Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Hello

Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
are?

OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.

George
Father Inquisitor, HOSSSPOJ
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
> are?

heh I have been wondering the same thing

> OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
> morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/09/2010 09:15 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
> are?

We're with you.

> OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
> morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.

I'm going to roast some tomatoes today, which does preserve them a bit. ;-)

Next week is when I start my jellies for giving away as winter gifts. If
there aren't any appropriate fruits ready on the tree, I'll use
store-bought, but I'm pretty sure we'll at least have fuji-apple jelly.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving
djb djb is offline

On Nov 9, 12:15*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
> are?

I just started preserving apple cider using yeast. We'll see how the
experiment turns out...

Dave
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:15:17 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
>are?
>
>OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
>morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.
>
>George
>Father Inquisitor, HOSSSPOJ

Last Saturday I made 21 1/2 pint jars of jelly. Two batches of
Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got
about 4 more to do if I remove my body from the computer chair.

I did plant some garlic this morning. Think I will put in some
shallots after the last canning.

Then it is time to start the Christmas baking.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:15:17 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>>Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
>>are?
>>
>>OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
>>morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.
>>
>>George
>>Father Inquisitor, HOSSSPOJ

> Last Saturday I made 21 1/2 pint jars of jelly. Two batches of
> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got
> about 4 more to do if I remove my body from the computer chair.
>
> I did plant some garlic this morning. Think I will put in some
> shallots after the last canning.
>
> Then it is time to start the Christmas baking.

Scuppernong?

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:05:37 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:15:17 -0600, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
>>>are?
>>>
>>>OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
>>>morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.
>>>
>>>George
>>>Father Inquisitor, HOSSSPOJ

>> Last Saturday I made 21 1/2 pint jars of jelly. Two batches of
>> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got
>> about 4 more to do if I remove my body from the computer chair.
>>
>> I did plant some garlic this morning. Think I will put in some
>> shallots after the last canning.
>>
>> Then it is time to start the Christmas baking.

>Scuppernong?

A type of grape, thick skin and seeds. Indigenous to the American
South.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

>> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got

>Scuppernong?

A grape of grape. I'd be mildly surprised if he means the same scuppernong as he
http://www.willisorchards.com/produc...g?category=261
http://preview.tinyurl.com/26jcw3b
Shawn
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 14:55:49 -0500, SDT > wrote:

>>> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got

>>Scuppernong?

>A grape of grape. I'd be mildly surprised if he means the same scuppernong as he
>http://www.willisorchards.com/produc...g?category=261
>http://preview.tinyurl.com/26jcw3b
>Shawn

Mine are the Old Fashioned Bronze Scuppernongs. We also have some
"Carlos." Scuppernongs and Blue Muscadines.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:05:37 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"The Cook" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:15:17 -0600, George Shirley

>>> Last Saturday I made 21 1/2 pint jars of jelly. Two batches of
>>> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got
>>> about 4 more to do if I remove my body from the computer chair.
>>>
>>> I did plant some garlic this morning. Think I will put in some
>>> shallots after the last canning.
>>>
>>> Then it is time to start the Christmas baking.

>>Scuppernong?

> A type of grape, thick skin and seeds. Indigenous to the American
> South.

Thank you!
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:15:17 -0600, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
>>>are?
>>>
>>>OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
>>>morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.
>>>
>>>George
>>>Father Inquisitor, HOSSSPOJ

>> Last Saturday I made 21 1/2 pint jars of jelly. Two batches of
>> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got
>> about 4 more to do if I remove my body from the computer chair.
>>
>> I did plant some garlic this morning. Think I will put in some
>> shallots after the last canning.
>>
>> Then it is time to start the Christmas baking.

>Scuppernong?

Here is another article about Scuppernongs and Muscadines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuppernong

I live in North Carolina and have eaten these grapes since I was a
small child.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:05:37 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"The Cook" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:15:17 -0600, George Shirley

>>> Last Saturday I made 21 1/2 pint jars of jelly. Two batches of
>>> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got
>>> about 4 more to do if I remove my body from the computer chair.
>>>
>>> I did plant some garlic this morning. Think I will put in some
>>> shallots after the last canning.
>>>
>>> Then it is time to start the Christmas baking.

>>Scuppernong?

> Here is another article about Scuppernongs and Muscadines.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuppernong
>
> I live in North Carolina and have eaten these grapes since I was a
> small child.

