rogers news

Default Jar Seal and Headspace

I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.

I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

2 of the jars after processing had headspace remaining of about 1" as per
recipe. The one remaining jar appears to have no headspace left and appears
as thought some of the liquid may have been expelled from the jar during
processing. All jars were processed with 1" headspace to start.

The jar in question appears to be sealed (lid is concave). Pressing on the
lid does not create a pop back. However, using the method of tapping the lid
with a spoon produces a dull sound. USDA says that any one of 3 methods is
valid for testing seals. This jar meets the visual and finger push test but
not the spoon test, seemingly because the filling is touching the bottom
part of the lid.

I assume that this jar is ok. Can someone offer a second professional
opinion

Thanks,

Jason

pennyaline

"rogers news" wrote:

<snip to the chase>

> I assume that this jar is ok. Can someone offer a second professional
> opinion

Refrigerate this jar promptly and make a pie with it this weekend

Jason

For anyone else who is wondering. I emailed my jar manufacturers here in
Canada, Bernardin, regarding this issue and I have attached their response
for you all to view.

"rogers news" > wrote in message
>I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.
>
> I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling
>
> 2 of the jars after processing had headspace remaining of about 1" as per
> recipe. The one remaining jar appears to have no headspace left and
> appears
> as thought some of the liquid may have been expelled from the jar during
> processing. All jars were processed with 1" headspace to start.
>
> The jar in question appears to be sealed (lid is concave). Pressing on the
> lid does not create a pop back. However, using the method of tapping the
> lid
> with a spoon produces a dull sound. USDA says that any one of 3 methods is
> valid for testing seals. This jar meets the visual and finger push test
> but
> not the spoon test, seemingly because the filling is touching the bottom
> part of the lid.
>
> I assume that this jar is ok. Can someone offer a second professional
> opinion
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Attached Files
File Type: doc Siphoning.doc (47.0 KB, 52 views)
\(¯`·. \(¯`·.MaxP..·´¯\).·´¯\)

"rogers news" > wrote in message
>I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.
>
> I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

Chances you'll post the recipe here ?
Cheers

--

MaxP

\(¯`·. \(¯`·.MaxP..·´¯\).·´¯\)

"rogers news" > wrote in message
>I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.
>
> I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

Chances you'll post the recipe here ?
Cheers

--

MaxP

Jason

Of course.

PS: I used that jar of apple pie filling for thanksgiving this weekend here
in Canada. It was one of the best apple pies i've ever had. It's almost an
identical recipe to that of the USDA's apple pie filling recipe (difference
is that USDA's recipe uses apple juice and less water). The recipe was
included with Clear Jel starch.

Jason

"(¯`·. (¯`·.MaxP..·´¯).·´¯)"
> wrote in message
>
> "rogers news" > wrote in message
>>I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.
>>
>> I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

> Chances you'll post the recipe here ?
> Cheers
>
> --
>
> MaxP

Attached Files
File Type: doc Apple Pie Filling.doc (34.0 KB, 45 views)
Jason

Of course.

PS: I used that jar of apple pie filling for thanksgiving this weekend here
in Canada. It was one of the best apple pies i've ever had. It's almost an
identical recipe to that of the USDA's apple pie filling recipe (difference
is that USDA's recipe uses apple juice and less water). The recipe was
included with Clear Jel starch.

Jason

"(¯`·. (¯`·.MaxP..·´¯).·´¯)"
> wrote in message
>
> "rogers news" > wrote in message
>>I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.
>>
>> I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

> Chances you'll post the recipe here ?
> Cheers
>
> --
>
> MaxP

Attached Files
File Type: doc Apple Pie Filling.doc (34.0 KB, 46 views)
Jason

Of course.

PS: I used that jar of apple pie filling for thanksgiving this weekend here
in Canada. It was one of the best apple pies i've ever had. It's almost an
identical recipe to that of the USDA's apple pie filling recipe (difference
is that USDA's recipe uses apple juice and less water). The recipe was
included with Clear Jel starch.

