Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default About to start my first dill pickles

I chickened out and I'm making a quick recipe first, but once these are
done, I'm gonna go get more cucumbers (they're 59 cents a pound this
week, and they're beautiful) and make some fermented one.

This is the recipe I'm using:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/...l_pickles.html

And then the kid will INSIST on bread-and-butter pickles, so those are next.

Wish me luck!

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/20/2011 5:33 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> I chickened out and I'm making a quick recipe first, but once these are
> done, I'm gonna go get more cucumbers (they're 59 cents a pound this
> week, and they're beautiful) and make some fermented one.
>
> This is the recipe I'm using:
> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/...l_pickles.html
>
> And then the kid will INSIST on bread-and-butter pickles, so those are
> next.
>
> Wish me luck!
>
> Serene

Skill is always better than luck. Just follow the recipe, be sure you do
each step, everything will come out fine.

I generally screw up when I'm winging it and not paying attention to the
recipe. Don't ask me how many times that has happened. Either that or I
get distracted by someone being in my kitchen.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 05/20/2011 04:42 PM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 5/20/2011 5:33 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> I chickened out and I'm making a quick recipe first, but once these are
>> done, I'm gonna go get more cucumbers (they're 59 cents a pound this
>> week, and they're beautiful) and make some fermented one.
>>
>> This is the recipe I'm using:
>> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/...l_pickles.html
>>
>> And then the kid will INSIST on bread-and-butter pickles, so those are
>> next.
>>
>> Wish me luck!
>>
>> Serene

> Skill is always better than luck. Just follow the recipe, be sure you do
> each step, everything will come out fine.

Thanks! The question I have now is what is entailed in washing a
cucumber. I know, I should just know this, but I don't. What I ended up
doing was scrubbing them with a small vegetable brush and rinsing with
warm water. Do you use anything to wash them? These were unwaxed. What
do you do if they're waxed?

> I generally screw up when I'm winging it and not paying attention to the
> recipe. Don't ask me how many times that has happened. Either that or I
> get distracted by someone being in my kitchen.

:-) I worry that my absentmindedness will cause a glitch, too. Or that
my kitchen isn't clean enough.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/20/2011 7:39 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> On 05/20/2011 04:42 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>> On 5/20/2011 5:33 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>>> I chickened out and I'm making a quick recipe first, but once these are
>>> done, I'm gonna go get more cucumbers (they're 59 cents a pound this
>>> week, and they're beautiful) and make some fermented one.
>>>
>>> This is the recipe I'm using:
>>> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/...l_pickles.html
>>>
>>> And then the kid will INSIST on bread-and-butter pickles, so those are
>>> next.
>>>
>>> Wish me luck!
>>>
>>> Serene

>> Skill is always better than luck. Just follow the recipe, be sure you do
>> each step, everything will come out fine.

> Thanks! The question I have now is what is entailed in washing a
> cucumber. I know, I should just know this, but I don't. What I ended up
> doing was scrubbing them with a small vegetable brush and rinsing with
> warm water. Do you use anything to wash them? These were unwaxed. What
> do you do if they're waxed?

I've never made pickles from store bought cukes, down here we just bring
them in from the garden, scrub them with a brush under running water and
go on from there. I would think the way you did them would be fine. In
the Middle East, where cholera was still extant we soaked them in a
solution of water and sodium hypochlorite (aka bleach). Soaked for
fifteen minutes, rinsed, and dried them. Of course these were grown
locally too.

>> I generally screw up when I'm winging it and not paying attention to the
>> recipe. Don't ask me how many times that has happened. Either that or I
>> get distracted by someone being in my kitchen.

> :-) I worry that my absentmindedness will cause a glitch, too. Or that
> my kitchen isn't clean enough.
>
> Serene

A clean kitchen is something I strive for but seldom see. I get stuff
all over the stove top and have to stop and clean it up, drop liquids on
the floor, ceramic tile, mop it up and keep going. I do sanitize all
counter tops prior to doing any canning, I use Clorox wipes and let the
counter air dry for five minutes. Never had a problem. BEETS, excuse me
Barb, DIRT CHUNKS, are a pain to clean up but they do make nice pickles.
Just opened a jar put up about a month ago, beets, onions, and garlic.
Had Pickle Crisp in there and the pickles were just delightful, very
crisp and tasty. Of course they came out of our garden and were pulled
at their peak.

Today was Miz Anne's 39th birthday, of course the last 32 birthdays have
been her 39th. My old girl is now walking without her cane around the
house, still takes it with her when we go out just in case. She sees the
surgeon again on the 25th and we will see what he has to say. She spends
a lot of time in the flower beds and the veggie garden, sitting in a
lawn chair and pulling weeds with her "Billy Mays Grabber." Breaking a
hip doesn't appear to have slowed her down much. Of course doing her
share of the housekeeping and mine to has dropped my waist line by two
inches so I'm doing better too.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 20 May 2011 15:33:58 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>I chickened out and I'm making a quick recipe first, but once these are
>done, I'm gonna go get more cucumbers (they're 59 cents a pound this
>week, and they're beautiful) and make some fermented one.
>
>This is the recipe I'm using:
>http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/...l_pickles.html
>
>And then the kid will INSIST on bread-and-butter pickles, so those are next.
>
>Wish me luck!