Thank you again) I had never heard of such them although I had heard of
Muscadines.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
> are?
>
> OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
> morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.
>
> George
> Father Inquisitor, HOSSSPOJ

Well, I check in here everyday too, but nothing much is happening.

OB: Food preserving - 11 year old daughter sure is enjoying the strawberry
kiwi jam I made, in her lunches

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:15:17 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>>Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
>>are?
>>
>>OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
>>morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.
>>
>>George
>>Father Inquisitor, HOSSSPOJ

> Last Saturday I made 21 1/2 pint jars of jelly. Two batches of
> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got
> about 4 more to do if I remove my body from the computer chair.
>
> I did plant some garlic this morning. Think I will put in some
> shallots after the last canning.
>
> Then it is time to start the Christmas baking.

OMG!!! Christmas baking - is it time already????

> --
> Susan N.
>
> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
> are?
>
> OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
> morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.
>
> George
> Father Inquisitor, HOSSSPOJ

I opened a jar of mango-apricot jam this morning. It was good but the
mango didn't make much of a statement. OTOH, fresh mangos were
wonderful this summer and we were treated to a new variety, Ataulfo or
Champagne mangos from Mexico. They were delicious, a little less
"piney" or "turpentiney" than the standard we always see. We had them
most of the summer but they disappeared in September.

The weather has been gorgeous here, one of the prettiest autumns we've
had in the 26 years we've lived here because we didn't have a frost till
late October and today was our first snow of the year in Denver. The
leaves are still on many of the trees,and the reds and golds were just
superlative.

Yes, it's snowing and cold here now after most of Sept. and Oct. being
in the mid to high 70s. :-(

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

djb wrote:
> On Nov 9, 12:15 pm, George Shirley > wrote:
>> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
>> are?

> I just started preserving apple cider using yeast. We'll see how the
> experiment turns out...
>
> Dave

Preserve or ferment?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/9/2010 11:59 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:15:17 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
>> are?
>>
>> OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
>> morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.
>>
>> George
>> Father Inquisitor, HOSSSPOJ

> Last Saturday I made 21 1/2 pint jars of jelly. Two batches of
> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got
> about 4 more to do if I remove my body from the computer chair.
>
> I did plant some garlic this morning. Think I will put in some
> shallots after the last canning.
>
> Then it is time to start the Christmas baking.

We're planning to move away from Louisiana sometime in 2011, would next
door to you be okay? <G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/9/2010 1:55 PM, SDT wrote:

>>> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got

>> Scuppernong?

> A grape of grape. I'd be mildly surprised if he means the same scuppernong as he
> http://www.willisorchards.com/produc...g?category=261
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/26jcw3b
> Shawn

Scuppernongs are just a green variety of the common southern muscadine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuppernong

We have muscadines around here, the original is deep purple, there are
also bronze muscadines, and, as noted above, the scuppernong variety is
green.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscadine

All of them can be eaten raw, made into wine, jellies, etc. I've even
made the wine and then fed it some mother of vinegar and had muscadine
vinegar. Very useful, grow anywhere the winter temps don't get below 10F
as they freeze easily.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
> are?

Will be canning some venison today, if I can find my salt per pint note.

Mark
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 18:40:37 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 11/9/2010 11:59 AM, The Cook wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:15:17 -0600, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
>>> are?
>>>
>>> OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
>>> morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.
>>>
>>> George
>>> Father Inquisitor, HOSSSPOJ

>> Last Saturday I made 21 1/2 pint jars of jelly. Two batches of
>> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got
>> about 4 more to do if I remove my body from the computer chair.
>>
>> I did plant some garlic this morning. Think I will put in some
>> shallots after the last canning.
>>
>> Then it is time to start the Christmas baking.

>We're planning to move away from Louisiana sometime in 2011, would next
>door to you be okay? <G>

I would love to have you as a neighbor but the house next door has
been be sold already. But it hasn't closed yet. You, Miz Anne and
dog could live on the first floor with plenty of room on the 2nd and
3rd floors for all of your descendents to visit at once. The basement
would be great for hobbies.

The house you would really like is one that we almost bought. It had
a second kitchen in the basement. Unfortunately, the rest of the
house didn't fit us.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/10/2010 6:27 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 18:40:37 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> On 11/9/2010 11:59 AM, The Cook wrote:
>>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:15:17 -0600, George Shirley

>>> Last Saturday I made 21 1/2 pint jars of jelly. Two batches of
>>> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got
>>> about 4 more to do if I remove my body from the computer chair.
>>>
>>> I did plant some garlic this morning. Think I will put in some
>>> shallots after the last canning.
>>>
>>> Then it is time to start the Christmas baking.

