FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Lunch on the thirtieth day of January (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/404632-lunch-thirtieth-day-january.html)

George Shirley[_2_] 31-01-2011 03:42 PM

Lunch on the thirtieth day of January

Only a day late with this one. I prepared a nice lunch yesterday for Miz
Anne and I. We weren't very hungry having had a large breakfast, our
usual Sunday first meal, a large fritata with eggs, bacon(chopped),
sweet chiles, hash browns, onion, etc.

Our luncheon meal was a sub sandwich for each of us, on whole wheat
buns. Horseradish mustard was the first thing put on the bread, for Miz
Anne's I also put pimento cheese, then chopped ham luncheon meat,
lettuce, tomato, and a slice of sweet onion. For mine I used the
horseradish mustard, smoked gouda cheese, braunsweiger sliced thin,
lettuce, and onion.

The main thing I added to each plate was all home preserved pickles as
follows:

Barb's prize winning bread and butter pickles
sweet pickles I had put up early last year
pickled sunchokes with onion and sweet chiles
pickled cauliflower with onion and sweet chiles

All vas good yah! Particularly the pickles. We were so full we didn't
even eat dinner that night.

I really like the sunchoke pickled and pickled, crisp, cauliflower has
always been a favorite. We are getting such huge heads of cauliflower
that my next pickle project will be mixed garden pickles, aka giardinera
(sp?). Cauliflower, carrots from the garden, maybe some broccoli
florets, pearl onions (purchased) and probably some cucumber chunks
(purchased). Oh yeah, we're getting very large, very sweet Tokyo Cross
(white) turnips, the only way I eat them is raw or pickled so there will
be a lot of turnip in the mixed pickles plus anything else I can find of
interest at the local market.

The beauty of making lots of jars of pickles is that all the descendants
love pickles too, so there's always gifts available for the little's,
the mediums, and the larges. Little's are great grands, mediums are
grands, and larges are our children. Just an explanation of what I call
the family.

George, enjoying the warmth of our southern early spring, supposed to be
71F today. Eat your hearts out Yankees!

gloria.p 01-02-2011 05:51 PM

On 1/31/2011 7:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:

> George, enjoying the warmth of our southern early spring, supposed to be
> 71F today. Eat your hearts out Yankees!

You really know how to twist the knife, George. After 70deg. last
Friday, we woke to -12 today with no hopes of reaching positive numbers.

Your lunch sounds terrific even though I am not crazy about pickles.

gloria p

George Shirley[_2_] 04-02-2011 02:21 AM

On 2/1/2011 10:51 AM, gloria.p wrote:
> On 1/31/2011 7:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>

>> George, enjoying the warmth of our southern early spring, supposed to be
>> 71F today. Eat your hearts out Yankees!
>>

> You really know how to twist the knife, George. After 70deg. last
> Friday, we woke to -12 today with no hopes of reaching positive numbers.
>
> Your lunch sounds terrific even though I am not crazy about pickles.
>
> gloria p

We woke up to 39F this morning at 0600, right now it's 1915 and it is
36F with a light rain falling. Weather heads said freezing rain this
evening but no sign of it yet. Has been overcast all day so I don't
expect the temperature to drop much more. We've had a Blue Norther
blowing through for a couple of days now. People in the west understand
Blue Norther's, temps can drop 25 to 40 degrees F in just a few minutes.
Generally they just blow on by leaving us cold, this one is hanging on.

Lunch today was tuna melts with homemade tuna salad and smoked cheddar
on top. Dinner tonight was seafood gumbo, shrimp, oysters, and crab
meat, pretty decent even if I did make it myself. I had to use
previously frozen sweet chiles and the cold finally got our Gypsy sweet
chiles. Green onions from the garden and a bunch of dehydrated leaf
celery, frozen okra from the garden, couple of bay leaves and some baked
roux, red pepper and black pepper plus I added a little smoked paprika
to the mix this time. Served over steamed brown rice. Enough for meals
for tomorrow and Saturday, I don't how to make a little bit of anything,
my kids are in their late forties and I'm still cooking for people that
left home at eighteen. Go figure.

gloria.p 04-02-2011 03:33 AM

On 2/3/2011 6:21 PM, George Shirley wrote:

> Dinner tonight was seafood gumbo, shrimp, oysters, and crab
> meat, pretty decent even if I did make it myself. I had to use
> previously frozen sweet chiles and the cold finally got our Gypsy sweet
> chiles. Green onions from the garden and a bunch of dehydrated leaf
> celery, frozen okra from the garden, couple of bay leaves and some baked
> roux, red pepper and black pepper plus I added a little smoked paprika
> to the mix this time. Served over steamed brown rice. Enough for meals
> for tomorrow and Saturday, I don't how to make a little bit of anything,
> my kids are in their late forties and I'm still cooking for people that
> left home at eighteen. Go figure.

Sounds delicious. I know what you mean, we nearly always have leftovers
enough for a few meals.

Tonight we had curried homemade chicken soup with corn muffins.
It was good, but it was no seafood gumbo!

DH was driving back from two days of skiing and traffic was terrible
so I was happy I had planned something that would keep well until he
got home. Yesterday morning at the ski area (Copper Mt. in Summit
County) it was -25 at the base and -37 at the summit. There was a
record low number of skiers. Today he said it was warmer (less cold?)
and more populated.

gloria p