Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Where is everyone?

On 07/17/2011 06:41 AM, gloria.p wrote:

> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>
> I don't see any posts since July 8.

I've seen traffic, but not much.

I've been playing with an Excalibur dehydrator I got for $6 at a church
yard sale. Woo hoo!

--
frater mus
http://www.mousetrap.net/mouse/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?

I don't see any posts since July 8.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/16/2011 5:41 PM, gloria.p wrote:

> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>
> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>
> gloria p

I'm certainly not, the tree rats, aka squirrels have been eating our
eggplant, tomatoes, and even the Armenian cukes. I've got four in the
fridge right now, squirrel and dumplings later this week.

In most of the US it is either to hot or to wet to do anything. It's
both here, we're finally getting some rain that makes a mark in the rain
gauge.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria.p wrote:

> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>
> I don't see any posts since July 8.

i've got a few days yet before the beans
start coming in heavy. will hope to be
putting up some three bean salad again.

dry peas in the shell. no hardship there
in putting those up. a good midday project
if i'm not too tired or sore.

the rest of the gardens are coming along.
watering for a few hours is needed to keep
them going in this heat.

rhubarb i'm leaving as the shade it is
providing for itself is more critical than
me needing to make rhubarb sauce.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria.p wrote:

> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>
> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>
> gloria p

I'm still here. It's too wet to do anything and very hot and humid, so
I've been really lazy today. (you can almost hear the weeds growing in
my garden)

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria.p wrote:

> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>
> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>
> gloria p

Like George said. We've got a torn up house due to flood fight, need to
make sausage but until we have a little sense of normalcy Momma doesn't
want any projects much out of the day to day routine. Also encroaching
on the century mark on the thermometer too. So couch and Turner
Classics will get my attention this afternoon.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
I'm certainly not, the tree rats, aka squirrels have been eating our
> eggplant, tomatoes, and even the Armenian cukes. I've got four in the
> fridge right now, squirrel and dumplings later this week.

Would you like a few bunnies to add to the pot? Put a little Pam
cooking spray on the pivot points, NOW I've got a trap instead of a
feeder. LOL!!!!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"fratermus" > wrote in message
> On 07/17/2011 06:41 AM, gloria.p wrote:
>
>> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>>
>> I don't see any posts since July 8.

> I've seen traffic, but not much.
>
> I've been playing with an Excalibur dehydrator I got for $6 at a church
> yard sale. Woo hoo!

What are you drying atm? I am making 'sun dried' tomatoes just now First
try but will see how it goes. Ready dried are expensive and hubby likes
them in his roll. I mean 'in' his rolls, I make all our bread

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:41:18 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>
>I don't see any posts since July 8.
>
>gloria p

About the only thing I have been preserving are pickles. We replaced
our hard wood kitchen floors with vinyl and put in a new sink, faucet
and garbage disposal. We still have to put some things back but I want
to organize and clean things before stuff goes back in.

The cukes are still coming in and I am afraid to look. I have not
picked in about 4 days since the weather has been cool and overcast
and I decided I had to get the weeds out of the tomatoes. Still
working on them. The watermelon plants have overtaken the cantaloupe
and pumpkin.

After I rest my back and get some lunch, back to pulling weeds. Maybe
one more day.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 7/16/2011 5:41 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>

>> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>>
>> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>>
>> gloria p

> I'm certainly not, the tree rats, aka squirrels have been eating our
> eggplant, tomatoes, and even the Armenian cukes. I've got four in the
> fridge right now, squirrel and dumplings later this week.

attaboy! I as going to ask How do you cook them? I use the same methods
for rabbit. Either in garlic, onions, tomatoes and red wine (my
preference) Or plain casseroled in onions and beef stock. (His pref)

> In most of the US it is either to hot or to wet to do anything. It's both
> here, we're finally getting some rain that makes a mark in the rain gauge.