Jason

"(¯`·. (¯`·.MaxP..·´¯).·´¯)"
> wrote in message
>
> "rogers news" > wrote in message
>>I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.
>>
>> I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

> Chances you'll post the recipe here ?
> Cheers
>
> --
>
> MaxP

Attached Files
File Type: doc Apple Pie Filling.doc (34.0 KB, 54 views)
Jason

Of course.

PS: I used that jar of apple pie filling for thanksgiving this weekend here
in Canada. It was one of the best apple pies i've ever had. It's almost an
identical recipe to that of the USDA's apple pie filling recipe (difference
is that USDA's recipe uses apple juice and less water). The recipe was
included with Clear Jel starch.

Apple Pie Filling

Ingredients

8 cups
Apples - Peeled, Cored, and Sliced (packed)

1 2/3 cups
Granulated Sugar

2 1/2 cups
Cold Water

1/2 cup - 2/3* cup
Clear Jel Starch (see Clear Jel Starch recipe)

1 tsp
Cinnamon

1 tsp
Nutmeg

3 tbsp - 1/4 cup
Lemon Juice

1 tsp
Ascorbic Acid

Instructions

a.. Mutsu (Crispin), Granny Smith, Northern Spy, or Courtland apples are
best for tartness.
b.. Place required mason jars on rack in boiling water canner; cover jars
with water and heat to a simmer (180º F). Keep jars and SNAP Lids hot until
ready to use.
c.. Peel, core and slice apples. Place in anti-browning solution of 1 tsp
ascorbic acid per 4 L of water. Remove from solution draining well when
ready for use.
d.. In a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, whisk together sugar, Clear
Jel, nutmeg and cinnamon mixing thoroughly. Slowly stir in water until well
mixed.
e.. Using medium heat, bring mixture to a boil. Cook and stir frequently
just until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
f.. Stir in lemon juice and boil 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
g.. Fold in apples immediately. Cook and stir until completely heated
through and mixture boils.
h.. Immediately ladle hot mixture into a hot jar to within 1 inch of top
rim (headspace). Using non-metallic utensil, remove air bubbles. Wipe jar
rim using damp towel removing to remove stickiness. Centre SNAP Lid on jar;
apply screw band securely and firmly until resistance is met - fingertip
tight. Do not over tighten.
i.. Place jar in canner; repeat for remaining pie filling. Cover canner;
bring water to a boil. At altitudes up to 1,000 ft process as specified.
j.. Heat process 30 minutes in a boiling water bath. Remove canner from
heat and wait 5 minutes before removing jars.
k.. Remove jars without tilting. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO
NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
l.. After cooling check jar seals. Sealed lids curve downward. Remove
screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or
replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark
place.
Yields: 2 x 1L Jars (*Noted amount of Clear Jel produces very thick filling)

Jason

"(¯`·. (¯`·.MaxP..·´¯).·´¯)"
> wrote in message
>
> "rogers news" > wrote in message
>>I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.
>>
>> I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

> Chances you'll post the recipe here ?
> Cheers
>
> --
>
> MaxP

Jason

> [...]

bring water to a boil. At altitudes up to 1,000 ft process as specified.
j.. Heat process 30 minutes in a boiling water bath. Remove canner from
heat and wait 5 minutes before removing jars.
k.. Remove jars without tilting. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO
NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
l.. After cooling check jar seals. Sealed lids curve downward. Remove
screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or
replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark
place.
Yields: 2 x 1L Jars (*Noted amount of Clear Jel produces very thick filling)

Jason

"(¯`·. (¯`·.MaxP..·´¯).·´¯)"
> wrote in message
>
> "rogers news" > wrote in message
>>I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.
>>
>> I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

Jason

> [...]

