Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Hello

On 11/11/2010 7:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

>>> I would like to see it too? If anyone is interested I can share mine.

>> We don't have the recipe, her sister inherited that and has shown no
>> sign of sharing.

> On I never did understand that. You are welcome to mine if you want it.

I don't think it's deliberate, she just never thought of sharing,
probably would if we asked. We don't eat a lot of fruitcake, what with
me being diabetic, so the one she sends at Christmas is more than
adequate for us. There are a number of very good fruitcake recipes
online, I've downloaded a few myself, just to make some for the descendants.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/11/2010 7:10 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 06:37:12 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> On 11/10/2010 6:27 AM, The Cook wrote:
>>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 18:40:37 -0600, George Shirley

>>> I would love to have you as a neighbor but the house next door has
>>> been be sold already. But it hasn't closed yet. You, Miz Anne and
>>> dog could live on the first floor with plenty of room on the 2nd and
>>> 3rd floors for all of your descendents to visit at once. The basement
>>> would be great for hobbies.
>>>
>>> The house you would really like is one that we almost bought. It had
>>> a second kitchen in the basement. Unfortunately, the rest of the
>>> house didn't fit us.

>> With my beat up old legs a multi-story house is out of the question. Oh
>> well, one can always dream.
>>
>> Where we're thinking of moving there is a home built in 1926 that is
>> attractive. Another has a canning kitchen "adjacent to the garden"
>> according to the ad, that one is also attractive. We need one with an
>> art studio or we will be back to a cluttered house like we have now.

> I think I would rather have a canning kitchen as part of the house,
> maybe somewhere that could be closed off. Keep all of the supplies
> and maybe even the finished products there. Oh well, there is nowhere
> on the main level where an addition could be put.
>
> But if "adjacent to the garden" meant part of the house with an entry
> from the garden it would be great.

Nope, the house in question has the canning house about fifty feet from
the main house, a bit inconvenient in my opinion. We have a five by nine
foot pantry adjacent to the kitchen, that's where a goodly portion of
our canning supplies and canned foods are kept. Cases of empty jars are
in the closet in my office, convenient to me and where I can keep
marauders from stealing my jars to use for other purposes.

I just cut a contract with a young man to come and paint the house
inside and out and do a lot of repairs. We've lived in this old house
for twenty years now, the longest we've lived anywhere in fifty years of
marriage. In a way moving will be sad, in the better way we will be two
hours closer to our kids and grands. Even ten years ago I would have
done all the work myself but, alas, age and infirmity catches up to all
of us. The last time the house was painted outside was in 1997, Miz
Anne, myself, our son, our daughter and her three, at that time, teenage
kids, painted the entire exterior in three days. It has held up well but
is starting to show its age. Quality paint goes a long way.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

>>> I would like to see it too? If anyone is interested I can share mine.

>> We don't have the recipe, her sister inherited that and has shown no
>> sign of sharing.

> On I never did understand that. You are welcome to mine if you want it.

My mom used to send me a fruitcake every year. A few years ago, she
sent me the recipe instead. "Make your own fruitcake" :-)

I can send it to ya if you want it. (the recipe) I think it's from
_The Houston Chronicle_.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> We don't have the recipe, her sister inherited that and has shown no
>>> sign of sharing.

>> On I never did understand that. You are welcome to mine if you want
>> it.

> My mom used to send me a fruitcake every year. A few years ago, she sent
> me the recipe instead. "Make your own fruitcake" :-)
>
> I can send it to ya if you want it. (the recipe) I think it's from _The
> Houston Chronicle_.

Hey thanks, Bob I would like that! My email is good

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> I seldom use salt in anything that doesn't need it for preservation, bad
> heart and lots of meds, don't miss it anymore and don't even have a salt
> shaker on the table. Grandkids come over I have to dig out the salt
> shaker and then fuss at them for salting everything before they taste
> it. It's the McDonald's generation I guess.

LOL!!!

