Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Doing Happy Dance

I wrote to Fleet Farm and asked if they could get the 4-ounce Kerr/Ball
canning jars. They researched. They said yes! I don't know if all the
stores will carry them, but my Lakeville store will have them. Nice.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/13/2011 8:33 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I wrote to Fleet Farm and asked if they could get the 4-ounce Kerr/Ball
> canning jars. They researched. They said yes! I don't know if all the
> stores will carry them, but my Lakeville store will have them. Nice.

They don't work well at our house, the descendants put the whole four
ounces on one piece of toast.

Last year our eldest granddaughter got a free case of four ounce ball
jars with coupons at a store in Conroe, TX. Lovely child gave them to
her granpa. In return she was blessed with a mixed case of jellies,
jams, and pickles. I love that girl, she always returns the jars and
rings. I am blessed.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

That is *great* Barb!!! I send my Dad low-sugar fig jam in the 4-
ouncers--just the right size for him.

: - ]
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
Mimi > wrote:

> That is *great* Barb!!! I send my Dad low-sugar fig jam in the 4-
> ouncers--just the right size for him.
>
> : - ]

Where are you getting your 4-ounce jars, Mimi?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

<snip> Where are you getting your 4-ounce jars, Mimi? <snip>

I get some of mine he

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/Jar...red-Jar-CT.htm

The jars are very plain but, I like that. Yes, I know, shipping is
*high* but, I worked the math out and with the shipping, it is about
the same $$$ as Wally World would sell the Ball ones for (about $7-$8
for 12) and they don't always have them. I think my last order was 4
boxes of 12, I ordered some other stuff too (lids for other-than-
canning-jars/storage) so, the shipping $$$ wasn't terrible.

Otherwise, some I pick up at charity shops, usually the quilted or
fruit embossed ones that Ball makes, some come back when I send them
on their way filled, some don't.

I think my local Wally World has some in stock right now but, I just
ordered some from the above link so, I think I'm set for now.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:18:06 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article
>,
> Mimi > wrote:
>
>> That is *great* Barb!!! I send my Dad low-sugar fig jam in the 4-
>> ouncers--just the right size for him.
>>
>> : - ]

>Where are you getting your 4-ounce jars, Mimi?

My local grocery store carries them -- $7.75 per box. They keep the
canning stuff in stock year around. Soon after we bought this house
in November, we went into the store and there were canning supplies.
They are usually well stocked unless I just made a major run on the
stuff.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/20/2011 5:26 PM, The Cook wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:18:06 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

>> Where are you getting your 4-ounce jars, Mimi?

> My local grocery store carries them -- $7.75 per box. They keep the
> canning stuff in stock year around. Soon after we bought this house
> in November, we went into the store and there were canning supplies.
> They are usually well stocked unless I just made a major run on the
> stuff.

I saw 4 oz jars in Target today in a shape I'd never seen before--they
were very short and squat, large-mouth. I think they were Ball brand,
but may have been Kerr. I can't find them online.

They were kind of ugly--the glass part was only about an inch high,
kind of squared off, with abrupt shoulders to the threads. The tapered,
quilted style is/was better looking.

They were packaged four @ $3.79.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> I saw 4 oz jars in Target today in a shape I'd never seen before--they
> were very short and squat, large-mouth. I think they were Ball brand,
> but may have been Kerr. I can't find them online.

Look for Ball Elite jars. They take up too much room on the Fair's
display shelves and are, therefore, not allowed. And I'll bet what you
you saw (by description) were the half pint jars; the pints are taller.
A rounded square jar.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:18:06 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

> >Where are you getting your 4-ounce jars, Mimi?

> My local grocery store carries them -- $7.75 per box. They keep the
> canning stuff in stock year around. Soon after we bought this house
> in November, we went into the store and there were canning supplies.
> They are usually well stocked unless I just made a major run on the
> stuff.

That's not too bad a price, though I try not to pay more than $7/box.
It annoys me that the smaller jars cost more than the half pint one.
<shrug>

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/20/2011 10:21 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> I saw 4 oz jars in Target today in a shape I'd never seen before--they
>> were very short and squat, large-mouth. I think they were Ball brand,
>> but may have been Kerr. I can't find them online.

> Look for Ball Elite jars. They take up too much room on the Fair's
> display shelves and are, therefore, not allowed. And I'll bet what you
> you saw (by description) were the half pint jars; the pints are taller.
> A rounded square jar.

Barb was right. They were 8 oz. Ugly 8 oz. My apology is in order.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:06:36 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:18:06 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

>> >Where are you getting your 4-ounce jars, Mimi?

>> My local grocery store carries them -- $7.75 per box. They keep the
>> canning stuff in stock year around. Soon after we bought this house
>> in November, we went into the store and there were canning supplies.
>> They are usually well stocked unless I just made a major run on the
>> stuff.

