Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Dilly beans

Last June I put up several pint jars of dilly beans from our garden. A
couple of days ago I remembered putting them up and put a jar in the
fridge. Today I opened the jar and had a few with my lunch sandwich.
This was the first batch I had ever used Pickle Crisp on. Joy, joy, they
are very crisp and very dilly. I think from now on I will use the pickle
crisp on all my pickles as the luncheon spears and bread and butters
also came out very crisp. Even very old dogs can learn new tricks.

Side Note for Barb: Please close the back gate, weather heads say we may
get up to two inches of snow tonight. That would be four times it has
snowed here this winter. Where the hell is Al Gore when you need him, I
had planned on having beach property by now?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Last June I put up several pint jars of dilly beans from our garden. A
> couple of days ago I remembered putting them up and put a jar in the
> fridge. Today I opened the jar and had a few with my lunch sandwich. This
> was the first batch I had ever used Pickle Crisp on. Joy, joy, they are
> very crisp and very dilly. I think from now on I will use the pickle crisp
> on all my pickles as the luncheon spears and bread and butters also came
> out very crisp. Even very old dogs can learn new tricks.
>
> Side Note for Barb: Please close the back gate, weather heads say we may
> get up to two inches of snow tonight. That would be four times it has
> snowed here this winter. Where the hell is Al Gore when you need him, I
> had planned on having beach property by now?

good to know George - I made them once and was very disappointed with the
mushy texture. Maybe I'll give it another go doing it your way.

We're getting wet stuff this week, but hardly anything. Not gonna jinx in
by saying we haven't got very much snow at all, so far this year...........

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:57:18 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Last June I put up several pint jars of dilly beans from our garden. A
>couple of days ago I remembered putting them up and put a jar in the
>fridge. Today I opened the jar and had a few with my lunch sandwich.
>This was the first batch I had ever used Pickle Crisp on. Joy, joy, they
>are very crisp and very dilly. I think from now on I will use the pickle
>crisp on all my pickles as the luncheon spears and bread and butters
>also came out very crisp. Even very old dogs can learn new tricks.
>
>Side Note for Barb: Please close the back gate, weather heads say we may
>get up to two inches of snow tonight. That would be four times it has
>snowed here this winter. Where the hell is Al Gore when you need him, I
>had planned on having beach property by now?

Looks like the stuff that is headed this way (western NC). I was
hoping that we had had enough for the year. All of the areas that
have to have the trucks out I am sure are praying for no more snow or
ice.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> Last June I put up several pint jars of dilly beans from our garden. A
>> couple of days ago I remembered putting them up and put a jar in the
>> fridge. Today I opened the jar and had a few with my lunch sandwich. This
>> was the first batch I had ever used Pickle Crisp on. Joy, joy, they are
>> very crisp and very dilly. I think from now on I will use the pickle crisp
>> on all my pickles as the luncheon spears and bread and butters also came
>> out very crisp. Even very old dogs can learn new tricks.
>>
>> Side Note for Barb: Please close the back gate, weather heads say we may
>> get up to two inches of snow tonight. That would be four times it has
>> snowed here this winter. Where the hell is Al Gore when you need him, I
>> had planned on having beach property by now?

> good to know George - I made them once and was very disappointed with the
> mushy texture. Maybe I'll give it another go doing it your way.
>
> We're getting wet stuff this week, but hardly anything. Not gonna jinx in
> by saying we haven't got very much snow at all, so far this year...........
>
> Kathi

Just checked the forecast, now they're saying just heavy rain. By the
radar it looks as though snow is already moving into northwest and
central Louisiana. If so, we shall surely get some of it. Going to be
34F tomorrow morning and then down to 33F by Thursday morning but up
again to 60F by mid afternoon Thursday. Weather reports are, at best, a
leap of faith that they forecast it right.

Our peach tree is budding out as is one of the plums, maybe they will be
okay or bud out again as they often do here. Would like to get a crop of
peaches before the squirrels do.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:
>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>>> Last June I put up several pint jars of dilly beans from our garden. A
>>> couple of days ago I remembered putting them up and put a jar in the
>>> fridge. Today I opened the jar and had a few with my lunch sandwich.
>>> This was the first batch I had ever used Pickle Crisp on. Joy, joy, they
>>> are very crisp and very dilly. I think from now on I will use the pickle
>>> crisp on all my pickles as the luncheon spears and bread and butters
>>> also came out very crisp. Even very old dogs can learn new tricks.
>>>
>>> Side Note for Barb: Please close the back gate, weather heads say we may
>>> get up to two inches of snow tonight. That would be four times it has
>>> snowed here this winter. Where the hell is Al Gore when you need him, I
>>> had planned on having beach property by now?