>> We're planning to move away from Louisiana sometime in 2011, would next
>> door to you be okay?<G>

> I would love to have you as a neighbor but the house next door has
> been be sold already. But it hasn't closed yet. You, Miz Anne and
> dog could live on the first floor with plenty of room on the 2nd and
> 3rd floors for all of your descendents to visit at once. The basement
> would be great for hobbies.
>
> The house you would really like is one that we almost bought. It had
> a second kitchen in the basement. Unfortunately, the rest of the
> house didn't fit us.

With my beat up old legs a multi-story house is out of the question. Oh
well, one can always dream.

Where we're thinking of moving there is a home built in 1926 that is
attractive. Another has a canning kitchen "adjacent to the garden"
according to the ad, that one is also attractive. We need one with an
art studio or we will be back to a cluttered house like we have now.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/10/2010 5:26 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like
>> we are?

> Will be canning some venison today, if I can find my salt per pint note.
>
> Mark

I helped some friends in Casper, Wyoming can a winters worth of elk once
a long time ago. The didn't put any salt in it. Never wondered why until
now.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:46:19 -0500, "Kathi Jones" >
wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:15:17 -0600, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
>>>are?
>>>
>>>OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
>>>morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.
>>>
>>>George
>>>Father Inquisitor, HOSSSPOJ

>> Last Saturday I made 21 1/2 pint jars of jelly. Two batches of
>> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got
>> about 4 more to do if I remove my body from the computer chair.
>>
>> I did plant some garlic this morning. Think I will put in some
>> shallots after the last canning.
>>
>> Then it is time to start the Christmas baking.

>OMG!!! Christmas baking - is it time already????

Need to get my fruitcakes done so I can mail then early in December. I
am thinking about freezing cookies. That way I can make them and have
the kids take them home unbaked and frozen (I'm expecting them for
Christmas) or bake them before they leave.

Reminder to self: make sure I have enough containers to send
leftovers.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like
> we are?
>
> OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
> morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.

sounds wonderful! i love lime,
but haven't ever tried it with figs.

have you ever tried making any of the
Indian pickles (relishes) for putting up
limes and various forms of fruits? some
of them also use lime and i fondly remember
a garlic & lime pickle and cannot get it
to work when i try to make it.

i'm still planting for spring here.
another nice week of weather so it's been
great and i've been outside most days.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/10/2010 8:43 AM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like
>> we are?
>>
>> OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
>> morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.

> sounds wonderful! i love lime,
> but haven't ever tried it with figs.
>
> have you ever tried making any of the Indian pickles (relishes) for
> putting up
> limes and various forms of fruits? some
> of them also use lime and i fondly remember
> a garlic & lime pickle and cannot get it
> to work when i try to make it.

Nope, I have a serious aversion to Indian food, got some really bad
stuff once and don't eat it anymore.

> i'm still planting for spring here.
> another nice week of weather so it's been
> great and i've been outside most days.
>

> songbird

Spring is always nice, around here early fall is also nice.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like we
> are?
>
> OB: Food preserving, opened a jar of fig jam with lime slices this
> morning, super good, will have to try to remember that.
>
> George
> Father Inquisitor, HOSSSPOJ

I've got about 5 or 6 pounds of jalapenos (mostly red) and a few
tabasco peppers to do something with before they go bad; I'll probably
make a gallon or two of picante sauce this weekend and put it up in
pint jars, and slice-and-freeze the rest of 'em.

The weather is warm up here right now. 60's I think. But we've had a
taste of cold weather already, and I don't like it. It'll be back by
the weekend -- maybe even the evil white stuff.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:46:19 -0500, "Kathi Jones" >
> wrote:
>

>>"The Cook" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:15:17 -0600, George Shirley

>>> Last Saturday I made 21 1/2 pint jars of jelly. Two batches of
>>> Scuppernong and 1 of rhubarb. Sunday I canned 7 quarts of pintos. Got
>>> about 4 more to do if I remove my body from the computer chair.
>>>
>>> I did plant some garlic this morning. Think I will put in some
>>> shallots after the last canning.
>>>
>>> Then it is time to start the Christmas baking.

>>OMG!!! Christmas baking - is it time already????

