Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Where is everyone?

Sorry Ophelia but I tried to send the recipes & they didn't go. I just tried
to send them again now. Please let me know if you get them. John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

just post them here, will be quicker/easier/and you will send less,... lee
"Dusty" > wrote in message
m...
> I'd love to get those recipes as well, John...
> With a bit of (self-evident) modification, my addy is valid.
>
> TIA,
> Dusty - in the cool, damp PNW
>
> wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia, I have abou 8-9 recipes for squirrel. If you would lik , I could
> post them here or on a different NG. John

Posted to rec.food.preserving

i don't think i would have interest in a chicago squirrell but in the woods
they eat much better, Lee
"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Could it be the same brainbox who imported grey squirrels here which are
>> now
>> wiping out the indigenous red squirrels which are far less destructive?

> I grew up in near Buffalo and Niagra Falls in the 1960s. I remember
> some red squirrels in the woods. Family who still live in the area
> report they haven't seen any in many years.
>
> gloria p wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, George, but eating squirrel sounds about as appetizing as eating
>> rat.

> Given the flavor of squirrel I might be tempted to try rat. Their diet
> is nasty enough they'd need a purge method to clean them out, sort of
> like escargo snails. Far too much effort to be worth doing.
>
> Here is Chicago metro the heat wave killed my cucumber plants. the
> herbs, tomatoes and peppers are doing fine.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

my mother has an albino squirrell in her walnut tree, she suspects he is a
red squirrel, because there is just a hint of red on his tail, Lee
"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote:
>>> Ophelia wrote:

>>> I grew up in near Buffalo and Niagra Falls in the 1960s. I remember
>>> some red squirrels in the woods. Family who still live in the area
>>> report they haven't seen any in many years.

>> Do they have greys?

> Grey squirrels, which actually range from black through light grey.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Recipes received and I have responded via email.

Many thanks

> wrote in message
> Sorry Ophelia but I tried to send the recipes & they didn't go. I just
> tried
> to send them again now. Please let me know if you get them. John

Posted to rec.food.preserving

What are the rules for posting recipes & the size limitations of the posts
in this NG? I don't want to do the wrong thing & create a problem. The post
is about 22.6 KB in size. John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/17/2011 2:39 PM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 7/17/2011 2:31 PM, gloria.p wrote:

>> Sorry, George, but eating squirrel sounds about as
>> appetizing as eating rat. I still love ya, though.
>>
>> gloria p

> Protein is protein Gloria. When I was going through a military survival
> school about an eon ago I ate rat, dog, cat, skunk, snake, cactus grubs
> and whatever I could catch. Monkey ain't bad either. <G>
>
> Would I eat any of them nowadays, not likely? Squirrel is a southern
> traditional food and we are absolutely overrun with the damned things.
> Had to throw several nice tomatoes in the compost bin today as the
> squirrels take one bite and drop them. They even eat my eggplant the
> devils. Only fair to eat the squirrels in return.

When I was a kid we ate stewed rabbit occasionally, both domestic and
wild. (My dad hunted.) I ate it but was never wild about it. A very
squeamish friend stopped by and Dad had her taste it, telling her it was
chicken. She raved about it. When he told her what it was, she
replied "It was so good. I'd eat it again, but only if I thought it was
chicken." That's about my speed, too.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/17/2011 8:35 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>>
>> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>>
>> gloria p

> I was. But I'm done with my first batch of B&Bs. Each jar cost me $3
> to make. Yikes.

That sounds expensive until you see what things are selling for in the
stores. A pint jar of Hellman's/Good Foods mayonnaise was priced over
$5 at the store I stopped in today. I'll wait for a sale or make it myself.

I'm sure the nation-wide bad weather (too hot, too cold, too much
rain/drought) will have a major price impact on canned and bottled
vegetable products this fall and winter.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/18/2011 9:28 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> my mother has an albino squirrell in her walnut tree, she suspects he is a
> red squirrel, because there is just a hint of red on his tail, Lee
> "Doug > wrote in message

>>> Do they have greys?