Hope it continues!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/17/2011 10:12 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .com...
>> On 7/16/2011 5:41 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>>

>>> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>>>
>>> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> I'm certainly not, the tree rats, aka squirrels have been eating our
>> eggplant, tomatoes, and even the Armenian cukes. I've got four in the
>> fridge right now, squirrel and dumplings later this week.

> attaboy! I as going to ask How do you cook them? I use the same methods
> for rabbit. Either in garlic, onions, tomatoes and red wine (my
> preference) Or plain casseroled in onions and beef stock. (His pref)

Probably the same species, gray or "cat" squirrels. Some brainless Brit
imported them to the Isles about 100 years ago. Probably the same idiot
who brought English sparrows to the US.

I fry them up in a little oil, then stew them with onions and garlic,
black pepper, a touch of cayenne pepper. When tender I let the stew cool
and then debone the meat. After that I make southern flat dumplings.
Easy as anything, two cups all purpose flour, pinch of salt, half cup of
shortening, half cup of cold water. Work the dough by hand until well
mixed. Roll out on dough sheet (mine is actually an old sheet that we
cut up and hemmed - fits on the counter top and can be washed in the
washing machine.). Roll it out very thin, then slice long ways in half
inch wide strips, then cut those into one or two inch pieces. Drop
individually into the rolling boil the stew has been brought to. Doesn't
take long for them to get done. Serve with green or black-eyed peas (cow
peas to Brits), mashed potatoes, fresh home made bread. Use same method
to make chicken and dumplings.

Young squirrel is very good when chicken fried also.

>> In most of the US it is either to hot or to wet to do anything. It's both
>> here, we're finally getting some rain that makes a mark in the rain
>> gauge.

> Hope it continues!

None today so far but forecast for the afternoon.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/17/2011 10:04 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:41:18 -0600, >
> wrote:
>

>> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>>
>> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>>
>> gloria p

> About the only thing I have been preserving are pickles. We replaced
> our hard wood kitchen floors with vinyl and put in a new sink, faucet
> and garbage disposal. We still have to put some things back but I want
> to organize and clean things before stuff goes back in.
>
> The cukes are still coming in and I am afraid to look. I have not
> picked in about 4 days since the weather has been cool and overcast
> and I decided I had to get the weeds out of the tomatoes. Still
> working on them. The watermelon plants have overtaken the cantaloupe
> and pumpkin.
>
> After I rest my back and get some lunch, back to pulling weeds. Maybe
> one more day.

As I said before the Armenian cukes are good for fresh eating but not
good for pickling. The burpless cukes did poorly also so we planted some
"Straight Eights" a couple of weeks ago, all the seed came up and, with
the rain, doing well. We may be able to make pickles in the next couple
of months. At least I hope so, we only have about four jars of mixed
pickles, pickled sunchokes, four jars of dilly carrots, and one quart
jar of luncheon dills left. I hate to buy pickles but that may come to
pass this fall.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

fratermus wrote:
> On 07/17/2011 06:41 AM, gloria.p wrote:
>

>>You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>>
>>I don't see any posts since July 8.

> I've seen traffic, but not much.
>
> I've been playing with an Excalibur dehydrator I got for $6 at a church
> yard sale. Woo hoo!

We had one until someone stole it, I really miss it.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hey! A neat recipe. I've got no shortage of squirrels at my bird feeder
and haven't made dumplings of any kind in decades. I think I'm gonna try it
out tomorrow. Thanks for the tip, George!

Dusty - In the cool, damp PNW; NE of Seattle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"George Shirley" wrote in message
.com...

On 7/17/2011 10:12 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .com...
>> On 7/16/2011 5:41 PM, gloria.p wrote:
>>>

>>> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>>>
>>> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> I'm certainly not, the tree rats, aka squirrels have been eating our
>> eggplant, tomatoes, and even the Armenian cukes. I've got four in the
>> fridge right now, squirrel and dumplings later this week.