> Need to get my fruitcakes done so I can mail then early in December. I
> am thinking about freezing cookies. That way I can make them and have
> the kids take them home unbaked and frozen (I'm expecting them for
> Christmas) or bake them before they leave.
>
> Reminder to self: make sure I have enough containers to send
> leftovers.
> --
> Susan N.

fruitcake - the only one who likes it in my family is my dad, but I've been
thinking I'd like to try making it one year anyway....maybe people would
like it more if they tried the home made? that boxed stuff that you can buy
everywhere and that lasts for a million years is awful !

I do several kinds of cookies too, and freeze them - pull them out as
needed. I also make buns (using my bread maker for the dough) and freeze
those. In both cases, I'm prepared in advance and only have to thaw before
serving.

Kathi - thinking ya, it's time to start Christmas baking.....

> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/10/2010 6:05 PM, Kathi Jones wrote:
> "The > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:46:19 -0500, "Kathi >
>> wrote:

>>> OMG!!! Christmas baking - is it time already????

>> Need to get my fruitcakes done so I can mail then early in December. I
>> am thinking about freezing cookies. That way I can make them and have
>> the kids take them home unbaked and frozen (I'm expecting them for
>> Christmas) or bake them before they leave.
>>
>> Reminder to self: make sure I have enough containers to send
>> leftovers.
>> --
>> Susan N.

> fruitcake - the only one who likes it in my family is my dad, but I've been
> thinking I'd like to try making it one year anyway....maybe people would
> like it more if they tried the home made? that boxed stuff that you can buy
> everywhere and that lasts for a million years is awful !

My MIL baked a number of fruit cakes every year for about forty-five
years. We even got them before Christmas when we lived in Saudi Arabia.
She was about 90 yo when she quit making them and passed away at 100
years and five months. Now the middle girl, Miz Anne's three years
younger sister makes them from the same recipe and sends them to us.
They're always good too.

> I do several kinds of cookies too, and freeze them - pull them out as
> needed. I also make buns (using my bread maker for the dough) and freeze
> those. In both cases, I'm prepared in advance and only have to thaw before
> serving.
>
> Kathi - thinking ya, it's time to start Christmas baking.....

I make waffles and pancakes pretty often for Miz Anne to have for a
quick breakfast before she goes off to do battle with the heathens at
her school. All this reminded me I had better get in gear, she ate the
last waffle yesterday. I'm going to make ginger bread waffles, blueberry
pancakes, and cinnamon pear pancakes. That should hold her until
Christmas. The pear slices are some I put up last fall.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> I make waffles and pancakes pretty often for Miz Anne to have for a
> quick breakfast before she goes off to do battle with the heathens at
> her school. All this reminded me I had better get in gear, she ate the
> last waffle yesterday. I'm going to make ginger bread waffles, blueberry
> pancakes, and cinnamon pear pancakes. That should hold her until
> Christmas. The pear slices are some I put up last fall.

Wow. If Miz Anne ever leaves you, would you call me? (In 44 years I
don't recall DH ever cooking a meal. He does the grilling if I prep
everything ahead of time.)
;-)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

<Sunny> wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:14:58 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>>My MIL baked a number of fruit cakes every year for about forty-five
>>years. We even got them before Christmas when we lived in Saudi Arabia.
>>She was about 90 yo when she quit making them and passed away at 100
>>years and five months. Now the middle girl, Miz Anne's three years
>>younger sister makes them from the same recipe and sends them to us.
>>They're always good too.
>>

> Any chance of getting Miz Anne's recipe? My late Mom's fruitcake as
> being much better than store-bought. But I didn't get her recipe.

I would like to see it too? If anyone is interested I can share mine.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> I make waffles and pancakes pretty often for Miz Anne to have for a
>> quick breakfast before she goes off to do battle with the heathens at her
>> school. All this reminded me I had better get in gear, she ate the last
>> waffle yesterday. I'm going to make ginger bread waffles, blueberry
>> pancakes, and cinnamon pear pancakes. That should hold her until
>> Christmas. The pear slices are some I put up last fall.

> Wow. If Miz Anne ever leaves you, would you call me? (In 44 years I
> don't recall DH ever cooking a meal. He does the grilling if I prep
> everything ahead of time.)

Darn you just beat me to it....
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> On 11/10/2010 5:26 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>> Is anyone doing anything or is everyone just trying to stay warm like
>>> we are?