>> Grey squirrels, which actually range from black through light grey.

About 45 years ago we had an albino fox or red squirrel on our property.
For years afterward we would see squirrels running around that ranged
from near white to a pale red, reckon they were the descendants of that
lone albino. The albino lived for at least three years and then a
neighbors kid shot it and, I assume, ate it. Was neat having one around
for so long. The kids would come in all excited and tell us "Whitey is
back."
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/19/2011 9:46 AM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 7/17/2011 2:39 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>> On 7/17/2011 2:31 PM, gloria.p wrote:

>>> Sorry, George, but eating squirrel sounds about as
>>> appetizing as eating rat. I still love ya, though.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Protein is protein Gloria. When I was going through a military survival
>> school about an eon ago I ate rat, dog, cat, skunk, snake, cactus grubs
>> and whatever I could catch. Monkey ain't bad either. <G>
>>
>> Would I eat any of them nowadays, not likely? Squirrel is a southern
>> traditional food and we are absolutely overrun with the damned things.
>> Had to throw several nice tomatoes in the compost bin today as the
>> squirrels take one bite and drop them. They even eat my eggplant the
>> devils. Only fair to eat the squirrels in return.

> When I was a kid we ate stewed rabbit occasionally, both domestic and
> wild. (My dad hunted.) I ate it but was never wild about it. A very
> squeamish friend stopped by and Dad had her taste it, telling her it was
> chicken. She raved about it. When he told her what it was, she
> replied "It was so good. I'd eat it again, but only if I thought it was
> chicken." That's about my speed, too.
>

> gloria p

Picky eaters didn't last long in my family. You either ate what was put
on the table or went hungry. Worked with my kids and the grandkids and
now we're doing it to the great grands. If you're hungry enough you eat
what's there. And no PB&J instead of either.

I've found that young kids, less than teenagers, are more adventurous
than adults. One step great grand picked up a bad habit from his Mom. He
won't eat anything with a skin on it or bones in it. He came to my house
and we were having Popeye's fried chicken. The nine-year old wanted
something else because of his avoidance of skin and bones. Told him no,
either eat what is there or wait until the next meal and there would be
no snacks or dessert in between. He fussed around for a bit and then
grabbed a leg and started chewing. He suddenly found out he could eat
anything and I no longer have a problem with him. He was born with a
mild case of CP and his Mom has always babied him. He doesn't get babied
in our family, he has one weak leg but the rest of him is very healthy.
Now when they come over he always asks what we're cooking. I think it
helped when I told him birds, and chickens included, were the
descendants of the dinosaurs.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/19/2011 9:46 AM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 7/17/2011 8:35 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> You're not all slaving over a canning kettle, are you?
>>>
>>> I don't see any posts since July 8.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> I was. But I'm done with my first batch of B&Bs. Each jar cost me $3
>> to make. Yikes.
>>

> That sounds expensive until you see what things are selling for in the
> stores. A pint jar of Hellman's/Good Foods mayonnaise was priced over $5
> at the store I stopped in today. I'll wait for a sale or make it myself.
>
> I'm sure the nation-wide bad weather (too hot, too cold, too much
> rain/drought) will have a major price impact on canned and bottled
> vegetable products this fall and winter.
>
> gloria p

Look around, vegetable and fruit prices in our area have jumped at least
25% already. Mostly due to drought in Texas and other areas where our
food comes from. A goodly chunk of it is due to fuel prices for trucks.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

he has been around three or four years, and some offspring also, mom has
that better homes and garden look to her house, there are 13 walnut trees on
the fence row so they get lots of squirrell action, Lee
"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 7/18/2011 9:28 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> my mother has an albino squirrell in her walnut tree, she suspects he is
>> red squirrel, because there is just a hint of red on his tail, Lee

>>> Grey squirrels, which actually range from black through light grey.

> About 45 years ago we had an albino fox or red squirrel on our property.
> For years afterward we would see squirrels running around that ranged from
> near white to a pale red, reckon they were the descendants of that lone
> albino. The albino lived for at least three years and then a neighbors kid
> shot it and, I assume, ate it. Was neat having one around for so long. The
> kids would come in all excited and tell us "Whitey is back."