I've had high blood pressure since mid 70's when salt was the #1 bad
guy. Today we don't even discuss salt with newly diagnosed patients.
From the above; my Mom cooked with no salt for me (I was 18) and so we
salt very little also. I do truly enjoy lots of pepper; Momma comments
my potatoes look like Mt. St. Helen's when I finish. But she has learned
to cook like my Mom did, and we get the benefit of enjoying spices and
herbs in lieu of salt. (mebbe that's why I dislike fast food) Never
thought about that until your comment George.
Cholula is also a staple on the table. The sauce from your stompin
grounds (Tabasco) has way too much vinegar for me, unless you get the
green or orange variety, and they are hard to find here in good old
German land of salt and pepper. Guess that's why I like sour pickles,
no vinegar.
Man I hope I get used to this time change soon, getting up at 4am and
falling asleep at 9pm ain't much for the social life. Even beat the old
dog to bed. Actually have time to look at email and newsgroups.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/12/2010 4:26 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>> I seldom use salt in anything that doesn't need it for preservation,
>> bad heart and lots of meds, don't miss it anymore and don't even have
>> a salt shaker on the table. Grandkids come over I have to dig out the
>> salt shaker and then fuss at them for salting everything before they
>> taste it. It's the McDonald's generation I guess.

> LOL!!!
>
> I've had high blood pressure since mid 70's when salt was the #1 bad
> guy. Today we don't even discuss salt with newly diagnosed patients.
> From the above; my Mom cooked with no salt for me (I was 18) and so we
> salt very little also. I do truly enjoy lots of pepper; Momma comments
> my potatoes look like Mt. St. Helen's when I finish. But she has learned
> to cook like my Mom did, and we get the benefit of enjoying spices and
> herbs in lieu of salt. (mebbe that's why I dislike fast food) Never
> thought about that until your comment George.
> Cholula is also a staple on the table. The sauce from your stompin
> grounds (Tabasco) has way too much vinegar for me, unless you get the
> green or orange variety, and they are hard to find here in good old
> German land of salt and pepper. Guess that's why I like sour pickles, no
> vinegar.
> Man I hope I get used to this time change soon, getting up at 4am and
> falling asleep at 9pm ain't much for the social life. Even beat the old
> dog to bed. Actually have time to look at email and newsgroups.

I have always made my own hot sauce, it's about 30% vinegar for the
storage capabilities. It's dirt easy to make as I don't bother to
ferment the chiles for very long. In my climate they will mold over
before fermenting due to ambient heat.

What's a social life? At 71 years of age I've forgotten about one. I go
to bed by 9 pm nearly every night and am up by 6 am. Still need to get
in a couple of naps during the day. My rat terrier reminds me when it's
nap time by coming to wherever I am and trying to lead me to OUR easy chair.

I actually like the taste of vinegar in stuff, may be why I make so many
pickles every year.

I go to McDonald's about once a week now as I am a member of the
ROMEO's, Retired Old Men Eating Out. There are five or six of us and the
rest are there six days a week, me only on Saturday anymore. Most are
veterans, most are over 70, most are quite opinionated and like to
argue. I have strong opinions but don't argue with idiots. <G> I only
eat one sausage burrito or an egg mcmuffin. Those two items are 350
calories each, have no salt on them. The rest of their fare runs from
450 to 1200 calories or more and are heavily salted. I don't even drink
their coffee, tastes bad to me, I usually drink a "senior cold drink", a
diet coke in a little cup for kids, suits me. The folks who own the
local franchise are very nice to old people, we get discounts, free
drinks on Monday, etc. They even gave us all a nice ceramic coffee cup
several years ago. They're not being altruistic, seniors spend a lot of
money with them and are there every day. Our group is there by 0700,
gone by 0800, two other groups show up at 0830 (after morning mass) and
at 0900 (lazy buggers that sleep in every morning). Mickey Dee is not
losing money on us.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> Grandkids come over I have to dig out the salt
> shaker and then fuss at them for salting everything before they taste
> it.

Many people could not tell good food from bad food to save their life.
No taste. Some of them are so lacking in taste it is beyond their kenn
that someone could do a good job at cooking. I think it has always been
that way not a reflection of recent changes.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message

> What's a social life? At 71 years of age ...

71? You keep saying you are old!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you must be at least
90!!!!

71 indeed.. pah!!!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>
>> What's a social life? At 71 years of age ...

> 71? You keep saying you are old!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you must be at
> least 90!!!!
>
> 71 indeed.. pah!!!

Old is relative--it's always 15 years older than you are at the moment.

(And it doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese, a bottle of wine, or a
tree.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/12/2010 12:07 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>
>> What's a social life? At 71 years of age ...