>> Will be canning some venison today, if I can find my salt per pint note.
>>
>> Mark

> I helped some friends in Casper, Wyoming can a winters worth of elk once
> a long time ago. The didn't put any salt in it. Never wondered why until
> now.

I guess we could can without salt when Momma wants to use it in recipes,
but this is my "midnight snack" more often than not. Adding a little
salt improves the out of the jar taste. Was about 1/2-1 tsp/pint. We
aren't big salters, so the smaller amount is fine.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> I make waffles and pancakes pretty often for Miz Anne to have for a
>> quick breakfast before she goes off to do battle with the heathens at her
>> school. All this reminded me I had better get in gear, she ate the last
>> waffle yesterday. I'm going to make ginger bread waffles, blueberry
>> pancakes, and cinnamon pear pancakes. That should hold her until
>> Christmas. The pear slices are some I put up last fall.

> Wow. If Miz Anne ever leaves you, would you call me? (In 44 years I
> don't recall DH ever cooking a meal. He does the grilling if I prep
> everything ahead of time.)
> ;-)
>
> gloria p

ya, and those cinnamon pear pancakes sound pretty yummy!

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:14:58 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 11/10/2010 6:05 PM, Kathi Jones wrote:
>> "The > wrote in message

>>> Need to get my fruitcakes done so I can mail then early in December. I
>>> am thinking about freezing cookies. That way I can make them and have
>>> the kids take them home unbaked and frozen (I'm expecting them for
>>> Christmas) or bake them before they leave.
>>>
>>> Reminder to self: make sure I have enough containers to send
>>> leftovers.
>>> --
>>> Susan N.

>> fruitcake - the only one who likes it in my family is my dad, but I've been
>> thinking I'd like to try making it one year anyway....maybe people would
>> like it more if they tried the home made? that boxed stuff that you can buy
>> everywhere and that lasts for a million years is awful !

>My MIL baked a number of fruit cakes every year for about forty-five
>years. We even got them before Christmas when we lived in Saudi Arabia.
>She was about 90 yo when she quit making them and passed away at 100
>years and five months. Now the middle girl, Miz Anne's three years
>younger sister makes them from the same recipe and sends them to us.
>They're always good too.

The recipe I use is my MIL's. She gave me the recipe in the mid
1970's and after a couple of years I became the family fruitcake
maker. Now not just DH's family get the cakes but my family too. I
always make 2 batches.

>> I do several kinds of cookies too, and freeze them - pull them out as
>> needed. I also make buns (using my bread maker for the dough) and freeze
>> those. In both cases, I'm prepared in advance and only have to thaw before
>> serving.
>>
>> Kathi - thinking ya, it's time to start Christmas baking.....

Maybe I will make some waffles and put them in the freezer. And some
rolls. Be nice to have some good bread and not have the hassle of
trying to do it with company here.

>I make waffles and pancakes pretty often for Miz Anne to have for a
>quick breakfast before she goes off to do battle with the heathens at
>her school. All this reminded me I had better get in gear, she ate the
>last waffle yesterday. I'm going to make ginger bread waffles, blueberry
>pancakes, and cinnamon pear pancakes. That should hold her until
>Christmas. The pear slices are some I put up last fall.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/10/2010 9:36 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> I make waffles and pancakes pretty often for Miz Anne to have for a
>> quick breakfast before she goes off to do battle with the heathens at
>> her school. All this reminded me I had better get in gear, she ate the
>> last waffle yesterday. I'm going to make ginger bread waffles,
>> blueberry pancakes, and cinnamon pear pancakes. That should hold her
>> until Christmas. The pear slices are some I put up last fall.

> Wow. If Miz Anne ever leaves you, would you call me? (In 44 years I
> don't recall DH ever cooking a meal. He does the grilling if I prep
> everything ahead of time.)
> ;-)
>
> gloria p

I don't think she's going to leave after fifty years of my cooking. <G>
The men in my family have always been pretty decent cooks. I think we
had to, the only thing good about my mother's cooking was that is was
free! She learned to cook in a fireplace and later on coal or wood
burning stoves. Every thing was either boiled to death or charred in a
frying pan.