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 07/17/2011 11:01 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> What are you drying atm? I am making 'sun dried' tomatoes just now

Basic stuff while I get used to having it around: apples, bananas,
mushrooms, peaches.

Making sun-drieds sounds great but my garden is not loving the string of
100F days this summer.

--
frater mus
http://www.mousetrap.net/mouse/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hmmm...between working like mad, social/family commitments, vet
appointments, cleaning and reorganizing/getting things cleared out,
I've had no time for canning. Got 4 entries in to the state fair, got
a confirm from them but results won't come until 9/1. I have been
harvesting basil and making pesto--it's going into the freezer. I'm
keeping the basil alive by harvesting what little rainwater we've been
getting and water from the air-conditioning drain. I taught a friend
to make pesto a few weekends ago. If I can muster the energy this
weekend, I'll pull something out of the freezer and convince it to
jump into jars.

: - ]

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"fratermus" > wrote in message
> On 07/17/2011 11:01 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> What are you drying atm? I am making 'sun dried' tomatoes just now

> Basic stuff while I get used to having it around: apples, bananas,
> mushrooms, peaches.
>
> Making sun-drieds sounds great but my garden is not loving the string of
> 100F days this summer.

Heh you probably won't need your dehydrator in that heat... just hang 'em
out in your garden

It would be interesting to keep up with what is getting dried... I bake my
own bread and I dry the ends and make them into breadcrumbs.

btw note the 'sun dried'. I am drying them in the dehydrator!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

last week we thought we'd check the zucchinis. they had lots of
blossom and we thought we'd see some fingerlings.

you may all chuckle under your breath now. we had six huge ones. and
our freezer is full still cause I BUY bags of frozen mixed veg, and
pork and donated fish from a son in law, and deer from daughter.
well..... six zucchini, and not fingerlings either.

I'm stunned.... then my cousin forced four yellow squash on me, and
you may call me overwhelmed. and I can't fry them, due to I can't
use flour or bread crumbs cause I'm allergic to wheat. I'm thinking
about drying them. I know, I better think fast.
Hubby can eat lasagna but I can't, dairy allergy, so I sometimes make
it for him. and zucchini makes great lasagna noodles. and I think that
would freeze well. but I'd like to store the six zucchini NOT in the
freezer, due to space issues.

Anyway this is the FIRST of the Zucchini, not the total harvest unless
I pull the dad ratted things out.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

fry with rice flour instead of wheat, Lee
"Kitty" > wrote in message
> last week we thought we'd check the zucchinis. they had lots of
> blossom and we thought we'd see some fingerlings.
>
> you may all chuckle under your breath now. we had six huge ones. and
> our freezer is full still cause I BUY bags of frozen mixed veg, and
> pork and donated fish from a son in law, and deer from daughter.
> well..... six zucchini, and not fingerlings either.
>
> I'm stunned.... then my cousin forced four yellow squash on me, and
> you may call me overwhelmed. and I can't fry them, due to I can't
> use flour or bread crumbs cause I'm allergic to wheat. I'm thinking
> about drying them. I know, I better think fast.
> Hubby can eat lasagna but I can't, dairy allergy, so I sometimes make
> it for him. and zucchini makes great lasagna noodles. and I think that
> would freeze well. but I'd like to store the six zucchini NOT in the
> freezer, due to space issues.
>
> Anyway this is the FIRST of the Zucchini, not the total harvest unless
> I pull the dad ratted things out.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=Google+Search

--
pete
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/26/2011 11:54 PM, Kitty wrote:
> last week we thought we'd check the zucchinis. they had lots of
> blossom and we thought we'd see some fingerlings.
>
> you may all chuckle under your breath now. we had six huge ones. and
> our freezer is full still cause I BUY bags of frozen mixed veg, and
> pork and donated fish from a son in law, and deer from daughter.
> well..... six zucchini, and not fingerlings either.
>
> I'm stunned.... then my cousin forced four yellow squash on me, and
> you may call me overwhelmed. and I can't fry them, due to I can't
> use flour or bread crumbs cause I'm allergic to wheat. I'm thinking
> about drying them. I know, I better think fast.