> attaboy! I as going to ask How do you cook them? I use the same methods
> for rabbit. Either in garlic, onions, tomatoes and red wine (my
> preference) Or plain casseroled in onions and beef stock. (His pref)

Probably the same species, gray or "cat" squirrels. Some brainless Brit
imported them to the Isles about 100 years ago. Probably the same idiot
who brought English sparrows to the US.

I fry them up in a little oil, then stew them with onions and garlic,
black pepper, a touch of cayenne pepper. When tender I let the stew cool
and then debone the meat. After that I make southern flat dumplings.
Easy as anything, two cups all purpose flour, pinch of salt, half cup of
shortening, half cup of cold water. Work the dough by hand until well
mixed. Roll out on dough sheet (mine is actually an old sheet that we
cut up and hemmed - fits on the counter top and can be washed in the
washing machine.). Roll it out very thin, then slice long ways in half
inch wide strips, then cut those into one or two inch pieces. Drop
individually into the rolling boil the stew has been brought to. Doesn't
take long for them to get done. Serve with green or black-eyed peas (cow
peas to Brits), mashed potatoes, fresh home made bread. Use same method
to make chicken and dumplings.

Young squirrel is very good when chicken fried also.

>> In most of the US it is either to hot or to wet to do anything. It's both
>> here, we're finally getting some rain that makes a mark in the rain
>> gauge.

> Hope it continues!

None today so far but forecast for the afternoon.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/17/2011 10:34 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 7/17/2011 10:04 AM, The Cook wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:41:18 -0600, >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>>>
>>> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> About the only thing I have been preserving are pickles. We replaced
>> our hard wood kitchen floors with vinyl and put in a new sink, faucet
>> and garbage disposal. We still have to put some things back but I want
>> to organize and clean things before stuff goes back in.
>>
>> The cukes are still coming in and I am afraid to look. I have not
>> picked in about 4 days since the weather has been cool and overcast
>> and I decided I had to get the weeds out of the tomatoes. Still
>> working on them. The watermelon plants have overtaken the cantaloupe
>> and pumpkin.
>>
>> After I rest my back and get some lunch, back to pulling weeds. Maybe
>> one more day.

> As I said before the Armenian cukes are good for fresh eating but not
> good for pickling. The burpless cukes did poorly also so we planted some
> "Straight Eights" a couple of weeks ago, all the seed came up and, with
> the rain, doing well. We may be able to make pickles in the next couple
> of months. At least I hope so, we only have about four jars of mixed
> pickles, pickled sunchokes, four jars of dilly carrots, and one quart
> jar of luncheon dills left. I hate to buy pickles but that may come to
> pass this fall.

I'm answering my own post. We just came in from the garden. Picked
exactly four green beans, four sweet chiles (bananas), one eggplant, and
one burpless cuke that didn't get pollinated completely as it was only
about five inches long and the end away from the stem was curled. Read
once that it takes fifty visits by bees to one flower to properly
pollinate a cucumber.

At least we can share some fried eggplant with fried green beans

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.com...
> Probably the same species, gray or "cat" squirrels. Some brainless Brit
> imported them to the Isles about 100 years ago. Probably the same idiot
> who brought English sparrows to the US.

Could it be the same brainbox who imported grey squirrels here which are now
wiping out the indigenous red squirrels which are far less destructive?

After that I make southern flat dumplings.
> Easy as anything, two cups all purpose flour, pinch of salt, half cup of
> shortening, half cup of cold water. Work the dough by hand until well
> mixed. Roll out on dough sheet (mine is actually an old sheet that we cut
> up and hemmed - fits on the counter top and can be washed in the washing
> machine.). Roll it out very thin, then slice long ways in half inch wide
> strips, then cut those into one or two inch pieces. Drop individually into
> the rolling boil the stew has been brought to. Doesn't take long for them
> to get done.