> 71? You keep saying you are old!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you must be at
> least 90!!!!
>
> 71 indeed.. pah!!!

With my family history 71 is really old. My Dad died at 71, my Grandad
at 58, my Great Granddad at 24, one uncle at 33, another made it to 76
and fell over dead one day. My only surviving uncle on my Dad's side is
96 and totally bedridden, deaf, and mostly blind.

My mother's brothers all died at somewhere between 70 and 80, two of her
three sisters died of cancer in their thirties, her mother died before I
was born, her surviving sister died in 1973. Mom lived to be 89, go figure.

Both my half sisters are cancer survivors, one had a radical mastectomy,
the other a lumpectomy. One will be 84 in January if she makes it, she's
in hospice now, her COPD has gotten worse. Don't ever let anyone tell
you that smoking for 60 years won't kill you eventually. The other is 80
now and a recluse and still smokes.

Pah! A gentleman doesn't ask a lady her age but I'll bet I'm older than
you. <G>

Beautiful day today but still no rain. Tomorrow is a okay to water day
so I will turn the irrigation system on for the vegetable garden, the
fruit trees, and the herb garden.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:05:32 -0500, "Kathi Jones"
> wrote:

>Snippage
>
>fruitcake - the only one who likes it in my family is my dad, but I've been
>thinking I'd like to try making it one year anyway....maybe people would
>like it more if they tried the home made? that boxed stuff that you can buy
>everywhere and that lasts for a million years is awful !

Hi Kathi,

I could be the president of a Fruitcake Haters Association but, quite
a few years ago I found the following recipe and thought I'd give it a
try. I like it. Maybe it's the Grand Marnier ;-).
It's a bit of work but worth it IMHO.

Ross.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Fruitcake For Fruitcake Haters

500 grams dried apricots; chopped
500 grams dates; pitted and chopped
500 grams golden raisins
500 grams red & green candied cherries
500 grams red & green candied pineapple
500 grams almonds, blanched, toasted, chopped; See Note 1
500 grams pecan pieces
600 grams all purpose flour
500 grams butter; softened
265 grams brown sugar; packed
300 grams granulated sugar
12 eggs
5 ml ground cloves
10 ml ground cinnamon
5 ml ground mace
8 ml baking soda
5 ml salt
70 ml dark rum
70 ml brandy
100 ml Grand Marnier liqueur; divided
2 oranges, juice & zest of
2 lemons, juice & zest of

Thoroughly grease four (8 inch x 5 inch) loaf pans.
Combine apricots, dates, raisins, candied cherries, candied pineapple,
almonds*(See Note 1) and pecans in a large bowl. Mix in one cup of the
flour to dredge mixture then set aside.
Cream butter and sugars 'till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a
time, beating after each addition.
Sift remaining flour with cloves, cinnamon, mace, baking soda and
salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with rum, brandy, 70 ml of
the Grand Marnier liqueur, fruit juices and zests. Fold this mixture
into the fruit and nut mixture.
Pour equal amounts into the previously greased loaf pans. Bake at 150C
(300F) for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until wood pick inserted into centre of
cake comes out clean.
Cool in pans for 15 minutes then remove from pans to wire rack and let
cool to room temperature. Moisten 4 pieces of cheesecloth (large
enough to cover one cake each) with remaining Grand Marnier liqueur
and wrap around each loaf. Wrap Grand Marnier soaked loaves in foil
and store in refrigerator**(See Note 2).
* Note 1: I have a severe allergy to almonds so we substitute cashews
in any recipe calling for almonds.
** Note 2: The longer this fruitcake sits, the better it tastes.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/12/2010 5:41 PM, pinkie wrote:
> I have a question about making Quince Jelly. My tree is loaded and I
> need to start picking them but I ran into a problem in making Quince
> Jelly last year which was my first attempt. The recipe said that after
> pouring into the prepared and sanitized jars, I should leave the jars
> open until the jelly cools and then seal them. I put a piece of
> cheesecloth over the tops and did that. Sealed them and when I opened
> them, some mold had formed (white stuff) in a patch about the size of a
> quarter. The jelly was beautiful and so clear and I was so proud of it
> but I gave it as a gift and when she opened it, there was that white
> stuff. Good thing she was a good friend but I don't want that to happen
> again. My sense is that I shouldn't leave it open but will it gel
> sufficiently if I seal it right away?