OK. Good luck.
And, to give the good luck a little help, I'd suggest the addition of
the appropriate amount of Pickle Crisp to each jar. Both the dills and
the B&B. It really does work.

Ross.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Thanks! The question I have now is what is entailed in washing a
> cucumber. I know, I should just know this, but I don't. What I ended up
> doing was scrubbing them with a small vegetable brush and rinsing with
> warm water. Do you use anything to wash them? These were unwaxed. What
> do you do if they're waxed?

I wash mine in the washing machine with a couple terrycloth towels.
MAYbe a drop of detergent, as likely not. Gentle cycle. Rinse and
spin. If you don't do that, what you did is spot on. At my house, it
is an outside job with a slow hose running. It's a kid's job. Builds
character.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On May 23, 12:45*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
> *Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
> > Thanks! The question I have now is what is entailed in washing a
> > cucumber. I know, I should just know this, but I don't. What I ended up
> > doing was scrubbing them with a small vegetable brush and rinsing with
> > warm water. Do you use anything to wash them? These were unwaxed. What
> > do you do if they're waxed?

> I wash mine in the washing machine with a couple terrycloth towels.
> MAYbe a drop of detergent, as likely not. *Gentle cycle. *Rinse and
> spin. *If you don't do that, what you did is spot on. *At my house, it
> is an outside job with a slow hose running. *It's a kid's job. *Builds
> character.
>
> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
> "Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
> Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;http://web.me.com/barbschaller

last time I made pickles, I washed them this way (after reading how
YOU do it, Barb). Kids thought I was nuts. But it worked

Kathi
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default About to start my first dill pickles - Hey, Serene!!

In article
Holly Jones > wrote:

> On May 23, 12:45*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > I wash mine in the washing machine with a couple terrycloth towels.
> > MAYbe a drop of detergent, as likely not. *Gentle cycle. *Rinse and
> > spin. *If you don't do that, what you did is spot on. *At my house, it
> > is an outside job with a slow hose running. *It's a kid's job. *Builds
> > character.
> >

> last time I made pickles, I washed them this way (after reading how
> YOU do it, Barb). Kids thought I was nuts. But it worked
>
> Kathi

FWIW, you won't find the method on the NCHFP site, or any other official
and blessed site ‹ they worry about contamination from the washing
machine. Before doing the pickles, I run a quick rinse cycle with a
little bleach in the water. Sometimes. :-0)

AFA the kids go, Kathi (who's Holly and why are you pretending to be
her?), it their job to think the parent is nuts. It's our job to prove
it to them. :-0)

For old times sake, we scrubbed some by hand (to show the kids we've
still got it). Pictures are here, my web site:
<http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Yes,_I
_Can%21/Entries/2009/7/24_Bread_%26_Butter_Pickles.html>

:-)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On May 24, 10:17Â*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Â*Holly Jones > wrote:
>
> > On May 23, 12:45Â*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> > wrote:
> > > I wash mine in the washing machine with a couple terrycloth towels.
> > > MAYbe a drop of detergent, as likely not. Â*Gentle cycle. Â*Rinse and
> > > spin. Â*If you don't do that, what you did is spot on. Â*At my house, it
> > > is an outside job with a slow hose running. Â*It's a kid's job. Â*Builds
> > > character.

> > last time I made pickles, I washed them this way (after reading how
> > YOU do it, Barb). Â*Kids thought I was nuts. Â*But it worked

> > Kathi

> FWIW, you won't find the method on the NCHFP site, or any other official
> and blessed site €¹ they worry about contamination from the washing
> machine. Â*Before doing the pickles, I run a quick rinse cycle with a
> little bleach in the water. Â*Sometimes. Â*:-0)
>
> AFA the kids go, Kathi (who's Holly and why are you pretending to be
> her?), it their job to think the parent is nuts. Â*It's our job to prove
> it to them. Â*:-0)

oops - I just saw that myself! Holly is my daughter, with a new gmail
account. I guess when I post here, it automatically logs in to her
account. Guess I'll have to try to fix that

I believe I gave the cukes a rinse following the laundering too - my
towels have fabric softener in them. And we don't want soft pickles
do we

Kathi

Dill pickles Nick Cramer Preserving 12 09-03-2013 10:18 PM
Dill Pickles Tim Recipes 0 23-07-2005 03:07 PM
Dill pickles Dig Preserving 0 21-03-2005 05:06 PM
Dill Pickles Dark Jedi General Cooking 1 11-07-2004 02:41 PM
Dill Pickles Alex Preserving 18 22-06-2004 05:43 PM