Saved.. thanks

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/17/2011 9:31 AM, George Shirley wrote:

> Young squirrel is very good when chicken fried also.

Sorry, George, but eating squirrel sounds about as
appetizing as eating rat. I still love ya, though.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

actually its not bad at all. dumplings is most common in my family but
fried then simmered in gravy is nice also. Lee

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 7/17/2011 9:31 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>

>> Young squirrel is very good when chicken fried also.
>>>

> Sorry, George, but eating squirrel sounds about as
> appetizing as eating rat. I still love ya, though.
>
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/17/2011 2:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .com...
>> Probably the same species, gray or "cat" squirrels. Some brainless Brit
>> imported them to the Isles about 100 years ago. Probably the same idiot
>> who brought English sparrows to the US.

> Could it be the same brainbox who imported grey squirrels here which are
> now
> wiping out the indigenous red squirrels which are far less destructive?

Reread my paragraph O, said the same thing. Nowadays we are having large
problems in the State of Florida with imported pythons, monitor lizards
and even piranhas. People illegally import them and then realize they've
got this huge reptile or a dangerous fish and, rather than destroy it
they turn it loose. How long will it be until a small child goes missing
somewhere there?

Here's another example: Back in the late forties or early fifties
someone imported the fast growing Chinese tallow tree. Probably thinking
they could make a fortune selling pretty ornamental trees. Birds eat the
seeds, which are protected by a coating of a tallow like substance
(Chinese used them to make candles), poop out a nice seed. Within ten
years we had hundreds of thousands of the damned things growing along
every fence row, under large trees, you name it. They're still the bane
of farmers where I grew up in Texas. I could go on and on about the
perversity of man in importing things that have no natural enemies. The
worse one is the Argentine fire ant, nasty things and I'm allergic to
their bites.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/17/2011 2:31 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 7/17/2011 9:31 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>

>> Young squirrel is very good when chicken fried also.
>>>

> Sorry, George, but eating squirrel sounds about as
> appetizing as eating rat. I still love ya, though.
>
> gloria p

Protein is protein Gloria. When I was going through a military survival
school about an eon ago I ate rat, dog, cat, skunk, snake, cactus grubs
and whatever I could catch. Monkey ain't bad either. <G>

Would I eat any of them nowadays, not likely? Squirrel is a southern
traditional food and we are absolutely overrun with the damned things.
Had to throw several nice tomatoes in the compost bin today as the
squirrels take one bite and drop them. They even eat my eggplant the
devils. Only fair to eat the squirrels in return.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 7/17/2011 2:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> .com...
>>> Probably the same species, gray or "cat" squirrels. Some brainless Brit
>>> imported them to the Isles about 100 years ago. Probably the same idiot
>>> who brought English sparrows to the US.

>> Could it be the same brainbox who imported grey squirrels here which are
>> now
>> wiping out the indigenous red squirrels which are far less destructive?

> Reread my paragraph O, said the same thing. Nowadays we are having large
> problems in the State of Florida with imported pythons, monitor lizards
> and even piranhas. People illegally import them and then realize they've
> got this huge reptile or a dangerous fish and, rather than destroy it they
> turn it loose. How long will it be until a small child goes missing
> somewhere there?
>
> Here's another example: Back in the late forties or early fifties someone
> imported the fast growing Chinese tallow tree. Probably thinking they
> could make a fortune selling pretty ornamental trees. Birds eat the seeds,
> which are protected by a coating of a tallow like substance (Chinese used
> them to make candles), poop out a nice seed. Within ten years we had
> hundreds of thousands of the damned things growing along every fence row,
> under large trees, you name it. They're still the bane of farmers where I
> grew up in Texas. I could go on and on about the perversity of man in
> importing things that have no natural enemies. The worse one is the
> Argentine fire ant, nasty things and I'm allergic to their bites.

Oh how humans mess up nature.. and I won't even mention Japanese knotweed

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>
> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>
> gloria p

I was. But I'm done with my first batch of B&Bs. Each jar cost me $3
to make. Yikes.

