Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default This weekend

IMO, It's as easy as relish - I make Cranberry Orange Chutney every year to give out as gifts - is way tastier than cranberry sauce with turkey

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 01/08/2011 05:37 AM, Kathi wrote:

<chutney>

> IMO, It's as easy as relish -

I've never made that, either. I'm really new to canning; so far, I've
played it kind of safe.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

This is what I am making, well, made today. It is processing right
now in hot water bath:

I will be using purple onions...
Adapted From: The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving by Ellie
Topp and Margaret Howard.

The recipe yields 2 cups of finished relish (makes 1 pint or 2 half
pints)

Caramelized Red Onion Relish
2 large red onions, peeled
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup dry red wine
3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper

Slice onions into very thin slices - I cut them sort of matchstick.
Combine onions and brown sugar in a heavy skillet. Cook, uncovered,
over medium heat for about 25 minutes or until onions turn golden and
start to caramelize, stirring VERY frequently.
Stir in wine and vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat
to low and cook for about 15 minutes (this took more than 30 minutes
for me) or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring
frequently.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. If canning, ladle into
sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Add lids and rings, then
place in boiling bath.
Process 10 minutes for half pint jars in boiling water bath.

Made on:
1.1.2011 - single batch yield: 1 half-pint, 2 quarter pints
1.8.2011 - double batch yield: 2 half-pints and 1 quarter pint

This is awesome stuff. I made us a midnight snack last night of
turkey burgers with swiss cheese and some of this relish on top. Hun
Bun *loved* it.

: - ]
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jan 8, 4:42*pm, Mimi > wrote:
> This is what I am making, well, made today. *It is processing right
> now in hot water bath:
>
> I will be using purple onions...
> Adapted From: *The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving by Ellie
> Topp and Margaret Howard.
>
> The recipe yields 2 cups of finished relish (makes 1 pint or 2 half
> pints)
>
> Caramelized Red Onion Relish
> 2 large red onions, peeled
> 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
> 1 cup dry red wine
> 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
> 1/8 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
>
> Slice onions into very thin slices - I cut them sort of matchstick.
> Combine onions and brown sugar in a heavy skillet. Cook, uncovered,
> over medium heat for about 25 minutes or until onions turn golden and
> start to caramelize, stirring VERY frequently.
> Stir in wine and vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat
> to low and cook for about 15 minutes (this took more than 30 minutes
> for me) or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring
> frequently.
>
> Season to taste with salt and pepper. If canning, ladle into
> sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Add lids and rings, then
> place in boiling bath.
> Process 10 minutes for half pint jars in boiling water bath.
>
> Made on:
> 1.1.2011 - single batch yield: 1 half-pint, 2 quarter pints
> 1.8.2011 - double batch yield: 2 half-pints and 1 quarter pint
>
> This is awesome stuff. *I made us a midnight snack last night of
> turkey burgers with swiss cheese and some of this relish on top. *Hun
> Bun *loved* it.
>
> : - ]

that sounds REALLY tasty, Mimi !

Kathi
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/8/2011 3:23 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> On 01/08/2011 05:37 AM, Kathi wrote:
>
> <chutney>
>
>> IMO, It's as easy as relish -

> I've never made that, either. I'm really new to canning; so far, I've
> played it kind of safe.
>
> Serene

Which canning books do you have Serene? If you've been reading this
group then you already know that the UGA site is invaluable:
http://tinyurl.com/9fy34

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 01/08/2011 01:42 PM, Mimi wrote:
> This is what I am making, well, made today. It is processing right
> now in hot water bath:
>
> I will be using purple onions...
> Adapted From: The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving by Ellie
> Topp and Margaret Howard.
>
> The recipe yields 2 cups of finished relish (makes 1 pint or 2 half
> pints)
>
> Caramelized Red Onion Relish

This looks delicious! I'm going to try it next!

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 01/10/2011 04:46 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 1/8/2011 3:23 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> On 01/08/2011 05:37 AM, Kathi wrote:
>>
>> <chutney>
>>
>>> IMO, It's as easy as relish -

>> I've never made that, either. I'm really new to canning; so far, I've
>> played it kind of safe.