bring water to a boil. At altitudes up to 1,000 ft process as specified.
j.. Heat process 30 minutes in a boiling water bath. Remove canner from
heat and wait 5 minutes before removing jars.
k.. Remove jars without tilting. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO
NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
l.. After cooling check jar seals. Sealed lids curve downward. Remove
screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or
replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark
place.
Yields: 2 x 1L Jars (*Noted amount of Clear Jel produces very thick filling)

"(¯`·. (¯`·.MaxP..·´¯).·´¯)"
> wrote in message
>
> "rogers news" > wrote in message
>>I have a question regarding jar seals and headspace.
>>
>> I canned 3 jars of home made apple pie filling

Annie

Jason wrote:
<clipped>

> 1/2 cup - 2/3* cup
> Clear Jel Starch (see Clear Jel Starch recipe)

Wondering if you could supply the recipe for the Clear Jel Starch
Recipe?

Thanks
Annie

Jason wrote:
<clipped>

> 1/2 cup - 2/3* cup
> Clear Jel Starch (see Clear Jel Starch recipe)

Wondering if you could supply the recipe for the Clear Jel Starch
Recipe?

Thanks
Jason

You'll have to obtain clear jel starch from a bulk food retailers. Its not
sold in grocery stores.

I searched all around southwest ontario and found only a couple bulk
retailers that carried it.

Outside of this area you're guess is as good as mine. www.KitchenKrafts.com
also carries Clear Jel Starch.

Jason

"Annie" > wrote in message ...

> Jason wrote:
> <clipped>
>>
>> 1/2 cup - 2/3* cup
>> Clear Jel Starch (see Clear Jel Starch recipe)
>>

> Wondering if you could supply the recipe for the Clear Jel Starch
> Recipe?
>
> Thanks

Jason

"Annie" > wrote in message ...

> Jason wrote:
> <clipped>
>>
>> 1/2 cup - 2/3* cup
>> Clear Jel Starch (see Clear Jel Starch recipe)
>>

> Wondering if you could supply the recipe for the Clear Jel Starch
> Recipe?
>
> Thanks

Jason

"Annie" > wrote in message ...

> Jason wrote:
> <clipped>
>>
>> 1/2 cup - 2/3* cup
>> Clear Jel Starch (see Clear Jel Starch recipe)
>>

> Wondering if you could supply the recipe for the Clear Jel Starch
> Recipe?
>
> Thanks

Jason

PS:

This is actually a recipe for HOW to use Clear Jel Starch. Unfortunately not
to make it. Here it is anyways

Clear Jel Starch

Ingredients

3 tbsp
Clear Jel

¾ cup
Sugar

1 cup
Water

Not all cooking starches are suitable for home canning. Reheating causes
some to lose viscosity. Making mixtures too thick can interfere with
required heat penetrations during heat processing. Unlike other starches,
Clear Jel retains a smooth consistency during heat processing and is
excellent for home canning pie fillings. It also works well in preparing
ready-to-eat bakery products, sauces, gravies or any food in which a smooth,
short stable texture is desired. This product is available at some specialty
stores.

Clear Jel can be substituted equally with Clear Gel or Thermo Flo products.

"Annie" > wrote in message ...

> Jason wrote:
> <clipped>
>>
>> 1/2 cup - 2/3* cup
>> Clear Jel Starch (see Clear Jel Starch recipe)
>>

> Wondering if you could supply the recipe for the Clear Jel Starch
> Recipe?
>
> Thanks

Jason

"Annie" > wrote in message ...