--
Barb,
The latest jammin'; http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 1, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/17/2011 9:35 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>>
>> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>>
>> gloria p

> I was. But I'm done with my first batch of B&Bs. Each jar cost me $3
> to make. Yikes.

We went to our churches artisan fair yesterday. Lady across from Miz
Anne's booth was selling half pint jars of jelly, mostly hot pepper
jelly and something else I couldn't see the label on. She was asking
$4.00 for a jar of jell. I didn't see her sell any during the time I was
there.

Routinely I see pints of jelly at the local farmer's market going for
eight bucks a jar and they sell like hot cakes.

Of course if we have to buy the cukes, buy new jars, and then all the
stuff to make pickles it drives our cost per jar up.

Looks like no pickles for us this year unless the cukes planted recently
start producing soon. I am NOT going to buy cukes for a dollar a piece
at the supermarket and the farmer's market is wanting a buck and a
quarter and they're not even pickling cukes. Bah, humbug.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 06:59:31 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 7/17/2011 9:35 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>>>
>>> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> I was. But I'm done with my first batch of B&Bs. Each jar cost me $3
>> to make. Yikes.
>>

>We went to our churches artisan fair yesterday. Lady across from Miz
>Anne's booth was selling half pint jars of jelly, mostly hot pepper
>jelly and something else I couldn't see the label on. She was asking
>$4.00 for a jar of jell. I didn't see her sell any during the time I was
>there.
>
>Routinely I see pints of jelly at the local farmer's market going for
>eight bucks a jar and they sell like hot cakes.
>
>Of course if we have to buy the cukes, buy new jars, and then all the
>stuff to make pickles it drives our cost per jar up.
>
>Looks like no pickles for us this year unless the cukes planted recently
>start producing soon. I am NOT going to buy cukes for a dollar a piece
>at the supermarket and the farmer's market is wanting a buck and a
>quarter and they're not even pickling cukes. Bah, humbug.

Wish you two lived nearer to me. I have been overrun with cukes and
would love to get rid of a few. My last green zucchini seems to be
giving up. The yellow zucchini is still going OK.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/18/2011 9:05 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 06:59:31 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/17/2011 9:35 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> I was. But I'm done with my first batch of B&Bs. Each jar cost me $3
>>> to make. Yikes.
>>>

>> We went to our churches artisan fair yesterday. Lady across from Miz
>> Anne's booth was selling half pint jars of jelly, mostly hot pepper
>> jelly and something else I couldn't see the label on. She was asking
>> $4.00 for a jar of jell. I didn't see her sell any during the time I was
>> there.
>>
>> Routinely I see pints of jelly at the local farmer's market going for
>> eight bucks a jar and they sell like hot cakes.
>>
>> Of course if we have to buy the cukes, buy new jars, and then all the
>> stuff to make pickles it drives our cost per jar up.
>>
>> Looks like no pickles for us this year unless the cukes planted recently
>> start producing soon. I am NOT going to buy cukes for a dollar a piece
>> at the supermarket and the farmer's market is wanting a buck and a
>> quarter and they're not even pickling cukes. Bah, humbug.

> Wish you two lived nearer to me. I have been overrun with cukes and
> would love to get rid of a few. My last green zucchini seems to be
> giving up. The yellow zucchini is still going OK.

I've never grown the yellow zukes, do they taste the same as the green
and how prolific are they?