> Which canning books do you have Serene? If you've been reading this
> group then you already know that the UGA site is invaluable:
> http://tinyurl.com/9fy34

I love that site, and this newsgroup, both of which I probably refer to
more often than books. I also have the Ball Blue Book (not this very
newest one, but the one with the cheesecake on it (guess that's from
2003 -- I should probably replace that, huh?)). I've got some other
books with pickle and other preserving recipes in them, but for actual
canning, I am afraid to trust them.

I'm going to be starting a container garden this spring, so I'm hoping
to get more confident about canning. And I'm hoping my garden gives me
enough produce to use that confidence.

I've really only canned jellies so far, but they went over really well,
and they made good gifts. Oh, wait, when I worked on the farm when I
was 20 I also canned something like 100 quarts of applesauce, but I was
part of a team of people who knew what they were doing. :-)

Next, I think I'm going to try some chutneys and relishes, or perhaps
make jams from frozen fruit, just for practice.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

OMG, books on canning/preserving/jams/jellies. I've got a lot, it's
an addiction???
(I think) Then there is the jar addiction thing...

Weekend project: Use up juice leftover from making apple butter

Cider Syrup Recipe

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes

Ingredient List:

1-1/2 cups unsweetened apple cider
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
10 whole cloves
1 stick (3 inch size) cinnamon

Kitchen Equipment Needed
small saucepan

Instructions:

Step 1: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring the
mixture to a rolling boil.

Step 2: Cook, stirring constantly, for a 5-10 minutes or until
slightly thickened.

Step 3: Remove all of the cloves and the cinnamon stick with a
spoon.

Step 3: Let cool for 5-10 minutes and serve over your favorite
pancake or waffle recipe for breakfast or brunch.

Makes about 6 servings.

I might not use so much cloves...I like them just not a lot.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ooops, just noticed there were two 'Step 3's'

> Step 4: *Let cool for 5-10 minutes and serve over your favorite
> pancake or waffle recipe for breakfast or brunch.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 1/14/2011 11:31 AM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> On 01/10/2011 04:46 AM, George Shirley wrote:
>> On 1/8/2011 3:23 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>>> On 01/08/2011 05:37 AM, Kathi wrote:
>>>
>>> <chutney>

>>> I've never made that, either. I'm really new to canning; so far, I've
>>> played it kind of safe.

>> Which canning books do you have Serene? If you've been reading this
>> group then you already know that the UGA site is invaluable:
>> http://tinyurl.com/9fy34

> I love that site, and this newsgroup, both of which I probably refer to
> more often than books. I also have the Ball Blue Book (not this very
> newest one, but the one with the cheesecake on it (guess that's from
> 2003 -- I should probably replace that, huh?)). I've got some other
> books with pickle and other preserving recipes in them, but for actual
> canning, I am afraid to trust them.
>
> I'm going to be starting a container garden this spring, so I'm hoping
> to get more confident about canning. And I'm hoping my garden gives me
> enough produce to use that confidence.
>
> I've really only canned jellies so far, but they went over really well,
> and they made good gifts. Oh, wait, when I worked on the farm when I was
> 20 I also canned something like 100 quarts of applesauce, but I was part
> of a team of people who knew what they were doing. :-)
>
> Next, I think I'm going to try some chutneys and relishes, or perhaps
> make jams from frozen fruit, just for practice.
>
> Serene

"So Easy to Preserve" from the U of Georgia site is excellent as is the
Ball Big Book of Preserving. Fairly reasonably priced too.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jan 8, 8:37*am, Kathi > wrote:
> IMO, It's as easy as relish - I make Cranberry Orange Chutney every year to give out as gifts - is way tastier than cranberry sauce with turkey
>
> Kathi

Recipe please!! I'm the only one who actually EATS cranberry sauce,
and I'd love something better.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kitty" > wrote in message
> On Jan 8, 8:37 am, Kathi > wrote:
>> IMO, It's as easy as relish - I make Cranberry Orange Chutney every year
>> to give out as gifts - is way tastier than cranberry sauce with turkey
>>
>> Kathi

> Recipe please!! I'm the only one who actually EATS cranberry sauce,
> and I'd love something better.