>> good to know George - I made them once and was very disappointed with the
>> mushy texture. Maybe I'll give it another go doing it your way.
>>
>> We're getting wet stuff this week, but hardly anything. Not gonna jinx
>> in by saying we haven't got very much snow at all, so far this
>> year...........
>>
>> Kathi

> Just checked the forecast, now they're saying just heavy rain. By the
> radar it looks as though snow is already moving into northwest and central
> Louisiana. If so, we shall surely get some of it. Going to be 34F tomorrow
> morning and then down to 33F by Thursday morning but up again to 60F by
> mid afternoon Thursday. Weather reports are, at best, a leap of faith that
> they forecast it right.
>
> Our peach tree is budding out as is one of the plums, maybe they will be
> okay or bud out again as they often do here. Would like to get a crop of
> peaches before the squirrels do.

fingers crossed that the white stuff and cold temps dont get your peach and
plum trees.....

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> Kathi Jones wrote:

>>> good to know George - I made them once and was very disappointed with the
>>> mushy texture. Maybe I'll give it another go doing it your way.
>>>
>>> We're getting wet stuff this week, but hardly anything. Not gonna jinx
>>> in by saying we haven't got very much snow at all, so far this
>>> year...........
>>>
>>> Kathi

>> Just checked the forecast, now they're saying just heavy rain. By the
>> radar it looks as though snow is already moving into northwest and central
>> Louisiana. If so, we shall surely get some of it. Going to be 34F tomorrow
>> morning and then down to 33F by Thursday morning but up again to 60F by
>> mid afternoon Thursday. Weather reports are, at best, a leap of faith that
>> they forecast it right.
>>
>> Our peach tree is budding out as is one of the plums, maybe they will be
>> okay or bud out again as they often do here. Would like to get a crop of
>> peaches before the squirrels do.

> fingers crossed that the white stuff and cold temps dont get your peach and
> plum trees.....
>
> Kathi

So far so good Kathi. Light rain fell last night and no snow. Woke up to
47F on the back patio, now is down to 37F. Still expecting 34F tomorrow
morning though.

Just came back from the daily ROMEO'S meeting at the local McDonald's
where an old friend and I were talking gardening and preserving. As I
left I noticed one of their ornamental pears was in full bloom, the
other eleven show no signs of blooms as yet. Weird thing with plants
blooming in the cold.

I hope this year will be a bumper year for stone fruits as we have
certainly had more than 400 hours of below 45F temps this winter.

Come on Barb, please close that gate, we're freezing to death down here.
We're not as hardy as you Minnehaha folks.

Chicken and sausage gumbo for dinner tonight, in honor of the cold.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Last June I put up several pint jars of dilly beans from our garden. A
> couple of days ago I remembered putting them up and put a jar in the
> fridge. Today I opened the jar and had a few with my lunch sandwich.
> This was the first batch I had ever used Pickle Crisp on. Joy, joy, they
> are very crisp and very dilly. I think from now on I will use the pickle
> crisp on all my pickles as the luncheon spears and bread and butters
> also came out very crisp. Even very old dogs can learn new tricks.

Funny you mention that, Jorge. I was with my canning niece last evening
and she mentioned floppy dilly beans. Any particular tricks to know
about using the Pickle Crisp? (Gotta look up Pickle Crisp.) Glad to
know you like it.

When did you start making B&Bs for Miz Anne? What recipe are you using?

> Side Note for Barb: Please close the back gate, weather heads say we may
> get up to two inches of snow tonight. That would be four times it has
> snowed here this winter.

<Cue the orchestra> "My heart cries for you, sighs for you, dies for
you. . . . "
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Chicken and sausage gumbo for dinner tonight, in honor of the cold.

You know how to hurt me. Now I have to go to Cub for some okra!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:
> This was the first batch I had ever used Pickle Crisp on. Joy, joy, they
> are very crisp and very dilly. I think from now on I will use the pickle
> crisp

Poking around a bit brought me to this:
<http://www.culinate.com/author/Linda...op_on_pickle_c
risp> Believe I'll be looking for it soon at Fleet Farm.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Chicken and sausage gumbo for dinner tonight, in honor of the cold.