To make the amount of pickles we and the descendants eat each year takes
about 36 lbs of cukes. In a normal year we not only grow that much but
give away a fair amount and eat a lot raw or as fresh pickles with
onions. We are in our second abnormal year as far as rainfall goes.
Hopefully the trend will now turn back toward normality.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 09:11:03 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 7/18/2011 9:05 AM, The Cook wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 06:59:31 -0500, George Shirley
>> > wrote:

>>> We went to our churches artisan fair yesterday. Lady across from Miz
>>> Anne's booth was selling half pint jars of jelly, mostly hot pepper
>>> jelly and something else I couldn't see the label on. She was asking
>>> $4.00 for a jar of jell. I didn't see her sell any during the time I was
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Routinely I see pints of jelly at the local farmer's market going for
>>> eight bucks a jar and they sell like hot cakes.
>>>
>>> Of course if we have to buy the cukes, buy new jars, and then all the
>>> stuff to make pickles it drives our cost per jar up.
>>>
>>> Looks like no pickles for us this year unless the cukes planted recently
>>> start producing soon. I am NOT going to buy cukes for a dollar a piece
>>> at the supermarket and the farmer's market is wanting a buck and a
>>> quarter and they're not even pickling cukes. Bah, humbug.

>> Wish you two lived nearer to me. I have been overrun with cukes and
>> would love to get rid of a few. My last green zucchini seems to be
>> giving up. The yellow zucchini is still going OK.

>I've never grown the yellow zukes, do they taste the same as the green
>and how prolific are they?
>
>To make the amount of pickles we and the descendants eat each year takes
>about 36 lbs of cukes. In a normal year we not only grow that much but
>give away a fair amount and eat a lot raw or as fresh pickles with
>onions. We are in our second abnormal year as far as rainfall goes.
>Hopefully the trend will now turn back toward normality.

In two successive pickings, a couple of days apart, I picked 33 pounds
of pickling cukes. I really need to get and out pick again today but
it has gotten hot again.

We have gotten just enough rain recently that we have not needed to
water nor are we up to our hips in mud. Would be perfect if the weeds
didn't also like the conditions.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> On 7/17/2011 9:35 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>>>
>>> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> I was. But I'm done with my first batch of B&Bs. Each jar cost me $3
>> to make. Yikes.
>>

> We went to our churches artisan fair yesterday. Lady across from Miz
> Anne's booth was selling half pint jars of jelly, mostly hot pepper
> jelly and something else I couldn't see the label on. She was asking
> $4.00 for a jar of jell. I didn't see her sell any during the time I was
> there.
>
> Routinely I see pints of jelly at the local farmer's market going for
> eight bucks a jar and they sell like hot cakes.
>
> Of course if we have to buy the cukes, buy new jars, and then all the
> stuff to make pickles it drives our cost per jar up.
>
> Looks like no pickles for us this year unless the cukes planted recently
> start producing soon. I am NOT going to buy cukes for a dollar a piece
> at the supermarket and the farmer's market is wanting a buck and a
> quarter and they're not even pickling cukes. Bah, humbug.

I planted cukes a month ago. An "Oriental" hybrid variety, I don't
remember the name. The little plants look healthy but they are just
sitting there, not vining yet and not blooming. The squash, tomatoes,
tomatillos, and peppers are also healthy but not maturing. Not sure
what the problem is. However, there's a cantaloupe or possibly a
cucumber that came up 2 weeks ago thru a crack in the driveway near
the garbage cans. It is starting to run and I saw some blooms on it
yesterday. It's mocking me. That's OK if I get a melon or two off of
it. :-)

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hi all. Even though I got the garden in late this year (abot June 7th) every
thing seems to be going well. I have 12 Kirbys & 12 Cuke plants going here
in southern wisconsin. All of the seem to be doing well. I have never grown
them before. We haven't had any appreciable rain for almost 2 weeks now but
I have been watering the heck out of them instead. I pickled 14 green
tomatoes & 7 Kirbys yesterday in a gallon jar in the fridge. I have 3 cukes
that are about 8 in. long. There are many small Cukes & Kirbys. I have
pulled 17 zucchini ( 4lb.s 7oz. total) from 3 plants in 4 days. Buttercup
squash, Tomatoes, Watermelon, Yellow squash, Green peppers are all doing
well. I planted 2 Blueberry & 5 Raspberry bushe this year & they are doing
well. John in Southern wisconsin
PS George give me a coupla weeks & come on up & get some Cukes.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia, I have abou 8-9 recipes for squirrel. If you would lik , I could
post them here or on a different NG. John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
> Ophelia, I have abou 8-9 recipes for squirrel. If you would lik , I could
> post them here or on a different NG. John