Making quince jelly is about the same as making apple jelly. The method
you used is considered unsafe in the US nowadays. Go here for info:

http://tinyurl.com/2f2cp7e

Proper, modern canning techniques reduce your chances of spoiled jams
and jellies and give you a product that can hold up to two years without
much change.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>>
>>> What's a social life? At 71 years of age ...

>> 71? You keep saying you are old!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you must be at
>> least 90!!!!
>>
>> 71 indeed.. pah!!!
>>

> Old is relative--it's always 15 years older than you are at the moment.
>
> (And it doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese, a bottle of wine, or a
> tree.)

lolol I love it))))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 11/12/2010 12:07 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>>
>>> What's a social life? At 71 years of age ...

>> 71? You keep saying you are old!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you must be at
>> least 90!!!!
>>
>> 71 indeed.. pah!!!
>>

> With my family history 71 is really old. My Dad died at 71, my Grandad at
> 58, my Great Granddad at 24, one uncle at 33, another made it to 76 and
> fell over dead one day. My only surviving uncle on my Dad's side is 96 and
> totally bedridden, deaf, and mostly blind.

With all your healthy living and eating, I expect us to be posting still in
10-20 years buddy!!!

> Pah! A gentleman doesn't ask a lady her age but I'll bet I'm older than
> you. <G>

Not by much though) If you really want to know, mail me <g>

Anyway, you sure don't sound old.... if you see what I mean

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

<Ross@home> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:05:32 -0500, "Kathi Jones"
> > wrote:
>
>>Snippage
>>
>>fruitcake - the only one who likes it in my family is my dad, but I've
>>been
>>thinking I'd like to try making it one year anyway....maybe people would
>>like it more if they tried the home made? that boxed stuff that you can
>>buy
>>everywhere and that lasts for a million years is awful !

> Hi Kathi,
>
> I could be the president of a Fruitcake Haters Association but, quite
> a few years ago I found the following recipe and thought I'd give it a
> try. I like it. Maybe it's the Grand Marnier ;-).
> It's a bit of work but worth it IMHO.
>
> Ross.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Fruitcake For Fruitcake Haters

<snaffled>

btw you fruitcake haters.. have you tried eating it with a good strong
cheese??
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:00:03 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 11/12/2010 12:07 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>>
>>> What's a social life? At 71 years of age ...

>> 71? You keep saying you are old!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you must be at
>> least 90!!!!
>>
>> 71 indeed.. pah!!!
>>

>With my family history 71 is really old. My Dad died at 71, my Grandad
>at 58, my Great Granddad at 24, one uncle at 33, another made it to 76
>and fell over dead one day. My only surviving uncle on my Dad's side is
>96 and totally bedridden, deaf, and mostly blind.
>
>My mother's brothers all died at somewhere between 70 and 80, two of her
>three sisters died of cancer in their thirties, her mother died before I
>was born, her surviving sister died in 1973. Mom lived to be 89, go figure.
>
>Both my half sisters are cancer survivors, one had a radical mastectomy,
>the other a lumpectomy. One will be 84 in January if she makes it, she's
>in hospice now, her COPD has gotten worse. Don't ever let anyone tell
>you that smoking for 60 years won't kill you eventually. The other is 80
>now and a recluse and still smokes.
>
>Pah! A gentleman doesn't ask a lady her age but I'll bet I'm older than
>you. <G>

I am only about a year behind you. I will be 70 in February.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

<Ross@home> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:05:32 -0500, "Kathi Jones"
> > wrote:
>
>>Snippage
>>
>>fruitcake - the only one who likes it in my family is my dad, but I've
>>been
>>thinking I'd like to try making it one year anyway....maybe people would
>>like it more if they tried the home made? that boxed stuff that you can
>>buy
>>everywhere and that lasts for a million years is awful !

> Hi Kathi,
>
> I could be the president of a Fruitcake Haters Association but, quite
> a few years ago I found the following recipe and thought I'd give it a
> try. I like it. Maybe it's the Grand Marnier ;-).
> It's a bit of work but worth it IMHO.

thanks Ross....Yes, I just bet it's the Grand Marnier

this stuff is pretty expensive to make, right? Even if I can go to the
local Bulk Barn and get everything in one spot. Well, except for the Grand
Marnier

I have saved this recipe for consideration....And Ophelia's suggestion to
serve with cheese actually sounds pretty good!

Kathi

> Ross.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Fruitcake For Fruitcake Haters
>
> 500 grams dried apricots; chopped
> 500 grams dates; pitted and chopped
> 500 grams golden raisins
> 500 grams red & green candied cherries
> 500 grams red & green candied pineapple
> 500 grams almonds, blanched, toasted, chopped; See Note 1
> 500 grams pecan pieces
> 600 grams all purpose flour
> 500 grams butter; softened
> 265 grams brown sugar; packed
> 300 grams granulated sugar
> 12 eggs
> 5 ml ground cloves
> 10 ml ground cinnamon
> 5 ml ground mace
> 8 ml baking soda
> 5 ml salt
> 70 ml dark rum
> 70 ml brandy
> 100 ml Grand Marnier liqueur; divided
> 2 oranges, juice & zest of
> 2 lemons, juice & zest of
>
> Thoroughly grease four (8 inch x 5 inch) loaf pans.
> Combine apricots, dates, raisins, candied cherries, candied pineapple,
> almonds*(See Note 1) and pecans in a large bowl. Mix in one cup of the
> flour to dredge mixture then set aside.
> Cream butter and sugars 'till light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a
> time, beating after each addition.
> Sift remaining flour with cloves, cinnamon, mace, baking soda and
> salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with rum, brandy, 70 ml of
> the Grand Marnier liqueur, fruit juices and zests. Fold this mixture
> into the fruit and nut mixture.
> Pour equal amounts into the previously greased loaf pans. Bake at 150C
> (300F) for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until wood pick inserted into centre of
> cake comes out clean.
> Cool in pans for 15 minutes then remove from pans to wire rack and let
> cool to room temperature. Moisten 4 pieces of cheesecloth (large
> enough to cover one cake each) with remaining Grand Marnier liqueur
> and wrap around each loaf. Wrap Grand Marnier soaked loaves in foil
> and store in refrigerator**(See Note 2).
> * Note 1: I have a severe allergy to almonds so we substitute cashews
> in any recipe calling for almonds.
> ** Note 2: The longer this fruitcake sits, the better it tastes.
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.87 **

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> I have saved this recipe for consideration....And Ophelia's suggestion to
> serve with cheese actually sounds pretty good!

Trust me! It is the way us Yorkshire folk eat it)

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/13/2010 3:11 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>
>> I have saved this recipe for consideration....And Ophelia's suggestion
>> to serve with cheese actually sounds pretty good!

> Trust me! It is the way us Yorkshire folk eat it)

Are Yorkies the ones with the strange, broad accent, and wear
handkerchiefs on their heads? Can you tell I've just been watching Monte
Python? <G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 11/13/2010 3:11 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I have saved this recipe for consideration....And Ophelia's suggestion
>>> to serve with cheese actually sounds pretty good!

>> Trust me! It is the way us Yorkshire folk eat it)
>>

> Are Yorkies the ones with the strange, broad accent, and wear
> handkerchiefs on their heads? Can you tell I've just been watching Monte
> Python? <G>

LOL the flat caps and whippets <eg> Aye lad, tha knows the accent then?

Love your taste in comedy, it is mine too)
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/14/2010 3:17 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

>>> Trust me! It is the way us Yorkshire folk eat it)
>>>

>> Are Yorkies the ones with the strange, broad accent, and wear
>> handkerchiefs on their heads? Can you tell I've just been watching
>> Monte Python? <G>

> LOL the flat caps and whippets <eg> Aye lad, tha knows the accent then?
>
> Love your taste in comedy, it is mine too)

We've watched Monty Python's Circus since it first came out on PBS here
in the States eons ago, always enjoyed it.

Another old favorite was 'ello, 'ello, about the Frenchmen during the
German occupation. Our favorite line from that was about the "Madonna
with the Big Boobies." I wish we could get it again around here. Lots of
good BBC "Brit Comedies" several years ago.

Aye lassie, worked with Yorkies and lots of other Brits in the Middle
East, mostly good people with a few idiots among them, sort of like the
other 148 nationalities we worked with.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 11/14/2010 3:17 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Are Yorkies the ones with the strange, broad accent, and wear
>>> handkerchiefs on their heads? Can you tell I've just been watching
>>> Monte Python? <G>

>> LOL the flat caps and whippets <eg> Aye lad, tha knows the accent then?
>>
>> Love your taste in comedy, it is mine too)

> We've watched Monty Python's Circus since it first came out on PBS here in
> the States eons ago, always enjoyed it.

Cool

> Another old favorite was 'ello, 'ello, about the Frenchmen during the
> German occupation. Our favorite line from that was about the "Madonna with
> the Big Boobies." I wish we could get it again around here. Lots of good
> BBC "Brit Comedies" several years ago.

lol yes, one of my faves too. The French never got it of course, because of
the French accent thing...

> Aye lassie, worked with Yorkies and lots of other Brits in the Middle
> East, mostly good people with a few idiots among them, sort of like the
> other 148 nationalities we worked with.

Aye but.. Yorkies.... not bad eh?

Yorkie O

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/14/2010 8:01 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

>>> LOL the flat caps and whippets <eg> Aye lad, tha knows the accent then?
>>>
>>> Love your taste in comedy, it is mine too)

>> We've watched Monty Python's Circus since it first came out on PBS
>> here in
>> the States eons ago, always enjoyed it.

> Cool
>
>> Another old favorite was 'ello, 'ello, about the Frenchmen during the
>> German occupation. Our favorite line from that was about the "Madonna
>> with
>> the Big Boobies." I wish we could get it again around here. Lots of good
>> BBC "Brit Comedies" several years ago.

> lol yes, one of my faves too. The French never got it of course, because of
> the French accent thing...
>

>> Aye lassie, worked with Yorkies and lots of other Brits in the Middle
>> East, mostly good people with a few idiots among them, sort of like the
>> other 148 nationalities we worked with.

> Aye but.. Yorkies.... not bad eh?
>
> Yorkie O

Unless they have been drinking. Then the only thing worse is a couple of
drunken Geordies from villages about a mile apart trying to understand
each others dialect. An the Brits say Americans don't speak proper English!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 11/14/2010 8:01 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> We've watched Monty Python's Circus since it first came out on PBS
>>> here in
>>> the States eons ago, always enjoyed it.

>> Cool
>>
>>> Another old favorite was 'ello, 'ello, about the Frenchmen during the
>>> German occupation. Our favorite line from that was about the "Madonna
>>> with
>>> the Big Boobies." I wish we could get it again around here. Lots of good
>>> BBC "Brit Comedies" several years ago.

>> lol yes, one of my faves too. The French never got it of course, because
>> of
>> the French accent thing...
>>

>>> Aye lassie, worked with Yorkies and lots of other Brits in the Middle
>>> East, mostly good people with a few idiots among them, sort of like the
>>> other 148 nationalities we worked with.

>> Aye but.. Yorkies.... not bad eh?
>>
>> Yorkie O
>>

> Unless they have been drinking. Then the only thing worse is a couple of
> drunken Geordies from villages about a mile apart trying to understand
> each others dialect. An the Brits say Americans don't speak proper
> English!

Geordies are not Yorkies!!!!!!!!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/14/2010 8:15 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

>>> Cool

>>> lol yes, one of my faves too. The French never got it of course,
>>> because of
>>> the French accent thing...

>>> Aye but.. Yorkies.... not bad eh?
>>>
>>> Yorkie O
>>>

>> Unless they have been drinking. Then the only thing worse is a couple
>> of drunken Geordies from villages about a mile apart trying to
>> understand each others dialect. An the Brits say Americans don't speak
>> proper English!

> Geordies are not Yorkies!!!!!!!!

I know that, their accent is even harder to understand though.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 11/14/2010 8:15 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Unless they have been drinking. Then the only thing worse is a couple
>>> of drunken Geordies from villages about a mile apart trying to
>>> understand each others dialect. An the Brits say Americans don't speak
>>> proper English!

>> Geordies are not Yorkies!!!!!!!!
>>>

> I know that, their accent is even harder to understand though.m

Ahh ok Wayyy ehhhh mannnnnnnnnn heh they are not too easy for us
either

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

>> Are Yorkies the ones with the strange, broad accent, and wear
>> handkerchiefs on their heads? Can you tell I've just been watching
>> Monte Python? <G>

> LOL the flat caps and whippets <eg> Aye lad, tha knows the accent then?
>
> Love your taste in comedy, it is mine too)

British comedy is my favorite, too:

Monty Python
Mr. Bean
Are You Being Served?
Keeping Up Appearances
Waiting for God
Last of the Summer Wine
The Vicar of Denby (? can't remember if that's the town)

Each is very special in its own way.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

>>> Are Yorkies the ones with the strange, broad accent, and wear
>>> handkerchiefs on their heads? Can you tell I've just been watching Monte
>>> Python? <G>

>> LOL the flat caps and whippets <eg> Aye lad, tha knows the accent then?
>>
>> Love your taste in comedy, it is mine too)

> British comedy is my favorite, too:
>
> Monty Python
> Mr. Bean
> Are You Being Served?
> Keeping Up Appearances
> Waiting for God
> Last of the Summer Wine
> The Vicar of Denby (? can't remember if that's the town)
>
> Each is very special in its own way.

heh you have good taste too I see) And that is Dibley btw

My faves are Python, Mr Bean.. and Vicar of Dibley
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 11/14/2010 9:39 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "gloria.p" > wrote in message

>>> LOL the flat caps and whippets <eg> Aye lad, tha knows the accent then?
>>>
>>> Love your taste in comedy, it is mine too)

>> British comedy is my favorite, too:
>>
>> Monty Python
>> Mr. Bean
>> Are You Being Served?
>> Keeping Up Appearances
>> Waiting for God
>> Last of the Summer Wine
>> The Vicar of Denby (? can't remember if that's the town)
>>
>> Each is very special in its own way.

> heh you have good taste too I see) And that is Dibley btw
>
> My faves are Python, Mr Bean.. and Vicar of Dibley

I find Keeping UP Appearances annoying, probably because the lady of the
house reminds me of my youngest sister. <G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 11/14/2010 9:39 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> British comedy is my favorite, too:
>>>
>>> Monty Python
>>> Mr. Bean
>>> Are You Being Served?
>>> Keeping Up Appearances
>>> Waiting for God
>>> Last of the Summer Wine
>>> The Vicar of Denby (? can't remember if that's the town)
>>>
>>> Each is very special in its own way.

>> heh you have good taste too I see) And that is Dibley btw
>>
>> My faves are Python, Mr Bean.. and Vicar of Dibley

> I find Keeping UP Appearances annoying, probably because the lady of the
> house reminds me of my youngest sister. <G>

Aye lad, that could do it <g>

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message

>>> Are Yorkies the ones with the strange, broad accent, and wear
>>> handkerchiefs on their heads? Can you tell I've just been watching Monte
>>> Python? <G>

>> LOL the flat caps and whippets <eg> Aye lad, tha knows the accent then?
>>
>> Love your taste in comedy, it is mine too)

> British comedy is my favorite, too:
>
> Monty Python
> Mr. Bean
> Are You Being Served?
> Keeping Up Appearances
> Waiting for God
> Last of the Summer Wine
> The Vicar of Denby (? can't remember if that's the town)
>
> Each is very special in its own way.
>
> gloria p

Mr Bean rocks!

Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

>>British comedy is my favorite, too:
>>
>>Monty Python
>>Mr. Bean
>>Are You Being Served?
>>Keeping Up Appearances
>>Waiting for God
>>Last of the Summer Wine
>>The Vicar of

-snip-
> Dibley. I like that one, as well as all you mentioned,
>too. We used to get one whose title I can't remember, that was the
>the staff of Grace Brothers (Are You Being Served) in their later
>years. They pooled their retirements and opened a Bed and Breakfast.
>It was hilarious, but they didn't show it for very long here in
>Orlando.

A spin off of AYBServed? Didn't know about one, (and two others).
Let me google that for me....
Grace & Favour. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_%26_Favour :
"Grace & Favour (American Title: Are You Being Served? Again!)"
Thank you.
Shawn
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Sunny wrote:

> We used to get one whose title I can't remember, that was the
> the staff of Grace Brothers (Are You Being Served) in their later
> years. They pooled their retirements and opened a Bed and Breakfast.
> It was hilarious, but they didn't show it for very long here in
> Orlando.
>
> Lou

I vaguely remember the title as being
"Are You Being Served Again?".

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, George
Shirley > wrote:

> On 11/13/2010 3:11 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
> >
> >> I have saved this recipe for consideration....And Ophelia's suggestion
> >> to serve with cheese actually sounds pretty good!