> You know how to hurt me. Now I have to go to Cub for some okra!

What!Okra doesn't grow in Minnehaha Land. Uffda!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Last June I put up several pint jars of dilly beans from our garden. A
>> couple of days ago I remembered putting them up and put a jar in the
>> fridge. Today I opened the jar and had a few with my lunch sandwich.
>> This was the first batch I had ever used Pickle Crisp on. Joy, joy, they
>> are very crisp and very dilly. I think from now on I will use the pickle
>> crisp on all my pickles as the luncheon spears and bread and butters
>> also came out very crisp. Even very old dogs can learn new tricks.

> Funny you mention that, Jorge. I was with my canning niece last evening
> and she mentioned floppy dilly beans. Any particular tricks to know
> about using the Pickle Crisp? (Gotta look up Pickle Crisp.) Glad to
> know you like it.

Just follow the instructions, takes about a half teaspoon to a teaspoon
per jar depending upon jar size. The stuff really works, I even did my
"lime" pickle recipe using pickle crisp, aka calcium chloride, and they
came out just as crisp in about two days less time than it takes with lime.

> When did you start making B&Bs for Miz Anne? What recipe are you using?

I used yours for one batch and one from Ball Big Book for the other, she
liked both. Of course you know her, she'll pretty much eat anything I
put on the table being the middle child of six.

>> Side Note for Barb: Please close the back gate, weather heads say we may
>> get up to two inches of snow tonight. That would be four times it has
>> snowed here this winter.

> <Cue the orchestra> "My heart cries for you, sighs for you, dies for
> you. . . . "

Note: couldn't access your post about pickle crisp with the URL but I
think Ball no longer produces it. There are web sites that have it in
bulk though and it is reasonably priced. We have a producer of calcium
chloride here that I have done some consulting with but they don't make
food grade. If they did I could have it free by the ton. <G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Note: couldn't access your post about pickle crisp with the URL but I
> think Ball no longer produces it.

Apparently Ball is re-introducing it this spring.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Breaded Pork Tenderloin, 2-18-2010
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Note: couldn't access your post about pickle crisp with the URL but I
>> think Ball no longer produces it.

> Apparently Ball is re-introducing it this spring.

Very good, that means I can buy it locally instead of on line. Thank
you. Maybe the bitching email I sent to them helped.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 06:32:34 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> George Shirley > wrote:
>>
>>> Note: couldn't access your post about pickle crisp with the URL but I
>>> think Ball no longer produces it.

>> Apparently Ball is re-introducing it this spring.
>>

>Very good, that means I can buy it locally instead of on line. Thank
>you. Maybe the bitching email I sent to them helped.

George,

I can't remember if you tried using the non-trade named calcium
chloride, as in the stuff available from home brewing suppliers.
Same ratio as Pickle Crisp?
I have a quantity of it here, left over from my home brewing days that
we will probably try during this year's pickling time.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 06:32:34 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Apparently Ball is re-introducing it this spring.
>>>

>> Very good, that means I can buy it locally instead of on line. Thank
>> you. Maybe the bitching email I sent to them helped.

> George,
>
> I can't remember if you tried using the non-trade named calcium
> chloride, as in the stuff available from home brewing suppliers.
> Same ratio as Pickle Crisp?
> I have a quantity of it here, left over from my home brewing days that
> we will probably try during this year's pickling time.
>
> Ross.

No, haven't tried the plain calcium chloride, still have several packets
of Pickle Crisp in the pantry. I do have a site bookmarked that sells
the plain stuff in varying quantities, just in case. If Jardin, and
Ball, are bringing Pickle Crisp back I will be able to buy it in the
local supermarkets. Folks in this area are big on canning and preserving
so there year round supplies of most canning stuff, makes it simpler to
pick up as needed.

We've got one brew store here, I buy the rubber rings for my lightning
top two liter bottles from there. The ones I shipped home from the
Middle East, used to buy them full of various juices, non-fermented of
course, at least until I got them going again. <G>

Dilly beans Ross@home Preserving 2 08-09-2012 02:41 AM
Dilly beans George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 7 26-06-2012 05:08 PM
Dilly beans Ross@home Preserving 1 06-08-2011 02:42 PM
Dilly beans Dwayne Preserving 15 25-07-2004 05:19 PM
Dilly Beans Wayne Boatwright Preserving 2 23-02-2004 12:44 AM