I am happy for you to post them here but the group might think it not
appropriate, if not, my email is good
Thank you, John

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/18/2011 10:48 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> On 7/17/2011 9:35 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> I was. But I'm done with my first batch of B&Bs. Each jar cost me $3
>>> to make. Yikes.
>>>

>> We went to our churches artisan fair yesterday. Lady across from Miz
>> Anne's booth was selling half pint jars of jelly, mostly hot pepper
>> jelly and something else I couldn't see the label on. She was asking
>> $4.00 for a jar of jell. I didn't see her sell any during the time I
>> was there.
>>
>> Routinely I see pints of jelly at the local farmer's market going for
>> eight bucks a jar and they sell like hot cakes.
>>
>> Of course if we have to buy the cukes, buy new jars, and then all the
>> stuff to make pickles it drives our cost per jar up.
>>
>> Looks like no pickles for us this year unless the cukes planted
>> recently start producing soon. I am NOT going to buy cukes for a
>> dollar a piece at the supermarket and the farmer's market is wanting a
>> buck and a quarter and they're not even pickling cukes. Bah, humbug.

> I planted cukes a month ago. An "Oriental" hybrid variety, I don't
> remember the name. The little plants look healthy but they are just
> sitting there, not vining yet and not blooming. The squash, tomatoes,
> tomatillos, and peppers are also healthy but not maturing. Not sure what
> the problem is. However, there's a cantaloupe or possibly a cucumber
> that came up 2 weeks ago thru a crack in the driveway near the garbage
> cans. It is starting to run and I saw some blooms on it yesterday. It's
> mocking me. That's OK if I get a melon or two off of it. :-)
>
> -Bob

A year or so ago we bought an acorn squash at the local Kroger. I nuked
it, sliced it in half and scooped the seeds out. Filled it with sausage
and some bread crumbs and baked it. Tossed the seeds in the compost
heap. The following spring we had several squash plants growing in the
heap and eventually harvested fourteen acorn squash from the. Stored in
a wire basket in the pantry we ate them all up in about six months.
Sometimes Mother Nature gives gifts back to us.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia wrote:

> Could it be the same brainbox who imported grey squirrels here which are now
> wiping out the indigenous red squirrels which are far less destructive?

I grew up in near Buffalo and Niagra Falls in the 1960s. I remember
some red squirrels in the woods. Family who still live in the area
report they haven't seen any in many years.

gloria p wrote:

> Sorry, George, but eating squirrel sounds about as appetizing as eating rat.

Given the flavor of squirrel I might be tempted to try rat. Their diet
is nasty enough they'd need a purge method to clean them out, sort of
like escargo snails. Far too much effort to be worth doing.

Here is Chicago metro the heat wave killed my cucumber plants. the
herbs, tomatoes and peppers are doing fine.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia, I don't have email set up on giganews, but I sent the recipes via
Windows Live Mail. John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Could it be the same brainbox who imported grey squirrels here which are
>> now
>> wiping out the indigenous red squirrels which are far less destructive?

> I grew up in near Buffalo and Niagra Falls in the 1960s. I remember
> some red squirrels in the woods. Family who still live in the area
> report they haven't seen any in many years.

Do they have greys?

> Given the flavor of squirrel I might be tempted to try rat. Their diet
> is nasty enough they'd need a purge method to clean them out, sort of
> like escargo snails. Far too much effort to be worth doing.

