anighta

Default lady ashburnham pickles

I made this recipe yesterday. It has been a family favorite for years. I
would be happy to share it. This is the first time that I have joined
anything like this on the internet and am not sure what to do
next...........Anita

baker

"anighta" > wrote in
lkaboutcooking.com:

> I made this recipe yesterday. It has been a family favorite for years. I
> would be happy to share it. This is the first time that I have joined
> anything like this on the internet and am not sure what to do
> next...........Anita

Please post it here! I'm sure many would be interested. And...welcome!

--
It's me, Baker!
Peter Watson

write it out post it... love to read it and maybe give it a whirl

Peter Watson

anighta wrote:
> I made this recipe yesterday. It has been a family favorite for years. I
> would be happy to share it. This is the first time that I have joined
> anything like this on the internet and am not sure what to do
> next...........Anita

anighta

12 large cucumbers (peeled, seeded, & diced)
1/4 cup course salt
Combine in a large dutch oven or pot & let stand overnight. Drain Well in
the morning.
Add a pint of finely chopped onions to the mixture.
Make a paste of the following:
2 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
3 tblsp flour
1 tblsp dry mustard
1 tblsp tumeric
1 tblsp mustard seed
1 tblsp celery seed

Simmer the paste until smooth and slightly thickened. Add to the
cucumber/onion mixture and simmer for approx. 30 minutes. Fill hot clean
pint jars with mixture and process in a boiling water canner for 20
minutes.

This recipe is quite 'tart' and will make 7-8 pint jars. It is a delicious
side dish and very good on burgers and sandwiches. Hope you Enjoy

anighta

I purchased 'large field cucumbers' from our local vegetable market. They
weighed about 1-1.5 pounds each.
Anita.

Peter Watson

There are many versions of this most english of recipes, there is much
that can be added into the mix, cauliflower, raddish, green tomato,
capsicum are all popular choices. In the main these pickles are always
tart and are delicious with cold meats. They formed a very important
part of the english cold table.

Peter Watson

anighta wrote:
> I purchased 'large field cucumbers' from our local vegetable market. They
> weighed about 1-1.5 pounds each.
> Anita.

baker

"anighta" > wrote in
lkaboutcooking.com:

> 12 large cucumbers (peeled, seeded, & diced)
> 1/4 cup course salt
> Combine in a large dutch oven or pot & let stand overnight. Drain
> Well in the morning.
> Add a pint of finely chopped onions to the mixture.
> Make a paste of the following:
> 2 cups vinegar
> 2 cups sugar
> 3 tblsp flour
> 1 tblsp dry mustard
> 1 tblsp tumeric
> 1 tblsp mustard seed
> 1 tblsp celery seed
>
> Simmer the paste until smooth and slightly thickened. Add to the
> cucumber/onion mixture and simmer for approx. 30 minutes. Fill hot
> clean pint jars with mixture and process in a boiling water canner for
> 20 minutes.
>
> This recipe is quite 'tart' and will make 7-8 pint jars. It is a
> delicious side dish and very good on burgers and sandwiches. Hope you
> Enjoy

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm going to give this a try very soon.

--
It's me, Baker!