FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   lady ashburnham pickles (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/37094-re-lady-ashburnham-pickles.html)

anighta 01-10-2004 04:13 AM

lady ashburnham pickles

I made this recipe yesterday. It has been a family favorite for years. I
would be happy to share it. This is the first time that I have joined
anything like this on the internet and am not sure what to do
next...........Anita

baker 01-10-2004 05:52 AM

"anighta" > wrote in
lkaboutcooking.com:

> I made this recipe yesterday. It has been a family favorite for years. I
> would be happy to share it. This is the first time that I have joined
> anything like this on the internet and am not sure what to do
> next...........Anita

Please post it here! I'm sure many would be interested. And...welcome!

--
It's me, Baker!

Peter Watson 01-10-2004 08:35 AM

write it out post it... love to read it and maybe give it a whirl

Peter Watson

anighta 01-10-2004 01:52 PM

12 large cucumbers (peeled, seeded, & diced)
1/4 cup course salt
Combine in a large dutch oven or pot & let stand overnight. Drain Well in
the morning.
Add a pint of finely chopped onions to the mixture.
Make a paste of the following:
2 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
3 tblsp flour
1 tblsp dry mustard
1 tblsp tumeric
1 tblsp mustard seed
1 tblsp celery seed

Simmer the paste until smooth and slightly thickened. Add to the
cucumber/onion mixture and simmer for approx. 30 minutes. Fill hot clean
pint jars with mixture and process in a boiling water canner for 20
minutes.

This recipe is quite 'tart' and will make 7-8 pint jars. It is a delicious
side dish and very good on burgers and sandwiches. Hope you Enjoy

ellen wickberg 01-10-2004 04:15 PM

in article 2fc2fc1aae5f115d44d14a6e9ca33275@loc... utcooking.com,
anighta at wrote on 1/10/04 5:52 AM:

> 12 large cucumbers (peeled, seeded, & diced)
> 1/4 cup course salt
> Combine in a large dutch oven or pot & let stand overnight. Drain Well in
> the morning.
> Add a pint of finely chopped onions to the mixture.
> Make a paste of the following:
> 2 cups vinegar
> 2 cups sugar
> 3 tblsp flour
> 1 tblsp dry mustard
> 1 tblsp tumeric
> 1 tblsp mustard seed
> 1 tblsp celery seed
>
> Simmer the paste until smooth and slightly thickened. Add to the
> cucumber/onion mixture and simmer for approx. 30 minutes. Fill hot clean
> pint jars with mixture and process in a boiling water canner for 20
> minutes.
>
> This recipe is quite 'tart' and will make 7-8 pint jars. It is a delicious
> side dish and very good on burgers and sandwiches. Hope you Enjoy

What size is a "large" cucumber? do you have a volume or weight measure?
Ellen

anighta 01-10-2004 06:46 PM

I purchased 'large field cucumbers' from our local vegetable market. They
weighed about 1-1.5 pounds each.
Anita.

Peter Watson 01-10-2004 11:58 PM

There are many versions of this most english of recipes, there is much
that can be added into the mix, cauliflower, raddish, green tomato,
capsicum are all popular choices. In the main these pickles are always
tart and are delicious with cold meats. They formed a very important
part of the english cold table.

Peter Watson

baker 02-10-2004 01:55 AM

"anighta" > wrote in
lkaboutcooking.com:

> 12 large cucumbers (peeled, seeded, & diced)
> 1/4 cup course salt
> Combine in a large dutch oven or pot & let stand overnight. Drain
> Well in the morning.
> Add a pint of finely chopped onions to the mixture.
> Make a paste of the following:
> 2 cups vinegar
> 2 cups sugar
> 3 tblsp flour
> 1 tblsp dry mustard
> 1 tblsp tumeric
> 1 tblsp mustard seed
> 1 tblsp celery seed
>
> Simmer the paste until smooth and slightly thickened. Add to the
> cucumber/onion mixture and simmer for approx. 30 minutes. Fill hot
> clean pint jars with mixture and process in a boiling water canner for
> 20 minutes.
>
> This recipe is quite 'tart' and will make 7-8 pint jars. It is a
> delicious side dish and very good on burgers and sandwiches. Hope you
> Enjoy

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm going to give this a try very soon.

--
It's me, Baker!