I'll assume here that you are talking about wild rats rather than those bred
for the table, which are as safe as whatever they have been fed on. Purging
the gut of a rat is no great issue because you are not going to eat the
innards. Of greater concern are the diseases they carry on the body, in
their blood, and in the fleas, ticks, worms and other vermin that infest
them. If you are going to handle them do so with the greatest of caution:
use tightly sealed clothing including disposable gloves and plenty of insect
repellent around the joins between clothing items, especially the wrists and
neck but also the ankles. Dispose of the skin and innards directly into a
bath of disinfectant and insecticide. Ensure the body cavity is thoroughly
cleaned and cook the meat well done.

Despite squirrels sometimes being referred to as 'tree rats' and the fact
that they too are a rodent, they don't have the living or eating habits of
rats and pose a significantly lower threat.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
> Ophelia, I don't have email set up on giganews, but I sent the recipes
> via
> Windows Live Mail. John

Many thanks, John. I will let you know when it arrives

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> Ophelia, I don't have email set up on giganews, but I sent the recipes
>> via
>> Windows Live Mail. John

> Many thanks, John. I will let you know when it arrives

Nothing arrived yet

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/18/2011 3:31 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Could it be the same brainbox who imported grey squirrels here which
>>> are now
>>> wiping out the indigenous red squirrels which are far less destructive?

>> I grew up in near Buffalo and Niagra Falls in the 1960s. I remember
>> some red squirrels in the woods. Family who still live in the area
>> report they haven't seen any in many years.

> Do they have greys?
>
>> Given the flavor of squirrel I might be tempted to try rat. Their diet
>> is nasty enough they'd need a purge method to clean them out, sort of
>> like escargo snails. Far too much effort to be worth doing.

> I'll assume here that you are talking about wild rats rather than those
> bred for the table, which are as safe as whatever they have been fed on.
> Purging the gut of a rat is no great issue because you are not going to
> eat the innards. Of greater concern are the diseases they carry on the
> body, in their blood, and in the fleas, ticks, worms and other vermin
> that infest them. If you are going to handle them do so with the
> greatest of caution: use tightly sealed clothing including disposable
> gloves and plenty of insect repellent around the joins between clothing
> items, especially the wrists and neck but also the ankles. Dispose of
> the skin and innards directly into a bath of disinfectant and
> insecticide. Ensure the body cavity is thoroughly cleaned and cook the
> meat well done.
>
> Despite squirrels sometimes being referred to as 'tree rats' and the
> fact that they too are a rodent, they don't have the living or eating
> habits of rats and pose a significantly lower threat.

Squirrels do carry fleas, but not of a type that would infest your dog
or cat. Our vet says that each species of animal carries its own
parasites and the parasites don't live long when they move to another
species.

We've had rat terriers for years, Tilly being the current resident. They
were originally bred in London in the eighteen thirties, for catching
rats. The ratter would make a deal with a tenement or building owner to
clear the rats for so many pence per rat. The rat terriers would go in
and kill the rats by grabbing them in the middle and shaking them until
the neck broke and killed the rat. The ratter would then sell the rats
to the tenement residents for food for a few pence per rat. Most likely
someone else bought the hides to make gloves for someone. Nothing wasted
amongst the poor.

When I was in Hong Kong years ago it was not unusual to see cats, dogs,
rats, snakes, etc. for sale at certain shops off the main thoroughfare.
As I said before I've eaten most of them in one survival course or
another and, when you're hungry and need the protein, you don't turn
your nose up and walk away. I'm sure hungry folk somewhere in the world
are doing the same thing to this day.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia wrote:
> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote:
>> Ophelia wrote:

>> I grew up in near Buffalo and Niagra Falls in the 1960s. I remember
>> some red squirrels in the woods. Family who still live in the area
>> report they haven't seen any in many years.

> Do they have greys?

Grey squirrels, which actually range from black through light grey.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I'd love to get those recipes as well, John...
With a bit of (self-evident) modification, my addy is valid.

TIA,
Dusty - in the cool, damp PNW