> Jason wrote:
> <clipped>
>>
>> 1/2 cup - 2/3* cup
>> Clear Jel Starch (see Clear Jel Starch recipe)
>>

> Wondering if you could supply the recipe for the Clear Jel Starch
> Recipe?
>
> Thanks

zxcvbob

Jason wrote:

> PS:
>
> This is actually a recipe for HOW to use Clear Jel Starch. Unfortunately not
> to make it. Here it is anyways
>
> Clear Jel Starch
>
> Ingredients
>

> 3 tbsp
> Clear Jel
>
> ¾ cup
> Sugar
>
> 1 cup
> Water
>

> Not all cooking starches are suitable for home canning. Reheating causes
> some to lose viscosity. Making mixtures too thick can interfere with
> required heat penetrations during heat processing. Unlike other starches,
> Clear Jel retains a smooth consistency during heat processing and is
> excellent for home canning pie fillings. It also works well in preparing
> ready-to-eat bakery products, sauces, gravies or any food in which a smooth,
> short stable texture is desired. This product is available at some specialty
> stores.
>
> Clear Jel can be substituted equally with Clear Gel or Thermo Flo products.

I wonder how well tapioca works for canning. It would thicken slowly
during processing, so you wouldn't have to worry about it being too
thick for heat penetration.

Of course, would you use "minute tapioca", or small pearls, or large
pearls? Would you soak pearl tapioca first, or use it dry?

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Jason wrote:

> PS:
>
> This is actually a recipe for HOW to use Clear Jel Starch. Unfortunately not
> to make it. Here it is anyways
>
> Clear Jel Starch
>
> Ingredients
>

> 3 tbsp
> Clear Jel
>
> ¾ cup
> Sugar
>
> 1 cup
> Water
>

> Not all cooking starches are suitable for home canning. Reheating causes
> some to lose viscosity. Making mixtures too thick can interfere with
> required heat penetrations during heat processing. Unlike other starches,
> Clear Jel retains a smooth consistency during heat processing and is
> excellent for home canning pie fillings. It also works well in preparing
> ready-to-eat bakery products, sauces, gravies or any food in which a smooth,
> short stable texture is desired. This product is available at some specialty
> stores.
>
> Clear Jel can be substituted equally with Clear Gel or Thermo Flo products.

I wonder how well tapioca works for canning. It would thicken slowly
during processing, so you wouldn't have to worry about it being too
thick for heat penetration.

Of course, would you use "minute tapioca", or small pearls, or large
pearls? Would you soak pearl tapioca first, or use it dry?

Best regards,
Bob

Annie

Thanks, Jason!

Jason

Bob,

I have a recipe in "Company's Coming- Preserving" (1994, reprinted in 2000)
that calls for minute tapioca in the exact same apple pie filling. I've seen
numerous sources that say any kind of tapioca or cooking starch is not
acceptable with today's standards and that only Clear Ge/Jel should be used.

The following is an exerpt from USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning, "Guide
2, Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Fruit and Fruit Products" available on
the USDA website. Other sources such as the Bernarding Guide to Home Canning
also state that regular starches and tapioca resist heat penetration and
"may" cause food safety issues. Why take a chance?

I've used the Clear Gel/Jel starch and it works awesome. The viscosity is
outstanding, you can heat and reheat Clear Jel and it does keep its
consistency like it claims to. I managed to obtain it for $0.55/kg or
$1.21/lb

General: The following fruit fillings are excellent and safe products. Each
canned quart makes

one 8-inch to 9-inch pie. The filling may be used as toppings on dessert or
pastries. "Clear Jel®"

is a chemically modified corn starch that produces excellent sauce
consistency even after fillings

are canned and baked. Other available starches break down when used in these
pie fillings,

causing a runny sauce consistency. Clear Jel® is available only through a
few supply outlets and

is not currently available in grocery stores. Find out about its
availability prior to gathering other

ingredients to make these pie fillings. If you cannot find it, ask your
county Extension home

economist about sources for Clear Jel®.