I use yellow squash in stir fry, whatever meat is on hand, sliced
carrots, maybe other veggies, etc. We never use flour to fry zukes,
eggplant, or other veggies, we always use either corn meal or masa (corn
flour). That's the way most southerners fry their squash.

> Hubby can eat lasagna but I can't, dairy allergy, so I sometimes make
> it for him. and zucchini makes great lasagna noodles. and I think that
> would freeze well. but I'd like to store the six zucchini NOT in the
> freezer, due to space issues.

I can't think of anyway to store them other than dehydrating them and
I've never tried that method. Zukes are best stored in freezers as
grated zukes for later use IMHO. I've made zucchini and yellow squash
pickles with good results. Believe I posted the recipe here recently and
you can use either type of squash. Don't know about the big ones though
for that method. Otherwise you can do what the Brits call "vegetable
marrow" stuff a zucchini with meat and other veggies and bake.

> Anyway this is the FIRST of the Zucchini, not the total harvest unless
> I pull the dad ratted things out.

When they start coming in it is best to search the vines daily,
otherwise you get logs that might be handy in building a garden shed. <G>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Kitty wrote:
>
>> and I can't fry them, due to I can't
>> use flour or bread crumbs cause I'm allergic to wheat.

> I use yellow squash in stir fry, whatever meat is on hand, sliced
> carrots, maybe other veggies, etc. We never use flour to fry zukes,
> eggplant, or other veggies, we always use either corn meal or masa (corn
> flour). That's the way most southerners fry their squash.

Storrmmee also suggested rice flour. There are plenty of starchy
powders that work as coating for deep frying.

I'm also wheat intolerant so wheat based flour isn't an option for me
either. At my house deep fried doesn't mean breaded. Simple as that.
Plenty of foods are better deep fried not breaded than they are deep
fried breaded. Try it and see. Doesn't work for really delicate foods
like fish or squash flowers but it works fine or any land or air meat
and most veggies.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 21:54:15 -0700 (PDT), Kitty
> wrote:

> six zucchini, and not fingerlings either.

I would stuff at least one of them.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Why not make Zucchinni Soup? You don't have to add the buttermilk. It tastes
good either way. You can freeze it after you cool it. This recipe yields
about 3 Cups & it fits nicely into a 1-Qt Ziplock bag. If you freeze the bag
laying flat it takes up very little space. I have made several batches
already this year & I am going to make another batch tommorrow after I
finish canning Dill Pickles & Curried Green Tomatoes today. John

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chilled Zucchini Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Buttermilk Soup
Summer Squash Zucchini

1 onion -- chopped
1/2 cup butter
2 cups chicken broth
1 large zucchini -- cut in chunks
1 bunch celery tops
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup chives -- chopped
3 tablespoons fresh parsley -- chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
1 dash cayenne
1 tablespoon curry powder -- to taste

Sauté onion in butter. Add broth, zucchini, celery, bay leaves, chives, and
parsley. Simmer until zucchini is very soft. Remove bay leaves, and purée in
small batches with blender. Cool. Before serving add buttermilk, salt,
cayenne, and curry powder to taste. Chill and serve cold.

Per serving: 199 Calories (kcal); 17g Total Fat; (74% calories from fat); 5g
Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 44mg Cholesterol; 860mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 Fat;
0 Other Carbohydrates

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 1187 Calories (kcal); 100g Total Fat; (74% calories from fat);
32g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 265mg Cholesterol; 5128mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 19 Fat;
0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Recipe By :Elizabeth Powell
Serving Size : 6

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I have had (and made) a very simple zucchini soup--that is what the
BIG ones are for!!!

peel zucchini, cut in chunks
just barely cover with water, boil until tender
add some garlic and some salt
use either a blender or a stick blender, make it smooth
(be careful if it's hot or let it cool a bit)
eat warm or cold
tweak to your taste