>That's not too bad a price, though I try not to pay more than $7/box.
>It annoys me that the smaller jars cost more than the half pint one.
><shrug>

I don't know what Wally World charges for them but I will support my
regional grocery store who keeps canning products year around. They
also carry Blue Bell ice cream.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:06:36 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> >That's not too bad a price, though I try not to pay more than $7/box.
> >It annoys me that the smaller jars cost more than the half pint one.
> ><shrug>

> I don't know what Wally World charges for them but I will support my
> regional grocery store who keeps canning products year around. They
> also carry Blue Bell ice cream.

I support the local merchants when I can, too. I'm excited for Fleet
Farm to get them. While they aren't the hardware store down the block,
they aren't Walmart, either. MOF, I'm going to FF later this morning
and will see what they've got in preparation for the season (though it's
quite early here for any season except snow and rain).

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/22/2011 8:45 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> The > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:06:36 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>>> That's not too bad a price, though I try not to pay more than $7/box.
>>> It annoys me that the smaller jars cost more than the half pint one.
>>> <shrug>

>> I don't know what Wally World charges for them but I will support my
>> regional grocery store who keeps canning products year around. They
>> also carry Blue Bell ice cream.

> I support the local merchants when I can, too. I'm excited for Fleet
> Farm to get them. While they aren't the hardware store down the block,
> they aren't Walmart, either. MOF, I'm going to FF later this morning
> and will see what they've got in preparation for the season (though it's
> quite early here for any season except snow and rain).

We could use some rain down here please. Yesterday afternoon we hit 80F,
right now it is 75F and we have the patio doors open letting a nice
breeze blow the winter funk out of the house.

OB: rfp talk - picked the last of the winter carrots yesterday and got
enough broccoli side shoots to both steam some and put some in our
dinner salad. Salad was made with the last of the edible lettuce, swiss
chard, BEET greens, some immature cabbage leaves, sugar snap peas picked
fresh and some shredded sharp cheddar. I'm torn between canning the
carrots or just eating them fresh, not enough for a full 18-quart
pressure canner load and enough for a couple of nice meals of steamed
carrots with butter.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I agree with ya Gloria, I think those are kind of ugly. I was given a
set of them and when I used them, I expressed that I wasn't concerned
about getting those particular jars back when gifting the contents. I
guess I'm just old school when it comes to canning jars. I just want
a plain, durable jar.

And I'm with Barb, why are the smaller jars more expensive??? Is it
because they are *cute*???

: - )

We could use some rain too George--trying to get my basil seeds to
sprout. I planted *a lot* this year because I discovered Hun Bun
*loves* pesto.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/22/2011 10:56 AM, Mimi wrote:
> I agree with ya Gloria, I think those are kind of ugly. I was given a
> set of them and when I used them, I expressed that I wasn't concerned
> about getting those particular jars back when gifting the contents. I
> guess I'm just old school when it comes to canning jars. I just want
> a plain, durable jar.
>
> And I'm with Barb, why are the smaller jars more expensive??? Is it
> because they are *cute*???
>
> : - )
>
> We could use some rain too George--trying to get my basil seeds to
> sprout. I planted *a lot* this year because I discovered Hun Bun
> *loves* pesto.

One of the reason the small jars are more expensive is the fact that the
hobbyists use them for several things, make cute little pin cushions,
make scented candles in them, etc.

I've seen other brands of jars touted as canning jars for as little as
$8.00 a case but they're the type with the one-piece lids and I'm not
sure I would trust them for home canning.

I have purchased four-ounce jars for home use when I was making "healing
salve" and also hot sauce bottles but I always ordered a mixed pallet
which was about ten cases of mixed jars and was still expensive.

It seems the ten bucks a case at the local markets is about average for
four-ounce canning jars with the two piece lids, generally made by
Jarden with either Ball or Kerr on the box.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> fresh and some shredded sharp cheddar. I'm torn between canning the
> carrots or just eating them fresh, not enough for a full 18-quart
> pressure canner load and enough for a couple of nice meals of steamed
> carrots with butter.

Eat them instead of canning them. Dried dill weed with them is good,
too. I julienne the carrots and nuke them with some dill weed and a bit
o'butter.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:
> Barb was right. They were 8 oz. Ugly 8 oz. My apology is in order.
>
> gloria p

Good thing it's not a hanging offense. I kinda like the look but I sure
don't think they look like the 8-ounce jar they are.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/23/2011 2:08 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In ews.com>,
> George > wrote:
>
>> fresh and some shredded sharp cheddar. I'm torn between canning the
>> carrots or just eating them fresh, not enough for a full 18-quart
>> pressure canner load and enough for a couple of nice meals of steamed
>> carrots with butter.

> Eat them instead of canning them. Dried dill weed with them is good,
> too. I julienne the carrots and nuke them with some dill weed and a bit
> o'butter.

