and egg)
>> 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar (has already been reduced from 2 cups)
>> 1 c. vegetable oil (I use 1/2 cup plus 1/2 c. applesauce)
>> 2 c. coarsely grated raw zucchini. If it's a big zucchini,
>> scoop out the seeds before grating; no need to peel.
>> 3 tsp. vanilla extract
>> 3 c. all purpose flour
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> 1 tsp. baking soda
>> 1/2 tsp. baking powder
>> 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
>> 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice
>> 1 c. coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
>> (optional: handful of chocolate chips)
>>
>> Grease well and flour two 9 inch loaf pans.
>> Sift together flour, baking powder and soda, and spices. Set aside.
>> Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, applesauce and
>> oil, mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to
>> combine. Add zucchini, mix well, then nuts. Pour into pans.
>>
>> Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until a tester
>> comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan
>> and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely. Serve
>> sliced, spread with cream cheese.
>>
>> This bread freezes VERY well.

> <saved> Thank you

Here's another one. I like it because it uses 3 cups of zucchini
instead of the usual two -- and I grate them seeds and all; pretend the
seeds are nuts If they are really seedy, add some walnuts for disguise.

*Bob's Zucchini Snack Cake*

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice

3 cups grated zucchini, do not peel
1 cup oil
4 eggs

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the eggs, oil, and
zucchini and beat well. Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake in 325º
oven for about 45 to 50 minutes.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Here's another one. I like it because it uses 3 cups of zucchini instead
> of the usual two -- and I grate them seeds and all; pretend the seeds are
> nuts If they are really seedy, add some walnuts for disguise.
>
> *Bob's Zucchini Snack Cake*
>
> 1 cup whole wheat flour
> 1 cup all purpose flour
> 2 cups sugar
> 1 tsp baking powder
> 1 tsp baking soda
> 1 tsp salt
> 1 tsp cinnamon
> 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
>
> 3 cups grated zucchini, do not peel
> 1 cup oil
> 4 eggs
>
> Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the eggs, oil, and
> zucchini and beat well. Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake in 325º oven
> for about 45 to 50 minutes.

<saved> Thank you too

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk