Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Corned beef again

Nick Cramer wrote:

> Preserving meat for winter by soaking in salt brine is a time-honored
> method. Corning is an ancient technique for preserving raw meat for long
> periods. It involves rubbing the meat in a mixture of salt and spices and
> then keeping it covered in the resultant juicy brine for a minimum of two
> weeks or much longer. The familiar corned beef is one of the few remnants
> of this practice still popular today.

When the same is done to vegitables it is called pickling. Pickled
veggies are also not as popular as they once were.

> Several different cuts of beef as well as the tongue are excellent
> candidates for corning, in fact,

In my head are now running memories of pickled heart and tongue made
from the deer killed by family hunters each year. Delicious.

> except for steaks, any cut can be brined.

Why not steaks? They are smaller than roasts, bigger than hearts. I
get that pickling a steak might be a waste of a good cut. I get that
jerky is good from steaks. Do steaks get so tender they turn to mush
when pickled?

Thanks for the extensive write up!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> >
> > Preserving meat for winter by soaking in salt brine is a time-honored
> > method. [ . . . ] The familiar corned beef is one
> > of the few remnants of this practice still popular today.

> When the same is done to vegitables it is called pickling. Pickled
> veggies are also not as popular as they once were.
>
> > Several different cuts of beef as well as the tongue are excellent
> > candidates for corning, in fact,

> In my head are now running memories of pickled heart and tongue made
> from the deer killed by family hunters each year. Delicious.
>
> > except for steaks, any cut can be brined.

> Why not steaks? They are smaller than roasts, bigger than hearts. I
> get that pickling a steak might be a waste of a good cut. I get that
> jerky is good from steaks. Do steaks get so tender they turn to mush
> when pickled?
>
> Thanks for the extensive write up!

Ya got me there, Doug! I've used round for jerky; salt, pepper and Sun dry.
Steak, I've mostly had grill charred, blood rare. I think my daughter's
made them in some Mexican styles, too. It's been a long time since I've had
heart or tongue. Now I'm Jonesin' for a Reuben sammy!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Corned Beef Brooklyn1 General Cooking 39 14-03-2016 08:56 AM
Corned Beef Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 73 23-11-2013 08:45 PM
Corned beef again Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 1 13-03-2011 02:29 AM
Corned Beef vs Salt Beef (naval beef) Peter General Cooking 46 31-07-2006 04:03 PM
Corned Beef Sheldon General Cooking 3 18-03-2006 03:57 AM