Me too, please!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jan 20, 12:25*pm, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> "Kitty" > wrote in message

> > On Jan 8, 8:37 am, Kathi > wrote:
> >> IMO, It's as easy as relish - I make Cranberry Orange Chutney every year
> >> to give out as gifts - is way tastier than cranberry sauce with turkey

> >> Kathi

> > Recipe please!! *I'm the only one who actually EATS cranberry sauce,
> > and I'd love something better.

> Me too, please!
>
> --
> --https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Cranberry Orange Chutney

3 cups cranberries (1 bag)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup raisins
1 cup currants
1 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves

combine all ingredients in a large pot, on medium-high, stir until
sugars
are dissolved. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until
thickened. Cranberries POP so I stir and crush as necessary... Pour
in to
hot sterilized 250 ml jars, seal and BWB.

This has been a hit with my family for about.......um....hm.......12
years
now? as I said, wish I could remember where I got the recipe. I
have an
uncle who eats it with his turkey on Christmas day (instead of
cranberry
sauce) , then spreads it on cold turkey sandwiches later.....

And - you can double or triple the recipe as needed...I always do it
in
double batches....

Enjoy!

Kathi
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi" > wrote in message
> On Jan 20, 12:25 pm, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>> > Recipe please!! I'm the only one who actually EATS cranberry sauce,
>> > and I'd love something better.

>> Me too, please!
>>
>> --
>> --https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

> Cranberry Orange Chutney
>
> 3 cups cranberries (1 bag)
> 1 cup chopped onion
> 1 cup raisins
> 1 cup currants
> 1 cup cider vinegar
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
> 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
> 1/2 cup orange juice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon ginger
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1 teaspoon cloves
>
> combine all ingredients in a large pot, on medium-high, stir until
> sugars
> are dissolved. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until
> thickened. Cranberries POP so I stir and crush as necessary... Pour
> in to
> hot sterilized 250 ml jars, seal and BWB.
>
> This has been a hit with my family for about.......um....hm.......12
> years
> now? as I said, wish I could remember where I got the recipe. I
> have an
> uncle who eats it with his turkey on Christmas day (instead of
> cranberry
> sauce) , then spreads it on cold turkey sandwiches later.....
>
> And - you can double or triple the recipe as needed...I always do it
> in
> double batches....
>
> Enjoy!

Many thanks, Kathi)
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Jan 21, 9:15*am, Kathi > wrote:
> On Jan 20, 12:25*pm, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> > > Recipe please!! *I'm the only one who actually EATS cranberry sauce,
> > > and I'd love something better.

> > Me too, please!

> > --
> > --https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

> Cranberry Orange Chutney
>
> 3 cups cranberries (1 bag)
> 1 cup chopped onion
> 1 cup raisins
> 1 cup currants
> 1 cup cider vinegar
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
> 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
> 1/2 cup orange juice
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon ginger
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1 teaspoon cloves
>
> combine all ingredients in a large pot, on medium-high, stir until
> sugars
> are dissolved. * Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until
> thickened. *Cranberries POP so I stir and crush as necessary... Pour
> in to
> hot sterilized 250 ml jars, seal and BWB.
>
> This has been a hit with my family for about.......um....hm.......12
> years
> now? *as I said, wish I could remember where I got the recipe. * I
> have an
> uncle who eats it with his turkey on Christmas day (instead of
> cranberry
> sauce) , then spreads it on cold turkey sandwiches later.....
>
> And - you can double or triple the recipe as needed...I always do it
> in
> double batches....
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Kathi

OOOOOOH, this looks YUMMY. I'm going to ENJOY this, and then I'll
have to give it all away so I don't eat it all til gone. LOL

This weekend Serene Vannoy Preserving 1 07-01-2011 11:58 PM
TN: non-weekend weekend, with Beaujolais, Bdx, and Cahors DaleW Wine 8 12-01-2009 06:01 PM
Weekend BBQ [email protected] Barbecue 0 03-01-2007 03:44 PM