Jason

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Jason wrote:
>
>> PS:
>>
>> This is actually a recipe for HOW to use Clear Jel Starch. Unfortunately
>> not to make it. Here it is anyways
>>
>> Clear Jel Starch
>>
>> Ingredients
>>

>> 3 tbsp
>> Clear Jel
>>
>> ¾ cup
>> Sugar
>>
>> 1 cup
>> Water
>>

>> Not all cooking starches are suitable for home canning. Reheating causes
>> some to lose viscosity. Making mixtures too thick can interfere with
>> required heat penetrations during heat processing. Unlike other starches,
>> Clear Jel retains a smooth consistency during heat processing and is
>> excellent for home canning pie fillings. It also works well in preparing
>> ready-to-eat bakery products, sauces, gravies or any food in which a
>> smooth, short stable texture is desired. This product is available at
>> some specialty stores.
>>
>> Clear Jel can be substituted equally with Clear Gel or Thermo Flo
>> products.
>>

> I wonder how well tapioca works for canning. It would thicken slowly
> during processing, so you wouldn't have to worry about it being too thick
> for heat penetration.
>
> Of course, would you use "minute tapioca", or small pearls, or large
> pearls? Would you soak pearl tapioca first, or use it dry?
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Jason

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Jason wrote:
>
>> PS:
>>
>> This is actually a recipe for HOW to use Clear Jel Starch. Unfortunately
>> not to make it. Here it is anyways
>>
>> Clear Jel Starch
>>
>> Ingredients
>>

>> 3 tbsp
>> Clear Jel
>>
>> ¾ cup
>> Sugar
>>
>> 1 cup
>> Water
>>

>> Not all cooking starches are suitable for home canning. Reheating causes
>> some to lose viscosity. Making mixtures too thick can interfere with
>> required heat penetrations during heat processing. Unlike other starches,
>> Clear Jel retains a smooth consistency during heat processing and is
>> excellent for home canning pie fillings. It also works well in preparing
>> ready-to-eat bakery products, sauces, gravies or any food in which a
>> smooth, short stable texture is desired. This product is available at
>> some specialty stores.
>>
>> Clear Jel can be substituted equally with Clear Gel or Thermo Flo
>> products.
>>

> I wonder how well tapioca works for canning. It would thicken slowly
> during processing, so you wouldn't have to worry about it being too thick
> for heat penetration.
>
> Of course, would you use "minute tapioca", or small pearls, or large
> pearls? Would you soak pearl tapioca first, or use it dry?
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Jason"
> wrote:

> Bob,
>
> I have a recipe in "Company's Coming- Preserving" (1994, reprinted in
> 2000) that calls for minute tapioca in the exact same apple pie
> filling. I've seen numerous sources that say any kind of tapioca or
> cooking starch is not acceptable with today's standards and that only
> Clear Ge/Jel should be used.
>
> The following is an exerpt from USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning,
> "Guide 2, Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Fruit and Fruit Products"
> available on the USDA website. Other sources such as the Bernarding
> Guide to Home Canning also state that regular starches and tapioca
> resist heat penetration and "may" cause food safety issues. Why take
> a chance?

> I've used the Clear Gel/Jel starch and it works awesome. The viscosity is
> outstanding, you can heat and reheat Clear Jel and it does keep its
> consistency like it claims to. I managed to obtain it for $0.55/kg or
> $1.21/lb
>
> General: The following fruit fillings are excellent and safe
> products. Each canned quart makes one 8-inch to 9-inch pie. The
> filling may be used as toppings on dessert or pastries. "Clear Jel®"
> is a chemically modified corn starch that produces excellent sauce
> consistency even after fillings are canned and baked. Other available
> starches break down when used in these pie fillings, causing a runny
> sauce consistency. Clear Jel® is available only through a few supply
> outlets and is not currently available in grocery stores. Find out
> about its availability prior to gathering other ingredients to make
> these pie fillings. If you cannot find it, ask your county Extension
> home economist about sources for Clear Jel®.

Here's the NCHFP take on it:
http://www.fcs.uga.edu/pubs/current/FDNS-E-P-1.html

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE'S VERY SPECIFIC INFORMATION IN THERE ABOUT WHICH
CLEARJEL PRODUCT IS SUITABLE FOR USE.

