Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Making pear jelly

Juiced the pears yesterday and let the juice sit covered in the fridge
until this morning. Ran the juice through the jelly sack and got the
last of the particulates out then started making the jelly. Just took
seven pints, one twelve-ounce jar, and one four-ounce jar out of two
separate pots. Beautiful clear, yellow tinged with a hint of red, jelly.
And that's just the start.

Checked the pantry and still have six quarts of sliced pears in Splenda
in there. That's what's left from the twelve quarts I put up in 2010.
Think I will just juice the rest of the pears and make more jelly and
use the pulp for pear sauce. That will please the descendants as they
all like Granpa's pear jelly and pear sauce. Thinking to make three
separate batches of pear sauce, one with ginger, one with cinnamon, and
one with cardamon.

Then, thinking again, which can be dangerous, we may go to our friends
house tomorrow and pick another fifty or sixty pounds of pears just to
make pear slices. What can it hurt to have more than we can eat in a
year. Just think of the pear cobblers, pear pies, and pear cakes we can
make. I made a pear/blueberry cobbler two weeks ago, home canned pears
and six ounces of dried blueberries. Let the berries rehydrate for a
while in the pear sauce and then made the cobbler. Came out very tasty.
I did put a little cinnamon in the mix and then decided to put a half
teaspoon in the dumpling mix, boosted the taste in my not so humble opinion.

Recently we have been finding name brand dehydrated fruits at the local
Big Lots store. They are half the price as in the markets here so we
bought plenty. We have tart and sweet cherries, blueberries, mango,
papaya, pineapple, apple, pear, peach, and cranberry. Next time the
Altar Society ladies hit me up for sweet bread for a sale at our church
I can make my well known (at least around here) tropical sweet bread.
Made with mango, papaya, and pineapple, plus chopped walnuts and the
liquid is coconut milk.

Am resting now and will start making the first batch of pear sauce after
lunch today.

George
Father Confessor, HOSSPOJ
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/12/2011 10:10 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> Juiced the pears yesterday and let the juice sit covered in the fridge
> until this morning. Ran the juice through the jelly sack and got the
> last of the particulates out then started making the jelly. Just took
> seven pints, one twelve-ounce jar, and one four-ounce jar out of two
> separate pots. Beautiful clear, yellow tinged with a hint of red, jelly.
> And that's just the start.
>
> Checked the pantry and still have six quarts of sliced pears in Splenda
> in there. That's what's left from the twelve quarts I put up in 2010.
> Think I will just juice the rest of the pears and make more jelly and
> use the pulp for pear sauce. That will please the descendants as they
> all like Granpa's pear jelly and pear sauce. Thinking to make three
> separate batches of pear sauce, one with ginger, one with cinnamon, and
> one with cardamon.

That sounds spectacular, George, especially the jelly. I love pear
flavor but not the grainy texture. It's hard to beat free fruit.
Good luck with your harvest and processing.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/12/2011 1:47 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 8/12/2011 10:10 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>> Juiced the pears yesterday and let the juice sit covered in the fridge
>> until this morning. Ran the juice through the jelly sack and got the
>> last of the particulates out then started making the jelly. Just took
>> seven pints, one twelve-ounce jar, and one four-ounce jar out of two
>> separate pots. Beautiful clear, yellow tinged with a hint of red, jelly.
>> And that's just the start.
>>
>> Checked the pantry and still have six quarts of sliced pears in Splenda
>> in there. That's what's left from the twelve quarts I put up in 2010.
>> Think I will just juice the rest of the pears and make more jelly and
>> use the pulp for pear sauce. That will please the descendants as they
>> all like Granpa's pear jelly and pear sauce. Thinking to make three
>> separate batches of pear sauce, one with ginger, one with cinnamon, and
>> one with cardamon.

> That sounds spectacular, George, especially the jelly. I love pear
> flavor but not the grainy texture. It's hard to beat free fruit.
> Good luck with your harvest and processing.
>
> gloria p

Thanks, luckily the jelly is not grainy, right tasty though. Ended up
with a couple of half jars in two batches, both are in the fridge right
now and will be used up within a week or two.

I'm doing my regular job today, have a rush order on some technical
writing, this is my lunch break, a little late but better late than never.

George

Pear jelly today, pear sauce tomorrow George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 0 06-08-2013 08:56 PM
Last batch of pear jelly George Shirley Preserving 0 07-08-2009 10:54 PM
Pear jelly George Shirley Preserving 3 02-08-2009 02:04 AM
Prickly Pear Jelly Mary Filmore Recipes (moderated) 0 05-06-2008 03:19 AM
Pear Jelly? Bunny McElwee Preserving 23 03-09-2004 08:31 PM