> > Trust me! It is the way us Yorkshire folk eat it)
> >

> Are Yorkies the ones with the strange, broad accent, and wear
> handkerchiefs on their heads? Can you tell I've just been watching Monte
> Python? <G>

No, the Yorkshiremen are the ones who go on about how tough it was when
they were young:

"Mind, now... We had it tough. We had to get up in the morning at 10
o'clock at night, half an hour before we went to bed, drink a cup of
sulphuric acid, work 29 hours a day at mill on permission to come to
work,and when we got home our mother and father would kill us and dance
on our graves singing Hallelujah.

"And you try and tell the young people of today that... And they won't
believe you."

--
"I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow..." - Frank Zappa
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Dave Balderstone" > wrote in message
tone.ca...
> In article >, George
> Shirley > wrote:

>> > Trust me! It is the way us Yorkshire folk eat it)
>> >

>> Are Yorkies the ones with the strange, broad accent, and wear
>> handkerchiefs on their heads? Can you tell I've just been watching Monte
>> Python? <G>

> No, the Yorkshiremen are the ones who go on about how tough it was when
> they were young:
>
> "Mind, now... We had it tough. We had to get up in the morning at 10
> o'clock at night, half an hour before we went to bed, drink a cup of
> sulphuric acid, work 29 hours a day at mill on permission to come to
> work,and when we got home our mother and father would kill us and dance
> on our graves singing Hallelujah.
>
> "And you try and tell the young people of today that... And they won't
> believe you."

LOL that's the one
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Hi Ophelia, In one of your recent posts you said you were canning pinto
beans. Would you please post your trecipe? Also would any kind of bean
work with your recipe (Navy, Black Kidney,, or Great Northern? Thanks, John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote in message
> Hi Ophelia, In one of your recent posts you said you were canning pinto
> beans. Would you please post your trecipe? Also would any kind of bean
> work with your recipe (Navy, Black Kidney,, or Great Northern? Thanks,
> John

Hello John! Not me I am afraid If I could help I would, but I don't know
how to do that!

Hope you find the right person

Best

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Sorry, Thanks anyway. John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:58:12 GMT, wrote:

>Hi Ophelia, In one of your recent posts you said you were canning pinto
>beans. Would you please post your trecipe? Also would any kind of bean
>work with your recipe (Navy, Black Kidney,, or Great Northern? Thanks, John

I am the one who cans dried beans. I follow the instructions in the
latest copy of the Ball Blue Book. It REQUIRES a pressure canner. The
National Center for Home Food Preservation
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can4_vegetable.html has a recipe using
tomato or molasses sauces.

The one thing I do is to leave more than 1" head space for the beans
and end up with 1" after the liquid is added.

We like the texture of the canned beans better than just cooking.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
SDT SDT is offline

>>Hi Ophelia, In one of your recent posts you said you were canning pinto
>>beans. Would you please post your trecipe? Also would any kind of bean
>>work with your recipe (Navy, Black Kidney,, or Great Northern? Thanks, John

>I am the one who cans dried beans. I follow the instructions in the
>latest copy of the Ball Blue Book. It REQUIRES a pressure canner. The
>National Center for Home Food Preservation
>http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can4_vegetable.html has a recipe using
>tomato or molasses sauces.
>
>The one thing I do is to leave more than 1" head space for the beans
>and end up with 1" after the liquid is added.
>
>We like the texture of the canned beans better than just cooking.

IMO, they also taste a little better.

I think I've never mentioned canning dry beans.
(It's a convenience thing that I can't buy because of the added sodium.)

In evaluating what I sometimes do for canning dry beans note that I stock
and use such things as malic acid, lime oil, potassium sorbate, potassium
bicarbonate, xanthan gum and that only acids and the potassium sorbate
are relevant here.
-
I filled the jars about one quarter full with picked over, washed and _not_
presoaked beans.
I filled the jars pretty full of water (like about a quarter inch head space).
(Tip: use the hottest water you have: stuff dissolves quicker in it, and the
canner heats up negligibly quicker, and really hot water has lots less air
in it.)
(I _could_ try to re calculate what I added to the water.)
The recipes in the BBBook that I remember call for minutes at 10 pounds.
I did minutes at 15 pounds because if I'm not wearing my glasses I can't
find them and those little pressure weights are _much smaller than my
glasses.
SDT