I'd be very surprised if Myra Arrendale doesn't have it at
<www.homecanningsupply.com>. (She does carry it.)

King Arthur Flour and Sweet Celebration carry a couple of other ClearJel
products, NOT suitable for canning per the NCHFP info.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-09-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Jason"

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-09-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "Jason"
> > wrote:
>

>>Bob,
>>
>>I have a recipe in "Company's Coming- Preserving" (1994, reprinted in
>>2000) that calls for minute tapioca in the exact same apple pie
>>filling. I've seen numerous sources that say any kind of tapioca or
>>cooking starch is not acceptable with today's standards and that only
>>Clear Ge/Jel should be used.
>>
>>The following is an exerpt from USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning,
>>"Guide 2, Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Fruit and Fruit Products"
>>available on the USDA website. Other sources such as the Bernarding
>>Guide to Home Canning also state that regular starches and tapioca
>>resist heat penetration and "may" cause food safety issues. Why take
>>a chance?

>>I've used the Clear Gel/Jel starch and it works awesome. The viscosity is
>>outstanding, you can heat and reheat Clear Jel and it does keep its
>>consistency like it claims to. I managed to obtain it for $0.55/kg or
>>$1.21/lb
>>
>>General: The following fruit fillings are excellent and safe
>>products. Each canned quart makes one 8-inch to 9-inch pie. The
>>filling may be used as toppings on dessert or pastries. "Clear Jel®"
>>is a chemically modified corn starch that produces excellent sauce
>>consistency even after fillings are canned and baked. Other available
>>starches break down when used in these pie fillings, causing a runny
>>sauce consistency. Clear Jel® is available only through a few supply
>>outlets and is not currently available in grocery stores. Find out
>>about its availability prior to gathering other ingredients to make
>>these pie fillings. If you cannot find it, ask your county Extension
>>home economist about sources for Clear Jel®.

> Here's the NCHFP take on it:
> http://www.fcs.uga.edu/pubs/current/FDNS-E-P-1.html
>
> PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE'S VERY SPECIFIC INFORMATION IN THERE ABOUT WHICH
> CLEARJEL PRODUCT IS SUITABLE FOR USE.
>
> I'd be very surprised if Myra Arrendale doesn't have it at
> <www.homecanningsupply.com>. (She does carry it.)
>
> King Arthur Flour and Sweet Celebration carry a couple of other ClearJel
> products, NOT suitable for canning per the NCHFP info.

>>>I wonder how well tapioca works for canning. It would thicken
>>>slowly during processing, so you wouldn't have to worry about it
>>>being too thick for heat penetration.
>>>
>>>Of course, would you use "minute tapioca", or small pearls, or
>>>large pearls? Would you soak pearl tapioca first, or use it dry?
>>>
>>>Best regards, Bob

Thank-you both for this information.

I still think tapioca (probably small pearls) would be worth
experimenting with in small batches since ClearJel is not easily
available. Canned pie filling is obviously acid enough (obvious because
the directions are for BWB rather than 10# pressure) that
experimentation would not be dangerous -- the risk is that it just won't
work.

One could also leave out the thickening and add about 1 Tbsp of Minute
Tapioca per pint of filling when you assemble the pie.

I have frozen uncooked cherry pie filling before and it works well if
you have the freezer space. Apple filling might get too mushy.

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Headspace [email protected] Preserving 6 08-07-2008 05:40 PM
Sufficient primary headspace. Wayne Harris Winemaking 3 24-05-2008 03:12 AM
Instantaneous Seal! commercialcanner Preserving 7 22-09-2005 06:12 PM
SEAL-A-JUICER ? Hahabogus General Cooking 2 22-01-2005 07:57 PM
headspace grew Kathi Preserving 8 14-10-2004 09:33 PM