Miz Anne is a good cook herself on certain things, she makes a lemon
meringue pie to die for, is very good at pastries, etc. She is also easy
to feed, as the middle child of five she learned to eat whatever was put
in front of her and to stay out of arms reach of the forks of her two
older brothers. I wouldn't trade her for a dozen good cooks.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/11/2010 2:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> <Sunny> wrote in message ...
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:14:58 -0600, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> My MIL baked a number of fruit cakes every year for about forty-five
>>> years. We even got them before Christmas when we lived in Saudi
>>> Arabia. She was about 90 yo when she quit making them and passed away
>>> at 100 years and five months. Now the middle girl, Miz Anne's three
>>> years younger sister makes them from the same recipe and sends them
>>> to us. They're always good too.
>>>

>> Any chance of getting Miz Anne's recipe? My late Mom's fruitcake as
>> being much better than store-bought. But I didn't get her recipe.

> I would like to see it too? If anyone is interested I can share mine.

We don't have the recipe, her sister inherited that and has shown no
sign of sharing.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/11/2010 4:00 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>>>

>>> Will be canning some venison today, if I can find my salt per pint note.
>>>
>>> Mark

>> I helped some friends in Casper, Wyoming can a winters worth of elk
>> once a long time ago. The didn't put any salt in it. Never wondered
>> why until now.

> I guess we could can without salt when Momma wants to use it in recipes,
> but this is my "midnight snack" more often than not. Adding a little
> salt improves the out of the jar taste. Was about 1/2-1 tsp/pint. We
> aren't big salters, so the smaller amount is fine.

I seldom use salt in anything that doesn't need it for preservation, bad
heart and lots of meds, don't miss it anymore and don't even have a salt
shaker on the table. Grandkids come over I have to dig out the salt
shaker and then fuss at them for salting everything before they taste
it. It's the McDonald's generation I guess.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 06:37:12 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 11/10/2010 6:27 AM, The Cook wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 18:40:37 -0600, George Shirley
>> > wrote:

>>> We're planning to move away from Louisiana sometime in 2011, would next
>>> door to you be okay?<G>

>> I would love to have you as a neighbor but the house next door has
>> been be sold already. But it hasn't closed yet. You, Miz Anne and
>> dog could live on the first floor with plenty of room on the 2nd and
>> 3rd floors for all of your descendents to visit at once. The basement
>> would be great for hobbies.
>>
>> The house you would really like is one that we almost bought. It had
>> a second kitchen in the basement. Unfortunately, the rest of the
>> house didn't fit us.

>With my beat up old legs a multi-story house is out of the question. Oh
>well, one can always dream.
>
>Where we're thinking of moving there is a home built in 1926 that is
>attractive. Another has a canning kitchen "adjacent to the garden"
>according to the ad, that one is also attractive. We need one with an
>art studio or we will be back to a cluttered house like we have now.

I think I would rather have a canning kitchen as part of the house,
maybe somewhere that could be closed off. Keep all of the supplies
and maybe even the finished products there. Oh well, there is nowhere
on the main level where an addition could be put.

But if "adjacent to the garden" meant part of the house with an entry
from the garden it would be great.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 11/11/2010 2:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> <Sunny> wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:14:58 -0600, George Shirley

>>> Any chance of getting Miz Anne's recipe? My late Mom's fruitcake as
>>> being much better than store-bought. But I didn't get her recipe.

>> I would like to see it too? If anyone is interested I can share mine.

> We don't have the recipe, her sister inherited that and has shown no sign
> of sharing.

On I never did understand that. You are welcome to mine if you want it.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/11/2010 6:03 AM, Kathi Jones wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>

>>> I make waffles and pancakes pretty often for Miz Anne to have for a
>>> quick breakfast before she goes off to do battle with the heathens at her
>>> school. All this reminded me I had better get in gear, she ate the last
>>> waffle yesterday. I'm going to make ginger bread waffles, blueberry
>>> pancakes, and cinnamon pear pancakes. That should hold her until
>>> Christmas. The pear slices are some I put up last fall.

>> Wow. If Miz Anne ever leaves you, would you call me? (In 44 years I
>> don't recall DH ever cooking a meal. He does the grilling if I prep
>> everything ahead of time.)
>> ;-)
>>
>> gloria p

> ya, and those cinnamon pear pancakes sound pretty yummy!
>
> Kathi

Pretty simple to make Kathi, put cinnamon into any pancake batter then
lay a few slices of canned pear in the batter and cook as usual. I
generally pour the batter on my nearly fifty year old Toastmaster
counter top grill (waffle iron on one side of plates, flat plate on
other side) then add the drained pear slices. I don't try for pretty
patterns with the slices, usually just pinwheel them.