Good idea, will do some of them that way tomorrow night. Along with some
nice BEETS and a sirloin steak, should be good.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mar 22, 2:34*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 3/22/2011 10:56 AM, Mimi wrote:> I agree with ya Gloria, I think those are kind of ugly. *I was given a
> > set of them and when I used them, I expressed that I wasn't concerned
> > about getting those particular jars back when gifting the contents. *I
> > guess I'm just old school when it comes to canning jars. *I just want
> > a plain, durable jar.

> > And I'm with Barb, why are the smaller jars more expensive??? *Is it
> > because they are *cute*???

> > : - )

> > We could use some rain too George--trying to get my basil seeds to
> > sprout. *I planted *a lot* this year because I discovered Hun Bun
> > *loves* pesto.

> One of the reason the small jars are more expensive is the fact that the
> hobbyists use them for several things, make cute little pin cushions,
> make scented candles in them, etc.
> Regarding price, Walmart is selling a lot of different sized jars now in four packs. w hat's up with that? who uses FOUR canning jars.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/25/2011 1:59 PM, Kitty wrote:

>> Regarding price, Walmart is selling a lot of different sized jars now in four packs. what's up with that? who uses FOUR canning jars.

It's a profit-expanding thing. You decrease the product and charge the
same price as always. :-(

Four-pack? We had a very good crop last year and I made 80 jars (8oz
and 12 oz.) of apricot jam. More than half are gone. Friends and
neighbors aren't shy about asking for more.

FWIW the last few batches were made with apricots and mango (which were
quite cheap last summer.) Very nice!

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/25/2011 3:13 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 3/25/2011 1:59 PM, Kitty wrote:
>
>>> Regarding price, Walmart is selling a lot of different sized jars now
>>> in four packs. what's up with that? who uses FOUR canning jars.

> It's a profit-expanding thing. You decrease the product and charge the
> same price as always. :-(
>
> Four-pack? We had a very good crop last year and I made 80 jars (8oz and
> 12 oz.) of apricot jam. More than half are gone. Friends and neighbors
> aren't shy about asking for more.
>
> FWIW the last few batches were made with apricots and mango (which were
> quite cheap last summer.) Very nice!
>
> gloria p

Send other forty jars to: "George loves apricot jam, Inc."
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/25/2011 3:30 PM, George Shirley wrote:

> Send other forty jars to: "George loves apricot jam, Inc."

My kids thought apricot jam was the best, too, until I made the mistake
of including a jar of apricot butter in their stash last year.

Daughter and family are packing up to move to California this summer and
just gifted me with a case of 12 half pint jam jars and another
1 1/2 cases of mixed 4-12 oz.

All in all, I'd just as soon they stayed here. :-(

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/25/2011 5:58 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 3/25/2011 3:30 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>

>> Send other forty jars to: "George loves apricot jam, Inc."

> My kids thought apricot jam was the best, too, until I made the mistake
> of including a jar of apricot butter in their stash last year.
>
> Daughter and family are packing up to move to California this summer and
> just gifted me with a case of 12 half pint jam jars and another
> 1 1/2 cases of mixed 4-12 oz.
>
> All in all, I'd just as soon they stayed here. :-(
>
> gloria p

I could never understand the attraction of the Left Coast. I have
relatives out there, first cousins and their get but they went there
during the Dust Bowl era when they could no longer stay in Oklahoma and
Kansas. I visited them a time or two until the freeway traffic and crime
got so bad, now they come to see me about every three years. Luckily the
first cousins live in Big Bear City and most crooks won't drive up the
mountain just to rob retirees. Some of the others moved on to Idaho and
a few back as far east as Colorado. If you run into any Patty's they're
mine on my Mom's side. As we say in Texas, "there's a sh** load of them
folks around."
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> On 3/25/2011 3:30 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>

> > Send other forty jars to: "George loves apricot jam, Inc."

> My kids thought apricot jam was the best, too, until I made the mistake
> of including a jar of apricot butter in their stash last year.
>
> Daughter and family are packing up to move to California this summer and
> just gifted me with a case of 12 half pint jam jars and another
> 1 1/2 cases of mixed 4-12 oz.
>
> All in all, I'd just as soon they stayed here. :-(
>
> gloria p

:-( :-( :-(
Send George one after you send me one. (Stick with me, Kid. I've got a
million good ideas.)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/26/2011 6:52 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 3/25/2011 3:30 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>>

>>> Send other forty jars to: "George loves apricot jam, Inc."

>> My kids thought apricot jam was the best, too, until I made the mistake
>> of including a jar of apricot butter in their stash last year.
>>
>> Daughter and family are packing up to move to California this summer and
>> just gifted me with a case of 12 half pint jam jars and another
>> 1 1/2 cases of mixed 4-12 oz.
>>
>> All in all, I'd just as soon they stayed here. :-(
>>
>> gloria p

> Send George one after you send me one. (Stick with me, Kid. I've got a
> million good ideas.)

Hey! Last I heard Father Confessor's outranked Mother Inferiors.